RETURNING 2 South Africa

RSA-Klong

Question

Ek het lank gedink of ek my tyd moet mors om iets te skryf, maar het toe maar besluit dalk sal dit vir iemand iets beteken, dalk nie. Soos talle voor ons, het ons alles gepak en was vol lus vir ons nuwe lewe in Oz. Die lewe het toe nie so mooi uitgedraai soos alles in ons drome was nie.

Ons sit hier vanaand, amper die laaste aand in die wonderlike wereld down under. Ja, ons vlieg binnekort terug SA toe. I must admit that this was one of the most expensive journeys I have undertaken to discover who and what I am at this stage of my life. I am so sad that I ever had the opportunity to experience Oz, for it must be one of the best places on earth to live. I am sad that I will never be able to call this home or to make it my own.

I suppose that I am one of those people for whom immigration does not work. The friendly people that helped us to pack the few things we bought here informed me that we are the second family for the day that they have packed, returning to South Africa. My jaw dropped to the table. I asked them if they often get this. For the second shocker, YES!!! Last week one team of the ten teams, packed up 5 families returning to South Africa. This was confirmed by the office. Who these people are, nobody knows, but they are there, and they are more than we think or like to think.

I know people will now say that, yes there are people returning, but think of the thousands that are coming here. I also know of the thousands that are coming here, because we were part of them. But what people do not realise is that hundreds are returning as well, and we NEVER hear from them. Why do we not here from them? If you read my first sentence again, you will know why. ……………… Why bother, I already feel like a failure, and the last thing I have energy for now, is to hear what a bad place South Africa is and to be crucified by some members.

This forum have helped me so much and I am not trying to undo the good work of the forum, but rather would like readers to know there is another side as well. Die meeste van julle is wonderlike mense. Sterkte aan die wat bly en sterkte aan die wat terugkeer.

• Answers 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• elizes

• Blossom

• Mara

• Annette

Top Posters For This Question

RSA-klong,

Baie dankie dat jy jou ervaring met ons deel. Ek wens meer mense wat terugkeer na SA, wil aan hierdie forum deelneem ;) Ons klomp wat nog sit en droom oor ons nuwe lewe in down under sal graag julle kant van die verhaal ook wil hoor. Sterkte met julle terugtog!

Hi RSA-Klong

Thanks so much for sharing your story. It has certainly made me think about my own journey a little more seriously ie. it's easy to think u won't miss SA but the reality is obviously different. I have learned a great deal from your post, you certainly did not waste your time in sharing. It's made me think about some of the issues you have raised.

In fact, I think you are very brave to return to SA and I hope you settle in back home with great ease. As others have said only you know where you are supposed to be on this planet.

We went down your road when we left for the UK. We stuck it out for 9 years, but the 'call of Africa' was very strong, so we decided to come back. That was 5 years ago and in hindsight, the best move that we could have made, as this has now highlighted that the South Africa that we love and know, no longer exists. :)

This makes the 2nd time round an easier adjustment as I will not shed one tear for SA once in Oz. I know that it will still be hard at times, but I have made my peace that SA is NOT the place to live for us, but I understand exactly where you are in the 'journey'. Try and keep your PR an open option as you may find in a couple of years you change your mind again like we did.

Dit is ongelooflik moeilik om hier te bly. Dit is moelik om te aanvaar dat jy nie hier, dieselfde mens is as wat jy daar was nie. En nie almal kan dit aanvaar nie.

Ek sukkel elke dag om an Aus "gewoond" te raak. Sommige dae is dit maklik. Maar meeste van die tyd (veral in die aand, net voordat jy aan die slaap raak) wonder jy of hierdie gevoel, van aleen wees ooit sal gegaan.

Baie dankie vir hierdie post en sterkte vir die pad wat kom.

Fred

Edited by Fred

I am writing this, not only as a (hopefully) inspiration to others, but also as a means of closure for me.

