Our first week in Melbourne

Ungerers (Tanja U)

Hey All,

Weve been in Oz, Melbourne for a week and what an experience. We were a bit tired for the first two days and hubby started work on the 3rd which was monday.

We are currently staying in Crystal Brook caravan park and for my two kids (2,5 and 13 months) they think they are on holiday.

I have been on the internet every day to find a property, what a job. Don't even look at property before you leave. Best thing is to go on realestate.com.au and only click on properties that are now open for inspection. The agents here are not interested in showing you around privately. You go to the open house and hand in your application and wait and see what happens.

The other option is to go to the realestate firm in your area and get a list of properties open for inspection. They update the list on a weekly basis.

My advice to you all is to first see where you want to work or are going to work and then look for property. We had such an set idea of where we wanted to stay and now everything is totally different. We have actually found a nice church, saw a nice area around the church and it is not too far from hubbies work.

Last weekend we decided to go into Melbourne City and the boys enjoyed the train ride, now all they want to do is ride on the train so we are taking them again tomorrow. That in itself is a treat on its own.

I never thought that I will get used to the new shops and was a bit scared to say the least but I have managed to find what I am looking for and all the shop's no name brands or home brands are very good. I never use to buy no name brand in SA but here I find the quality good and it's affordable. Things that i could not find, hot chocolate, theirs are made with milk, viennas, only american dogs and expensive for 4.

But for the rest, it is great!

Hubbies first week was also very good. His employer is great and they actually give him each afternoon off to do some property hunting. The people so far has been very friendly and helpful. 2 Great positives has been traffic and peoples general attitude. I've heard 3 tooters so far and haven't seen any yellow lane driving, people cutting infront of you, light flashing or any of the daily onroad antics of SA. This all leaves you feeling completely stress free while traveling. Make no mistake, there's lots of traffic here, but there's also lots of roads you can choose from. People's attitude also seem a little different here, it's as if everyone has time for the next person. You don't get that rushed feeling, for instance going to the bank - you actually have a decent conversation with the teller. So far so good.

Anyway, we have put an application for a property so please all who do believe, pray for us that we get this property as we can see ourself settle there.

Oh, another thing. We sold all our stuff and did not bring a container. We basically have $7000 to buy everything. It was a very daunting thought as I went online in south africa and saw the price of the goods here. But once you are here you find the bargains. I managed to buy the following from a lady that is immigrating back to taiwan and the goods are all in a very good condition, she has bought it only 2 years ago.

Here is my second hand list to give you an idea and the goods are all in great condition.

281 l Samsung fridge freezer $320

4 seater dining room set $80

Ikea tv stand $35

Dark wood bunker beds with matresses $380

JVC Micro component system $160

Futon $25

7 piece dining room set $370

Sharp microwave $50

We only need to buy now a lounge suite, bed for us and all the bits in pieces for the kitchen and bedding, TV, Washing machine and tumble dryer.

So guys don't be affraid, it can be done.

We have made our first visit to the doctors last night as both my boys have bronchitis. The dr was an eastern doctor but great. The service at the drs room was great. We are on IMAN medical bacause we are on a 457 visa and we did not have our medical cards yet but the medical aids said we must just pay it and claim back. For both consultations we paid $98 and for the antibiotics and meds $60. The dr told us where is the closest pediatric hospital incase we ever have a emergency and also gave us some tips.

Anyway, We will touch base again once we have settled and have some more exciting news

Chat soon

The Ungerers from Centurion/Melbourne

Edited by Ungerers (Tanja U)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ungerers (Tanja U)

• Leon/Lou

• Dan Tanne

• jax and jens

Great to hear that you settling in well there. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the info and keep it coming!

Hope your boys get well soon, and thank you for the encouragement, it helps to get rid of some fears over here on this side!

Rgds,

Jeanne

Hey All,

Weve been in Oz, Melbourne for a week and what an experience. We were a bit tired for the first two days and hubby started work on the 3rd which was monday.

We are currently staying in Crystal Brook caravan park and for my two kids (2,5 and 13 months) they think they are on holiday.

I have been on the internet every day to find a property, what a job. Don't even look at property before you leave. Best thing is to go on realestate.com.au and only click on properties that are now open for inspection. The agents here are not interested in showing you around privately. You go to the open house and hand in your application and wait and see what happens.

The other option is to go to the realestate firm in your area and get a list of properties open for inspection. They update the list on a weekly basis.

