visas & employment agencies

antzy

Antoinette,

You obviously are considering your daughter when you turn up at a place in Australia to live, and because you're on your own and not knowing any mates or family that are able to look after your little girl, you'll have to provide for her.

If you work, this means putting her into Child Care.

If you work 38 hours a week . . . . the normal working week in Australia is 38 . . . . then she'll be longer than 38 hours by the time you drop off and pick her up each day you work.

This is going to cost mega bucks.

I've had three kids myself, but haven't had to get them minded now for about 10 years, so my info is out of date, but it's still a nightmare to pay for them.

It's not free.

The Australian gov't does pay some rebate on Child Care costs for working mums, but you'll have to ask how much that is. Things have changed since I last used it in 1995!

Also, as kids grow up they'll want a safe place to play and go to school in.

I can think of some very pleasant suburbs in Adelaide and other cities. Some parts of the really big cities I wouldn't think of letting my kids loose in.

Also, you'll want to start a new life for yourself, at the same time as giving your little girl a new start in life with all the opportunities that can be offered to her. Australia will give that.

You'll need to start thinking about a town house or small two / three bedroomed house for yourself to live in over the next few years.

The best and most economical place I can suggest is Adelaide . . . . . much cheaper than the other cities!

I was walking around Perth last month, strolling thro shopping centres and driving thro the suburbs there and they could have so easily been a shopping centre or a leafy suburb in Adelaide . . . . but in Perth you pay almost double for the privilege of living there.

As a new started in life in Australia, I'd recommend not going to Perth, personally.

Perth has good jobs, nice houses, great beaches, lovely views . . . . . but . . . you pay the Earth.

In Australia, we drive two cars normally . . . . . Holdens and Fords

Holdens and Fords are always trying to clinch the majority of the sales and brag about being the biggest seller of cars that particular year, etc. etc.

Both vehicles are pretty similar in their specs, although you'll still get your die-hard "Holden" bloke, or the true believer in their Ford!

They both are worth about the same.

Now . . . . . IF Holdens suddenly became a lot more expensive than your common ol' Ford, you'd get a lot of Aussies saying why would they spend half as much again just to drive a Holden when a Ford will get them around just as well??

I ask the same about Perth ("Holdens") compared to Adelaide ("Ford")

I'll leave you to think about it.

(just my views, for what they're worth)

Hi Bob,Wilna

That was very informative and has given me lots to think about...actually Adelaide wasn't ever in the equation of decision-making....well, now it is....you've got me"almost sold".

I appreciate the specific info about things to do, lifestyle, cost of living, etc...apart from other places just outside sydney seeming attractive (photo's) I haven't been convince yet...the cost of schooling and general living is frightening there!

I've decided (for now) to go for skilled pr(175) so i will have freedom of choice and also state/gvt benefits to assist with my 3year old...and Yes, i am doing this for her, mainly.

Now that I have a pretty good idea (from studying the internet, emails, etc) of what NSW areas are like, could you guys let me know a bit more about Adelaide...climate, good suburbs(areas) and then I'll need names of Hospitals and/or RAdiology practices in Adelaide.

I am a radiographer.

antz

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Antzy

Here is Radiology SA's website:-

http://radiologysa.com.au/staff.html

Jones & Partners is another big one here in Adelaide.

http://www.drjones.com.au/

or Benson Radiology

http://www.bensonradiology.com.au/

I-Med :ilikeit:

http://www.i-med.com.au/index.php?option=c...id=34&Itemid=84

And for good measure the Medical Association of South Australia

http://www.amasa.org.au/

Propaganda, I know, but happy hunting! Let me know how you go? :P

Bronwyn

PS I met an Afrikaans radiologist a few months ago at a function here but I can't remember his name... maybe you will come across him.

Guest Bronwyn

Hi again Antzy

I just thought I would add something. Bob's right that childcare is not free. Actual school fees are (just about) free, but aftercare and childcare (creche) will cost you quite a bit. If you have PR and you are a single parent there are various rebates though. You can probably get a lot of info/detail off the Centrelink website. I didn't realise your daughter was only 3, sorry!

Another thing I thought to add - it probably takes 2 hours to drive from one side of Adelaide to the other, not 1.

If you go to the search keywords function in the beginning of the forum and type in 'Adelaide' you will pick up lots of info, and save yourself some legwork.

Have a great day, Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

Thanks for everyone's input...Adelaide really sounds like a great place to start, but I've also had a chance to look at a few places in QLD and have been very impressed with Mackay...I'm actually scouting 2 positions there at the moment (thanks mike!!!!) and another agent is setting up a few more interviews for next week. This is very exciting....just as i decided to go PR online...

Anyone else from that area?

I still dont know whether medicals for 457 & 175 can be done in one or need to be repeated....anyone know the answer to this?

have a fab weekend....

antz

health checks, personality checks, police checks, work record, etc.

Thank goodness I didnt have to undergo any personality checks as I may still have been in RSA if I did :)

My PR took 18 months almost to the day but I am glad I did it that way. I still arranged a job before I got here plus I have all the benefits that PR entails.

Thank goodness I didnt have to undergo any personality checks as I may still have been in RSA if I did ;)

My PR took 18 months almost to the day but I am glad I did it that way. I still arranged a job before I got here plus I have all the benefits that PR entails.

Hi Duane W

So you've just landed? That's fab! I'm not sure about the personality test either...more likely to be certificate of good character(like a referance letter from someone who knows you).

antz

I still dont know whether medicals for 457 & 175 can be done in one or need to be repeated....anyone know the answer to this?

have a fab weekend....

antz

I will do some asking. I thought there was no medical on 457. I know it is a must do when you convert, and IELTS test.

The medical is more expensive here, but the IELTS is faster and there is preperation material for those that feel they need it. Sent a response about your questions

regards

Mike

No where does it state that the medical is valid a certain period, just the IELTS is valid for 2years. So i would assume the IELTS doesnt have to be repeated.

I"m not worried about english test, its my home language, course was done in english too. it just seems a waste to repeat medical when they are so expensive (+-R2000) in SA.

Further question: Private Health Insurance - what are my options and what is the average cost for myself and daughter? I need to have this before i start working for QH.

thanks

antz