NEW THREAD - 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa - Tips and Other information

Orphan

FOR THOSE IN THE WAITING ROOM, SOMETHING TO KEEP YOU SMILING.....

post-20722-0-46272100-1412694551_thumb.j

• Like 4

My lodgement date is April 12 and my reaction when i read in your thread that april applications are being processed now :-post-20890-0-01479600-1412769588_thumb.j

Edited by Niamatbir

Hi Niamatbir.

Welcome to the Forum, and to our special 143 thread!

As Belinda has posted above, the official processing date is March 2013. Where the confusion may have come in is through Belinda's agent who has given her the impression that they may already be processing April 2013 applications.

However, the month appearing on the latest Parent Centre communique which I received on 6th October, is that they are processing March 2013 visa applications. And although it doesn't mention the exact day in March, I think we should take this as being the correct timing.

Cheers mate and yes, she got me excited for a few moments lol :P

Its been 18 months now and still haven't got any good news. I hope i get my CO allotted at this month's end.

p.s- been following your posts from the beginning and you have given pretty good advices for new applicants.I hope to see more from you !

RichardCoull (Niamatbir)

Hey Richard!

Good to finally meet up with you. I have seen some of your posts (including my cut-n-pastes!) on the PomsinOz website.

What's the deal with "Niamatbir" and your location in India???? That really threw me :lol:

• Like 1

Sorry mate about the cut and pastes haha. I'm a very lazy person! But i always used to mentioned your name in the posts.

Niamatbir is my Indian name, hardly anyone can speak it here in UK, so i changed it ..uh its a long story , will tell you some other time..

I'm currently residing in UK right now so i changed the location but im originally from India. :king:

Rich

Indian resident => UK resident => Australian resident ??? Sounds like you are seeing the world the slow way, Rich!

Anyway, good to hear from you. If your visa lodgement date is 12 April, you are probably only 4 weeks away from lift-off. So keep us all posted once your CO is appointed, and what happens after that, will you? There is a long queue of impatient applicants right behind you, and we are all starved of real information with which to plot our timelines

Sure thing mate, im always ready to help! I can understand the frustration of playing the waiting game. ha

Im gonna update you as soon as i get my CO and will keep giving information of what happens further.

- Orphan i wanted to ask you something..

Do you know anything about over 18 dependency ? What evidence they require to prove dependency of 18+ and how serious does DIAC takes it ?

Edited by Niamatbir

Hi Rich,

To answer your last question first, I think the DIAC are taking +18yr Dependency applications extremely seriously, for two reasons:

1. The Australians are very sensitive to all forms of "Dependency", whether this is for an aged person on pension and medicare, or a young disabled adult dependent on state support. Australia has an aging population, and there are concerns whether the country has the means to support them properly. For this reason the retirement age is being gradually raised to 70 for men and 65 for women (I stand to be corrected on this)

2. The other reason is that "dependency" is a fairly nebulous concept. What one person may consider a being a reasonable motivation and measure of dependency, another may not. And because of this, there is a risk of this being exploited by people desperate to get themselves and their entire families into Australia.

For these reasons I believe that the authorities will carefully scrutinise those applications which seek to bring in a family member on the basis of "dependency". But then, what do I know? I can only speculate.

So back to the question. The requirements for proving dependency are pretty clear and straightforward, and seem to be the same for every type of visa.

First you must prove relationship. A dependent relative must be your brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or step equivalent. No-one else will qualify.

Next, you must be able to show that ALL of the following factors exist:

1. The relative is "wholly or substantially reliant" on your financial support for their basic living needs (food, shelter and clothing); and

2. The relative is "more reliant" on you for support than on any other person or source; and

3. The relative must have relied on you for that support for a "substantial period" (usually a minimum of 12 months before lodging your application)

However, if the dependent relative is disabled, you must be able to show that he or she is wholly or substantially reliant on you because they cannot work due to the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions.

Finally, note that if the dependent relative is currently married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship, he or she is automatically disqualified.

• Like 2

Orphan my son was 17 years old when we applied for cpv 143 and he will 19 yrs old this november. I was just wondering whether it will make any effect on the application. I heard CO ask for a 47A form and evidence to prove the dependency.

