Coping without my Dogs

Ester

Hi this is a very difficult Quarentine period will be 7 months ........will she survive?????

Hi Ester,

This is a heart-breaking decision to make.

We couldn't afford to bring Marmite our black lab with us. And we loved her like crazy.

I was very concerned about the time she was going to spend in quarantine too.

At the end of the day, we decided to leave her behind.

We were very lucky in that some good friends of ours took her, and we still get pics of her.

We miss her so much.

But I do think 7 months is a very long time, and really not fair on the dog. We can't explain to them why it is happening.

Of course they do survive as many members here will tell you.

This is a very personal decision which only you can make.

Good luck

Hi Ester

I agree that it is a personal thing and that we all have to deside this way or that. You know your animal and only you will know if the 7 months is doable.

A lot of forumites have sent their animals over and a lot have rehomed their animals.

I decided that it would be selfish of me to do the 7 month thing to my "boys" and got them a very very good home in Seychelles. The were both Toypoms and the one weighed only 1.5 kg's, he also had very bad eye sight. I miss them every day!!! But they are doing well and that is all good.

It is said that animals don't realy have a consept of time and that a day or a month feels the same. Don't know how correct this is but that is what is said.

So if your doggies are hardy enough to make the trip and do the time and if you can afford it, send them over!

Lovies

Nilo

Hi Ester

As one of the forumites who brought her precious babies over.... IT WAS WORTH IT!

They are happy and healthy. In fact they put on some much needed weight in quarantine.

This is a tough decision and only you will know if they will manage it. The quarantine stations look after them and the time flies.

Good luck

Gaille

Hi Ester,

I have the same problem, we have Pugs, and they are my children.

Because of the snub nose policy, the only airline that will fly them is SAA and only to Perth, we are going to Sydney, so we must arrange pet transport from Perth to Sydney at an extra cost.

I don't know it I can do that to them.

It is must upsetting. - I will proberbly have to leave them behind. We have'nt even got a flight booked yet I already cry every night when I put them to bed.

Good luck

Lynettej

We found very small quarantine kennel in Pretoria, it was superb we were able to visit as often and as long as we liked and the time there went well, thenext step was Sydney visiting was difficult as they had fixed hours and hard to get of work etc but finally the big day came and our Daschund and Rotweiler were released into our custody and were none the worse for wear, it was worth it.

Good luck

Des

Hi Ester,

Because of the snub nose policy, the only airline that will fly them is SAA and only to Perth, we are going to Sydney, so we must arrange pet transport from Perth to Sydney at an extra cost.

It is must upsetting. - I will proberbly have to leave them behind. We have'nt even got a flight booked yet I already cry every night when I put them to bed.

Good luck

Lynettej

Hi Lynette

does this snub nose policy only apply to unaccompanied dogs? We flew from Sydney to Perth with our Rotweiler and Daschund (obviously not snub nosed) they came along as excess baggage were on same flight as us it was straightforward and cost us relativly small amount less than 15% of an adults ticket for both dogs, It would be worth investigating.

Good luck

Des

Another forum member that has brought over her two babies, and I don't regret the decision. In two weeks, they will be home with me in Aus for 12 months already.

They do survive quarantine and is not as bad as everyone makes of it. Please speak to the members like myself, The Parsons Family & Allie&Urs to get an idea of what we (including our pets) went through.

The ones that struggle with the 7 months quarantine are the owners, not the dogs. So if you dogs are like family and you can afford it, by all means go for it.

Have a search on the forum for posts on quarantine by myself and the other two members. You will find great stories that we shared while they were in quarantine and the AWESOME reunions thereafter.

Cheers & good luck

Hi Ester,

Good luck

Lynettej

http://www.animaltransport.com.au/

We did not get to make the descision. We had a staffie pair that loved each others company ( a bit unussual for for Staffies). The male disappeared and we searched for a few months (they were both tagged with chips). The female was riddled with tumours and was struggleing to walk at 15 years old. I still wonder where the male went 4 years ago.

When I was at school we took a dog from peole who were migrating. It was quite weird how it happened. Our Keeshond bit a lady who was campaigning votes to get her husband elected as mayor. She found a farmer who wanted an aggresive dog, and she found a homew for the labrador. The dog settled in almost immediately and lived to a ripe old age.