My advice to you all is to first see where you want to work or are going to work and then look for property. We had such an set idea of where we wanted to stay and now everything is totally different. We have actually found a nice church, saw a nice area around the church and it is not too far from hubbies work.

Last weekend we decided to go into Melbourne City and the boys enjoyed the train ride, now all they want to do is ride on the train so we are taking them again tomorrow. That in itself is a treat on its own.

I never thought that I will get used to the new shops and was a bit scared to say the least but I have managed to find what I am looking for and all the shop's no name brands or home brands are very good. I never use to buy no name brand in SA but here I find the quality good and it's affordable. Things that i could not find, hot chocolate, theirs are made with milk, viennas, only american dogs and expensive for 4.

Hubbies first week was also very good. His employer is great and they actually give him each afternoon off to do some property hunting. The people so far has been very friendly and helpful. 2 Great positives has been traffic and peoples general attitude. I've heard 3 tooters so far and haven't seen any yellow lane driving, people cutting infront of you, light flashing or any of the daily onroad antics of SA. This all leaves you feeling completely stress free while traveling. Make no mistake, there's lots of traffic here, but there's also lots of roads you can choose from. People's attitude also seem a little different here, it's as if everyone has time for the next person. You don't get that rushed feeling, for instance going to the bank - you actually have a decent conversation with the teller. So far so good.

Anyway, we have put an application for a property so please all who do believe, pray for us that we get this property as we can see ourself settle there.

Oh, another thing. We sold all our stuff and did not bring a container. We basically have $7000 to buy everything. It was a very daunting thought as I went online in south africa and saw the price of the goods here. But once you are here you find the bargains. I managed to buy the following from a lady that is immigrating back to taiwan and the good is all in a very good condition, she has only bought it 2 years ago.

Here is my second hand list to give you an idea and the goods are all in great condition.

Ikea tv stand $35

Futon $25

Sharp microwave $50

We only need to buy now a lounge suite, bed for us and all the bits in pieces for the kitchen and bedding, TV, Washing machine and tumble dryer.

We have made our first visit to the doctors last night as both my boys have bronchitis. The dr was an eastern doctor but great. The service at the drs room was great. We are on IMAN medical bacause we are on a 457 visa and we did not have our medical cards yet but the medical aids said we must just pay it and claim back. For both consultations we paid $98 and for the antibiotics and meds $60. The dr told us where is the closest pediatric hospital incase we ever have a emergency and also gave us some tips.

Anyway, We will touch base again once we have settled and have some more exciting news

Chat soon

WOW ... dit wil gedoen wees.

That has just given me so much inspiration.

I am a single mom of two and has just started with the whole process.

I am a beleiver and will pray for your property that you want to move into too.

Well got to run again.

Strongs to you and the family you in my prayers......

You are an inspiration to me ...to keep going for this long process that awaits me.

Always

Jana

Hey All,

Oh, another thing. We sold all our stuff and did not bring a container. We basically have $7000 to buy everything. It was a very daunting thought as I went online in south africa and saw the price of the goods here. But once you are here you find the bargains. I managed to buy the following from a lady that is immigrating back to taiwan and the good is all in a very good condition, she has only bought it 2 years ago.

Ikea tv stand $35

Futon $25

Sharp microwave $50

Chat soon

Hi Tanja

You are probily glad you are there. No more waiting like us. I envy you. We still have so much to do.

We also are sitting with the Question - do we take a container or do we sell everything..

Good luck with the house hunting.

ALIDA :ilikeit:

26/05/2008 Apply for Unabridged birth and Marriage Certificates

02/06/2008 Book and pay for IELTS test

25/05/2008 Hubby starts working on his skills assessment

04/06/2008 House is in the market

07/06/2008 Husband sold his bussness

Hi Thanks for sharing.

Good to know you can start up home on a budget - Always a worry.

One always hears of how expensive things are. :blink:

Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck with the home and hope the boys get well soon.

HI Tanya

sounds lively - wish we were there.

I'm esp looking forward to the road users. was thinking about it today ...all the aggression.

we are also hoping to go to Melbourne ...

Antoinette

Thanks for this post - it helps a lot, esp the part about looking for somewhere to rent. I have been stressing about this.

Penny

Hey All,

Hi Ungerers

So glad to hear everything is going well in Melbourne.

