Can you believe it!!!

Rodz

Hi guys!!!

2 months into my stay here in aus and i get burgled. To crown it off we are in the house. They stole my beers out of the fridge, my wifes cell phone and my car keys!! I had just fallen off to sleep when my wife shouted at them. She was busy reading. They came within 3 meters of our room. By the time i got outside they were gone. If i got them that South African instinct would have taken over.

I think we were a bit complacent as we left the windows open with and gates open. Well it could have been worse as we could have lost my laptop and so much more.

The cops were here within 40 min.

I dont mind the cell phone but the car keys is the main issue. Now we sitting awake, like in the good ol SA, in case they come back for the car.Now its back to locks and crap. My wife is totally shaken up.

The policeman said that you cannot break any of his bones as he could make a case against you......well we will see about that.......

Just out of curiosity - do your neighbours know that you are not Australian ie could it not just be pranksters or people who like to pick on the the new 'kids' on the block esp if you are foreign?

Hi Rodz

Sorry to hear, that is terrible.

I suppose there is no where in the world where you are 100% safe. :ilikeit:

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

We have excellent neighbours. They are all old people. its a very quiet suburb! well we waiting for them as 1 just rode past on his bike. he probably thinking that he cant let the geluk go pass,as he has my car keys

Hi Rodz I am so sorry to hear of your horrible experience especially when you are still new and settling in. It must be devastating. I really appreciate you sharing this with the forum though as it brings things into perspective that things are not all rosy elsewhere in the world, however, having said that I don't want to start a debate about it cos i'm also very aware of the savagery in SA that can accompany such an incident.

Shame, I hope you manage to change the locks on your car soon.

cheers

Hi Rodz I am so sorry to hear of your horrible experience especially when you are still new and settling in. It must be devastating. I really appreciate you sharing this with the forum though as it brings things into perspective that things are not all rosy elsewhere in the world, however, having said that I don't want to start a debate about it cos i'm also very aware of the savagery in SA that can accompany such an incident.

Shame, I hope you manage to change the locks on your car soon.

cheers

Hi Celeste

I don't mind the cell phone and beers but just the inconvenience of the car locks. They had plans to come back later on. We have never slept yet for the night. At about 4 this morning there was some commotion in the street as a ute made a uturn right in front of our house. We thought he might be dropping someone off to complete the mission.

They must pray i dont catch them in my house or on my property, by god they will see the wrath of SA!! i swear to god his mother wont recognize him when i am done with him. We lived enough in fear in SA!!!

Buddy buddy buddy, agge nee man!!!!!

Beers and cell and car keys!!! I know you'r not a happy camper at the moment but think about it! No guns no ruffing up no tying down no ......!

Just a bunch of idiots taking a chance!!! They'r all around!! Hope you get the keys back, maybe they'll throw it into the garden. Oh and by the way just take the battery terminal off or take the roater or something out the car and go to bed!! Don't let them bugg you they'r just hooning idiots trying to be stupid!!! Steeling a ouks beers!! How stupid!!

Love to Mariaan and the kiddies

Nilo

Edited by Nilo

Hi Rodz

Just thought I would share our experience! About a year after we moved to Melbourne, we were burgled..for the first time in our lives..never happened in SA. Imagine how sheepish I was to explain that one to my family and friends in SA. Our stuff was all packed up for them...as we were moving into our new home in one week's time. Fortunately they must have been disturbed, as they only took my brand new computer and the video machine!

In SA I once had my car keys lifted out of my handbag...thank goodness I realised it within minutes....just scampered back to the car, whilst my son phoned his Dad to come and help. The car was new.. three weeks old.. but Toyota kindly came and picked it up.. took it away.. and three days later I had it back, new door locks and alarm codes. The costliest was changing all our office and house locks, as the keys were on the same bunch!

Next time the youngster rides his bike in front of your house, stick the broomstick into the spokes! You can always claim your hand slipped!

Buddy buddy buddy, agge nee man!!!!!

Beers and cell and car keys!!! I know you'r not a happy camper at the moment but think about it! No guns no ruffing up no tying down no ......!

Just a bunch of idiots taking a chance!!! They'r all around!! Hope you get the keys back, maybe they'll throw it into the garden. Oh and by the way just take the battery terminal off or take the roater or something out the car and go to bed!! Don't let them bugg you they'r just hooning idiots trying to be stupid!!! Steeling a ouks beers!! How stupid!!

Love to Mariaan and the kiddies

Nilo

Hi Nilo

Its not about the guns and all that, thank god for that though, but just the fact that someone was in our house makes it scary. we are what we were like before we left SA. i have a moerse chain on my gate and i make sure everything is locked. i am off to the rental mense in the morning to beef up the security here.........we are like zombies!! We feel like we are being held to ransom and like i said...laat ek hulle hier kry........ I think its normal.

