My house

Karen

Dear SAussies,

Karen here from SA Canada.

I started a post on the above site about posting pictures of our homes across Canada, and it has really taken off. Not only is it interesting for all of us already living in Canada to see homes in other provinces and to compare housing styles etc, but it is proving invaluable for those still in SA and planning their immigrations. It has given them all an idea of the housing here, the prices etc.

So, I thought that perhaps you guys would like to do the same here. Post pictures of your current homes in Australia and tell everyone about the neighbourhood, the average house prices etc - in fact, anything you consider to be of interest to those visiting the site.

We have already had over 2,000 hits on our thread on SACanada, so feel free to pop in there and see how we live and to get an idea of what to post here. I am sure such a thread here will be just as successful as ours, and I will pop in from time to time to see how it is going.

Have fun posting house pics and telling everyone about your castles, no matter how grand or humble, Remember, that home is where your bed is! ( as my wise late Gran always said!).

Best wishes to you all,

Karen the Sanuck.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riekie

• chester

• Annette

• Brenda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Jules

Hi Karen :ilikeit:

What a great idea!! :) I love your thread on the SACanada site, beautiful houses and it's so GREEN there! I'm sure this thread will take off here too. We're just about finished building a house here and when all the builders rubble is cleared away I'll post a picture of mine.

Julie :ilikeit:

Ok laat ek maar eerste gaan

IMGP2491.jpg

agterregsvanagterskuifdeur.jpg

Hierso is ons ou huisie in Bentley Park in Cairns. Dis so 25 minute uit die CBD uit en heerlik rustig. Die berg reg agter ons (skuus vir die bad photoshop attempt)

Guest Noeks

I loved the thread too that Karen frm SACanada provided and laughed that I couldn't read properly at "Harry's" story of the mirror on the back of his house!! :wub: What an absolute madcap and excellent storyteller! :thumbdown: I can just imagine the poor guy's face when he was asked if he's "a" sensitive... :ilikeit: What a lovely way to start the day - nothing better than a good laugh! Good on you, Karen, for suggesting this, I think its a great idea - I shall try and get a pic of my pozzie up, will obviously take a while (some of us are a bit slow), negotiating the size of the kb's (I think) and pixels en wat ook al.... :ilikeit:

Hier is die uitsig as mens in ons straat afry:

th_BH8.jpg

Ons huis in Adelaide:

th_Housefront.jpg

th_Backgarden-towardshouse.jpg

th_Viewtospahouseoverpool.jpg

th_Bar.jpg

th_Kitchen.jpg

th_Viewfromlounge.jpg

th_Lounge1.jpg

Kliek op die fototjies om hulle groter te maak...

Hier is 'n kopie van my "write-up" op die Adelaidebrits forum:

We live in Bellevue Heights, which is the first suburb you get to on your right as you drive up the Shepherds' Hill road into the Blackwood area, along with Eden Hills, which is on the left of the road. The suburb has sweepig views over the gulf and has a pleasant, quiet ambience. There are some lovely old, giant trees around and the Sturt Gorge reserve runs along the one edge of the suburb. The houses seem to date mostly from around the 70's and 80's. Prices vary hugely, from very affordable to very expensive. House prices have risen 22% in the last year, but there is still something for everyone - from about $188 000 for a duplex apartment to $300 000 for a 3 bedroom house (needing some upgrading) to $1.4 mil for an architect designed mansion.

Bellevue Heights borders the Flinders University and the Flinders Medical centre , which has an A&E department. The Flinders Private Hospital is also situated on the same site. We are about 10 minutes' drive from Brighton or Marino beaches and about a 20 minute drive into the Adelaide CBD.

The schools that serve the suburb are:

Blackwood High School

Bellevue Heights Primary school

St John's Grammar School

St Peter's Lutheran school

Bellevue heights is home to the Manson Oval and there is a lovely Tennis Club situated in the suburb as well.

The Blackwood district is serviced by three large supermarkets (Coles, Woolworths and Foodland) and two seven day convenience stores as well as speciality shops. There are several take aways and a fair few restaurants. Westfield Marion shopping centre is 10 minutes drive away and there is a 30 screen cinema complex. There is a library nearby in Blackwood.

Here is the suburb profile:

Bellevue Heights community profile

I feel right at home here. We have lovely neighbours and have been made to feel very welcome.

