Can you believe it!!!

Rodz

Rodz,

I'll probably be crucified after this post... but at least your neighbours and friends over there didn't say this in true SA fashion:

"Be glad they didn't take the car. And be thankful they didn't rape your wife and killed your whole family just for the cell phone. You should be thankful just to be alive."

And I bet you the police were not half as incompetent or nonchalant as these over here.

Sorry to hear about this. Put a positive spin on it and brag to the Ozzies how you managed to survive due to your survival skills from SA ;-)

Tell them you looked down the barrel of the gun and dared the dude to pull the trigger and he was too much of a sissie to do it.

Just goes to show that there is no escaping crime so we still have to be vigilent with our security issues.However ,I do not think that anyone can say that the grass is still greener on your side LoL

Hi guys!!!

2 months into my stay here in aus and i get burgled. To crown it off we are in the house. They stole my beers out of the fridge, my wifes cell phone and my car keys!! I had just fallen off to sleep when my wife shouted at them. She was busy reading. They came within 3 meters of our room. By the time i got outside they were gone. If i got them that South African instinct would have taken over.

I think we were a bit complacent as we left the windows open with and gates open. Well it could have been worse as we could have lost my laptop and so much more.

The cops were here within 40 min.

I dont mind the cell phone but the car keys is the main issue. Now we sitting awake, like in the good ol SA, in case they come back for the car.Now its back to locks and crap. My wife is totally shaken up.

The policeman said that you cannot break any of his bones as he could make a case against you......well we will see about that.......

Hi Rodz, sorry to hear. My daughter lives in Townsville also,,studied at James Cook University,- and works as Marine Biologist (research work) at the same Uni.(sure you have seen it) very nice University. Anyway, as you know, lots and lots of students in that town. Do you think it was a couple of young students trying to be cool or something?

I will mention it to her.

Here in Texas we used to live opposite a College and very close to a High School, and I tell you, it is a fun thing for these young people to just "break in" and help themselves on beer. Caught them many times, and talk about damaged mail boxes,,and stealing our mail,,,never ending.

When you are new to the neighbourhood, it is even worse.

But I will mention it to my daughter, and hear what she has to say about the incident. She has been there over 5 years now, and loves the place.

Eish Rod what can I say, I know exactly how you feel. The worst feeling for me is the helplessness as you dont have the culprit to vent the rage on.

The ozzies here think I am mad because I lock everything and wont leave stuff in my car. I have even had a few prowls around the house while learning the noises it makes at night, some of them are real loud.

I still have the habit of looking if I still have a car 1st thing in the morning and I still get the shits and the aggression if someone runs past it or gives me a fright.

I nearly moered the laaitjie from next door last week because he snuck up on me as I was getting out of my car and didnt see him till he was next to me.

It gives me the shits that I feel like this and I am sure most of us do its going to take a while to wear off I think.

Happy Hunting

Thats too bad Rod. We were also broken into about 7 days after arriving in Townsville. It sucks. If I remember correctly, Townsville has the worst house breaking figures, per capita, in Australia.