Our first week in Melbourne

Ungerers (Tanja U)

Hi There

We are coming across to Melbourne from Durban end Aug mid Sept. Our thoughts are Doncaster East / Templestowe. Any ideas on schooling for Gr 2 (we have twins). I think at the moment that is more stressful for me than the accommodation side.

Regards

Jax

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ungerers (Tanja U)

• Leon/Lou

• Dan Tanne

• jax and jens

Hi There

We are coming across to Melbourne from Durban end Aug mid Sept. Our thoughts are Doncaster East / Templestowe. Any ideas on schooling for Gr 2 (we have twins). I think at the moment that is more stressful for me than the accommodation side.

Regards

Jax

Hi,

Do you want to go public schools? I can find out for you regarding schools but can not recommend as my kids are still toddlers and I don't have experience in schools.

Let me know

Tanja

Hi There

Regards

Jax

Hi Jax,

Also consider Wantirna, it is approximately 11km's south-east of Doncaster East. Wantirna is a lovely suburb and also have excellent public schools. I would recommend Templeton Primary School if you intent sending your kids to a public school or the Knox School if you prefer an independent school. Our kids are in Templeton Primary (Grade 0 & 4) and are really happy there. (See links below)

Templeton Primary

Wantirna Primary

Knox School

Wantirna College

Regards

DdP

Welcome to Melbourne.

I have only been here 5 months, but have learned alot in such a short time.

PM me if you want any advice (the limited amount I can give) and I will be glad to help.

It is great to hear success stories like this. I think the main thing is that you have the right attitude. Just jump in and swim. Hope that you find a great place.

Allison

Hi thanks guys for all your advice with regards to schools. We are considering Public Schools - just heard that Private is better, but costs are very different so would prefer public for primary and can always look at private for senior. Will look at links.

Thanks again and see you all soon (we hope !!!!!) House just not selling.

Jax :P

Hi thanks guys for all your advice with regards to schools. We are considering Public Schools - just heard that Private is better, but costs are very different so would prefer public for primary and can always look at private for senior. Will look at links.

Thanks again and see you all soon (we hope !!!!!) House just not selling.

Jax :rolleyes:

hI , WE ARE IN pmb AND ALSO BATTLING TO SELL THE HOUSE! JUST SENT A MAIL TO TEMPLETON PRIMARY, FOLLOW THE LINK IN THAT PREVIOUS POST...LOOKS GOOD.ANYONE KNOW WHAT SORT OF FEES WE ARE LOOKING AT, GOING ON 457 VISA

gOOD LUCK WITH THE HOUSE THING!!!

Hi Guys,

Another weekend another bargain hunting trip. You guys won't believe what we have bought this weekend. Went on my new famous website gumtree (second famous to this one) and saw a ad for a lounge suite for $150. Phone the guy, he is from Sri Lanka. Went to his house in Birwick, a bit far out to drive but scenic. (I'm talking 40 minutes)

Got there and he showed us all the furniture he wanted to sell and he sold us another huge lounge suite and a tumble dryer all for $900.

So I got a lounge suite consisting of a 3 seater, 2 seater and 1 seater and in really good condition. It was their formal lounge suite and harly been used

Another lounge suite with 2 x 2 seater couches. Very modern and only a year old

The tumble dryer that she has just bought a year ago but does not use it

They ended up telling us they have lots of saffer friends and they love the Bokke and support them. We had a bit of a chat and enjoyed their company.

What a great day, bought great bargains and met very nice foreigners that we would have never met.

Guys, once again. It can be done, do not fear.

We have spend now in total: $2200 dollars and just need to buy our bed, a TV and a washing machine. We have budgeted $5000 to kit the house so I have $2700 left which is way plenty for crockery and bedding.

God is so good to us.

Cheers

T

Julle is SKITTER BLINK STERRETJIES!!!! Ek is soooo bly julle beaam wat ek nog al die tyd se!!

'n Mens kan Australie toe kom en survive op 'n shoe sting budget!! Mens moet net wil!!!

