IELTS Test

The test is a walk in the park really. The only efforts is that it takes a long time to complete and you have to give up a Saturday morning for it. Getting 6's on the all the bands is not that hard.

I would suggest you take the general test. Do not waste any money on the books etc. If you are from the "plaas" and have spoken only afrikaans and fannagalo you may have a problem. I am not aware that it is required for the skills assessment it is however required for the visa application and getting above 6's will get you the 20 points wheter you need them or not. ACS did my skills assessment without proof of english.

I included my test result with my application, my case officer however requested that the consulate send it.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryn

• Dreams

• MarcK

• Jordy

Top Posters In This Topic

Read: http://www.ielts.org/_lib/pdf/1649_IELTShbk_2005.pdf

Jaco, I've got some good news for you! :whome: We fell into the same pitfall of misanderstanding Booklet 6 page 26 and I blame the people who wrote that horrible :ilikeit: piece of paper in such a complicated way... allowing opportunity for misinterpretation... :) For a long time we thought we were 5 points short for skilled independent and the frustration was excruciating.

Let me explain:

There are two tests you can write with IELTS: General Training and Academic see IELTS page 2

Now if you look at Booklet 6 page 26, there are two categories of band scores that people can fall into and according to that, claim points: Competent English and Vocational English.

Now are you starting to see where the confusion comes in?

In the skilled category, you can either

* claim 20 points if your band score is at least 6 on each of the four categories (speaking, reading, writing and listening) - this is called Competent English or

* claim 15 points if your band score is at least 5 on each of the four categories - this is called Vocational English

Now usually people are required to do the General Training IELTS test but there is an exception with certain occupations (like doctors etc) where they need to test you in a medium of English at an undergratuate or postgraduate level and this test is called Academic IELTS.

What South Africans still living in South Africa don't understand (and I was one of them) is that there are many countries in the world where people don't speak english at all and when these people want to emigrate they have to be tested otherwise they won't be able to function here. When you come to Australia and you see the attrocious english that some of the Asian people speak, then think of my words. Because of this, South Africans can't understand why they are required to sit an english test when they've been english, fully bilingual or whatever since birth.

Now, myself being Afrikaans most my life, english second language at school and exposed to english on tv, scored around 7 on the General Training IETLS test. My husband, been in english schools with english friends, scored around 8 on the General Training IELTS test. And we got our 20 points for competent english. (Maybe one of the moderators can start a poll on the IELTS results of different people.)

In conclusion Jaco, it is not difficult for the average well educated to claim the 20 points for the category Competent English. :whome::whome:

It makes me wonder. How many South Africans have calculated their points, came 5 points short due to this and gave up. It is really sad. I also think that the sheer volume of complicated information listed in Booklet 6 have put many people off emigration as well. Maybe they hope that only the serious and dedicated will persist. Good on them. B)

Edited by Sam

My question: For those of us who speak, read and write fluent English in any event, is such course material really necessary?

Otherwise said: Can I easily pass the IELTS by just "rocking up" at the exam room and commencing the test?

Hi Willem

In my opinion there is a benefit to be derived from working through some specimen material beforehand. You become familiar with the way in which the test is conducted and it would put your mind at ease. Some people become very apprehensive about the whole thing and then miss some important instructions on the day of sitting the test.

My question: For those of us who speak, read and write fluent English in any event, is such course material really necessary?

Otherwise said: Can I easily pass the IELTS by just "rocking up" at the exam room and commencing the test?

Hi Willem

You can definitely just rock up without looking at any materials. That's what I did for the general test. Although I am bilingual, my home language is Afrikaans and I scored 9, 9, 9 and 8.5 out of 10 for each of the 4 sections.

So for a Durbanite like yourself, the IELTS will be :unsure:B):blush:

Cheers

Charl

I am not aware that it is required for the skills assessment it is however required for the visa application

I made a mistake in my posting re the skill assesment. I have only looked at what ACS requires and their skills assessment does not require English.

I meant to refer to the South Australia Imimgration Department's Regional Sponsoship requirements. (see page 3 of their SIR document).

I first thought this requirement was unneccesary for SIR as the independant visa requirements are more stringent. Then I saw that some of the business visa requirements where in some cases English is not that big a deal (strange!).

Does everybody applying for a TR/PR visa have to do the IELTS?

Neither hubby nor I did it for our 457 or for our PR application.

Lindy-Lee

:)

• 3 months later...

Hi daar al julle wonderlike mense

Wanneer word die engelse toetse geskryf en is dit net op sekere visa's wat die engelse toetse geskryf word en is dit baie moeilik.