I dont think animals suffer like owner do. They move on to the next best thing quite easily. I do think they remeber becuase after kenneling pets for a few weks they really get exited when you return

As I said in my reply before it is a very personal thing.

People that deside not to bring their animals over are deffinitely not horrible un feeling ogres!

It is one of those things where you have to weigh up the pro's and con's! Not for YOU but for the Animals. At the end of the day it is not what is best for you but what is best for your babies. It is very emotional and very difficult to make this choice.

As far as I know most of the doggies brought over have been bigger breeds. Are there any forumites who brought over doggies under 5kg please give us their take on things.

I know Liezel brought her cats over and they did fine but they also didn't need to do a 7 month stint I think it was much shorter.

My problem was that my doggies had to have tests done but that it could not be done in Seychelles but in SA at Onderstepoort. The serum is seen as a bio hazard and one had to basically find someone to "smuggle" it in, still frozen, and take it to the other side of Pretoria. i think this process had to be repeated 3 times at various intervals before importation. That as well as their size.

NOW......

I travelled with a doggie smaller than 5 kg from SA to Seychelles.

We had to deliver her at the airport 5 hours before departure.

Because I was qualified I could tranqualize her then, the fear in that little face even after I gave her the medicine was heart breaking. (it was a very noisy area where she had to wait for the boarding) The tranqualizer only works for 3 to 5 hours.

I knew the agent for Air Seychelles and she allowed me to go to the doggie on the apron at the airoplane,I could give her a teaspoon of water and some more tranqalizer before the flight! (too much water and she might have vomited) She was very stressed.

I was petrified that she was ok when we landed in Seychelles, so managed to get to see her before her being taken to cargo. I was careful for her not to see me.

We got to cargo about an hour after landing. There I phoned the vet who came to check het out, while waiting for him a forklift was driving up and down making horrible noise and we could not go to the pup, not even to calm her down! And I had a lot of clout!!!!! They would not allow it!

The vet luckily came soon and we took her of to get settled in Quarantine for 2 weeks. In Seychelles the owner has to feed the animal so I visited her every day twice a day sometimes even more! I could get the key where they kept it as our SSPCA office and theatre was in the same building and I worked with these people on a daily basis.

For the first day or so she was very constipated because of the dehidration. (had practically nothing to drink for about 12 hrs whith the flight and the time before tranqalizing)

That two weeks was reduced to 9 days because I knew the powers that be! It was not a good experience for the owner or the animal. Sorry guys!!!

You now know why I am iffy about importing animals. All you see is the end result and not what your babies go thru to get there!

The people at cargo have work to do and they have to work at great speed. My husband has just finished a stint at the Airport (domestic) and the animals in their cages are kept where the luggage are handled. Definitely not a peaceful environment! I'm sorry nobody will look after your animal children as well as you do! To them it's just a job!

It's like when you buy meat or chicken at the supermarket, you don't think of the gruesome process before it's packed, for your consumption!

Hi Nilo

Ek sou sê jou experience is 'n uitsonderlike geval. Ons boks wat altwee van ons s'n gehad het, was 'n moerse fancy boks. Ek's seker die import van diere in Seychelles is nie so streng soos die in Aus nie. Dit het 'n built in water bowl, eintlik twee, so hulle is nooit sonder water nie. Weet nie hoekom joune so bad experience gehad het nie.

Dalk moet jy gesels met TheParsonsFamily, hulle het klein Jack Russels en weeg ook nie baie nie, maar het die hele proses gemaak.

Maar soos jy sê elkeen het sy eie experience, maar sover die wat al hulle honder oor gebring het Aus toe, het niemand nog issues gehad nie. En daar is duisende honde en katte wat al die kwarentyn proses al gedoen het van SA na Aus, so dis nie so bad soos wat party dink nie.

Hi There

My 2 babies are in quarentine at the moment. You are welcome to make an appointment with keringa and go and see my 2 for yourself. They picked up weight, have shiny eyes, clean ears ( basset hounds ears get smelly if not cleaned ) a beatiful shiny thick coat. They are playfull and all signs indicate that they are happy. My hair is falling out from stress, I lost some weight,my eyes are thick and red, my nose are running all from worry and stress! I am the one suffering....They are not! Mine has been in quarentine for 128 days. They will be flying to oz on the 29th of November. You can go and whatch them being loaded as well if you want to. I am very greatfull that we are bringing them with. I had to leave evetry one and everything I love behind. At least knowing that something special is coming back to me is wonderful!. My husband is still in SA and he went to visit them. They recognise him and Dexter started barking when he heard my voice over the phone... I started crying...

