Cape Town - 24 Nov 2007

Dedrei

17 members have voted

1. 1. When do you prefer the coffee club?

• Morning/Breakfast/Brunch
    • Afternoon/Lunch
    • Evening/Dinner
  2. 2. Where would you like to have the coffee club?

• Southern Suburbs
    • Northern Suburbs
    • Stellenbosh/Paarl area
  3. 3. How many people would be joining us?

• 6+

Guest mrs mupersan

Inside venues are a difficult one - kids can't get out to play so end up ruining the gathering for the adults! No offense to parents but there's nothing worse than talking to someone and their kid comes and climbs on their lap and interrupts the conversation.

The only place I can think of that takes care of the problem is Grand West. Adults can go to a restaurant and leave their kids in the entertainment area.

The other bonus is that it's dead centre of northern & southern suburbs.

Edited by mrs mupersan

I might make it on Saturday, will have a look on here to see what people decide on depending on the weather. Just take into consideration that if you decide Grand West and want to go to a restaurant, not everyone can leave their children at a play area, as some of us have small babies, as well as the fact that not everyone smokes.

The only place I can think of that takes care of the problem is Grand West. Adults can go to a restaurant and leave their kids in the entertainment area.

You are kidding right!!! :rolleyes: I would NEVER do this!!!!!!! even though my daughter is 7. Are you not aware of the no. of kids that get abducted?

kids can't get out to play so end up ruining the gathering for the adults! No offense to parents but there's nothing worse than talking to someone and their kid comes and climbs on their lap and interrupts the conversation.

I take offense to your comments on children. I have a policy where if my child is not welcome then neither am I & won't attend if ANY invitation state "no children".

Wat suggest julle vir 'n backup plan?

I don't mind going to a Spur as long as we can sit next to the play area & in a non-smoking area. There is a lovely Spur at the Sunningdale West Coast Village & if the weather clears the verandah is lovely.

There are quite a number of people with children (young children actually), so lets try & accomodate everyone as one of the reasons alot of us are migrating to Oz is for them & they are a BIG part of the move & are affected as well. I think it's wonderful they they too get to make friends with other kids moving over, it's a big help to quieten some of the insecurities of leaving life long friends behind.

Edited by Aramat

Hi all,

just looked at the weather forecast and it seems we might be lucky on Saturday, no rain!

We can also consider Klein Joostenberg Bistro / Deli which is just across the road from Giraffe House for a plan B if it rains. (But then it will be kids and all in the same area).

chiirs,

Anzel

hi all,

Me and hubby will definitely join you but as I have a kitchen tea which starts at 11h00 I will probably only be there at 12h30. Hope you all will still be there. I've also checked on weathersa.co.za and a max of 20 is forecast for saturday so hopefully it won't change before that.

cheers,

carla xx

Guest mrs mupersan

Aramat, please read my post properly. I did NOT say your kid wasn't welcome!!!!! I certainly do not have any right or authority to say that as I am not organising this event. However, I do find it extremely irritating when I'm trying to have an adult conversation with someone and they allow their child to interrupt the conversation because they're bored or want attention. I have absolutely no problem with a gathering where children are around - however, if there is nothing to occupy the kids, then they tend to totally dominate all adult interaction. This then negates the whole reason for getting together in the first place - to interact with fellow forumites, swapping stories, getting & giving advice & generally offering support to each other.

I was just trying to come up with an alternate venue that would suit people with & without kids. Also in a location that wasn't so far out of town & a bit more central for everyone.

I'm looking forward to getting together with people who I don't have to play down my excitement with. We can't express our true feelings when talking to the people we are leaving behind.

RenierPret - we are also non-smokers. There are very few restaurants at Grand West which have smoking sections.

I have another suggestion..... What about going to the ice rink at Grand West? The kids can skate (and some of the adults if they want!) and the adults can sit on the stands (maybe with some takeaways from the food court) and chat where they can see their kids.

If there are going to be 20 adults + some kids, then we're going to have a hard time fitting into a restaurant whether it's Grand West, Spur or any other place.

Hallo almal

Ek het ook gaan kyk na die weer, en as alles goed gaan behoort ons nie enige reën te hê nie.

Dalk moet ons maar net die reëlings hou soos wat dit is en nogsteeds Giraffe House toe gaan.

Anzel se idee lyk baie goed en dis dan ook 'n alternatief:

We can also consider Klein Joostenberg Bistro / Deli which is just across the road from Giraffe House for a plan B if it rains. (But then it will be kids and all in the same area).

As ons op die ysskaatsbaan besluit, sal dit baie onpersoonlik wees, en niemand se aandag gaan wees by enige gesprekke nie, want almal wat kinders het gaan veel eerder kyk of hulle kinders nie gaan seerkry nie.

Sien julle Saterdag.

Robert & Telanie

Hi Almal

Ons kyk maar wat die weer maak. Ek sien ook hulle voorspel nie reen nie, maar dit lyk of die wind steeds baie onplesierig gaan wees, en as dit enige iets so erg soos die afgelope twee dae is, sal ons iets binnemuurs moet soek.

Ek stem ook vir Klein Joostenberg, en as die weer lekker is, kan ons steeds Giraffe House toe gaan, want dis n klipgooi weg. Ons sal dit bo die ysskaatsbaan verkies.

Groete, en sien julle binnekort!

Die Kruger-gesin

Ok julle ons hou dit dan vir Giraffe House. As ons daar kom en ons sien die weer is goor dan gaan ons maar langsaan na Klein Joostenberg, dis vreeslik nice daar ook.

As vir die kinders, ons het 3 of 4 babies en 3 kinders tussen ouderdomme van 3 en 7. So meeste is babatjies.

Sien julle dan Saterdag 11am.

Groete

Dedrei

See you all Saturday, we will bring our 10 month old with us! No matter what the weather.. We can always make a plan.. :ilikeit:

Aramat, please read my post properly. I did NOT say your kid wasn't welcome!!!!! I certainly do not have any right or authority to say that as I am not organising this event.

I think my post has been mis understood. I was making a GENERAL comment on ALL invitations that may or maynot come our way. I never stated that you said my child wasn't welcome.

I would love to say that my child won't interupt my conversations, however as you don't have any children you wouldn't know that, if you try to get them to wait, they forget what it was they wanted to tell you. I also LOVE the times she still comes & sits on my lap because as they get older this happens less & less frequently and I cherish all the loves & hugs I get!

REMEMBER many of us are making this big move primarily for their future so at the last three coffee club get togethers about 90% of us have children or babies. So many conversations get interuppted by our beautiful little angels and MOST people don't/didn't mind one bit!!

I now consider this debate closed!

Johnsons - I hope you guys make it, would love to meet you as it seems as Murphy has prevented you guys from attending three coffee clubs so far, such a pity, lets hope not this time though :D

Hoping for good weather, see you all there