• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maryInOz

• Polyanna

• Brissy Bessies

• The Movers

Oh thanks ! This is a great peice of info!

Thanks again Polyanna.

Nats

Polyanna, this was an excellent bit of info so I have pinned your topic!

• 1 month later...

While researching something on the DIAC website, I found the following document which addresses FAQ's for 457 visa holders.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-wor...isa_holders.pdf

Hope it can help someone...

Kim

:hug:

[/quot

Thanks for the link - really useful.

Do you know or does anyone else know if you can be sponsored in any field by any company or does your skills set have to be on the skills shortage list?Do you have to have qualifications or can you be sponsored based on experience?

Sorry really new at this.

Regards

Narms

Narms, the 457 is based on what the sponsoring company is looking for. If you get the job with the sponsor and their nomination is accepted to sponsor you then you're fine.

• 2 weeks later...
While researching something on the DIAC website, I found the following document which addresses FAQ's for 457 visa holders.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-wor...isa_holders.pdf

Hope it can help someone...

Kim

;)

Thanks Kim ... GREAT info.

Not sure about my dependents though ! see quote below. Can my sponsor also sponsor my wife even if sh has no docs/certificates showing her competence/experience ... etc ? Or is it more of everyone is sponsored via my skills ? What is the minimum age to start working as my son like's to earn his own money (Then I cant tell him to save :) )

Can I bring my family defendants to Australia with me? Are they allowed to work?

You are able to bring members of your immediate family to Australia with you providing they satisfy the requirements for the visa and your sponsor agrees to sponsor them. Your dependants are eligible to both work and study (as an international student) in Australia without restrictions. For further information, phone DIAC on 131 881.

Can anyone help with what docs I need to complete when I do get a 457 Visa /sponsorship.

I know I have to get unabridged birth certificates for my kids and have applied for those.

My oldest son is 14 and from a previous marriage do I need to get permission from his mother to take him out of SA even if i have full custody ?

I have lots of question but will stop for now :ilikeit:

Sorry for thread Jacking :P

And Just want to say HI to Mara. We (my wife and I) had the pleasure of meeting Mara and her husband when we were there in 2006 April.

Narms, the 457 is based on what the sponsoring company is looking for. If you get the job with the sponsor and their nomination is accepted to sponsor you then you're fine.

Geld die visa ook vir persone wat ouer as 45 jaar is? Kan enige iemand my inligting gee watter visa dit moontlik maak vir iemand wat nou 45 jaar is?

Hi Kim :rolleyes:

This is very helpfull, seeing I am on my way from Richards Bay to OZ....and I CANT WAIT..!!! :D

Regards

Benita

Hi All

I'm currently working international in the middle east.

Yes, I can get a job in Australia but for far less money than I'm earning now.

Will this stand in my way if I do not work in Aus. to relocate?

Our Ozz skilled visa expires in 2010 (we would have had it for 5 years then) Is there any way we can extend it for a little longer as we are still in 2 minds if we should go or not as my husband's business is starting to do well....

VeeMiles,

I am 47, my wife 49. I was sponsored by an IT company - they did the visa app and it took 3 weeks. I had to give them copies of my degrees and transcripts of my qualifications, also marriage cert. We also had to get chest X-rays.

And that was it! No birth certificates required.

The employer had to ask for the age waiver (over 45). When you're over 50 your skills also have to be on the short skills list, and recognised by the local authority in your field.

At 45 you'll have no problem. The first step is to get a job.

On my application cover letters I said that I'm coming to Aus in 3 weeks, that helped getting interviews (I would not employ someone without meeting the person firrst, would you?). I got the first job offer 1 hour after the interview....!

My 457 visa condition is that I work for the sponsoring employer for 4 years, then return to SA. If I change employers I have 28 days to get sponsorhip approved by DIAC.

My wife has no conditions on her visa - she can work wherever she likes. It took about three weeks after she started seeing recruiting agencies here in Perth before she got the first interviews. And then things happen quickly - they make their mind up fast! She's starting at one of the Big 5 accounting firms one week after meeting the partners - they sent her the offer on the same day as her interview.

Good luck!

B

Edited by BriteBlue

Ek wil graag weet hoe kry mens 'n 'sponsor'? Moet mens die firma's self konak en vra? Gebruik mens werkverskaffersburo's? Kan mens al die dokumente self behartig of moet mens 'n agent gebruik? Help asb enige iemand!!! :censored:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Kim ... GREAT info.

