Virus warning

Duane W

Question

This forum keeps trying to install The Microsoft remote data access add on to my laptop. I take a dim view of Microsoft or anyone else attempting to access my data and online life.

Any of the moderators care to explain this?

• Answers 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Dax

• Riekie

• JanCPT

• Gizmo

Top Posters For This Question

I am having the same thing happen....

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS NECESSARY??

I am very nervous of any remote access stuff!!

A

Hi,

I've just moved this topic to a more suitable sub-forum. I am sure that Hendie will be able to answer you.

Bye, Pippa! X

hi there, don't know if its the same as remote access but i get pop up scan alert messages

I've noticed too. I'm not entirely sure what it is, so don't want to start a panic/stampede by speculating...

Admin - if it helps - it's trying to install something from a site called - bot.gribokk.com

A google search on that site doesn't look great...

hI,

Keeps happening to me too, so annoying, says threat detected, etc, wants to instal etc.

Jill

I noticed this too. Shortly afterwards my antivirus (AVG from Grisoft : www.grisoft.com ) started complaining about a program trying to install that was recognised as a trojan horse. There were about 20 attempts to install an infected file (each time a different name).

My advice:

1. Always have a good antivirus program installed (AVG is free) as well as a firewall.

2. When in doubt, do not install anything.

3. For those of you that did accept and/or install it, run a comprehensive virus check on your PC ASAP, before the infection starts getting worse.

4. Site Admin should check this out and take some pro-active measures to make sure the forum isn't affected like this in the future.

Good luck !

Is it not possible that one of the posts/threads on here has been infected with some sort of embedded link/javascript/activex type exploit which is trying to do this? It's a standard way of infecting people, especially if there's a clickable link somewhere that some people might think will load an image or something.

Alternatively (and one hopes this isn't true), the forum site may have been compromised, so that every page you load will try and install this little gem.

I am sure Hendie will figure it out.

There's no excuse for not having antivirus software these days (I have ad-blocking software installed in firefox as well, which also does a pretty good job of blocking weirdies).

I also had a few warnings this morning on my laptop but it was blocked so no worries to my computer. Still wonder though.

I had the same thing this morning... AVG was also picking up Trojan horse, and another virus... i was getting quite worried, because the darn thing wouldn't go away! :ilikeit:

I did a scan of my laptop after I went offline - and it picked up some others... perhaps do a virus scan everyone...

Edited by Red

The virus that crept around the forum this morning is known as "Psyme"

Check it's details at this link

Virus Info

It seems to generate scripting from a remote server - could be that some hacker-lowlife tried his/her luck with some data theft around here.

I PM'd one of the hosts immediately, and the stituation seems in hand now.

However, if you suspect that your anti-virus software did not kill the @#&%## outright, check your computer for the following files and wipe them out manually;

C:\Windows\m.exe

C:\Windows\mp.exe

C:\Windows\dp.exe

C:\Winnt\m.exe

C:\Winnt\mp.exe

C:\Winnt\dp.exe

C:\Windows\uninstl.ex

especially this one:

C:\Windows\test.hta

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Thanks Dax!

...and if you are running Windows and do not have an antivirus installed (why not?!?), check out this link (www.antivirus.com). You'll need to be running Internet Explorer (I doubt it works in firefox).

Click on the "House Call" link on the right hand side and follow the instructions. It'll want to install an Activex library/program, but once it's done, you can get it to scan your hard drive. It'll take a while to get going (it downloads the antivirus check/lookup data first) but it is a workable solution.

Then go and get yourself an antivirus package like AVG or Panda or Eset/NOD32! :blink:

No worries wislon!

There are not many anti-virus freeware programmes thatI'm aware of, but anti spyware programmes are more available.

A totally free anti spyware programme that has a anti virus facility as well can be dowloaded here: www.spywareterminator.com

I cannot guarrabtee that it will be 100% effective, but it is better than nothing. You will have to download its data bases for spy- and virus threats as well. (The anti-virus database is quite hefty and a first downoad may take up to 20 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer.)

The anti-spyware database is not that big, though. If you install this software, I do reccommend that you set it for an automatic update once a week at least.

Those @!*## hackers turn out viruses/spyware faster than my teenage son can ask me for my car's keys on a Friday night!:blink:

I only use the anti-spyware part of this software, and disabled th eanti-virus part, and for anti-virus I use McAfee.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

My Trent OfficeScan also picked quite a few trojan virusses up this morning.

Thanks for the info Dax

HELP!!!

Everytime I use this site my laptop hangs. :( I keep getting Virus warnings (TROJAN) and then luckily AVG tells me to send the virus to the Vault.

I am seriously technologically challenged! Don't know what to do?!?

HELP!! I have a Horrible Internet Virus!! :ph34r: Help! Anyone?

zorba

:rolleyes:

hi

go to www.kaspersky.com and run their online virus scanner, it will let you know what viruses you have but if you do have, it won't remove them until you purchase the packadge. Preferably buy the package, should cost around R300 SA Rand, believe me after 18 years in the virus / IT industry there is nothing better. (and i don't work for Kaspersky)

Dave

Edited by DaveK

I am getting the same problems. I use a good virus scanner, but it is terribly annoying and quite unacceptable to pick up viruses and trojans off a forum every 10 minutes!!!

I chat on a few forums and this problem seems to only appear here. IMO, this problems should be sorted out by the site - you should NOT be getting any viruses or trojans off any reputable site. Not on! :(

Edited by Gizmo

I just got nailed by the same

Interesting that 15 hours later, nobody has sorted the problem out

I would have expected that this kind of thing would be addressed as a priority

just got nailed again

both times on the Immigration/general forum

Edit - nailed again (3 X, each multiple hits) - I'm outa here before I get hurt!!!!!

Edited by JanCpt

[i chat on a few forums and this problem seems to only appear here. IMO, this problems should be sorted out by the site - you should NOT be getting any viruses or trojans off any reputable site. Not on! :lol:

Guest CAPETOWNCA

Since today I am also getting continuous warnings from my anti-virus software

of Trojan Horses etc.

Is somebody looking into this and intend fixing it?

If you are using this site and you are not getting warnings you probably do

not have anti-virus software installed.

Waiting for feedback from hosts/owners of this site. :lol:

I'm logged-on now, but all seems fine at the moment.

Dax

Guest CAPETOWNCA
I'm logged-on now, but all seems fine at the moment.

Dax

I logged in tonight and still experienced the problem.

CTCA

Edited by CAPETOWNCA

I only had my antivirus alert me twice, since then nothing and believe me i don't have any viruses on my notebook,

detected: Trojan program Trojan-Downloader.HTML.Agent.ao

detected: Trojan program Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.aaw

I don't know were it came from but i was only using this forum at the time,

DONT accept the packet, Zuma soap won't help you if you do.

Dave

You're right CTCA, soon after i've posted at post #16 above, i encountered the @#*%##!! on another saaustralia sub-forum.

It seems to be endemic in certain areas of saaustralia website only, therefore it points to a rather sophisticated attack.

It's alow-level threat, however, more spyware than a virus, hopefully it will be sorted soon. Could be that the @&$%!! hacker discovered a "tunnel" in saaustralia's firewall settings, and it this is the case it should be adressed soon with some tweaking of the FW settings.

It's school holidays, so a lot of geeky, bored teenagers are plying their "trade" again... :lol::blink:

Dax

Edited by Dax