Evidence I Got:-

1.bank draft to university (this shows financial dependency)

2.University enrolment letter ( This shows he's studying)

3.statutory Declaration ( Nothing above the law)

4.Few reciepts of shopping for my son

5.Address Proof ( His car license) -Which shows he lives with me.

I just hope he doesnt ask for more because these are the only evidences i can think of, to show the dependency of my son on me.

Edited by Niamatbir

Rich,

I cannot see why it would make any difference to your application now that he is 19 years old.

The circumstances haven't changed - he is still a student, previously at school, and now at Uni. As he lives with you at home, then he would still be considered "wholly and substantially" dependent on you.

The only question might be whether he is studying part-time, or via distance learning, and is holding down a paid job while doing so. As this doesn't appear to be the case, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Note that the completion of a 47a form is an automatic requirement and routine request the day someone turns 18years old

yeah he's still a student but hes doing a part time course. He's not doing any job and im funding him for all his needs.

I hope it doest effect our application but in the end, it all depends on the CO .

thank you for advice orphan and ill update you as soon as i get my CO.

Regards,

Rich

...And now for breaking news from DIAC. The Australian Senate has reversed the Migrant Amendment (Repeal of Certain Visa Classes) Regulation 2014, and aged parent visa applications are being accepted once again..."

post-20722-0-76118300-1413105870_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi Orphan,

Thank you for all the information above, really appreciate it.

I'm looking to get my in-laws to Oz and have a few questions.

I think the cost of the whole 143 visa is +-$90000. Is any of that refunded to you? I know once the Visa is granted, one would be able to live, work etc in Oz and have access to Medicare. I've also read somewhere that my inlaws would have to live in Oz for a period of 10 years before receiving any sort of pension payments through Centrelink. Am I correct ?

How much pension does get paid if this is the case?

Apologies if I'm a little vague.

Hi Ives.

A big welcome to this thread!

in answer to your questions:

1. The total combined cost of visas for both in-laws is currently $91,905, comprising 1st VAC of $4,705, and 2nd VAC of $87,200. Neither of these charges are refundable. However, these prices do rise annually, according to a unique formula which is based on level of demand and has historically worked out at about 5% per annum. These increases used to happen on 01 July each year, but recently there have been ad hoc increases at different times of the year, so one can no longer bank on this.

2. In addition to this, you as their sponsor will be required to sign an Assurance of Support declaration, as well as deposit a financial bond (ÄOS Bond") with the Commonwealth Bank. The AOS bond is refunded with interest after your in-laws have been resident in Australia for 10 years. However, whatever welfare payments they receive during this period will be deducted from this bonded amount. Further, as Jordy has posted earlier in this thread, you, as sponsor, will be responsible for declaring and paying tax on the interest you receive from this bond.

3. With the Contributory Parent visa, your in-laws will qualify for Medicare the day they set foot on Australia, and are able to work there.

4. I don't know too much about pensions, except to say that your in-laws could qualify for an age pension after 10 years. I would however imagine that they would first need to become citizens. Also that the pension will be the standard amount paid out, which I believe currently stands at a basic of $2,342.00 per couple/per month, plus an additional $234.00 per couple/per month in the form of supplements (energy and pension).

Perhaps other readers may be able to provide us more information on the ins and outs of Australian pensions?

• Like 1

Apologies Ives, I left out the cost of the AOS Bond, which currently stands at $14,000

• Like 1

PROCESSING UPDATE as at 15 October 2014

Some REALLY good news for everyone in the Waiting Room.

Based on the latest information appearing in the progress tracker on the UK website www.gainway.co.uk/cpv/ it seems as if the visa processing delay is reducing....and significantly!

An applicant "paddyman1" has posted the following timeline:

Application lodged: 14 April 2013

Case Office appointed: 03 October 2014

VAC Request date: 03 October 2014

Days to CO: 537

This means that despite the official announcements being published by the Parent Visa (which still say March 2013 processing) some of the visa teams are already half way through April 2013!

What is also interesting here is that it has taken this fellow only 17 months & 3 weeks from visa lodgement to Case Officer, following which his second VAC payment was requested on the same day! It appears that he had all his paperwork done and ready by the time his CO was appointed, including the AOS side of things (which he completed on 01 September 2014), which is why his application was approved immediately.