Not sure about my dependents though ! see quote below. Can my sponsor also sponsor my wife even if sh has no docs/certificates showing her competence/experience ... etc ? Or is it more of everyone is sponsored via my skills ? What is the minimum age to start working as my son like's to earn his own money (Then I cant tell him to save :ilikeit: )

Hi every one

Can any body help me. I am about to relocate from pretoria to cairns and am looking for some one to talk to that has moved to cairns as well from s.a.

my mail adress is bezuidenhouthannes@gmail.com

thax

Hannes

Can anyone help with what docs I need to complete when I do get a 457 Visa /sponsorship.

I know I have to get unabridged birth certificates for my kids and have applied for those.

My oldest son is 14 and from a previous marriage do I need to get permission from his mother to take him out of SA even if i have full custody ?

I have lots of question but will stop for now :ilikeit:

Sorry for thread Jacking :)

And Just want to say HI to Mara. We (my wife and I) had the pleasure of meeting Mara and her husband when we were there in 2006 April.

Can somebody tell me what is the score neede on the IELTS teste when you apply for the 457 visa. I just got the results and would like to know if I shoul cry or not!!

A quote from our CO:

'Evidence of proficiency in English with an IELTS overall score of 4.5 or higher, unless:-..."

Hi all,

been reading up a storm on visas etc, and the more i learn the more I realise I need to know - so just as I think I understand it all, it all seems to change when I find a new glitch in my system of knowledge. Hm, so.

We are going to go the 457 route, I know hubby needs to have a skills assessment done by Vetassess - and so far I cant tell if he needs to do IELTS??? All 3 of his degrees were done at English universities in SA so I would guess that that should be fine (hey, we're from Durban and can barely speak Afrikaans!). Plus my husband needs to have professional body membership to practice his work, which he does, and this body is based in the UK. Plus we lived adn worked in the UK for 4 years, do you think they will accept this as proof of a competant level of English?? (is a bit silly really, but want to follow the RULES!)

The reason I am worrying is that the next available IELTS test is late August, so if they should request the results we'd be waiting a lot longer - dont know how an employer would feel about that. Dont want to just do test anyway as it would delay visa request till august at least plus its very pricey and we need to save every penny.

Anybody know how I can find out for sure if he needs to do IELTS, then at least I could book it??? anybody know what would happen if we took a chance and did teh application without IELTS, and then were told we needed it. IELTS is so booked up it would take a few months to get them the results, so would we be at the back of the queue? or would our application be rejected?

Its all a bit confusing and I am worrying way in advance, of course, as we still have to find him a job and sponsor first!

Thanks for any help availabe though.

GSI

VeeMiles,

I am 47, my wife 49. I was sponsored by an IT company - they did the visa app and it took 3 weeks. I had to give them copies of my degrees and transcripts of my qualifications, also marriage cert. We also had to get chest X-rays.

The employer had to ask for the age waiver (over 45). When you're over 50 your skills also have to be on the short skills list, and recognised by the local authority in your field.

On my application cover letters I said that I'm coming to Aus in 3 weeks, that helped getting interviews (I would not employ someone without meeting the person firrst, would you?). I got the first job offer 1 hour after the interview....!

My 457 visa condition is that I work for the sponsoring employer for 4 years, then return to SA. If I change employers I have 28 days to get sponsorhip approved by DIAC.

My wife has no conditions on her visa - she can work wherever she likes. It took about three weeks after she started seeing recruiting agencies here in Perth before she got the first interviews. And then things happen quickly - they make their mind up fast! She's starting at one of the Big 5 accounting firms one week after meeting the partners - they sent her the offer on the same day as her interview.

Good luck!

B

Very interesting. Are the conditions/restriction the same for all 457 visa holders ? and must you return to your home country when it expires ater 4 years? Are you not able to apply for PR now? Anxious to know as we not sure whether to go the 457 or 175 (independent) route as my husband's skill is in demand. Are there more pro's to a 457 ?

Very interesting. Are the conditions/restriction the same for all 457 visa holders ? and must you return to your home country when it expires ater 4 years? Are you not able to apply for PR now? Anxious to know as we not sure whether to go the 457 or 175 (independent) route as my husband's skill is in demand. Are there more pro's to a 457 ?

Hi,

My husband and I am currently in Oz on a 457 visa. You don't have to return to SA after 4 years, except I guess if you don't apply for your permanent residency. We are busy with our applications for permanent residency, just waiting for police clearance reports from SA... I don't know much about other type of visas, but we have not had any problems so far. My husband even changed employers after just 3 months here and also that was no problem. He just had to apply for new 457 visa with new employer. I can work anywhere, no problems. Let me know if there is anything specific you need to know, then I can maybe give you that info. The whole application process is not at all difficult, so don't worry about that (if maybe you were, as we were ) :rolleyes:

Hi all,

been reading up a storm on visas etc, and the more i learn the more I realise I need to know - so just as I think I understand it all, it all seems to change when I find a new glitch in my system of knowledge. Hm, so.