:ilikeit:

Ons bly in 'n huurhuis - die lelikste een in die straat!! Sal maar liewer nie 'n foto daarvan plaas nie - wil nie die kinders bang maak nie! :ilikeit:

Ons bly in 'n huurhuis - die lelikste een in die straat!! Sal maar liewer nie 'n foto daarvan plaas nie - wil nie die kinders bang maak nie! :lol:

May be the case, BUT you have a fantastic view, not true? :ilikeit:

Hier is ons plekkie in Tannum Sands, Qld.

Die voordeur:

Die kuier hoekie:

D <_<

Dis ons pozzie(lief die woord) in Sanctuary Cove Queensland.

post-10-1152759177.jpg

May be the case, BUT you have a fantastic view, not true? :ilikeit:

I suppose I can't have it ALL...... :lol:

Nou ja, hier's onse nessie. Is nou amper 4 weke hier. Het soveer goed aangepas en sommer gou vriende gemaak. Buurvrou het sommer die eerste dag al blomme aangedra en ons welkom geheet in die "neighbourhood" en ons het sommer al die eerste Saterdag al afgeskop met 'n lekker Barbie. Die uitsig van die dek is lieflik en die heuwels is darem nou bietjie groener na die laaste week se reen.

Hier kloek ons vrouens op die dek saam vir 'n lekker gesels in ons lekker kuierhuisie...

Sover is ons nog nie spyt ons het Sydney vir Canberra verruil nie. Die aanpassing is veel makliker en ek geniet my werk nou eers.

Groete hier uit Theodore

Madelein

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Not fair! All of you have brick houses!

We live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in Canada and there's not one house build with bricks over here. Each and everyone is 'n "plankhuis." Granted, some of them are real mansions, but it feels weird living in a place that's literaly stapled together. Most of the walls are made with chipboard which are covered with everything from cedar shingles to vinyl siding. You'll find a few brick tiles here and there, but that's about it.

Have a look at the similar site on Sacanada and you'll see what I mean.

Cathy K.

Hallo

Ek was nou al op baie sites van huise in die mark, wat my opval is dat baie van die huise daai hout heinings het, nie soos hier by ons fibactete nie. Ek het al gewonder of die hout heinings iets is wat die munisipaliteite vereis of is dit maar die manier wat die heinings gedoen word? Kan iemand my dalk antwoord, want dit is nogal snaaks om te sien. Sien glad nie so iets hier in SA nie, en vereis dit nie baie onderhouds kostes nie?

Dit het my ook vreeslik afgesit aan die begin (lyk half "common" - veral as mens na die huise kyk : pragtige, moderne huis en dan so 'n plankies muurtjie wat uitmekaar val plek-plek!!) Jy kan enige heining om jou huis sit - die meeste Aussies gebruik die hout, "colorbond" of selfs gras heinings (het jy DIT al gesien?!) omdat dit goedkoop en effektief is. Hier is hulle oor die algemeen nie "big" op mooi tuinmure, en selfs tuinmaak nie. Ek is seker al die mooi tuine is waar Suid-Afrikaners bly! :unsure: Jy kan jou plekkie mooimaak soos jy wil -of dit nou met plankies of bakstene is..... Baie van ons bly nog in huurhuise en dan is jy basies uitgelewer aan die eienaar se keuses.... Hoop dit help.

Dankie, dit help nogal baie. Om met jou eerlik te wees hou ek glad nie van die hout nie, maar soos jy se as jy eers n huis het dan kan jy dit verander. Ek het nog nie die gras heinings gesien nie :unsure: , sal seker vir my snaaks wees. Miskien lyk die hout heinings nie so bad as n mens dit in lewende lywe sien.

Charmaine

Hi Almal,

Sjoe, ek hou nou nogal van hierdie topic. Riekie, ek is baie nuuskierig om te sien hoe die grasheinings lyk. Wil jy nie vir ons 'n foto daarvan pos nie?

Ek het ook al 'n paar sites besoek en ek kry 'n idee dat die Aussies nie regtig fokus om huise te bou wat Noord front nie. Is ek reg? Dit is nogal vreemd, want mens wil mos soveel son en lig in jou huis he en die ongeskrewe reel is mos dat huise in die suidelike halfrond meestal noord front, terwyl huise in die noordelike halfrond gewoonlik suid front.

Snaaksgenoeg is dit vir my baie belangrik dat my huis noord front, want ek is mal oor son en dit laat 'n huis sommer vriendelik voel!!!

Dalk het een van julle 'n logiese antwoord daarvoor!