And this is not an isolated case. Another timeline posted by "Day325" reflects the following

Application Lodged: 25 March 2013

Case Officer appointed: 09 October 2014

VAC Request Date: 09 October 2014

VAC Payment date: 13 October 2014

Days to CO: 563

And yet another - "Jitty" posted

Application Lodged: 26 March 2013

Case Officer appointed: 14 October 2014

Days to CO: 567

It may be that UK visa applications are dealt with faster than those from South Africa....but I don't believe so. What I think happens is that visa applications are allocated in batches to the various Case Officers and Teams, and the speed at which they process each batch of visas depends entirely on how complete their applications are. If there are documents missing, or they have to wait for PCCs or Medicals, then everything is delayed.

Another thing is that all three of these applicants mentioned above have gone through agents. That is not to say that Agents get preferential treatment, but rather that agents will ensure that all the documentation is completed correctly and submitted timeously. This supports my "be prepared" theory

If I am correct, it also means that the Parent Visa Centre reports the visa processing date according to the last application still outstanding, and not against those which have already been completed. This is to prevent a flood of enquiries from applicants who feel that their application has been overlooked.

There are lessons for all of us this. Firstly, don't wait for your CO to ask for medicals, PCC and AOS approval; have this done and all your documents in place before your review date. Secondly, don't read too much into the "official date" reported by the Parent Visa Centre, as this represents the worst case scenario. And thirdly, pray that the applicants in front of you have all their ducks in a row, so that you are not delayed unnecessarily!

Hey Orphan

U just gave me a heart attack but thank god, im still alive!

My lodgement date is April 12,2013 and i haven't got any mail yet!

Ill call my agent tomorrow and ask whats happening!

Rich :(

Rich.

Please don't panic!

It doesn't mean that your application has been overlooked or lost just because this one person has already got his.

It is more likely that yours is sitting in batch of applications which has been delayed for one reason or another, or that your CO and his team are lagging behind. Just be aware that your CO should be appointed soon.

(But it wont do any harm to put pressure on your Agent to make contact with the Visa Centre!)

• Like 1

A msg from paddyman1's son in law-

Just to clarify what was put on earlier. My father-in-law is paddyman1 and he application date was 4/2/13 and acknowledgement date was 14/4/13. Acknowledgement date is not the lodgement date, it is the date of the letter that is sent from immigration acknowledging your application has been received. On the acknowledgement letter is also states the lodgement date.

At the beginning of August we received a letter requesting for the AOS, medical and police check. The police check had already been done. The medical was completed on 18/8/14 and as we had one AOS rejected as my husband could not be the AOS for his dad, as he is already the AOS for his mum and step father we had to do all the paperwork again. This finally went through on 02/09/14. So apart from the police check nothing else was done before it was requested by immigration. This did slow the process down. We were not given the acknowledgment letter from our first immigration agent and if we had been those things would have been done earlier.

The second VAC was requested 03/10/14 and was paid by my FIL to our immigration agents 'go Matilda' and it was paid by them on 13/10/14. My father-in-law had his visa granted yesterday 17/10/14

so from start to finish it has taken 20.5 months. Hopefully it does get quicker for those waiting.

My FIL has booked his flight today and we will have him here end of November.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for getting this information for us, even though it has been rather a disappointment!

For the life of me I do not understand why www.gainwave.co.za would use the Visa Acknowledgement Date as its starting reference point in the CPV Tracker, rather than the Visa Lodgement Date. The acknowledgement date is completely irrelevant to the process!

Regrettably it looks like we are back to a 20 month delay!

Hi Orphan

If I read it correctly, a CO was appointed in August and the reason why the visa was only granted in October was due to the AOS rejection. If everything was done, it is a waiting of 18 months. So do not be despondent, you nearly there.

Hi Ronel.

Its now hard to verify the tracking dates of the three applicants I posted about above, because all their CO appointment dates have recently been removed from the Gainwave CPV Tracker website!

But, going on the information I uploaded from that website on the 15th, his CO was appointed on 03 October, and not August. I suspect that the request received in August was probably from their Visa Agent .

However, what I am quickly learning from all of this is that it is dangerous (and upsetting) to speculate! I suppose that is due to the boredom of sitting in the Waiting Room!

• Mara pinned this topic