Relocating Companies

Willem

BAILEY WORLDWIDE

I've had good reports from three different people who've used Bailey Worldwide for their relocations - 011 887 8923.

Another vote for Bailey Worldwide - friends of mine moved to Perth 2 years ago. The packers were excellent and took great care to ensure that everything was well protected. They were aware of all the regulations regarding what you could bring e.g. told them to scrub very thoroughly outdoors table and checked it so that it would clear (no soil remnants), advised them to respray an aluminium ladder which was looking a little scruffy in case that caused problems with the customs guys. All items arrived intact and my friends were very happy with their service.

Zoot

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riekie

• Stuart and Jill

• serileen

• Navigator

Hi

We are leaving on the 24th May and are looking for a good shipping company to use for a couple of boxes, the prices seem to be quite high.What we pay will determine what andhow much we shall be bringing with us.

Karl

Hallo

We moved from Cape Twon and used Crown removals. The service was excellent and things wnet smoothly without any issues

We looked at them and Stuttafords and the prices were the same

Cannot comment on any others

Thanx

Berndt

• 2 weeks later...

Our situation is a bit different as we want to move from NZ to Aus, but basically the same companies are to be found world wide. MAGNA is yet to return our numerous calls. Crown is coming to see us on Friday and NZ Van Lines are too busy to see us before end of May???? Allied Pickfords will see us next week, gave us a quick estimate, but also only after numerous calls....World Moving and storage gave us an estimate over the phone, but came in today to do an estimate. Another company has already given us a quote, their name escapes me now (sounds like Grace?), but their quote is for $11 000 from AKL to Griffith??? Sounds a bit steep as we only paid R30 000 in 2003 to move from Wellington (Cape Town) to Auckland with Allied Pickfords.

Our situation is a bit different as we want to move from NZ to Aus, but basically the same companies are to be found world wide. MAGNA is yet to return our numerous calls. Crown is coming to see us on Friday and NZ Van Lines are too busy to see us before end of May???? Allied Pickfords will see us next week, gave us a quick estimate, but also only after numerous calls....World Moving and storage gave us an estimate over the phone, but came in today to do an estimate. Another company has already given us a quote, their name escapes me now (sounds like Grace?), but their quote is for $11 000 from AKL to Griffith??? Sounds a bit steep as we only paid R30 000 in 2003 to move from Wellington (Cape Town) to Auckland with Allied Pickfords.
Hi Marlene,

We moved in 2003 from Auckland to Sydney. We used The Moving Company and if I remember correctly, they are in East Tamaki. I found a piece of their wrapping and the phone number is 0800 668 464 and their website is here.

We found their service excellent, their packing and wrapping of our stuff done very professionally and the price was really good. We had zero damage or breakages. They were also very fast in getting the packing done.

The company they used on this side has a different name, the name escapes me now. They were also excellent in offloading our stuff and very polite and helpful - Kiwis.

If you need more information, let me know then I can see if I can find the original invoice.

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

Hi all,

We loaded our container on the 29th of December 2006 and it arrived here at Port adelaide 8 weeks later.

We did not share a container as there was no price difference between a shared or a whole container. I know a shared one will take longer because they have to wait for someone to fill the other half and that may take weeks or months. We used Bayleys Worldwide Travels and they were fast and professional. Those guys knew how to pack and crate your valuables, we did not have one brakeage or scratch. They use their own boxes, white paper and bubblewrap, you do nothing. Contact Brenda Bayley, her number is in the yellow pages.

Regards

Betsy. :ilikeit:

We used Biddulphs and were very happy with them and also no break breakages - 6yrs ago they were the cheapest quote compared to Magna, Stuttafords, Allied Pickfords and some others we compared to. They came in and packed/wrapped/loaded everything.

However what did amaze me - On the S.A. side we had a team of at least 15 come in to wrap, pack and load. On the Aus side it was 3blokes - admittedly they only unloaded the containers - we unpacked.