My story thus far:

2004 – husband gets phone call (out of the blue) from agency in New Zealand, asking whether he will be interested in coming over for job interviews (IT Architect) I am 3 months pregnant with our boy and we have a 14 month daughter. We live in Fourways, Sandton. I am a lawyer at a big bank he does contract work. Affirmative actions is starting to leave its mark and my husband’s career looks as if it’s going nowhere. The telephone call seems a sign from God. We decide to go for it. He flies out in June (I am 6 months pregnant). The day before he flies, we have a show house, we leave early to go to my parents, they break into the house, through electric fencing, automated gate, butler door and an alarm. Anyway, hubby gets lots of interviews and decides on a job in Wellington. He comes over for the birth (I have sold the house, Elliots have packed up a 40ft container and my daughter and I am living with my parents in Frankfort, Free State) Hubby comes over for the birth, drops me off in Frankfort and flies back. My sister flies with me, my 8 week old son and 22 month old daughter in November to our new rental in Wellington.

2004-2006 I hate Wellington. I cry from day one. I do not even go through the 6 month honeymoon. We immediately go to the Arfikaans church in Wellington and have our son baptized before my sister returns to SA. I go see a NZ doctor and get anti depressants. We meet nice Kiwis and lots of Saffers. Some of the Saffer wives feel like me, cry most of the time, hate the weather (Wellington must have the worst weather) and some love it. I get more depressed. My mom comes and visits in June 2005 and I feel as if my heart is being wrenched out when she leaves. My husband books a ticket for me and the kids in September to go and visit the family in SA. I fly over and have to go on different ant-depressants through a doctor in SA. I start to feel better. My husband has had enough and says we can go back, he can’t bear to see me like this. I am delighted. His only requirement is that the kids and I will stay in Frankfort and he will work in JHB and see us over weekends. (1h30 commute one way) He does not want us to live in JHB for obvious reasons.

March 2006- came back with another 40 ft container (do your sums ) Loved it. After a few months, we see my husband will not be able to work from home as we anticipated. I start doing contract work again.

March 2007 – In this period I grow closer to God and realize the sacrifice my husband has made. He sits in a guest house during the week and sees his kids only on weekends. During this period I have also been diagnosed with post natal depression and realize our timing with such a small baby was ridiculous.

I ask my husband where does he wants to live and he says where he always wanted to go, Australia, NZ was only a stepping stone.

May 2007 – I start to do soul searching, I pray, I cry, I start getting panic attacks, and then I became calm and it dawned on me. I came back for my family, I did not come back for SA, if I was so patriotic, why don’t I know the words to Nkosi? Why was I not more involved? Why am I clutching to my Afrikaans culture when I spoke more Afrikaans in NZ than ever in JHB? Yes, the sun was all but gone in Wellington, but we will make wiser choices next time. Yes, our rental was disgusting, but again it was only temporary. So why am I sitting here, with a husband who is getting more depressed and aggressive by the day, and who only came back to help me? I realized what God meant when he said you shall leave your family and cleave to your husband.

June 2007 – started the process (we had most of the docs in any event prior to leaving for NZ - Police clearances have expired, ha-ha) and will hopefully hand in our application by the beginning of next year. Why am I telling this? I know many Saffers in NZ who pine for SA but can never come back. They have placed SA on a pedestal and just can’t get on with their lives there. It is a terrible waste of time. I had the luxury of coming back and seeing things were not as great as I had thought while in NZ.

If you want to come back by all means do so, I am the last to judge, just make sure you are coming back a committed South African, taking it with warts and all.

If you decide to leave, ditto, but also realize, once the newness has worn off, your boss will probably still be an idiot, your suburb not one of the best and your kids may be bullied. But you will feel safer, your kids may have more choices once they graduate, your old age will be rosier and you will generally feel less stressed.

My best advise is to leave with both legs, you can’t straddle both continents. Become an Aussie or a Kiwi, get the accent. Remember your heritage, have your Saffer friends, but also get other friends, be it Brits, Aussies or Asians. Enjoy you new life. When the Bokke play, root for them and when the Aussies play, root for them.

You don’t have to give up your past but you have to live your present and plan your future. Lastly do not become one of those Saffers who fervently watch News24 and go to work and list all the bad things about SA and sit around the BBQ and bitch. It is not attractive and only fuels the reputation of winging Saffers. Make peace with the fact that you will have days where your heart will break for longing or if you see something remotely African, you will get tears in you eyes, it’s fine, cry, tomorrow you will feel better.

So, why do some people settle easier than others? I don’t know- there is not a clear cut answer, only an awful amount of pain for those who can’t get past the longing but once you have gotten past that hurdle you may experience a calmness and peace that surpasses everything.