That is my story. My 2 are still very young. (one and 2 years old). They are together. And they love each other so much. That was some of the things I considered when I made my choice. It is very expensive in rands as well as in dollars, but for me it is what keeps me going when times are tough. I know they are coming back and that will be the day my life is back to normal.

Ek hoor wat jy se en ek weet dat daar baie baie diere Aussie toe gekom het en die hele prosess survive het.

Die vervoer van diere is wereld wyd so te se dieselfde. Die reels vir die vervoer kennels ens ens is oral dieselfde na gelang van die grote van die dier. Ek is 'n over the top animal lover en ons by die SSPCA het 'n baie groot invloed gehad met die vervoer van diere! Net vir die rekord dit was nie my hondjie wat ek vergesel het Seychelles toe nie.

Aangaande die water. Die diere word almal 'n susmiddel gegee, om die te gee mag hulle nie water voor die tyd drink nie (miskien bietjie maar baie min) anders bring hulle op en dan kan hulle dit "asperate" en of versmoor of long infeksie kry. Ja daar is waterbakke maar vertel jy my nou of jy dink die water gaan in die bakke bly? 'n Vliegtuig styg op met 'n hengse spoed en land net so hard. Inbetween is daar niemand wat die waterbakke weer vol maak nie! Hulle vlieg in die cargo hold, op 'n spesiale plek en die kaptein van die vliegtuig word verwittig van die diere in transit sodat die cargo hold warmer gemaak word. Dit kan vries koud word daar onder.

Ek probeer niemand se "mind change nie" ek probeer net die realiteit vertel.

Was jy daar toe jou honde op en af gelaai is? Het jy hulle geclear?

Sorrie borrie ek was in Animal Welfare en weet wat gaan aan!

Honde wat in Kennels in quaranteen gehou word se kennels word met water en chemicals uitgespuit. Die mense wat dit doen is al goed ge"desensitize" en hulle haal nie eers altyd die diere uit die hokke voor dit skoongemaak word nie!

Any way sela!

Dis nog steeds 'n baie persoonlike besluit!

Guest fishermanswife

Hi there :ilikeit:

I had two dogs which were nearing 10 years old. A Rotti and a lab cross. I had a chat to my vet who said they would never have survived quarentine. :magic::blink: We decided to put them to sleep. I still cry about the fact that I did this however we had no alternative as the SPCA said they could not rehome them because of their age. I miss them so much and long to cuddle them again, I am still heartbroken but know I had no other choice. I was not there with them at the time because I could not even say goodbye without me and my kids howling.

If I had younger animals I wouldve brought them with. I have decided not to get a pet for a while.

Anyway it is a personal choice and they are like part of the family.

I had a 10 year old brindle bull terrier who was spoiled rotten!! He slept indoors on his own bed, with his own duvet! This alone should tell you he was treated like a human being.

We discussed the situation with our vet who knew our dog from when he was a puppy. The vet's recommentation was to rather put him to sleep. This was a terrible thing for me to have to do!!!!

Bull terriers are one owner dogs and they don't like other animals either. Most people don't understand bull terriers and they neglect them due to this.

I thought lots and lots about giving the dog to someone who would care for him the way we did and also about putting him to sleep. We decided to put him to sleep. My decision was based on the fact that I would rather know where he is (asleep) than give him to someone who might not look after him that well and I would be sitting on the other side of the world always wondering if he is well looked after.

Even now, after almost 8 years, I still cry about my dog!

If your dogs are not too old and you can afford to bring them, then do it!!

SAS

I had a 10 year old brindle bull terrier who was spoiled rotten!! He slept indoors on his own bed, with his own duvet! This alone should tell you he was treated like a human being.

We discussed the situation with our vet who knew our dog from when he was a puppy. The vet's recommentation was to rather put him to sleep. This was a terrible thing for me to have to do!!!!

Bull terriers are one owner dogs and they don't like other animals either. Most people don't understand bull terriers and they neglect them due to this.