Just check that your contract includes unpacking on this side

Rgds

matman

Hi Marlene,

We moved in 2003 from Auckland to Sydney. We used The Moving Company and if I remember correctly, they are in East Tamaki. I found a piece of their wrapping and the phone number is 0800 668 464 and their website is here.

We found their service excellent, their packing and wrapping of our stuff done very professionally and the price was really good. We had zero damage or breakages. They were also very fast in getting the packing done.

The company they used on this side has a different name, the name escapes me now. They were also excellent in offloading our stuff and very polite and helpful - Kiwis.

If you need more information, let me know then I can see if I can find the original invoice.

SAS

Thank you heaps! I have contacted them, just waiting for a reply. They are very close to us!

• 2 weeks later...

What have your experiences been with movers. Who gives good service with reasonable prices. I'm getting a range of quotes and some of the service leave a lot to be desired and these are from big names.

Santosh

• 3 weeks later...

Opening this topic .... anything new as I had a representative of Crown in my house yesterday and waiting for a quote. Waiting for Biddulphs on Thursday.

Hi MANDYL

Beteken dit jy is al oppad? waarheen gaan julle in Aus?

Ons gebruik Allied Pickford - die coy waarheen my man gaan gebruik hulle. Hulle begin more ons goed pak, en Vrydag vetrek die Container.

Hi Maxie, Ja my man het 'n sponsor gekry alhoewel ons 136 ook in die pyplyn is gaan ons solank oor op die sponsorship. Hy moet die 9de Julie inklok by sy werk in 'n plek met die naam van Wagga Wagga. Hy was daar so 3 weke terug en baie beindruk gewees so nou pak ons. Sal Pickfords bel. Ek sien Crown het nie so goed gedoen op die forum nie. Die outjie wat gisteraand daar was het 'n goeie indruk op ons gemaak maar lyk my die "goeie indruk" hou net totdat die geld in die bank is..... Waarna toe gaan julle ?

I used Magna in late 2000 for a move from Jhb to Aruba, and they were fantastic ! No regrets, and will even be looking into them again for the Aruba - Auz move (if they work here too!).

There price was the most reasonable too....

Cheers!

Contact details for Magna:

Johannesburg - Head Office

Contact Person Lynda Flexmore

Physical Address Cnr Kelvin & Milne Str, Spartan X12, Kempton Park, 1620

Postal Address P.O.Box 3968, Kempton Park, 1620

Telephone Number +27 (0) 11 975 8606

Facsimile Number +27 (0) 11 975 8231

Email removals@jhb.magna.co.za

Cape Town

Contact Person Lynn Bezuidenhout

Physical Address 20 Goodenough Avenue, Epping Industria Ext 2, 7460

Postal Address P O Box 28016, Bothasig, Cape Town 7406

Telephone Number +27 (0) 21 535 4231

Facsimile Number +27 (0) 21 535 4234

Email removals@ct.magna.co.za

Durban

Contact Person Hayley PALM

Physical Address 19 Hillclimb Road, Westmead, Pine town 3608

Postal Address P O Box 15036, Westmead, 3608

Telephone Number +27 (0) 31 700 4410

Facsimile Number +27 (0) 31 700 3366

Email removals@dbn.magna.co.za

Pietermaritzburg

Contact Person Michelle BLOMEFIELD

Physical Address Block A, Ground floor Deloittes House, 181 Berg Street, Pietermaritzburg, 3201

Postal Address P O Box 21983, Mayors Walk, Pietermaritzburg, 3201, South Africa

Telephone Number +27 (0) 33 394 7800

Facsimile Number +27 (0) 33 345 5159

Email removals@pmb.magna.co.za

We used Elliotts. Very impressed with allround service. We got three quotes. Elliotts were the last ones we had an appointment with and yet we got their quote next day - 3 days before the next best. Packing crew were courteous, professional and efficient. Unfortunately on arrival in Australia we found our TV unit was damaged (which I suspect happened during the quarantine inspection in Fremantle), but the claim was processed and approved speedily and with a minimum of red tape and fuss. Money for replacement unit deposited in our account within a week and a half from the date we lodged the claim with Elliotts. At all times, everyone went out of their way to help us and make us feel that our belongings were in safe hands.

Stuttafords!

We got 4 quotes: Pickfords, Stuttafords, Crown & Magna. All were very good, but we went with Stuttafords because of their reputation, AND, believe this or not, they came in with the best quote!!!!! The very next day after they saw us ;)

They are packing on Monday & Tuesday, and we are flying on Thursday :blush:

BIDDULPHS!!!! Man I was dissapointed!!! We used them locally for moves, and was very happy!!! I phoned them twice to come and give me a quote, they never came back to me!!!!!!

Stuttafords!

We got 4 quotes: Pickfords, Stuttafords, Crown & Magna. All were very good, but we went with Stuttafords because of their reputation, AND, believe this or not, they came in with the best quote!!!!! The very next day after they saw us :blush:

Ek stem. Ons het ook die goedkoopste quote van Stuttafords afgekry en die vrou wat ons kom sien het was baie behulpsaam, vriendelik en profesioneel.

Groete

Michelle

Interesting.

We used ALLIED PICKFORDS a few years ago when we moved to the US and had great service. I guess things change and it just depends who you get that day.

Stuttafords sounds good. Think when the move come, will try to get everyone to give me a quote and take it form there.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Take care,

Michele

to save a buck or 2 we need to itemise all our valuables for the insurance. I've got some prices but need for instance on CD's, dvd's sleeper couch etc. Can anyone help with a website I can visit of a big store that sells everything for reasonable prices.

Hi,

We used Biddulphs and they were terrible.

They assured us that our home's contents would fit into a 20ft container but when it came to packing we had boxes and furniture that didnt fit in, so five months down the line and R4000 more, we are still waiting for the seven "overflow" items to arrive.

My antique dining room table had one of the legs snapped off because of the way they packed the container. I asked the packers to remove the legs, which obviously they didnt do.

There were other breakages. A lamp broken in half etc

The packing wasnt done as they said it would be. A lot of empty spaces were left just like that, empty when linen etc could have been packed into the spaces.

We had washed and packed some antique plates and put them into a bottom drawer of a chest of drawers and when our furniture arrived the plates were still in the drawer. The packers hadnt even seen them!! And I personally pointed out that there were items in the drawer.

We still havent found the bolts that put the head and foot board onto our bed!! Again I pointed out how important it was to have the bolts packed into the same box as the head board but this was ignored.

AND the worse thing is that communication from Biddulphs has been non existant. If it were not for the insurance company who I put the claim in with I wouldnt have a clue as to what is happening with the furniture that hasnt arrived yet.

I was told that it had been put onto a container in May then I was told that they "missed the container" and we will now have to wait another month. All this time they have had my R4000!!! But Im beginning to wonder if I will ever see the rest of my furniture again.

Once we had paid over the money thats where the service stopped.

Regards

Tazz (Shelley)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bellas

Yes, we used Stuttafords to move to Sydney. Of the 4 quotes, they came in with the best one, and so far we've been VERY happy & impressed with them ;)

We've been in Sydney a week now, and they came to pack up the house about 2 weeks ago. The packers were very professional and trustworthy, the packaging they used was very impressive!!! ALL the furniture was wrapped with something that is cartonand plastic on the outside, with bubble wrap on the inside. They made an inventory of everything in the house, and marked all the boxes. ut we warned, anything you don't want packed, make sure it's not in their way, otherwise it'll be packed :ilikeit:

THe next day they finished packing, and loaded the container. They were in contact with us all the time, and so far so good. We have now paid, and I think the container is awaiting it's ship to go.

So far, so good. I found them very professional, efficient, and ON TIME!!!!

Good luck! I could recommend them so far :ilikeit:

Guest colton

We used Stuttafords from Durban to Gold Coast. Very impressed with their service and even though their quote was one of the steeper ones they brought it in line with everyone else when I mentioned I would prefer to use them. I had lots of glass things to pack, including huge mirrors and a piano, and everything arrived safely and intact. I thought it was better to use a reputable company in case of any follow ups needed and am quite happy to refer them to others.