We are going to go the 457 route, I know hubby needs to have a skills assessment done by Vetassess - and so far I cant tell if he needs to do IELTS??? All 3 of his degrees were done at English universities in SA so I would guess that that should be fine (hey, we're from Durban and can barely speak Afrikaans!). Plus my husband needs to have professional body membership to practice his work, which he does, and this body is based in the UK. Plus we lived adn worked in the UK for 4 years, do you think they will accept this as proof of a competant level of English?? (is a bit silly really, but want to follow the RULES!)

The reason I am worrying is that the next available IELTS test is late August, so if they should request the results we'd be waiting a lot longer - dont know how an employer would feel about that. Dont want to just do test anyway as it would delay visa request till august at least plus its very pricey and we need to save every penny.

Anybody know how I can find out for sure if he needs to do IELTS, then at least I could book it??? anybody know what would happen if we took a chance and did teh application without IELTS, and then were told we needed it. IELTS is so booked up it would take a few months to get them the results, so would we be at the back of the queue? or would our application be rejected?

Its all a bit confusing and I am worrying way in advance, of course, as we still have to find him a job and sponsor first!

Thanks for any help availabe though.

GSI

Hi,

We are in Oz on 457 visa and we did not need to write the test, even though our first language is Afr. We have both obtained our qualifications at English universities. You could email or phone the high commission in Pretoria to find out maybe if you are worried. Don't think they handle the 457 visas, but they could direct you to someone that knows :rolleyes:

Ek wil graag weet hoe kry mens 'n 'sponsor'? Moet mens die firma's self konak en vra? Gebruik mens werkverskaffersburo's? Kan mens al die dokumente self behartig of moet mens 'n agent gebruik? Help asb enige iemand!!! :oops:

Sjoe, dis 'n moeilike een. Jy kan natuurlik online aansoek doen vir werk, maar al die werke daar is gewoonlik net vir permanent residents. Ons het 'n sponsor gekry deur familie wat reeds hier was wat my man kon aanbeveel vir 'n werk hier. Maar moenie bekommerd wees nie! Dis heeltemal moontlik! In watter veld soek jy werk? Dis ook redelik maklik om 'n sponsor te kry as jy hierheen kan kom vir onderhoude, maar dis ongelooflik duur en nie altyd moontlik nie.

Goeie websites vir werk:

www.careerone.com.au

www.seek.com.au

Van daar kan jy ook die recruiters se websites besoek en dalk 'n persoonlike email vir hulle stuur wat jou situasie verduidelik. Dalk kan hulle dan so begin soek vir jou. Uit my persoonlike ervaring hier, lyk dit my recruiters is 'n goeie opsie, want hier is recruiters groot.

Laat weet as ek met nog iets kan help. Al hierdie inligting is maar uit my persoonlike ervaring!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

My husband and I am currently in Oz on a 457 visa. You don't have to return to SA after 4 years, except I guess if you don't apply for your permanent residency. We are busy with our applications for permanent residency, just waiting for police clearance reports from SA... I don't know much about other type of visas, but we have not had any problems so far. My husband even changed employers after just 3 months here and also that was no problem. He just had to apply for new 457 visa with new employer. I can work anywhere, no problems. Let me know if there is anything specific you need to know, then I can maybe give you that info. The whole application process is not at all difficult, so don't worry about that (if maybe you were, as we were ) :whome:

This is positive news to us as we eventually wish to apply for PR. What was your timeline for each process (docs required, assessments etc) as it would greatly assist us? We would like to get started soon as possible as this process would be much quicker than the 175. If you prefer you can email me on jmoses02@gmail.com. Thanks :ilikeit:

VeeMiles,

I'm brand new to this - still need to wade my way through all the acronyms, FAQs and whatever, so I hope this isn't a question I shouldn't be asking! I'm 45 (too old!!!) and my partner is 41. Both of us are in IT, so we're looking at the skilled migrant thing. Is it worth trying to look for work before we even have a visa, or does that need to be in place first? Or are you saying that it's worth just applying for jobs, regardless, but try to make sure that we go over for a visit and arrange to do interviews then? (How long does a tourist visa take, anyway?) We obviously want to try to minimise costs, since it seems like to cost a fortune in any case, so if it's possible to do the whole thing based on the visa and don't have to go through a migration company that would help a lot.

In a nutshell my question is: do we start on the visa, or the job applications?

Thanks for any help!

Astrid