Hi Rodz

Just thought I would share our experience! About a year after we moved to Melbourne, we were burgled..for the first time in our lives..never happened in SA. Imagine how sheepish I was to explain that one to my family and friends in SA. Our stuff was all packed up for them...as we were moving into our new home in one week's time. Fortunately they must have been disturbed, as they only took my brand new computer and the video machine!

In SA I once had my car keys lifted out of my handbag...thank goodness I realised it within minutes....just scampered back to the car, whilst my son phoned his Dad to come and help. The car was new.. three weeks old.. but Toyota kindly came and picked it up.. took it away.. and three days later I had it back, new door locks and alarm codes. The costliest was changing all our office and house locks, as the keys were on the same bunch!

Next time the youngster rides his bike in front of your house, stick the broomstick into the spokes! You can always claim your hand slipped!

Hi Mara

Well the slipping hand is easy to explain but what must i say about him falling on my steel cap toe of my safety shoe???

Hehe...Rodz....perhaps your legged slipped instead and it happened to be covered by a steel tipped shoe?

Rodz

The steeltipped shoe is actually easy to xplain.

You want to prevent him falling off the bike?????? So you pushed your foot out to help the poor kid, as it was obvious he as going to fall????? :offtopic:

LOL

Rather make sure your flyscreens are locked at night, then they have to kick up a commotion to enter.

Windows, well, ours can't lock, so we just put on the ceiling fans.

Dit sou my ook teen die grond bedonderd gehad het. :whome: jy moet ook in ag neem, dis nou skoolvakansie en hierdie klomp soek iets om mee besig te bly.

As jy hom kry, bind hom vas en laat jou vrou die lewende rook uit hom slaan, dan kan sy net sê sy het haarself verdedig. Of vat die klein wetter en keer hom dan om en slaan sy gat aan die brand, maar doen 'n goeie job asb!!!!!! :oops:

Carelene

An Aussie mate from work had his shed broken into. He heard them and cornered them outside. Two youngsters out for something to go and sell for fast cash. As it was dark they slipped and fell against some stuff in his shed in an attempt to escape. Shame, poor lads, they had bruises all over :oops: . He called the cops after they fell and he locked them in the shed.Thats the official version to the cops in any case :whome::offtopic:

I can't believe it! :ilikeit: I know this is gonna seem a bit weird, but maybe it's an okay-ish thing that this happened - it will remind ALL of us that Aus is not Utopia, bad things do happen there too. :( Just sorry it had to be you Rodz. And I get where you're coming from with the car and the worriedness about that - don't worry - they've probably tweaked by now there is a big, bad-tempered-cause-he-was-robbed oke living there - they probably don't have the guts to come back! ! I think I might have been more upset about the beer though. :) The audacity! :blink:

Anyways, good luck with the worries etc - this is probably a once off. :whome: And as many have told you before - just try to prevent the lad from falling of the bike whilst wearing the steel toe shoe and having a frying pan in your hand which accidentally slipped and hit him on the bridge of the nose... :P The randomness of it all...

Sorry Rodz! After all your security problems in SA!

It's just bad luck, mate. Just lock up a bit more. Luckily it wasn''t serious. :blush:

Bronwyn

Jislaaik Rodz. That is too much!!! Please give me a shout when you have him locked up. I still have enough South African anger in me to tell him his good fortune... I'm a lady so is there any bloke out there who want to borrow my number 6 steel toe shoes... Oh I can drop it on his head by accident! I will do it very lady like... Or I can trip and step "gently" on a sensitive small part if needed...

Maybe you should hang an old south african flag outside your house as warning...

Will be thinking of you!

Shame Rodz, getting your house broken into, no matter where it is in the world, is never a nice experience. We've had our house broken into a few times here in SA and I always feel that everything is so dirty. I go on a complete cleaning spree to try and wipe away their presence from the house.

It could have happened anywhere in the world, at least you guys are ok.

Hope you get the new locks soon!

Michele

I can't believe it! :ilikeit: I know this is gonna seem a bit weird, but maybe it's an okay-ish thing that this happened - it will remind ALL of us that Aus is not Utopia, bad things do happen there too. :( Just sorry it had to be you Rodz. And I get where you're coming from with the car and the worriedness about that - don't worry - they've probably tweaked by now there is a big, bad-tempered-cause-he-was-robbed oke living there - they probably don't have the guts to come back! ! I think I might have been more upset about the beer though. :whome: The audacity! :ph34r:

Anyways, good luck with the worries etc - this is probably a once off. :ilikeit: And as many have told you before - just try to prevent the lad from falling of the bike whilst wearing the steel toe shoe and having a frying pan in your hand which accidentally slipped and hit him on the bridge of the nose... ;) The randomness of it all...