Things are really sounding great for your family that side. Thanks for letting us in on your budget. Im now really wondering if the container will be worth it or not ?

You still have loads of money left over. Like you, second hand stuff has never bothered me, I have loads of it, and just love a bargain.

Take care and keep us posted.

Thanks guys,

Another bargain today. Bought a queen size wooden bed with headboard and footpiece (new modern) with mattress for $300, whoohoo.

Keep on going...and going...and going :thumbdown::ilikeit:

Must say we bought some new stuff too today, for those that said we can not get a cam corder for under $300. We bought a Sony Handycam cam corder with touch panel LCD display for $220 at Target (was on sale)

We bought a 68cm Tube television for $200 - No name brand

We bought a 1.7 litre kettle for $9.99,

Toaster $9.99,

Iron $26.95 (wanted a heavier and more durable one),

Quilt Cover set with Pillow cases (Duvet Cover soos ons hom noem) $35.60

Goose Feather Quilt (Duvet) $139.99 - You can get much cheeper for Synthetic but I love my feather duvet

Bath sheet Towels (The big ones) - $9.99 each

Extra Pillow Cases $7.99

Fitted Sheet $19.99

Flat Sheet $19.99

Last few items, a washing machine, crockery and other kitchen ware. I went to look at new washing machines but can't see that we have to spend $700 on a 5kg basic washing machine. I went to Harvey Norman and a few other places but the average is between $500 - $700 for something decent.

Oh another things worth mentioning is that I have two boys one which wears full time nappies and the other only when he sleeps. I was a pampers mom but decided the first day to try the coles nappies. You wouldn't have caught me dead buying cuddlers or any no name brand for my boys. I tried the coles nappies and they are great. It has the same feel as the Huggies nappies. It does not have the elastic strips but I do prefer them without. I paid $9.99 for 26 nappies where I saw the Huggies for the same amount of nappies for $15.99.

Anyway, just my thoughts

Another option is to visit the auction houses like greysonline - many a bargain to be had here

Grays Online

They have online as well as warehouse auctions

Rgds

Matman

hI , WE ARE IN pmb AND ALSO BATTLING TO SELL THE HOUSE! JUST SENT A MAIL TO TEMPLETON PRIMARY, FOLLOW THE LINK IN THAT PREVIOUS POST...LOOKS GOOD.ANYONE KNOW WHAT SORT OF FEES WE ARE LOOKING AT, GOING ON 457 VISA

gOOD LUCK WITH THE HOUSE THING!!!

Hi Leon / Lou

What I can understand the public schools in Melbourne are between $180 and R220 with some other additional voluntary extras. In Victoria a 457 Visa qualifies for the government education subsidy. Hope i'm right about this ! Hope you get the house sold and hold thumbs for us.

Jax

Hi Leon / Lou

What I can understand the public schools in Melbourne are between $180 and R220 with some other additional voluntary extras. In Victoria a 457 Visa qualifies for the government education subsidy. Hope i'm right about this ! Hope you get the house sold and hold thumbs for us.

Jax

Hi Jax and Jens,

Have looked on the Educationsite and you are right, VIC does give the subsidised schooling to Temp residents, not like some of the other states...phew! What a relief, was starting to get worried. Have you guys decided about Container vs Start over?

Just to let you know, I did a Virtual Shop on the IKEA website lastnight, all in all for furniture for the whole house excl appliances, cutlery+crockery and linen = AUD 3822!!! Could not believe it, so we have decided to brave it and go with our suitcases and ship only our most precious things which are irreplacable/not essential (photo's, pictures, toys, computer, some kitchen goods). Magna quoted us R43000 excluding insurance.......for that we could buy all new furniture, i think

Still no bites re: house..how about you. Holding thumbs for you guys too.

• 1 month later...

Hi NAL,

Just saw yournote to Tanya, we are thinking of living in Doncaster. Can you recommend any good high schools. Kids quite sporty but coming from private schools in Jhb. We possibly can't afford private schools in Melbourne but Catholic schools only. Any ideas on schools in your area would be great.

Many thanks,

Linda f :ilikeit:

thanks Tanya for all your sharing! This is so invaluable for us still on the other side! The silly, little so important stuff. For eveyone else arriving, please share in the same way. Every time i read on of these threads i am a little bit more prepared for our own arrival.

Thanks again and so happy to hear that you are well on your way to getting settled!

Al

Thank you for all the links and info about stocking the house. Got to buy some stuff soon and it will be long before the container comes. We also need to get beds (onlny shipped the bunk bed and major appliances).

Thank you for all the links and info about stocking the house. Got to buy some stuff soon and it will be long before the container comes. We also need to get beds (onlny shipped the bunk bed and major appliances).

Hi Pilly,

Let me know if I can help in any way, where are you based? PM me if you want to chat?

Thanks

Tanja

Hi Tanja

You have given me some light at the end of the tunnel. I am arriving in Melbourne on the 6th of August (knowing no one there) and even though my future company is helping me out with accommodation and transport for the first month I have to start the process of finding a place to stay and turn it into some sort of a livable home by the time my fiance arrives a month or two later.

The saddest part :blush: was dropping off of our two cats at my cousin's farm this past weekend... at least we know they will have a royal time on the farm and will be spoiled rotten by him and his future wife, almost as much as we did. The male (Timothy) is a biltong fanatic and will now get it in vast quantities and the female (catmatix) will be able to catch birds and mice to her hart's content. We will miss them (oooh, yes, and the family also) very, very much, but we knew this was not going to be a walk in the park (brief pause while I wipe the odd tear off the keyboard). At least the spitbraai was one to remember (and yes, the question was asked if the Aussies do Kangaroo on a spit and I can safely say, I have no idea if they do or not). :)

Anyway... Can't wait to get there... See everybody in Melbourne soon.

Arno (and Caroline)

I thought I would add to the comments regarding the nappies.

My wife bought the huggies, or pampers, or whatever the brand is that she likes, and then bought the cheap coles brand for the creche as we had to supply nappies.

The coles nappies were 100% perfect and we have now started buying them instead for at home.

If anyone reading this thread is in the Bayside or Glen Eira area, there is a store called Panasales. (Cnr Napean Highway and North Road) Here you can get white goods, tv sets, dvd players etc etc etc etc at a fraction of the new price. They are either "seconds" or reconditioned items, but come with a guarantee.

I bought a 51cm colour tv with a built in DVD player for my place while waiting for my container to arrive, and now have given it to the kids. Cost $140. BARGAIN!

Oh another thing.

Harvey Norman is great, but check out the good guys as well.

I never brought any of my white goods with me, and chose to rather buy new when we got here.

I got a large side by side Samsung fridge/freezer and as a special I got a 22 inch Samsung LCD TV. All I had to do was send the barcode and copy of the receipt to Samsung and they sent me the tv.

This was a while ago and this special is no longer running, but keep a look out for others like this.

Hi NAL,

Just saw yournote to Tanya, we are thinking of living in Doncaster. Can you recommend any good high schools. Kids quite sporty but coming from private schools in Jhb. We possibly can't afford private schools in Melbourne but Catholic schools only. Any ideas on schools in your area would be great.

Many thanks,

Linda f :whome:

Hi Linda

Greetings....

I am not sure if you are looking for Catholic Schools in the Doncaster area or in Melbourne in general.

If you are enquiring about State schools then there are more than 30 schools in the Doncaster, East Doncaster, Donvale, Templestowe, Lower Templestowe, Park Orchards areas. Mitcham and Blackburn (a little on the outskirts of the Doncaster East area)

You can get from one suburb to the other very easily as they are very close to each other.

NAL

Hi Tanja

You have given me some light at the end of the tunnel. I am arriving in Melbourne on the 6th of August (knowing no one there) and even though my future company is helping me out with accommodation and transport for the first month I have to start the process of finding a place to stay and turn it into some sort of a livable home by the time my fiance arrives a month or two later.

The saddest part :whome: was dropping off of our two cats at my cousin's farm this past weekend... at least we know they will have a royal time on the farm and will be spoiled rotten by him and his future wife, almost as much as we did. The male (Timothy) is a biltong fanatic and will now get it in vast quantities and the female (catmatix) will be able to catch birds and mice to her hart's content. We will miss them (oooh, yes, and the family also) very, very much, but we knew this was not going to be a walk in the park (brief pause while I wipe the odd tear off the keyboard). At least the spitbraai was one to remember (and yes, the question was asked if the Aussies do Kangaroo on a spit and I can safely say, I have no idea if they do or not). :ilikeit:

Anyway... Can't wait to get there... See everybody in Melbourne soon.

Arno (and Caroline)

Hi Arno,

Please PM me if there is anything we can help with when you just arrive.

Take Care

Tanja

• 4 weeks later...
So guys don't be affraid, it can be done.

The Ungerers from Centurion/Melbourne

Hi Tanja U,

I enjoyed this mail and the subsequent thread. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the rest of us! I learnt a lot and was totally inspired! We have decided to ship a container over, even if only because we have SO many books between us - books that can never be replaced. Although, we are planning on bringing our household furniture with us (there's plenty room in a 6 meter container!) we will probably dump the older stuff and buy good 2nd-hand ones once we land in Melbourne too. :ilikeit:

Another great tip that you shared was not to stress about accommodation until we get there! Temp accommodation will do just fine until container arrives and we have found our dream home... :ilikeit:

Amazing how much clarity comes when people are willing to share their experiences! Thanks again, and God/dess bless!

Rgds

Andi

Hi Tanja U,

I enjoyed this mail and the subsequent thread. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the rest of us! I learnt a lot and was totally inspired! We have decided to ship a container over, even if only because we have SO many books between us - books that can never be replaced. Although, we are planning on bringing our household furniture with us (there's plenty room in a 6 meter container!) we will probably dump the older stuff and buy good 2nd-hand ones once we land in Melbourne too. :ilikeit:

Another great tip that you shared was not to stress about accommodation until we get there! Temp accommodation will do just fine until container arrives and we have found our dream home... :ilikeit:

Amazing how much clarity comes when people are willing to share their experiences! Thanks again, and God/dess bless!

Rgds

Andi

It is a pleasure,

We have now been here almost 3 months and it has been an awesome experience so far.

We have made some friends, some from the forum and others that we met along the way.

I have eventually found a job after 2 months of stressing and searching. I must be honest, I do not have any qualifiations except on job experience and although I had a "high profile" job in SA I found it difficult to find a job in the sales sector as I do not know the australian industry and I am not familliar with the areas (to drive around)

But, I prayed alot and took some steps back and now I found a job as a sales consultant/representative and will work myself up again or perhaps just stay where I am and enjoy being a foot soldier for a change.

I think people must just be realistic when they come over, not all people find a job immediately and yes there are alot of jobs out there but when you start to narrow it down to your experience and qualifications it is sometimes very limited. I applied for round about 20 jobs, went for 3 interviews and got the 3rd job. I was declined for the other position because, I would be bored or I was over qualified. What ever, at least now I have a job and it is actually nicer then the previous two and I get all the perks such as a company car etc.

Hubby is also now settled in at work and his company is very good to us. He is also getting a new company car now and it is so exciting cause we can buy something realy nice that we like and we do not have to pay for it, I am leaving the car buying decision to him but go with him for a second opinion or just to ooooh and aaah about the cars.

I am also currently busy recruiting an au pair and I think I hope to find the right person soon.

We have settled in at city life church and joined a life group as well. We have met some more south africans as well as other nationals serving the same God

At the end I sit back at night when the kids go to bed and I can truly say, I feel at home, yes I miss my family alot but hey, they must come and visit or we will go to sa but I am not leaving this country ever only if I am forcefully removed.

Anyway, got to go have some car hunting to do.

Take Care

Tanja