Remember, God is everywhere, not just in SA. And I feel that it does not matter to Him so much where you are as long as you let His Love shine through.

I will always pray for SA and its future I will now add Australia.

*sob*

Odelia, your story has touched my heart, thank you. I hope that I can draw inspiration from your words (and those of other forumites like QG) when I get to Aus. Thank you for sharing this.

Cindy

Hi Odelia,

I got goosebumps while reading your posting.

Well done and thanks for opening up and for being so honest.

Kim

Odelia

That was really something all of us needed, I think. Yes, like my hubby says, God goes with us and this will keep us close. But to think it wont be difficult, is wrong. It seems there will be days where you feel you want to pack up and come back, but like a lot of you said on this forum, JUST HOLD IT OUT.

If you can't, then don't be afraid to return, for your own sanity!

Good luck with all your plans, and when we arrive in Gold Coast, we will have a spare bed if you's guys want to come visit or need a stopover....

Regards

Elize

I can identify with your feelings wholeheartedly.

We left SA originally in 1996, to the UK - for a period of almost 5 years. We missed SA so much, and decided to return back to SA at the end of 2000. Life was wonderful, bought a house over there without a bond.. life was great.. However, the honeymoon period wore off with affirmative action - my husband was unable to progress, so we decided to move back to the UK. At this time we qualified on the points system for Australia, but it seemed a schlep to get all the necessary documents and the waiting for the visa, we decided to go back to the UK for a second try. You may think us mad when i carry on, but sometimes its a path you have to walk..

We stayed in the UK for 18 more months, and then returned back to SA. Our daughter at this stage was about to start high school, and we agreed that high schools in the UK left a lot to be desired, and we would rather her grow up for this period of her life in South AFrica.

Life was great for a further 2 1/2 years, but then we saw the bigger picture.. and decided to send in our visa application for Australia. We were told it would be around 18 months, so decided that we would go back to the UK to work and save more pounds as it would be easier to come to Aus with pounds than rands.

Our daughter who was at this stage 15 was really good about the move and has been a star through all of this.

We got our visa granted after being back in the UK for 4 months. Made the activation trip last december, and now have been here for almost 3 months. For us, we feel so content and settled so quickly, a feeling that we didn't get in the UK. I think because we made the initial break with close friends and family all those years ago, has made it easier. Where we live now on the gold coast is so similar to Durban. Our daughter is very happy here, and has found herself a part time job, and is in yr 11 at school. There are so many opportunities available to her here, that she didn't have in either the UK or SA.

I know many people will think we are in the honeymoon period.. however, the only gripe i have with living in Aus at the moment is the time difference and how early we have to get up to watch the Springboks!

I also feel had we come here initially, we may not have settled, however, we have had to walk the path and spend a few rands and pounds on the journey.. but I think now we may just have found what we have been looking for. :)

Guest Vermeulens

Hi Odelia,

Thank you for your honesty and advice, well said in your very first post.

I'm sure everyone will be touched by your story ... the ones that has left and long for SA, the ones still deciding (if it is the best thing to do) AND the ones coming back to SA.

Good luck and be safe until you go again.

Em

Great post.

I've been visiting "Moving back to the UK" on British Expats often to get a balanced view. Have a look by following this link.

It contains more than 75 000 posts but you have to sift through them to filter out the UK-specific elements.

Edited by JJV

Thank you Odelia, that was a beautiful post. I have a lump in my throat and goosebumps now. The roads we need to travel to enlightenment are mysterious indeed. May your transition be blessed.

Sunflower

Odelia and Sa2UK2OZ, bravo both of you. What excellent posts. We also arrived in Aus via the UK (7 years over there) and have settled straight into Aussie life without a hiccup, also I believe because we made our move long ago, got over all the trauma and tears, did the hard yards and now not only know what to expect, but have arrived in a country which is much more like the SA we remember from years ago than the one that exists now. We could never ever go back to SA. We would just not adapt at all now, however had it not been for the fact that we were financially in absolutely no position to even contemplate returning to SA (we couldn't even afford to fly back to visit, let alone move back! ;) ) for at least the first 5 years, we would have probably returned as well, only because of homesickness. I had such bad nightmares at one stage that I was almost afraid to go to bed - not scary ones, but idealistic, homesick ones, which made me wake up screaming with the actual physical pain of my heartbreak at missing my family and that stubborn African soil... :( I know I sound a bit dramatic, but just thinking about it is really had for me. When my brother and his wife had their firsy child I almost died with grief that I could not be there with them. I don't know what I'm trying to say actually, just that it is REALLY hard to leave everything and everyone you know and love behind and maybe that you should leave yourself no choices. I always think if you leave the back door open, you will use it...