Yes i make sure everything is locked up at night. It should not have happened in the first place. I am kla worrying now. My car is now valued more than what i bought it , thanx to my insurance, so if they want it they can have it! :D

Sorry Rodz! After all your security problems in SA!

It's just bad luck, mate. Just lock up a bit more. Luckily it wasn''t serious. :)

Bronwyn

Yes those last 3 months back in PMB came back to haunt me like a bad dream. Yes and now wifey has a brand new phone!!Pity about all her pics she had on old one.

Jislaaik Rodz. That is too much!!! Please give me a shout when you have him locked up. I still have enough South African anger in me to tell him his good fortune... I'm a lady so is there any bloke out there who want to borrow my number 6 steel toe shoes... Oh I can drop it on his head by accident! I will do it very lady like... Or I can trip and step "gently" on a sensitive small part if needed...

Maybe you should hang an old south african flag outside your house as warning...

Will be thinking of you!

laatjies like this dont need a talking to but a good hiding!! man i wish i could catch one of them......... I told my lanie new years eve that we can defend ourselves and will when needed!!

Shame Rodz, getting your house broken into, no matter where it is in the world, is never a nice experience. We've had our house broken into a few times here in SA and I always feel that everything is so dirty. I go on a complete cleaning spree to try and wipe away their presence from the house.

It could have happened anywhere in the world, at least you guys are ok.

Hope you get the new locks soon!

Michele

Its like you say, just to think that someone was in your "space". I just cant stop thinking what i would have done had i caught one...just one.......I am watching every night for that gelukkie!!

Thanx guys!!

Sorry to hear that Rodz.

I mean really....take the car keys, take the pc.....

BUT THE BEERS!!!!! That is not acceptable. :P

Just trying to lighten the mood.

Howzit Rodz!

Ouch!!!!!!!

Just a reminder that we are not to throw all precaution overboard in Oz and be over complacent. I think one still need to remain vigilint in respect of safety & security, albeit not necessarily to the extent it was required in SA.

YOUR STILL IN A BETTER PLACE CHINA!!!!!!!

Net Kop hou Jong!

Cheers

Nick

Can you believe it! We've been burgled as well! How is this for a happy new year? :D

They stole some R10 000 worth of hubby's tools and equipment from our wendy house last night... after they climbed over an 8 foot wall! :(:P:P Our bedroom window faces the wendy house and it's about 3 metres apart!

This, only 4 months away from his 5 year no-claim bonus...

This is just one too much for me right now. Our 136 visa has been granted 18 Dec 2007 and we are busy with some last minute spit and polish before putting the house in the market so we can leave for Ozzieland. Now all his tools are gone... Luckily they left the lawn mower (it's only a few months old!). So we can still mow the lawn while we wait for the insurance to pay out, after which the tools and stuff will be replaced and we can continue with our "house mission"...

I think we should be lucky that the police came out. We phoned 8:00, 12:00 and 14:00 and they arrived at 16:00, THE SAME DAY!! :blink:

Only in (South) Africa :blink:

Edited by Huisvrouki

Poor luck Rodz!!

But its only materialistic things that were taken and thank goodness not your life like it could have been here in SA!!!

My friends always question me about how I could want to leave this beautiful country. "There is crime everywhere". Yeah there is....but its NOT as violent as here.

Where there are people and temptation there will always be crime...its up to us just to be careful.

Okay, about not hurting burglars.

In the UK its a law that you have to paint your gutters with non-slip paint.

Reason: A burglar might clamber up your gutter and if it has slippery paint on he might slide and break something then you will have criminal charges pressed against you!

In the UK its a law that you have to paint your gutters with non-slip paint.

What is this world coming to? Almost everywhere you look criminals have more rights than law-abiding citizens, and this mostly because of criminal lawyers! :ilikeit:

Rodz!

So sorry to hear this!

I would be very tempted to wait in the bushes with a baseball bat when they came back for the car....

Thinking of you.

• 4 months later...
Hi guys!!!

2 months into my stay here in aus and i get burgled.

Hi Rodz,

Wow just noticed this thread and can't believe it. We too are in Townsville (Aitkenvale) and got burgled on boxing day. We were in the house and they attempted to get in through a window but must have realised we were in the house. They they then went around the back of the property and went into my sons downstairs bedroom and cleaned him out (the door was unlocked).

We called the cops and they were here within about 20 minutes. It seems that the guy that came into our property then went and stole a bike from a different property and attempted to break into a third property where he was caught in the act and managed to escape. The cops had a description of the guy but told us straight off that there would be little chance of recovering anything or doing anything to the guy....

Anyways we now have a six foot fence in the front of the property and 2 dogs to alert us to anyone near the house (lol). I felt very insecure after it happened and have definitely become more cautious with locking up things since then.

Oh well it just goes to prove that crime happens all over the world - the only good thing is that over here they will take what they can but wont go out looking to harm anyone to get to what they want.

Cheers,

Paula