In which area are you looking to settle? I know a good estate agent who is keen to look after South Africans (not a South African himself) if you would like his details, please PM me. That is if you don't get the property you've put your hopes on!

And feel free to contact us if you need some assistance on something.

Great to hear that you settling in well there. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the info and keep it coming!

Hope your boys get well soon, and thank you for the encouragement, it helps to get rid of some fears over here on this side!

Rgds,

Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne,

It is all like a puzzle, when you are in south africa the pieces doesn't quite fit but once you are here the whole picture comes together.

Just keep on believing!

Cheers

T

WOW ... dit wil gedoen wees.

That has just given me so much inspiration.

I am a single mom of two and has just started with the whole process.

I am a beleiver and will pray for your property that you want to move into too.

Well got to run again.

Strongs to you and the family you in my prayers......

You are an inspiration to me ...to keep going for this long process that awaits me.

Always

Jana

Hi Jana,

Dankie vir die mooi woorde, ek hoop jou proses gaan sommer vinnig en loop goed af want Oz is 'n amazing plek om jou kinders groot te maak, veral as jy 'n single mamma is.

Dit is wonderlik dat jy jou kinders hierdie geleentheid bied.

Onthou, al is jy alleen in 'n vreemde land, hier is baie ander mammas wat ook alleen is wanneer hulle mans werk, ons help graag (solank jy net in Melbourne is dat dit reachable is :jester: )

Ek bid vir julle 3!

Groete

T

Hi Tanja

You are probily glad you are there. No more waiting like us. I envy you. We still have so much to do.

We also are sitting with the Question - do we take a container or do we sell everything..

Good luck with the house hunting.

ALIDA :jester:

Hi Alida,

It is always a big question, do I sell all, do I take it with. There has been a debate about it on the forum. I think at the end of the day you should find out what works for you. We have been married for 10 years and our things had to be replaced soon. We also wanted a fresh start for personal reasons so getting rid of the things was a step closer to healing for me.

I know other people wanted their things because that was the only thing that made them feel at home

Good luck with your process, before you know it, you will be here!

Cheers

T

26/05/2008 Apply for Unabridged birth and Marriage Certificates

02/06/2008 Book and pay for IELTS test

25/05/2008 Hubby starts working on his skills assessment

04/06/2008 House is in the market

07/06/2008 Husband sold his bussness

Hi Thanks for sharing.

Good to know you can start up home on a budget - Always a worry.

One always hears of how expensive things are. :blink:

Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck with the home and hope the boys get well soon.

Hi,

Thank you, things are expensive if you convert back but once you earn $ it is relative.

The only thing that is really expensive for me is chocolate, $2 per bar, ouch. On the other hand it is a good thing as I am a bit of an chocoholic and now I eat far less then I did in SA.

Take care and good luck to you too!

Rgds

T

Dankie jongie.

Dit is amazing om te weet, DAKIE, dit is nogal nerv wrecking vir my vrou alleen. Ek het met my ouesrs gereel om na my kiddies te kyk vir ses maande wanneer ek eendag oor gaan , sodat ek eers "gesettle" kan kom. Wil hul graag in n' stabiele omgewing laat inkom.DIt is n' eina en moeilike ding om te doen vir my , maar ek weet die tydlike opoffering sal in die langeduur uiters waardevol vir hulle en vir my wees.

Dit is so moeilik om in SA jou kinders as n' enkel mamma groot te maak , die geleendhede is far and inbetween. Ek hoop om in Oz dit te kan verbeter.

Ek is nog nie seker waar ek gaan opeindig nie, maar ek dink Adelaide toe op die oomblik. Tyd sal se.

Sterkte vir julle daaikant, dit is fantasties om te weet julle het n' sukses gemaak daarvan. Julle storie is n' insperasie vir ons almal aamn die kant

Altyd

J.

Hey All,

Oh, another thing. We sold all our stuff and did not bring a container. We basically have $7000 to buy everything. It was a very daunting thought as I went online in south africa and saw the price of the goods here. But once you are here you find the bargains. I managed to buy the following from a lady that is immigrating back to taiwan and the goods are all in a very good condition, she has bought it only 2 years ago.

Ikea tv stand $35

Futon $25

Sharp microwave $50

Chat soon

Thanks for your lovely informative post!!!!!

Dankie vir die laat weet- en sterkte vir julle!!

Thanx for the great post and so glad things are going well for your family.