Groete,

Pippa

:unsure:

Ek sal bietjie vir julle 'n foto van die gras heinings neem - ek wou myself omtrent oopruk toe ek dit die eerste keer sien! :unsure::ph34r: Die Aussies dink natuurlik nie dit is so snaaks of uniek nie - wys jou net hoe kulture en tradisies maar oral verskil.....

Ons huis kyk gelukkig Noord, maar jong, veral Sydney is bekend vir hulle krulletjie en draaitjie strate en as jou voorkant van jou erf nou Wes wys, dan wys jou huis ook maar Wes. Ek weet nie of hulle eers regtig aan Noord DINK wanneer hulle hulle huise bou nie! Gelukkig kyk ons huis darem Noord - ek is ook baie lief vir lig in my huis, en vir 'n lekker sonnetjie in die winter!

Pippa, jy is heeltemal reg. Die huise word gebou sonder veel gedagte aan orientasie of enigiets anders. My man is 'n argitek en hy (en ek) is geskok oor hoe swak die huise baiekeer beplan is. Daar is myns insiens twee hoof redes hiervoor:

1. Oor die algemeen is mense meer welaf en hoef nie noodgedwonge aandag te gee aan passiewe verhitting of sons beskutting of ander klimaatvriendelike opsies nie - plak maar net nog 'n aircon of twee aan. Mense bou soos hulle lus voel en verkoel of verhit maar net as dit nie goed uitwerk nie...

2. Baie (indien nie die meerderheid) van die nuwe behuising word ontwerp, bemark en verkoop deur groot ontwikkelaars. Mense gaan in die kantoortjie in, kies hulle ideale huis uit 'n katalogus (verkoopsman aan die druk vir die mees voordelige (vir hom) pakket ...), en dit word dan neergeplak hoe ookal dit op die (dikwels piepklein) erfie oppas....

Ons huis is byvoorbeeld een van 3 identiese huise in ons buurt. Nie een van hulle is naastenby reg georienteer nie... :ph34r: Ons groot vensters front almal Suid en ons vries omtrent op die oomblik .... :D Die laundry en studeerkamer is egter heerlik warm, want dit is die enigste plekke wat Noord front. Dis verstommend...

Ek sal nie eers ingaan op die swak kwaliteit van die bouwerk en die skokkende lae standaard van die afwerkings nie ... :ilikeit: Ons huis het bv. geen waterproofing of insulasie in die dak nie - heeeeeeeerlik muf en nat as dit reen :unsure: en dis heeltemal wettig ....

Everyone has such lovely homes!!! :hug: I showed DH the homes from the Aus. & Ca. site and the green eyed monster made an appearance :hug:

Here in Minnesota the houses are so close to each other & you don't get much for $300 000 or less in a good neighborhood/suburbs. And a brick house.... hul is skaarser as hoender tande hier.

Guest Karla

Hi there

I think it is definitely a case of "smaak verskil" because I like SS house very much and think it is very interesting. I spent several hours on the net looking at houses in Aus and this one is definitely one of the best looking ones out there.

Agreed that the Ozzies like small houses and stands - couldn't find a house in our price range ~ A$350k to A$400k with a stand > 1000 m^2 and a houses > 300 m^2. We have two toddlers aged 3 and 1 and want space inside and outside. But then again, we realised that we won't be getting what we have now over there.

Best regards

K.

To clarify my take on the matter of houses in Aus, I found the homes in Aus to be very DIFFERENT from the ones in South Africa - not WORSE. Their planning, layout, design etc.are obviously based on another set of priorities and lifestyle. Having a picturesque garden for instance, would involve spending every weekend behind a lawnmover, whereas the Aussies would rather spend their time at the beach! (I can get used to that!! :hug: ) Therefor, their gardens are generally low maintenance and drought resistant (in keeping with the water restrictions). Remember, no R50-a-day labour in Aus..... If you want the nice garden, you have to maintain it yourself.....

I LOVE the huge windows and lack of front fences, and are not the least bit concerned about my privacy or safety! (He who wants to look, must look.... Don't guarantee that it might not scare them enough never ever to peep through a window again!! :) )

Even though it might be a mission to find a house similiar to what we had in South Africa, I much rather prefer the open view of the lovely scenery through huge windows over the small-squares view of my 6feet fence! And I'd much rather spend my days exploring my new country and laze at the beach than to slave away maintaining a house for the benefit of what other people might think of it. As I've said, my house is indeed ugly - but I don't care! See you at the beach!! :hug:

PS: SS, I LOVE your house! :hug: