Missy: new arrivals

Missy

Hi Missy

Good to meat you.

Sorry but I just had to get my 1 cent in here to, at first I thought that you know what it is just not worth it but here we go. You talk about the game farm in South Africa and buying it cash, well you know been there done that got the T shirt, 4x4 I drive one in Oz at present but have never even thought of mentioning it on this form, because it does not matter to the people that partake in this form.

So just maybe it is the way you present yourself that just plain irritates people in here but don’t worry mate I also come from and know the medical industry in South Africa and there is a lot of this type of attitude going around in SA, one must always remember that your title is Dr. not God. :blink:

Good on you mate! :blink:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Missy

• Riekie

• chatterbug

• DesertDaisy

Thanks for all the platitudes by I fear you have already shown your true colour. I can perfectly well sift through the dross for any worthwhile posts, thank-you. I hardly see the fact that I mentioned that "cars are so cheap that I drive a Porsche" can be considered "bull in a china shop approach" would you care to be a little more lucid on this point? Feel free to use quotes from my postings, won't you?

I get a real feeling that some of you fear strangers? Well I must inform you if you haven't already worked it out for yourself, that most of the new posters are going to be just that. Shiver in your boots! Is that not the aim of this site.

While I know nothing of the history behind this site, it is clear to me that some of the posters are bearing uneeded baggage, please don't unload it on me, find yourself another hobby.

No Chatterbug you are not on ignore. But I confess to not having read all your posts. However from the last, I can quite honestly fail to see how given your adopted egalitarian social mores, you can possibly be "disappointed" by the quality of my postings, solely based on my profession. Which you are also of course not completely knowledgeable about. But speaking of social mores why is it the assumption that there is only one and that is Australian?

Another point that you possibly have not worked out for yourself is that the world is made up of many many different communities. Even our old beloved South Africa. Seems your egalitarian ambitions are limited to a few single digit number of posters.

Further more due to ethical reasons I was loath to offer any information as to my profession, however due to one rather insistent "hostess" I decided against my better judgement to offer this information. I see it is already cause for concern.

JohanK, buying a game farm "cash" is merely a reflection on the exchange rate between USA dollars in which we are paid and the Rond, this and the still relatively cheap price of land in South Africa, seen from a global point of view. My point which you are wilfully misinterpreting is that even with hard earned and saved hard currency to invest in that land, the crime there makes this a non starter? Yes inadvertently this is an oblique reflection on our savings, no there is no shame in having worked hard and saved hard. Not even in Australia.

After this relaxing weeks holiday I am sure I will be hearing far less of what you are all up to, but one little bit of advice, tread lightly with new posters they might run away!!!!! :blink::blink::blink::lol::lol: I guess this is the opening that the more dogged of you have been waiting for,ag shame, and I mean that in nice caring sort of way :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Missy

Missy, I think you've made your point (and so has everyone else).

Let's move on guys..... please..... :blink:

Hi Missy

I hardly see the fact that I mentioned that "cars are so cheap that I drive a Porsche" can be considered "bull in a china shop approach" would you care to be a little more lucid on this point? Feel free to use quotes from my postings, won't you?

Nope I'm not going to waste more time than is needed on something that is so plain and obvious for anyone to see. You can look for yourself by just comparing the content and the quantity of reactions to your "introduction" with that of the other "newbies" on this forum. I don't see too many of them ranting on about their "hostile reception", nor do I see to many of them trying to cosy up the the hosts for "protection" against this gastly and unfair bunch of forumites - schoolyard stuff I'd say!. If this is the communication style you want to employ I guess you should be big enough to roll with the punches and deal with what comes your way.

I hardly see the fact that ....

I think we can all benefit from inceasing our own levels of emotional self awareness, although I suspect you have a tad further to go than most.

No Chatterbug you are not on ignore. But I confess to not having read all your posts. However from the last, I can quite honestly fail to see how given your adopted egalitarian social mores, you can possibly be "disappointed" by the quality of my postings, solely based on my profession. Which you are also of course not completely knowledgeable about. But speaking of social mores why is it the assumption that there is only one and that is Australian?

Missy I don't really care if I am on your "ignore" quite frankly and I also don't want to know about your profession more than what you are willing to share on this open forum. After trying my best to not know what you do (since I think this is hardly relevant), one would have to be a bit of a plank not to get the general gist of what it is that you do, all courtesy of your own posts on this public forum. And no I (please?) don't want to be completely knowledgeable about your profession... but I get the feeling I'll have that force fed to me over the next couple of your posts.

About the egalitarian social mores: I am a South African and I guess because of this I know something about a classist society. My comment about Australia being a quite an egalitarian society is based on my observations, mainly in comparison with South Africa, and certainly not based on a wholehearted adoption of this for myself. In reality in some instances I quite enjoy it but in many other ways it also frustrates the living hell out of me. Hence based on what info you shared with us, I had a hunch (and I still do) that it might take you some time to adjust to!

I however don't assume that there is only one way of being, in fact I quite enjoy having differing opinions and discussing these on forums like these. I don't mind a debate and I must say I find these quite stimulating. My "disappointment" stems mainly from the perceived incongruence between the mental picture I have of you based on what you have been posting (career woman, professional person, blah blah blah) and the paucity of questions with substance coming from you. I mean here you are telling us about your "worldliness", the good working relationship you have with Australians (all with sports cars!) etc. etc. and then you drop a couple of stinkers like "is there any industry in Australia?", asking/making ill informed questions/statements about the relationship between cheap foreign labour and the Australian economy and a general preoccupation about the availability of domestic help, whilst a bit of research on the internet, as one example (which you could farm out to a helper/servant I suppose) or simply asking those Australian friends would have settled it quite early on in the piece. Things just didn't add up for me there for a moment, but hey I'm willing to concede that I was wrong. I should not have rushed to those assuptions about you, my mistake.

I hope you still pop in from time to time to enlighten us and regale us with your tales of wonder!

Dogged BUG :angry:

PS: Dear Riekie and Dedrei - whilst I understand your desire to calm things down, I prefer to discuss and answer Missy in relation to some of the questions she has brought up. To me there is nothing wrong with a chat, a debate, some repartee and a passionate argument on this forum. I certainly have no desire to make anybody feel unwelcome or to harm anyone - but I believe in not skirting issues - passive agressiveness is not my style!

Guest Noeks

Well! Well! I am stunned. Shocked. Entertained. I truly live a secluded lifestyle, didn't know people like Missy existed in real life - yeah, in the movies - but there you have it! I reckon she's having us all on. I'v only just come across these postings this morning - and "Who needs soapies, doll?" Just l-o-v-e-d Chatterbug's "one would have to be a bit of a plank not to get the genl gist"... You guys are a scream.

Oh, and by the way, I have only ever received a warm, welcoming response from everyone on this forum.

Ta ta skattebolle, keep the posts rolling... you know, the warm and welcoming ones.... :whome:

Chatterthingy, I consider this forum a bit of light research? Don't you? How can you insult this forum and in the same breath tell me because of my profession I should know all there is to know about Australia? What on earth are you trying to imply. That this forum should be beneath me because of what I do for a living??? Both rich and poor in this world still need to start somewhere on the road to enlightenment, may I suggest you do the same, no matter what your income.

You have to realise that the world is a big place. And all it hears about Australia is the odd news item about Timor. Australia has not got the profile of many other western nations, simply due to it's location, but also because it is not a republic, it falls under the common-wealth countries, so probably I would know a lot more about it out of hand, if I was living in London. We are only planning our move if you read my post properly, in a few years time. So information gathering starts now. And I am afraid that is the last I am prepared to say on this subject. I hope that meets with your very demanding approval. :whome::

Glad you are entertained Noeks. No, being an ex-pat in Dubai is not quite the same as a television soap-opera. Ask Desertdaisy, it is not all parties in the desert with Sheikh princes and sailing on expensive yachts in the Arabian gulf. It is hard work.

A lot of what you may take for granted in your life, all be it not a silver Porsche 9111 Turbo, we don't have here, especially for a woman. Next time you stroll around some evening market place, in your skimpy Australian skins, think about us doing the same, dressed to the hilt and sweating our arse of because we can't show any skin, never mind letting our hair down.

Of course we deserve the luxuries we have, it is classified as a hardship destination you know, amongst relocation experts and employment companies alike. Try sending your darling little kiddies off to boarding school thousands of miles away, hmm, hmm? Still amused?

Missy

Edited by Missy

Guest Noeks

I quote "...dressed to the hilt and sweating our arse off" - Thats why I'm here in Aus - in my gorgeous skin and all - and not in Dubai, sweet thing. And yes, much to your disdain, I remain "amused" to say the least.... Stay well, and as happy as you sound, Missy.

Dearest Missy

How can you insult this forum and in the same breath tell me because of my profession I should know all there is to know about Australia? What on earth are you trying to imply. That this forum should be beneath me because of what I do for a living??? Both rich and poor in this world still need to start somewhere on the road to enlightenment, may I suggest you do the same, no matter what your income.

What the? :whome:

It seems like my suspicions about being force fed on this topic proved accurate....so let me try one final time, watch my lips.............I - AM - NOT - TELLING - YOU - ANYTHING - BECAUSE - OF - YOUR - PROFESSION - I - AM - NOT - REFERING - TO - YOUR - PROFESSION - I - DO - NOT - WANT - TO - KNOW - ABOUT - IT - I - THINK - WHAT - YOU - DO - FOR - A - LIVING - IS - HIGHLY - IRRELEVANT!

I already said that I seemed to have been wrong about my perceptions of you (based on the content of your postings) - maybe, just maybe, behind all the "delusions of grandeur" there is just a normal and vulnerable person. That is the one I (and I suspect most others) wouldn't mind meeting!

What say you? :)

Chatterthingie!

Chattathingy if it is not my silver Porsche 9111-Turbo and it's not my profession, helping children lead a normal life and it's not my income or my savings or place of residence, and it's not my very pertinent professional need for domestic help, then, if it is non of the above, that seems to drive you stir crazy? Then, how do you do sir/madam? Welcome to our egalitarian society.

I for one have no personal problem with how anyone on this forum lives nor any bias concerning their social status or incom, only concern for their possible needs. But then that would be part of my professional training.

I have to meet kids with no more than just a few goats and a handful of dates to their name, and others with a fortune that could rival the gross domestic product of not only Australia or New Zealand but possibly the united kingdom combined.

I suggest in your case, that we reach a modus vivendi and both get on with our respective and very different lives.

Dear Prissy (Since I have allowed you some creative latitude with my pseudonym)

I take that as a "no" to my last question!

Chattathingy if it is not my silver Porsche 9111-Turbo and it's not my profession, helping children lead a normal life and it's not my income or my savings or place of residence, and it's not my very pertinent professional need for domestic help, then, if it is non of the above, that seems to drive you stir crazy? Then, how do you do sir/madam? Welcome to our egalitarian society.

Apologies Missy - I'm struggling to stay with you :whome: (You must have been in contact with the mothership again) :) I don't really get the above response but anyway please don't take the trouble to explain, I have finally run out of puff!

I suggest in your case, that we reach a modus vivendi and both get on with our respective and very different lives.

That's the best thing I've heard from you for some time!

Now, since I will probably not be chatting to you anymore in future, I hope you have a safe return to the mothership and more luck in any of the subsequent universes that you might stumble across - godspeed!

Ghostbuster BUG

Edited by chatterbug

OK, That is quite enough "welcome" for one member. Let's get back to business folks! :)

:whome: Hendie