It was almost "easier" years back when people left SA with almost nothing and had no choice but to take what they get, a bit like refugees. Now, I see so many South Africans coming over with heaps of money and leaving an unrealistically luxurious and comfortable life behind, which just seems to be a recipe for failure in a lot of cases :ilikeit:

Edited by Annette

It's rather interesting having kids.

I watched my son, now 24, get his driving licence when he was 16 and witnessed the progression he's been through over time.

He started off with an old blue Datsun ute, went thro the "red sports car, mobile phone to his ear + blond girlfriend in the front seat alongside" stage, the V8 stage, the really high 4WD stage, etc. etc.

He must have bought and sold about 10 cars in 7 years.

He now cruises around in a 12 year old Ford that is pretty regular stuff.

I could have told him to save his money, stop spending it all on cars, etc. etc. but I just let him go thro all the various stages of transport that his pocket could afford and relaxed.

He's now come out the other end as a fairly regular Australian driver. He's even thinking of selling his 1 000 cc Honda m/bike that only does close to 300 km/hr!

After all these stages, he'll probably be content, in years to come, to get a family wagon and 250cc motor bike for the weekends.

We all go thro "stages"

We mature at different rates and experience life differently.

The point I'm trying to make is . . Don't beat yourselves up too much if you want to do anything.

If you simply have to go back, do so.

Find out if leaving South Africa was the right or wrong thing to do in your lives.

If the novelty wears off and you find that you'd be looking at Sth Africa with rose coloured glasses on all the time, then find that out for yourself.

Australia won't go away . . . . . you can always come back.

It's better to go thro a particular 'stage' and find out if it really suits or whether it was all a mind game (trick) that you were playing on yourself but doesn't stack up in the cold light of day living back in South Africa.

We want happy migrants in Australia.

Find out, for sure, what will really make you happy.

If it means going back to daily life in South Africa, then check it out to see if you become happy living there again, or whether Australia has a better lifestyle after all.

"Better to have loved, and lost, than never having loved at all"

Hi All

My first post on the forum, even though I've been reading a lot so I feel like one of the old hands.

This string is really sobering for a lot of us, especially the ones from Odelia and SA2UK2OZ.

A question: How long do you experienced campaigners think one should give yourself before making a decision to stay or go back to SA?

I think one must face reality before one actually goes, and understand that things will be different and difficult. But I feel for RSA-Klong and his family and all the others, especially those who are hanging in there and trying to grind it out. A lot of good advice about adopting and embracing your new home country to try and make things easier. Thanks for a great forum, we really learn a lot from what is shared here.

Edited by Kwaaito

Guest Bronwyn

Hey Kwaaito - The day I know, I will let you know. :ilikeit: 11 months & counting.

Actually, that's not true. I already know I don't want to go back to SA. I will never live there again, if I can possibly help it. It's just a bit hard sometimes.

Edited by Bronwyn

Having read all about everybody's experiences and then getting to Kwaaito's question of how long? I have news for you, I have been gone 14 years and sometimes I still feel like sitting in a corner and just crying my heart out!

HOWEVER.......there is absolutely nothing that will ever make me return to live in SA.....my life here is far to free for me to give it up and go back to sit in a jail of my own making!

The opportunities we have all enjoyed, that is my husband and I and both our adult sons, are just too many to mention!

Another thing I have to stress though, your mindset has to be right, you must almost burn all your bridges behind you, so that you only have one option and that is to make a go of it! It is tough, but you can do it!

A question: How long do you experienced campaigners think one should give yourself before making a decision to stay or go back to SA?

Kwaaito, it's a bit different for every person, but I personally always feel that you decide to stay even before you've left SA, otherwise you will probably go back... :ilikeit:

However, 2 years seems to be the norm for starting to feel settled and the beginnings of feeling more like an Aussie than a Saffer (that's if you make the effort and integrate as much as you can from the word go). I wouldn't make any lifechanging decisions before then, there are too many unstable emotions involved then....

