Relocating Companies

Willem

CROWN

Hi all

Any suggestions on relocating companies, well from the previous forum it sounded like crown is the best, well if been to crowns offices yesterday and they look really professional.

Any suggestions and tips you guy's can share would be appreciated

They will be coming to our house tomorow to write down what 's going and then they will send me a quote on the container.

Thanks/Dankie

Willem

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riekie

• Stuart and Jill

• serileen

• Navigator

CROWN, MAGNA

Hi Willem,

Hmmm, this is a tricky one. I got Crown and Magna in to give me a quote and decided on Crown because they seemed to be more 'polished' - a decision I've since regretted. Once I'd signed and paid, I had to hound them to get feedback and information. My shipment was packed in October and didn't leave JHB till mid December. I called, threatened, begged, pleaded, theatened again - all to no avail. Very, very poor service from JHB. Fortunately, the staff here in Sydney were much better and once my shipment arrived, I got my stuff quickly. There were some breakages - all small, but quite a bit of stuff is missing - I think that perhaps a box has been stolen along the lines.

While I didn;t get the chance to see how Magna would have performed, I can say that they were very friendly, and even though they didn;t get my business, they called me regularly and wished me well on my departure - something Crown didn't bother with!

Be interested to see what others say - I know serileen had some problems with Crown as well.

Cheers, Ajay

CROWN

We had a very positive experience with Crown, moving from Pretoria to Perth. Our shipment arrived and cleared customs and quarentine in less than a month. We had no breakages or issues at all. I know some people who moved from other areas did experience problems with their service but I can really recommend the crew who packed and moved our stuff!!

CROWN

:lol: Hi Willem

Ajay don't get me started....will just spoil my weekend in the process.

I made use of Crown Cape Town , I will def. not recommend them to anybody.They were just not interested once they had the business , but very professional while trying to get it so don't be fooled.

At the Brisbane branch they never return your calls or maybe it is just when they hear it is me .

So Willem this is a difficult one to answer I know Lisa got a quote from Magna in Jo'burg.

Good luck with your decision :lol:

CROWN

Who-ever you decide to go with - do everything in writing and keep proof. If you have a question, do it by email etc. Keep copies of faxes etc and if you do have a telephone conversation with someone, write down the date, time and name of the person.

We went with Crown and the RSA side screwed up big time (was also very professional until our container was locked and the invoice paid). But in the same breath I should say that Crown Australia was absolutely professional and did an excellent job - the director even phoned me to apologise and they went out of their way to make up for the RSA blunders! (If we did not have proof of everything we would not have had a foot to stand on as even the management of Crown in RSA removed themselves from any blame! Because we had proof of everything, Crown Australia stepped in and rescued the situation).

So, I don't think the problem is Crown but maybe RSA moving companies in general - also from what I heard from other people using Crown or other moving companies. There is unfortunately no guarantee for a worry-free experience - some are lucky, and others not, even with the same removal companies....

MAGNA

We used MAGNA to shift our goods from Pretoria to Auckland early 2001. We had 4 quotes in total, but I can't remember the others now.

I can happily report that not a single item of our jam packed 20 foot container was missing, broken, cracked, dented, you name it. I have moved around Europe as well and the service MAGNA provided (at the time - may be different now) was just as good as the European movers.

What I found particularly helpful was that MAGNA also held 'moving seminars' not unlike the emigration seminars that agents do. I don't know whether they still provide that service though.

This side of the Tasman, John Scott removals did an equally superb job.

Has anybody used Magna from Cape Town?

Seems like Crown from CT is not a good idea then....

CROWN

Hallo julle

Ons afspraak met Crown was 15H00 vanmiddag,hulle het dit 15H00 gemaak want hulle kon nie dit later die dag doen nie en ek het gese ek is dan nog by die werk,ek het saamgestem met 15H00 toe en die hele familie gese en almal het n halwe dag afgevat by die werk om 15H00 daar te wees,ek het toe omtrent 12H00 n oproep van hulle gekry dat hulle dit nie vandag kan maak nie,ek se toe vir die vrou sy moet nie worry nie ek sal iemand anders kry want ons het klaar gereel vir 15H00,toe ewe skielik kan hulle dit 16H30 maak vandag,ek het klaar nie n goeie indruk van hulle gekry nie,as hulle nie eers betyds vir n afspraak kan wees nie hoe gaan hulle my goed betyds in Aus he.

Wel sal maar wag en sien wat se hulle nou-nou

Willem

ALLIED PICKFORDS

I've never used, but the most frequently mentioned in positive terms in the Middle East is Allied Pickfords. Perhaps you should investigate if they do from SA to Aus?

