Relocating Companies

Willem

STUTTAFORDS-KZN

We are using Stuttafgord for our 1/3 of a container load. Their quote was about the same as the other companies, but their customer service to date has been great. Packing on the 17th of November.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riekie

• Stuart and Jill

• serileen

• Navigator

STUTTAFORDS-KZN

We are using Stuttafgord for our 1/3 of a container load. Their quote was about the same as the other companies, but their customer service to date has been great. Packing on the 17th of November.

Hi J&j,

How were Stuttafords? We're thinking of using them to move a share container from Durban to Sydney. I was a bit worried about their quote though - all the R values in the t&cs were ridiculous (e.g. max R250 to cover expenses if they don't deliver on time, R30 to replace items...), and there seemed to be a lot of things excluded in the price.

Can anyone else recomend movers from Durban to Sydney - it sounds as though where you're moving from determines who's good to use!

Thanks

DOnt use Crown, my stuff was packed on 30 December, it is now 16 April AND MY STUFF STILL HASNT LEFT DBN AS YET!!!

Edited by candivw

Can anyone else recomend movers from Durban to Sydney - it sounds as though where you're moving from determines who's good to use!

Thanks

Call Don at Cargopak 031-5693491. They packed up out 40foot container, it left when they said it would, arrived when they said it would, and you will not find a more genuine, sincere man to deal with. No fancy frills, no power point presentations, just good, honest service!!

And price wise they were the second cheapest of the quotes we got.

DOnt use Crown, my stuff was packed on 30 December, it is now 16 December AND MY STUFF STILL HASNT LEFT DBN AS YET!!!

Eisch !! - maybe I need another cup of coffee this morning ?

Surely you mean "it is now 16 April" (not 16 December as in your post) ??

;)

We used Crown - and everything went according to their scheduled plan - well almost - as our container was ready to be delivered a few weeks early ..... almost before we had a house to move into ! (packed 10Nov08, arrived in Perth 24thDec08, cleared and ready for delivery 15Jan09 - expected time frame was 3 months to allow for the year-end break)

Just phone them to check - as we found that their 'tracking website' is not always up-to-date !

They did an excellent job - and even took AQIS to task (on our behalf) and won the argument by getting our super large wooden statue through customs undamaged (AQIS wanted to drill it full of holes every 20cm so their fumigation chemicals could penetrate) :ilikeit:

Edited by patrice

Eisch !! - maybe I need another cup of coffee this morning ?

Surely you mean "it is now 16 April" (not 16 December as in your post) ??

:blush:

We used Crown - and everything went according to their scheduled plan - well almost - as our container was ready to be delivered a few weeks early ..... almost before we had a house to move into ! (packed 10Nov08, arrived in Perth 24thDec08, cleared and ready for delivery 15Jan09 - expected time frame was 3 months to allow for the year-end break)

Just phone them to check - as we found that their 'tracking website' is not always up-to-date !

They did an excellent job - and even took AQIS to task (on our behalf) and won the argument by getting our super large wooden statue through customs undamaged (AQIS wanted to drill it full of holes every 20cm so their fumigation chemicals could penetrate) :ilikeit:

yes sorry have edited the date, unfortuantly we have phoned them, every week for the last 3 months and it hasnt left. We are using a shared container, our mates stuff is also in there and then a few more people. They have had long stories and I am at the point where I wanted them to drop my stuff back off in DBN with family and refund us, our mate said the same. However they now say that it will leave next week, so I am hoping it gets onto that ship ASAP! They also never return calls which also ticks me off. The gentleman who came to pack our stuff was ultra helpful etc but the office staff dont seem as good.

....... We are using a shared container, our mates stuff is also in there and then a few more people. .........

Aha, eina a shared container – !

you need read your 'conditions' - here is an extract from our Crown quote >

"Groupage consignments can only be shipped when there is sufficient cargo to fill a container. The Company cannot be held responsible for delays caused by insufficient cargo" :ilikeit:

I have heard of many frustrations (perceived as problems because they did not read the fine print - as above) with shared containers, with all companies, as they need to fill the container to make it economically viable. For example, my ‘heavy’ (swaer) waited for about 6 months for the arrival of his shared container, not because the company was no good, but only because they were waiting for a consignment to fill the container, which he knew of, and accepted. I guess, he learnt that you get what you paid for, and that you can't enjoy the 'shared container' cost saving and realistically expect the same prompt service (bread buttered both sides?).

Lesson – if at all possible – don’t go the shared container route, unless you are prepared to wait.................

Edited by patrice

Aha, a shared container – !

you need read your 'conditions' - here is an extract from our Crown quote >

"Groupage consignments can only be shipped when there is sufficient cargo to fill a container. The Company cannot be held responsible for delays caused by insufficient cargo"

I have heard of many frustrations (perceived as problems) with shared containers, with all companies as they need to fill the container to make it economically viable. For example, my ‘heavy’ (swaer) waited for about 6 months for the arrival of his shared container, not because the company was no good, but only because they were waiting for a consignment to fill the container, which he knew of, and accepted. I guess, he learnt that you get what you paid for, and that you can't enjoy the 'shared container' cost saving and realistically expect the same prompt service (bread buttered both sides?).

Lesson – if at all possible – don’t go the shared container route, unless you are prepared to wait…

With all due respect Patrice I was not going to pay for a WHOLE container when all I had was 1 cubic meter of stuff. Plus we were assured that there was enough stuff to full the container we were allocated, there was then a problem with some guys visa and his stuff couldnt sail. BUT on the other hand 2 of my friends took a whole container each, one had all her crockery break, the other one had her grand piano damaged beyond repair. So its not just me who has had bad experiences with Crown.

We used Magna from Jhb to Sydney, shared container. Nothing broken,stolen and waited 4 months, the only damage was on one of the paintings but that was from moisture. Overall their service from office staff in SA was not as prompt/handed over (especially during the seasonal leave period). Sydney contractors very effective, even came back the next day to pick up the boxes and packing materials the next day. I was not in SA during the packing period though. 283 cubic feet for just over R14 000

With all due respect Patrice I was not going to pay for a WHOLE container when all I had was 1 cubic meter of stuff. Plus we were assured that there was enough stuff to full the container we were allocated, there was then a problem with some guys visa and his stuff couldnt sail. BUT on the other hand 2 of my friends took a whole container each, one had all her crockery break, the other one had her grand piano damaged beyond repair. So its not just me who has had bad experiences with Crown.

Hey Candice

While I fully sympathise with your frustration - I beg to differ – in my opinion you are getting the service you accepted the conditions of (the fine print) and paid for. To call that a bad experience, when you (in your next post) actually supplied a valid reason for the delay (visa problems), which is soo obviously beyond the relocation companies’ control, is in my opinion unfair sensationalism. YES, vent your frustration, everyone here has very sympathetic ears and sometimes some good advice, but do it honestly and fairly, that means, with all the relavant facts, so that the reader understands that it is 'bad luck' (visa problems) and does not think that the company has been negligent.

And, ‘on the other hand’ (your quick topic change), to be responsible and fair, we sometimes need to be in touch with reality as well. Breakages happen in reality and are not limited to only one company - That Candice is what insurance is for. Yes, we to had a few breakages, including my paino, which they promptly had professionally repaired and/or paid for the replacement thereof – I must add, without any argument. I trust your friends you mentioned were fully insured and received the appropriate repairs and compensation ? (every 'half' story, has another untold 'half')

Oh, and by the way, talking of small consignments - for info > we also brought a 1.76 cubic meter container over on air freight, which arrived and was cleared and delivered 10 days after it was packed. We wanted our ‘essentials’ that could not fit into our 40kg luggage limit as soon as possible. So we piled all these ‘essentials’ (hair dryers, hair crimpers, finger nail kit and ultra violet light, shoes, handbags, computer, first aid kit, etc..etc) into a corner, they then ‘built’ a ‘custom’ wooden container to fit this into, and air freighted it over. As I said, we all should 'expect' what we paid for....

Anyway - Good luck and I hope your container arrives SOON :-)

Edited by patrice

can anyone help me???? my husband and i are wanting to share a container from dbn to brisbane, we prepared to wait the time period, but how much does it cost for half a 20 ft, who should i contact first and should we take our wooden diningroom table and chairs, if its going to wait at the docks, im scared the wood is going to miff :)

thanks michelle

can anyone help me???? my husband and i are wanting to share a container from dbn to brisbane, we prepared to wait the time period, but how much does it cost for half a 20 ft, who should i contact first and should we take our wooden diningroom table and chairs, if its going to wait at the docks, im scared the wood is going to miff :whome:

thanks michelle

Hi Michelle

I have said this a few times before, but cannot sing Don at Cargopak's praises high enough. Give them a call on 031-5693491. He was absolutely fabulous, and incredibly helpful. PM RoMar on the forum, I know she is looking at sending some stuff over, maybe you can get them in on your container too! Oil your furniture well before it is loaded.

Eva

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

We live in Durban.

We have had Elliotts, Pickfords and Stuttafords over so far, CargoPak coming tomorrow, and Bayleys on Thursday.

One thing I didn't like with Elliots is that we have a jembie drum, I was told we couldn't take it at all, when I told him it was my son's birthday present from my ex, he said no problem he will pack it in a box and mark it as an ornament. Also said I couldn't take my candles, said to him I would like to, and again - he would pack it inbetween glasses and stuff and call it ornaments. Asked him what happens if they inspect the box and find the drum or candles, and he said well then you just have to pay for the fumigation, destruction, whatever. That put me off - why take the chance by lying - and then be caught out - and then you will be suspected of hiding other stuff, and your entire container could be unpacked?? So I think I will not use Elliotts.

Pickfords was very professional, she gave the best information and service so far (she was at my house yesterday, and the quote arrived by email this morning).

Stuttafords was OK, she didn't say anything about the jembie drum though....

I have read quite a few good reports about Bayleys. Just ONE QUESTION. They use an agent called Durban Discount Removals in Durban - has ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE with DURBAN DISCOUNT REMOVALS and BAYLEYS? Although Bayleys might be brilliant, I have heard that agents sometime mess up.

Thanks in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had read these posts before I signed up with Crown in Cape Town. They were great in giving a quote, but after we signed and paid the deposit everything went downhill. I would NEVER recommend them to anybody. They packing was not done well, so we had quite a few breakages. Claiming was a nightmare and they wouldn't pay for everything. You just need to see what my fridge looks like to understand! They gave us the cheapest quote, but we ended up payind dearly. When we tried to put a claim in, they never returned calls for weeks on end. I ended up trying to call the Director in JHB, but they refused to put me through to him. Just one big nightmare.