RSA KLONG.

Gister wou ek n stukkie vir jou gee om saam met jul te dra en het dit toe gelos.Wou eers seker maak dit is die regte een.Dit is n pragtige stuk.

Die Here het my gestuur

om die wat moedeloos is,

op te beur,om aan te kondig

dat die dag gekom het dat Hy

eer gee in plaas van smart,

blydskap in plaas van hartseer.

Jesaja 61:1-3

Sterkte met jul moelike besluit.Jul is in ons gebede.

Groete

Albert en Ursula.

Edited by Allie&Urs

Kwaaito,

I agree with Annette.. 2 years to feel settled. It seems long.. but just like everything else - Time Flies!!

Sw

2 years seems like such a long time. We have been here for 6 months and many days are filled with tears. My hubby has settled and has adapted to the Ozzie lifestyle with such ease. I am complettely different but after reading these posts I have realised that it is definitely not South Africa I miss but the special friends and family I had there. We will be going back around May next year for a short while to tie up the last things. I am looking forward to that visit to finally put my mind at rest and ease that moving was a good thing for us. I was so unsettled until reading this thread that I was starting to resent the sound of an Australian accent. Thanks to all who have had their in put. I can now open my eyes and start appreciating what we have on this very big and sometimes lonely island.

Jacqui

I agree that two years seems a long time, but if I think back we first started the process of moving in October 2005 - Two years ago! There's a synchronicity there; I guess if we could survive the last two years then we'll make it through the next two.

Thanks to everyone for this thread

Cindylou

(Departure date 13/11/07)

About a year and a half after we got here (Oz) there was a chance that we had to go back to SA, it was then that I sat down and really thought about everything I was going to miss about Aus.

I realised that I would miss more in Aus after just 1.5 years than I miss after a lifetime in SA.

Maybe when the longing starts creeping up, make a list of everything you miss about SA and everything you would miss about Aus if you had to leave. It won't be surprising to see the SA list just filled with friends and family names but the Aus list with so much more than just names of people.

Good luck to all of you and the daily decisions you have to make ;)

Lindy-Lee

:)

Immigrasie is ‘n moeilike ding en geen twee mense beleef dit dieselfde nie, wat ook duidelik in hierdie gesprek voorkom.

Neem byvoorbeeld ons as gesin se ondervinding die afgelope 6 jaar en ‘n bietjie….

Ons het Maart 2001 na NZ vertrek, vol boeke en internet kennis en het ‘n blink nuwe uitdaging voor ons uitgestrek gesien. Die meeste mense waarmee ons kontak gehad het in NZ, ek moet einlik almal sê, se terugvoer, was “maanskyn en rose”

Soos meeste immigrante was die geldjies maar skraps… ons het altwee vir die staat in SA gewerk en deeltyds geswot, so alle ekstra geld was in ons studies in, sodat ons maar met die minimum in NZ aangekom het. Ek was redelik konserwatief met die spandering van ons rande…Gelukkig het my vrou dadelik werk gekry, maar my aksent was bietjie te swaar in die begin om ‘n werk in my rigting los te slaan, of in die geval, in enige geskoolde rigting… Hier het my probleme begin. Dae voor die rekenaar gesit en “Job-search” gedoen, nie uitgekom en met ander mense in aanraking gekom nie, totaal grys geraak, nie net was die weer grys nie, maar my gemoed ook…my “liewe ribbebeen” het my male sonder tal voor die rekenaar kom kry, waar ek snot en trane gegrens het….maar daar was nie geld om terug te gaan nie, so ons het vasgebyt. Sy en die kinders was dol gelukkig en het die vryheid geniet. Ek was grys van depressie…was so homesick, dat dit moeilik was om met my huis te hou. Dis net ‘n genade dat ek geseënd is met ‘n goeie vrou en pragtige kinders…

So het die jare aangestap, dit het finansieël beter gegaan, so by so dat ons ook ‘n huissie later kon koop, het burgerskap gekry…..maar die weer, ai die weer het my steeds naar gehad, as ek die oggend opstaan en by die venster uitkyk en dis bewolk of reën, dan het ek sommer weer terug in die bed geklim en het ek ‘n bek@kingsgemoed gehad,,,,die het vir amper 7 maande van die jaar aangehou, as die son skyn was ek die ene smiles, maar andersins het almal uit my pad gebly…