Groete Gert & Frieda

Hi Gert en Frieda - search IELTS op die search funksie en sommer 'n klomp goed behoort op te kom. Kyk ook 'English Language requirement' op http://www.immi.gov.au/

:)

Hi Gert en Frieda

die engelse toets is net vir die permanente visa nie vir die werkvisas nie

groete,christelle

Hi Gert & Frieda

Jammer dat ek Engels skryf, maar my Afrikaans is belaglik!

Please read through the Immi website and also have a look at this thread. Feel free to post any additional questions you might have.

Cheers

Cindylou

Hi,

Ek het nounet my IELTS uitslae ontvang.

Die Bristish Council het saam met die uitslae 'n inligtingsblad saamgestuur met 'n klompie Web skakels op wat dalk van hulp mag wees.

IELTS test info, books, forums and downloads: www.aippg.com/ielts/index.html

IELTS Help, on-line prep courses, free material: www.ieltshelpnow.com/index.html

IELTS Tips: www.ielts-test.com

Offshore English: www.offshore-english.co.nz/ielts.asp (skakel werk nie maar dalk is dit tydelik so ek los dit hier)

Advice and Practice: www.kingstonacademy.com/ielts/ (was nie aanlyn toe ek die skakels getoets het nie)

Practice questions and general info: international.holmesglen.vic.edu.au/IELTS01.htm

Prep Hints: www.askynz.com/ielts/preparation.htm

Ek het deur die inligting gegaan nie, so gebruik dit op eie risiko.

Jaco

Edited by JacoE

Hi Jaco.

Hoe was die toetse vir jou ? Ek wil ook graag weet hoe lank het jy gewag vir jou uitslae.

Groete

Sheila2oz

Hi Jaco.

Hoe was die toetse vir jou ? Ek wil ook graag weet hoe lank het jy gewag vir jou uitslae.

Groete

Sheila2oz

Hi,

Ek het nie voor die tyd enige voorbereiding gedoen nie maar het dit redelik maklik gevind. Maar ek wil byvoeg ek het as kind en ook later redelik baie engelse boeke gelees, ek was omtrent 10 jaar lank in 'n engelse kerk, ek werk in IT so al die handboeke en inligtingsbronne in die wereld is omtrent in engels, ek my hele lewe nog het ek altyd in plekke gewerk waar ten minste die helfte van my kollegas Engels was, ek het sokker gespeel saam met 'n klomp rooinekke so ek is al amper 'n 'Honorary Englishman'.

Voordat ek by die toets self kom wil ek net noem die papiere wat hulle jou stuur se jy moet 'pen, pencil, eraser and a copy of your ID' saamneem. Met 'copy of ID' bedoel hulle eintlik 'ID', nie 'n afskrif nie. Hulle het niemand van ons se afsrifte ingeneem nie en as my bestuurderslisiensie nie in my motor was nie, sou ek seker nie toets geskryf het nie.

Die toets self het 4 afdelings:

1: 'n 'listening' toets wat my (en dalk baie ander mense) onkant gevang het, ek dink bloot omdat dit so 'n unieke tipe toets is, mens is heel onvoorberei daarop. Hulle speel 'n CD en jy moet vrae beantwoord (skriftelik). Jy lees eers die vrae en dan moet jy luister en terwyl die CD aanhou speel moet jy antwoorde neerskryf. hier is die geheim dink ek om onmiddelike as jy die antwoord hoor dit VINNIG neer te pen EN NIE WEER DAAROOR TE DINK nie, anders verloor jy konsentrasie en vergeet om te luister, en dan mis jy die volgende antwoord - en dan is dit 'tickets' met daardie antwoord. Die moeilikste deel hier is nie die Engels nie maar om gefokus te bly om te luister. Dit is meer 'n luister toets as 'n Engelse toets.

2: 'Reading' toets wat ek dink redelik maklik was. Dit is bloot 'n 'comprehension' toets soos die wat ons heeldag op skool gedoen het, m.a.w. lees 'n stuk en antwoord vrae.

3: 'Writing' toets. Hier word jy 'n onderwerp gegee en moet iets daaroor skryf bv hulle sal 'n stelling maak soos 'Many people consider Hollywoord to be a bad influence on morals but other say it has educational value as well. Discuss both points of view and give your own viewpoint. Use not less than 250 words.' My toets het 2 dele gehad, die een 150 woorde en die ander 250 woorde. Hier het ek net-net klaar gekry en ek dink dit is omdat ek te lank notas gemaak het om struktuur aan my 'writings' te gee. (Minder John-Boy asb). Skryf maar net, sit net jou intro, overview en conclusion vinnig neer sodat jy wil weet wat jy wil skryf.