MAGNA

Hi Willem,

I contacted Magna for a quote who in turn came out to see us. We were very happy with their service. The quote was e-mailed to us straight away with the original couriered to us about 3 days later. Their service so-far has been outstanding and they go out their way to make a convenient time to see you.

NZ High, yes you are correct re: moving siminars. They still have them and unfortunately I missed the one they had in January but they are having one again soon.

Willem, I hope you come right with the removal company. Perhaps contact Magna as well and get quotes from both Crown and Magna and take it from there. But, once again, was very happy with Magna. I had alot of questions to ask and they put my mind at rest.

Lisa

AMPHIBIOUS FREIGHT

We have received a quotation of R31 000.00 from Amphibious Freight. This would be for a 30m3 container shipped from Cape Town to Perth. They were recommended by friends who relocated to Perth a few weeks ago.

I know it is still very early days, but they do appear to be very efficient. If anyone has had any experience with

Amphibious Freight please let us have your opinion.

Hi Lisa

Do you perhaps got a contact no for Magna??

Crown seems very proffesional but after payment looks like a problem.

Thanks

Willem

MAGNA

We got three removal companies to come and give us a quote. At this stage Magna is the cheapest. We decided to attend one of their seminars in Midrand. One of the advantages of going to the seminar, is that you get to hear some of the questions that other people ask, that you never think of asking. I was quite impressed with the seminar and it is likely we will use them. One of the points that was made at the seminar was that they use private agents on the other side (oz/nz/u.s.a/canada) therefore the service you get will be good if they want to keep their contract with Magna.

We just need to spring clean and give/throw away alot of stuff as all three companies told us that we will not fit our stuff into a standard size container(6 foot). Once all that is done they will then come and give us another quote and hopefully it will fit. We are only leaving in May so it gives me a bit of time to spring clean!!

MAGNA

We used Magna International 12 years ago when they only had one branch in SA, in Johannesburg. They moved us to Auckland NZ. Absolutely excellent - no complaints. Would absolutely recommend them to anybody wanting to make the move.

Hi Willem,

Magna contact number is (011) 824 0720. Ask for Tammy who is very helpful in assisting with booking an appointment and ask for Wayne to come and see you.

Let me know what you think and how it goes.

Good luck!!

Lisa

Hi Willem,

Magna contact number is (011) 824 0720. Ask for Tammy who is very helpful in assisting with booking an appointment and ask for Wayne to come and see you.

Let me know what you think and how it goes.

Good luck!!

Lisa

Lisa

I found the number on the web,Called them and spoke to,who? "Tammy", :) and who will she be sending to come see me,"Wayne" :(

Will let you know how it goes

And another plus for them is that they about 5km from my house

Cheers

Willem

CROWN, MAGNA

A report from Cape Town.

I e-mailed Crown, Antony phoned me back immediately, made an appointment, pitched up on time and I was impressed. I was promised a quote in three days time, on the latest today, and are still waiting. Hopefully they will be on time.

I e-mailed Magna, and got no response. I phoned Magna, spoke to Wilna, and they made an appointment. Then they postponed the meeting. Then they postponed the meeting again. Then they simply did not pitch up at the agreed time, and wanted to postpone again. I shoved them. Because I missed half a day by waiting for them. (Perhaps I can send them an invoice for my time).

Does anybody know of a reliable removal company?!?

EXECU-MOVE

Has anybody heard of a company called Execu-Move?

Biddulphs and Pickfords doesnt sound kosher as well...

Hi Otto

Anthony was the guy I dealt with as well.As I mentioned previously he was very professional until he had the business.He drove to Langebaan twice

After that it was all lies when it came to the crunch.If you do decide to deal with them please keep all paperwork incase you need it for some or other reason.

So good luck , this can be a difficult one. <_<

Serileen,

I dont have a clue what to do, wait for Magna to hopefully pitch up, or do Crown and take the risk. <_< I have a week to go.....

OTTO

Time is against you my friend <_< , and seeing that you are a risk taker , take the plunge with Crown . Just keep all paperwork.

Are we not all risk takers , otherwise we would never come to Aussieland :D

Yes, but we also like to limit the involvement of Mr Murphy by preparing well...

But if only we can eliminate the human factor!

Otto, you are obviously limited by time. Crown, Pickfords, Magna, and others are all the same really and reports of bad service and stolen/ broken items are often the result of personal experiences. Mine with Magna was good, albeit some 5 odd years ago.

Go for Crown if the Magna chaps don't turn up. You know what they say about first impressions. <_<

CROWN, MAGNA

Phoned Magna again, made an appointment, and again, 1 hour before the appointment, they cancelled. They would have phoned me yesterday, but again they didnt. Till this hour have heard NOTHING. I have never experienced such bad service.

So Crown it is.