Virus warning

Duane W

Question

This forum keeps trying to install The Microsoft remote data access add on to my laptop. I take a dim view of Microsoft or anyone else attempting to access my data and online life.

Any of the moderators care to explain this?

• Answers 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Dax

• Riekie

• JanCPT

• Gizmo

Top Posters For This Question

I have the same problem when I use Microsoft Internet Explorer... then I tried FireFox and tada... no more problemo.

Hi guys

The virus/trojan has been sorted out. So you shouldn't be receiving any warnings anymore.

Cheers

Dedrei

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, it still seems to be there - I've just had 2 warnings, one trying to add an application from a bot and another asking me to run an extension...

Persistent little bugger...

:unsure:

I received the same messages and Troajn warnings. Earlier this afternoon it was quiet and just now when I logged on again. The moment I clicked on "view new posts" AVG warned me of a Trojan and asked me if I want to put it in the vault. And the main menu for new posts keep on trying to install a Microsoft update which AVG block.

So, it is definitely not fixed. I cannot ad dthis to Hendie's post about the Trojan 2008, because it tells me I have no permission to reply to that post.

Regards,

retha

Edited by Retha_hhr

Thanks for letting me know. I just also had en encounter again. Was fine this morning.

Will let Hendie know, please just be patient in the mean time. :unsure:

I noticed as well around 11:40am Adelaide time.

It's not an unknown bug, but what is concerning that it's being used to attack the saaustralia server in a quite sophisticated way.

Have you tried to trace its IP address?

We''ll be patient, don't worry Dedrei, for every trick there is a counter trick :whome:

Cheers,

Dax

Guest Chris Rimmer
I noticed as well around 11:40am Adelaide time.

It's not an unknown bug, but what is concerning that it's being used to attack the saaustralia server in a quite sophisticated way.

Have you tried to trace its IP address?

We''ll be patient, don't worry Dedrei, for every trick there is a counter trick :whome:

Cheers,

Dax

It's just tried to get into mine now - Melbourne 12.20pm

Hi

I seem to get a warning everytime I look at the new posts. It is something called Exploit. Anyone know about this one.

Steph

Guest mrs mupersan

I also keep getting hit - at office and at home. Using both IE and Firefox.

I'm going to stay away from the forum for a while until it's sorted out. I'll try logging on next week again.

In the meantime, I'm thinking up all sorts of conspiracy theories...... Homecoming Revolution.......... Bitter Saffers who can't leave.........

Hope you guys are able to sort it all out without too much damage.

Cheers,

Mandy

Still around

Cant understand why it can't be sorted out - if AVG picks it up, it should be able to be sorted by the web site host with a similar type of antivirus

Hi Jan

Soos ek gesê het die probleem was vanoggend reggestel deur Hendie. Paar uur later het dit net weer gebeur. Dit het te doen met die forum self se software. M.a.w dit is deels 'n probleem met Invision.

Ek vra weer, wees net seblief geduldig. Hendie is in 'n totale ander timezone as ons en sulke dinge kan partykeer net tyd vat net bloot die feit daaroor.

I'm using Opera (and win2k) and it hasnt registered on my PC. So either my avg aint doing its job, or it doesnt like my computer.

I aint had a virus of any sort since last year.

I'm all for a good conspiracy theory. Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

I think the Home coming revolution is doing this to make those who left feel welcome again. They can't send crime to OZ, but now they trying trojans.

And some us clearly need to hibernate

While others work on their attitude.....

Still around Cant understand why it can't be sorted out

Why not take a break until it's sorted out - no need to hang around and repeat yourself. Hendie is only one person - we do not have a help-desk staffed 24 hours by paid personnel. Hendie has a life, a job a family, and yes, he does need to eat and sleep - I'm really over your sarcasm & aggressive approach to everything. Why can't you be nice & appreciative about something for a change? You're no the only one who's being affected by this problem. :angry:

It really gets me when ppl can only see the little black dot, conveniently forgetting all about the huge benefits of this forum. Last time I checked, forum participation was a free choice. Everytime one little thing comes up someone does not agree with, they throw around the "many other forums" card. I'm so over that too. :)

PS: I also had the virus warning when I signed on this afternoon, so it's not a matter of ignorance - Hendie IS working on it and we ARE all aware of & concerned about the problem. Thank you to those who do have the patience to sit this one out.

I picked up visusses again 17 Apr at 10:00 RSA time. I have Windows XP and TrentOffice Scan.

Hope you can fix it soon, good luck

Hemel Riekie en dit??

As I logged in this evening I was also attacked twice, tried to post onto the one Hendie started but couldn't it's exclusive. So thought I would just put it on here.

Any how I'm outa here!!!

Hemel Riekie en dit??

??

tried to post onto the one Hendie started but couldn't it's exclusive.

Only hosts can post in "announcements" - that's where we post important announcements regarding administrative issues and it is not something members can respond to. (It's not a discussion - only an announcement).

I'm all for a good conspiracy theory. Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

I think the Home coming revolution is doing this to make those who left feel welcome again. They can't send crime to OZ, but now they trying trojans.

I wouldn't put it past some "patriots", a website (crimesa, I think) of a few years ago did cop it from pro government hackers.

Dax

Hi,

Am I the only person who's anti virus programme goes balistic when accessing this site?

If I were the paranoid type I would think someone is sabotaging the site...

Hi Pretorius,

Mine is doing the same. AVG is VERY unhappy!

zorba

:ilikeit:

Ooohh, mine toooo!!!

Luckily I am in a good mood!!! :ilikeit:

Just scared to do other work on pc... I am not very educated on these matters. But AVG is working thus far (hoping so anyway) :blush:

While others work on their attitude.....

I'll leave that to you .... you seem to do so well at it!!!!

I see a little education is needed ........ I don't believe that Hendie can do anything about it, cause he is the "Forum Host"

The web site is hosted by a server, together with hundreds of other web sites, & which is probably not accessible to him & which is managed by a "Web Site Host"

So work on the attitude!!!!

If I was one for conspiracy theories, I wouldn't look further than our own forum, to look & see who doesn't want who around

I'll stay, even if it is to spite, cause I will know that just seeing my name pop up, is going to irritate them .....

Back to the topic at hand .... as soon as I went into immigration/general, my computer got hit again

Edited by JanCpt

Hi Riekie

I am with you 100% - I just sat back and waited for it to get sorted out, no reason to get your knickers in a twist! I think we are pretty fortunate that this is the first time in the two and a bit years that our website had been hit with a virus!