4: Die speaking toets. Hier gaan jy vir 'n onderhoud (nie noodwendig direk na die skriftelike toetse nie) en antwoord 'n paar vrae en bespreek in jou eie woorde 'n sekere onderwerp. My bespreking moes tussen 1 en2 minute gewees het en ek het 1 minuut gekry nadat ek 'n onderwerp gegee is om vinnig my gedagtes bymekaar te kry. Die voordeel hier is dat jy nie in die 2 minute 'n gestruktureerde praatjie hoef te gee soos op skool waar jy van begin tot einde moet praat en seker maak dat jy in into, overview, detail en conclusion gee nie. 'Waffle' maar aan tot hulle jou stop (of miskien is dit waarom ek hier minder punte gekry het).

Ek het vir my vrou gese op pad na die toets toe dat dit bloot 'n toets is. As jy 'n vrou is en dokter toe moet gaan sadat hulle kan toets of jy 'n vrou is, sal jy nie eers 'n bietjie 'panic' nie. Dit wat jy is sal wel sigbaar wees. Dit is vir my dieselfde met die toets. As jy Engels kan praat sal die toets dit mos weerspieel.

Ek het 13 Januarie geskryf en dit was nie gister in die pos nie, maar wel vandag, m.a.w. 3 weke. My vrou het saam met my geskryf en haar uitslae was nie vandag in die pos nie.

Op 'n ligter noot het ek nou ontdek ek kom van Spanje af. Op die IELTS uitslag staan onder 'Country of Origin: - Spain'. Hoop maar DIMA ignoreer dit.

Ek dink regtig nie IELTS is iets om bekommerd te wees nie - behalwe as jy op 'n Afrikaanse plaas sonder 'n TV en radio grootgeword het en eers aan die begin van hierdie jaar van Engels gehoor het. Onthou die slaagsyfer vir die toetse is nie 100% nie, so al het jy 'n derde van alles verkeerd is dit nie so erg nie.

Sterkte,

Jaco

Edited by JacoE

Hi Jaco

Dankie vir jou antwoord. Ek hoor dit is nie te moeilik nie, so kom ons hou duim vas.

Ons skryf die 24 ste Februarie ons toets.

Groete

Sheila2oz

• 2 months later...

Hi daar

Julle wat nog die IELTS moet skryf kan ook op

[ http://www.aapress.com.au/ielts/english/dload.html ] gaan kyk en daar 'n voorbeeld verniet download...dit het my darem so 'n bietjie gehelp met die voorbereiding, veral op die manier hoe hulle jou dalk kan vasvra....

Cheers

Johan

• 1 month later...

Ag ek wou dit ook vra!!!

kan iemand help??? PLEASE!

Ek moet 7.5 score om in aanmerking te kom vir registrasie in Aus in my beroep, dit klink nogal hoog. Wat score normale Afrikaanssprekende Suid Afrikaners gewoonlik?

Ek dink ek sal dalk die boeke moet nadertrek voor ek gaan skryf??

Edited by karenswanepoel

Ag ek wou dit ook vra!!!

kan iemand help??? PLEASE!

Ek moet 7.5 score om in aanmerking te kom vir registrasie in Aus in my beroep, dit klink nogal hoog. Wat score normale Afrikaanssprekende Suid Afrikaners gewoonlik?

Ek dink ek sal dalk die boeke moet nadertrek voor ek gaan skryf??

Hi Karen

But don't you speak the tale very deliciously???

Langes het goed gescore.Kry by hom tips!! :whome:

Jacques

• 2 weeks later...

10 jaar in die Free State is genoeg om enige engels uit jou sisteem te kry!!!

Ek sal bietjie by langes hoor...lyk my hy het verborge talente!

Karen

Hi can anyone assist,

I was born in UK and have a British passport, I have lived in SA for 35 years, I have applied for the 136 visa. I am applying on points for myself only. My wife is South African and has SA passport. Our son of 18 years old has British passport. My trade assessment has been done and my application has been lodged. My account has been debited for the application fee and I am waiting for a response from them on outstanding requirements.

My question is, will my wife have to undertake IELTS test ?

Edited by Graham W

Hi can anyone assist,

I was born in UK and have a British passport, I have lived in SA for 35 years, I have applied for the 136 visa. I am applying on points for myself only. My wife is South African and has SA passport. Our son of 18 years old has British passport. My trade assessment has been done and my application has been lodged. My account has been debited for the application fee and I am waiting for a response from them on outstanding requirements.

My question is, will my wife have to undertake IELTS test ?

Hi Graham!

Your wife has to prove her english ability. This can be done by one of the following:

1) IELTS test

2) Proof of working in "English speaking country" - not South Africa

3) Proof of studying a diploma or higher where the language of instruction was English.

I hope this helps!

W

• 3 weeks later...

did anybody struggle to get through to British Council. i have been trying for HOURS and then I get put through to the "OPERATOR" and then it's SORRY THERE IS NO ONE TO TAKE YOUR CALL...

ANY suggestions or help will be appreciated!

Karen