Have been holding thumbs for the house, please let us know how you go.

Just love hearing SAffers are doing just fine down under. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great post. We will joining you in Melbourne in August.

Let us know how the house hunting goes.... still somethings we also need to go through.

Trudie

Hey All,

Ikea tv stand $35

Futon $25

Sharp microwave $50

Chat soon

Hi there, also hoping to land in Melbourne late this year. Congrats. What are the chances of getting a rental home before arrival? Or is it practically impossible.

Hi there, also hoping to land in Melbourne late this year. Congrats. What are the chances of getting a rental home before arrival? Or is it practically impossible.

Hi, Sorry no chance, you have to be at the inspection and they have a register of everyone that goes. Then you have to fill in the application and need one per adults. You then have to submit.

Then you have to go in to sign the papers in person.

I suggest you try temp accommodation first, it is also best to be here first and then scout around, I thought the same as you but now I am glad I did not do it.

try crystalbrook@bestonparks.com.au for temp accommodation, it is in Doncaster where alot of Saffers stay and about 20km from the CBD, on the eastern side of Melbourne

Hope it helps

Tanja

Just to let you guys know, I did not get the house that I was interested in, that one was privately available but.....

The first house we saw on inspection that we put an offer in was accepted :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit: . We are so greatful, God is good!

We went to another open house yesterday just to see what else is available that is similar to what we got and boy, was there a que. It is the first time that I have seen it, people have told me before but wow, probably 25 cars. I must say the house was prime position.

Our house that we got we were about 5 couples, what I did is I took the form completed in the car while hubbie was driving to the estate agent's office and then submitted it with all the attachments.

This is what I attached:

Copies of:

Passports

Driver's lisence

Approved Visa

Letter from previous employer

Letter from Commonwealth Bank stating we have an account and how much available

Statement of water and lights in south africa

The estate agent said you can add a payslip or a letter from the company but we forgot it at home and the application was approved without.

What really helped is that we put my husband's boss down as next of kin and as reference as he is our sponsor and then he told them he will sommer pay the rent. They will pay it and deduct it again from hubbies salary, this is called a tax sacrifice.

Hope it helps.

PS Thanks for everyones engouraging words!

Cheers

T

Hi Tanja

Welcome to the neighbourhood, we have been living in Doncaster East for about 4 years, PM me if you need any advice/assistance

God Bless

NAL

Hi, Sorry no chance, you have to be at the inspection and they have a register of everyone that goes. Then you have to fill in the application and need one per adults. You then have to submit.

I suggest you try temp accommodation first, it is also best to be here first and then scout around, I thought the same as you but now I am glad I did not do it.

try crystalbrook@bestonparks.com.au for temp accommodation, it is in Doncaster where alot of Saffers stay and about 20km from the CBD, on the eastern side of Melbourne

Hope it helps

Tanja

Thanks a million....I have been so stressed about getting accommodation, when, how etc..... still deciding whether to brave it like you and sell up everything, or take a container. We will probably have about the same amount ($7000) to replace furniture if we go that route, would like to take our stuff with for the kid's sake...for a bit of familiarity. All these things to think about has my head spinning at the moment AAAARGH!!!!

Hope it helps

Tanja

Thanks a million....I have been so stressed about getting accommodation, when, how etc..... still deciding whether to brave it like you and sell up everything, or take a container. We will probably have about the same amount ($7000) to replace furniture if we go that route, would like to take our stuff with for the kid's sake...for a bit of familiarity. All these things to think about has my head spinning at the moment AAAARGH!!!!

Hi Tanja

We are in Melbourne now 5 weeks, nearly 6. Our container arrived yesterday. Our situation is a little bit different in that we were lucky as we could take over the rent from an SA lady that was going back to SA. She had only the basic furniture, but it helped us good until our things arrived. We of course paid her for it, so our expenses were more than yours, but it worked out well for us.

We now have the daunting task to look for a house as the rent here expires in mid Aug and we have 2 dogs coming out of quarantine in early September (we have no garden, so can't have the dogs here).

We live in Templestowe, so it is not far from you.

We found Melbourne great too. The city is huge and coming from Bloemfontein we aren't used to so much traffic, but hubby worked quite a bit in Jhb too, so he is ok. That said the traffic isn't very stressfull, roads laid out nicely and you will be amazed at how easy you will learn to know the roads, etc.

I'm glad we are here and so far it is a great experience.