My groot probleem…ek het nie aangepas nie, en nooit gevoel dat ek wil bly nie. Verder het dit ook nie gehelp dat familie en vriende aanhoudend gesê het ons moet terugkom nie. So toe ons burgerskap het, het ek my tasse gepak en is terug SA toe, die res van die gesin het teensinnig saamgegaan …..Wat ‘n totale skok.!!!! In 5 jaar het dinge so verander dat ons nie kon aanpas nie…en het na 3 maande besef dat ons ‘n verkeerde besluit geneem het, maar het gehoop dat dinge beter gaan word, ons moet dit net ‘n tydjie gee, so het ons nie een gewerk nie, want baie het ons gesien as verraaiers, en dan was ek ongelukkig bo 40, ‘n man, alhoewel ek soos ‘n muis gevoel het, en dan ook nog pigmenties gestrem…Die grootste eina was toe ek besef het, my homesickness was nie na SA nie, maar na familie en vriende…wat intussen moes aangaan met hulle lewens en moes aanpas om te oorleef in ‘n samelewing, waar geen genade betoon word nie….’n ratrace wat na nêrens gely het…Verder het ek later besef dat ek aan “Winter depressie” gely het…’n gebrek aan sonlig…

Wat my veral gevang het is die baie mans( vrouend ook), my ouderdom en ouer wat noodgedwonge karre moet oppas, en stukkend gebrand word deur die son…dis dieselfde mense wat gedwonge diensplig moes doen om ‘n beter lewe vir SA en sy burgers moes handhaaf en terselle tyd ook te verseker dat hulle in hul oudag in meer gemak en veiligheid kan leef…nou ja almal weet wat die uiteinde van die arme mense gaan wees…

Dus het ons weer totsiens gesê vir die familie, wat baie swaarder was as die eerste keer, want ons het almal besef dis nou finaal. Ons het ons laaste sente in vliegtuig kaartjies belê en sit nou al vir ‘n jaar in Aus,… Ja ek sit steeds sonder werk, het steeds ‘n baie swaar aksent, maar my grootste probleem is dat ek nie “meer toepaslike ondervinding” het nie….het al vir al wat ‘n kursus is ingeskryf en die banksaldo lelik “geplank”, maar papier teen die muur verseker nie ‘n werk nie, wel ondervinding….was al ‘n keer of wat op die kortlys gewees, maar die terugvoer wat ek gekry het, is dat hulle liewer iemand sal aanstel wat vinniger ‘n aanklank “rapport” met hulle kliënte sal kry….. dis niks nie, ons het nog altyd kos gehad om te eet en ek gee nie moed op nie…mens moet maar net die deure druk tot een wat nie gesluit is nie oop maak.

Die kinders het weer ontpop. Is spontaan en hulle oë lag. Dogter was wel nou die dag bietjie in ‘n hinderlaag gelei, maar lyk my sy het nou "hero" status by die skool, want almal wil haar maatjie wees, so daar is ook vir my ‘n les in….Vroulief is gelukkig en is weer haarself…..

Miskien as iemand dalkies baie depresief is oor die nuwe land en omgewing en die druk te veel raak, voel vry om my te PM. Ek het nie al die antwoorde nie, maar ek is deur 3 immigrasies binne 6 jaar, het al swaar gekry en worrie steeds, maar is daardeur en sien lig aan die einde van die tonnel….dit help om soms met iemand te praat, al ken jy nie die persoon nie, maar dinge ook uit jou oogpunt kan sien…

Ek en my vrou het oneindige baat gevind met hierdie forum en ek put steeds baat as ek “knopperig” voel en deur die posts lees….hier is baie mense wat onbaatsigtig is…

Kom ons ondersteun mekaar. Moenie tussen die lyn lees en ons gemoedstoestand op die res van die forum wil afdwing, deur ander forumiete aan te val nie… Onthou wat mens skryf, en wat jy bedoel is heel anders as wat ‘n persoon aan die ander kant lees en verstaan…die geskrewe woord is emosieloos…

Ons het ‘n wenresep hier, kom ons hou dit so

Baie dankie aan al die “onbesingde heroes” van die forum…julle is sterre