How much $$$ do you earn per annum?

Willie en Liezl

How much $$$ do you earn per annum?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How much AUS $ do you earn per annum (Cost to Company)?

• <40000
    • 40001 - 50000
    • 50001 - 60000
    • 60001 - 70000
    • 70001 - 80000
    • 80001 - 90000
    • 90001 - 100000
    • 100001 - 110000
    • 110001 - 120000
    • 120001 - 130000
    • 130001 - 140000
    • 140001 - 150000
    • >150000
  2. 2. How much SA Rand do you earn per annum (Cost to Company)?

• <100000
    • 100001-150000
    • 150001-200000
    • 200001-250000
    • 250001-300000
    • 300001 - 350000
    • 350001 - 400000
    • 400001 - 450000
    • 450001 - 500000
    • 500001 - 550000
    • 500001 - 600000
    • >600001
  3. 3. What expenses were paid for?

• None
    • Flights
    • Shipping

Could you please give an indication of what you income is at the moment?

Edited by Willie en Liezl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• no longer interested

• Dugong

• JanCPT

• Gizmo

hi W&L, I am not in AUS and doig PR so can't vote in this one. But just a quick suggestion,

(1) Over 100k is a broad number, why not add some sub categories in like 100-125 and 125-150 and over 150 because there is a big difference between som-one earning 101 and someone earning 151 - even if there are not many of them

(2) Does this include or exclude super - so is it base cost of salary or total cost to company?

(3) Would be good to put in a category for what you earned in RSA so 100-150, 150-200 etc so that we can compare % of what earned in RSA and what earned in AUS

(4) And lastly perhaps a column that says were your expenses paid for - no, only flights, flights and shipping, etc

Edited by Lion King

Hi Lion King

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Willie

You should perhaps change the Rand poll to "What DID you earn in SA" not "What DO you earn"

Willie

Sorry I havn't voted as I dont see what the point is. Please can you explain why such a poll?

Thanks

Is this per family or per person? Main income earner, or person who possts on the forum?

What about those of us who left SA 10 years ago, so the salary would be ridiculously out of date (in fact, there is no category for my salary :thumbdown: )

• 4 weeks later...
Willie

Sorry I havn't voted as I dont see what the point is. Please can you explain why such a poll?

Thanks

I agree, actually it is something that people in Aus dont discuss as it is considered to be extremely rude and offensive to ask ANYONE what they earn.. even if you are trying to place yourself in the market and want an idea of what your earning potential may be, you just dont do it.. :blink::unsure:

I on the other hand, I find the info very usefull, especially for those that are not yet in Aus.

Actually I find all polls great, maybe its because I like stats and stuff....... These are all completely anonomous and therefore no one can get embarassed, and it helps to get a feel for things and to undersand the demographics of the forum users.

I agree that it would be considered rude to ask a particular person what they earn, but this would be the case anywhere in the world, and included in the list is weight, age, gender, sexual orientation, race, salary, etc etc anything that is personal - a poll however, doen't put anyone in that position. so I don't consider it rude at all!!

See there is actually a poll on age, so went to look and no one has posted that this info is rude and a waste of time... interesting isn't it....

So what do the stats tell us - well things like 42% of people on this site earn in between $70k and $110k, but in RSA the same % earn between R250k and R450k - so it would seem that the average person on this site (or 42% of them) seem to be getting comparable salaries - that takes into account the 2 to 2.5 x additional earning requirement - I THINK THATS EXCELLENT NEWS FOR THOSE WONDERING IF THEY WILL MAKE IT OR NOT!!!

Lots earn more and less than this - that is just one observation.

Edited by Lion King

I on the other hand, I find the info very usefull, especially for those that are not yet in Aus.

Actually I find all polls great, maybe its because I like stats and stuff....... These are all completely anonomous and therefore no one can get embarassed, and it helps to get a feel for things and to undersand the demographics of the forum users.

I agree that it would be considered rude to ask a particular person what they earn, but this would be the case anywhere in the world, and included in the list is weight, age, gender, sexual orientation, race, salary, etc etc anything that is personal - a poll however, doen't put anyone in that position. so I don't consider it rude at all!!

See there is actually a poll on age, so went to look and no one has posted that this info is rude and a waste of time... interesting isn't it....

So what do the stats tell us - well things like 42% of people on this site earn in between $70k and $110k, but in RSA the same % earn between R250k and R450k - so it would seem that the average person on this site (or 42% of them) seem to be getting comparable salaries - that takes into account the 2 to 2.5 x additional earning requirement - I THINK THATS EXCELLENT NEWS FOR THOSE WONDERING IF THEY WILL MAKE IT OR NOT!!!

Lots earn more and less than this - that is just one observation.

Yes .. however its NO ONES BUSINESS WHAT YOU EARN.. on a informative note you can go to the career sites and there are pointers as to what your salary should be.. whatever you will see when your in Aussie is that quicksmart you dont go and ask a local at a management level what they earn they will tell you straight to get lost. point is you want to know what your market worth is .. go to the career finder sites and the like you just have to google them

Yes .. however its NO ONES BUSINESS WHAT YOU EARN.. on a informative note you can go to the career sites and there are pointers as to what your salary should be.. whatever you will see when your in Aussie is that quicksmart you dont go and ask a local at a management level what they earn they will tell you straight to get lost. point is you want to know what your market worth is .. go to the career finder sites and the like you just have to google them

I agree, it is RUDE. There have been enough posts done regarding costs of living etc etc, that you can gauge from these posts if the salary you are "going" to earn will be sufficient to make a decent living in Australia. Is the size your salary package the ultimate deciding factor on weather to migrate or not ? Or is it the fact that you seek a better and safer life for your family? Or are you just trying to keep up with the "Jones" , just in case you are being "ripped" off? B)

Guest natalie3

I dont think its rude to do an anonymous poll..i think some of you folks are being a bit sensitive here,,and i really dont think willie and liezl meant any offense or want to rub anything in anyone's face..maby they just want to know if they will survive in oz and what the average saffer is earning there now compared to what they earned in SA..

,,no harm done i think.

Edited by natalie3

Great poll!

We're also wondering how we will fare in Aus... we know we're taking a big financial knock leaving SA, but we would feel a lot better if we knew we would be fine financially speaking.

Would we go without any money if we have to? By all means we would! But in our case we would've been able to pay for a deposit on an average house a few months ago, but now because of the Rand that weakened... we'll have to save our butts off over there!

Great poll, nice to see what the average Saffer earns!

Edited by Anzel

Hmm.... guess the other thing the stats tell us is that 2 people out of 69 (67+2 that didnt vote) think its rude to have this poll, that would be 0.02%.... see, you can get all kinds of stats out of a poll like this... :blink:

Guest CAPETOWNCA

I think it is very simple, if you don't like it don't vote.

People that vote, vote because they want something out of the stats.

CTCA

I honestly don't see why this type of poll should be a problem. Nobody asked you to sign you name to your vote.

If you are offended, then just don't vote... simple.

(By the way - for those who are offended, how on earth do you manage to cope with filling out a National Census without having major kittens??? :blink: )

Edited by Gizmo

Have to agree - this is an anonymous poll - no personal information been requested.

If you find it rude - just dont complete the poll after all no one is forcing you. Personally I find the statistics interesting.

Rgds

Matman

I dont think its rude to do an anonymous poll..i think some of you folks are being a bit sensitive here,,and i really dont think willie and liezl meant any offense or want to rub anything in anyone's face..maby they just want to know if they will survive in oz and what the average saffer is earning there now compared to what they earned in SA..

,,no harm done i think.

No Natalie I am not sensitive I am just not a typical Saffer anymore in otherwords I dont ask what others earn as a status quo issue.. I will say it agai there are other places that are the right place to find out that type of info.. but hey I guess you will see that what you ask in Sa is just not appriopriate in Aus and really this isnt about whether harm was done or not it is just inappriopriate again will STRESS this type of info is available on the appriopriate sites.

Hmm.... guess the other thing the stats tell us is that 2 people out of 69 (67+2 that didnt vote) think its rude to have this poll, that would be 0.02%.... see, you can get all kinds of stats out of a poll like this... :)

No lK you cant take Enrica's or my comment as a poll , where do you think the polls says " do you think it is rude to ask what a person earns" dont skew this. Again I will say what I have said to you and also now to natalie there are other places other than this site to get the info .

Have to agree - this is an anonymous poll - no personal information been requested.

If you find it rude - just dont complete the poll after all no one is forcing you. Personally I find the statistics interesting.

Rgds

Matman

I guess manners dont count? So I if I dont agree and raise another side of the coin it would be better for me to just stay quiet an not air my opinion .. hmm dont think so :blink::)

MOST topics are 'Googleable' and yeah you will probably find generalised answers on some other sites, but the one thing that keeps me hooked on this site is the fact that its REAL people with REAL experiences and most are originally from ZA as well, which makes most things so much more applicable.

Great poll Wille & Liezl :)

I dont think its rude to do an anonymous poll..i think some of you folks are being a bit sensitive here,,

First let me say that I have not voted as I personally did not see the point, BUT it is anonymous which means no one knows who voted or what they voted. I am quite sure most of the people who voted would never just walk up to someone and ask them what they earn.

If there are people who don't like the poll, I am sure no one minds if they state their opinion, BUT then lets move on :rolleyes::whome:

Hope everyone has a good day!!

I guess manners dont count? So I if I dont agree and raise another side of the coin it would be better for me to just stay quiet an not air my opinion .. hmm dont think so :angry::rolleyes:

Hold on one second! Fine, you are completely entitled to your own opinion, but to imply that everybody else who doesn't have a problem with this has no manners, well, that is rude and a tad self-righteous! As was stressed numerous times, if you feel offended, then don't vote! :rolleyes:

Look just4thidAussie you have some serious problems with identifying with current Saffers. Much the sam as a non-smoker who once smoked!

Like with so many of these polls if you dont like it don't vote. If you dont like Saffers think then don't read it?? We are still here...remember that part.

I am pleased that you have changed your ugly Saffer ways..

A

Look just4thidAussie you have some serious problems with identifying with current Saffers. Much the sam as a non-smoker who once smoked!

Like with so many of these polls if you dont like it don't vote. If you dont like Saffers think then don't read it?? We are still here...remember that part.

I am pleased that you have changed your ugly Saffer ways..

A

Andre I dont think you know me do you.. you arent in Aussie dont know or understand the culture because you havent had a chance yet ? as for you being inS A yes I KNOW YOU ARE THERE!!! however you seem to think I have ugly "saffer" ways my G`D you are really being personal arent you!! I am GLAD TO SAY .. I dont hold a SA passport .. and ps I dont have problems identifying with SAFFERS I just have problem with not being given freedom of speech.. this has nothing to do with the poll.it has to do with salary in SA it maybe ok to ask what another person earns to benmark yourself but not so in Aus especially not in management.executive level jobs. but back to you Andre it would appear that basically if I dont agree with what your saying that I am Not Entitled to say what I think.. what utter bull :censored:!!

Edited by just4thisAussie

This has nothing to do with being offended i AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION GIZMO AS ARE YOU!!!. and no you dont know me .. I am not being self righteous.. and I where did I imply that anybody who has a pproblem with this has no manners. I suggest that you stop with your personal attack on me . if you have issues take it to the moderators or better still get hold of me via the pm