I thought lots and lots about giving the dog to someone who would care for him the way we did and also about putting him to sleep. We decided to put him to sleep. My decision was based on the fact that I would rather know where he is (asleep) than give him to someone who might not look after him that well and I would be sitting on the other side of the world always wondering if he is well looked after.

Even now, after almost 8 years, I still cry about my dog!

If your dogs are not too old and you can afford to bring them, then do it!!

SAS

Dearest SAS.

That must have been a very difficult choice. SHame. It must have been traumatic.

I had to put LeeLoo's mom (DeeDEE) to sleep. She was only one and a half year old. She gave birth to 4 pups and LeeLoo ( LeeLoo believe she is human and will be very offended if I say she was a pup) and started getting eppileptic attacks. VERY TRAUMATIC. I started her on medication, but within 24 hours she had a seizure and was braindead. I had to put her to sleep because she was alive but not responding. Vet told me she would die of thirst and hunger if I dont do it. Only her heart was beating.

I was left with 5 pups who needed a bottle every 2 hours. Dexter took over. He kept them warm, cleaned them carried them outside He was a real mommy! (yes he is gay).I felt so guilty. Why did I breed with her. Why didnt I steralised her. Why didnt I picked up the signs...I am still not over it! LeeLoo filled the emptiness after DeeDee's death but I still miss her, think of her and still feel guilty. It is as if you loose a very dear friend and blame yourself.

I just wanted to tell you I understand I believe you did the right thing.

Love H

Edited by henriette.rossouw

I just wanted to tell you I understand I believe you did the right thing.
Thanks Henriette! I understand it must have been difficult for you too with DeeDee.

SAS

Ek het my drie honde kinders ook oor gebring en al daai goed het ook deur my kop gegaan.Nilo ek het ook aan al die goed gedink wat jy nou genoem het en al 's ook so aan my man oorgedra.Hy het gese ok se nou dit is so;wil jy hul dan eerder los en dalk dood treur of nog steeds bring.Dit was die ergste tyd van my lewe en het hard gebid vir n antwoord en om net vrede in my hart te kry.Tyd het aangestap en moes besluit kom of bly.Ek het gese as my kinders nie kan kom nie kom ek ook nie.Ek het net gedink jammer as jul die dinge moet deurgaan maar aan die einde van die dag is jul weer by my.Wel die 7 maande het gevlieg en niemand kan glo hul lyk so mooi en goed na kwarentyn nie.Ek is nou nie n dag spyt nie en weet ek het die regte besluit geneem.Terwyl ek hier tik le my een jarige worsie hoekal altyd hier in my arme terwyl ek sukkel om te tik.Hy cuddle hier in my in en ai dis soo lekker.Dan weet ek ek sal dit weer oordoen net om hul nou so by my te kan he!Ester sterkte en glo my dis hartverskeurend ek weet maar jy gaan smile :ilikeit: na als verby is.Jy is in my gebede!

Sterkte en hou net moed en wees sterk!

Groete Ursula.

Edited by Allie&Urs

SAS

I can imagine how hard it must have been for you to put your "little" guy to sleep, they become such an integral part of your family almost immediately. But I do think it was the right decision especially considering their nature and his age.

Ester

This a decision only you can make...listen to everyone's stories and weigh up the pros and cons, whatever decision you make will be the right one for you and your beloved babies.

Good luck

Gaille

Hi Ester,

Good luck

Lynettej

Lynette

Weet jy ek het oor en oor daaroor gedink en noudat ek finaal besluit het om vir Lulu my dogtertjie oor te bring en my man ondersteun my in alles opsigte weet ek net ek kani wag dat sy hier moet aankom nie. Ek kry baie teenkanting van my familie in SA. Hulle kyk op die oomblik na haar. Sy is maar 4 jaar oud en ek weet dat ons weer bymekaar gaan wees. As jy besluit om dit nie te doen nie Lynette gaan jy soos ek elke aand huil in die nuwe land, ek het nogi opgehou huil vandat ons hier aangekom het nie. En noudat ek weet sy kom gaan elke dag bietjie beter, sy is deel van my sonder haar is ek half en geen geld kan dit ooit verander nie.

Dankie vir almal se wonderlik ondersteuning sal julle op hoogte hou

Hi all,

My man se ons moet die geld hou towards die huis maar hoe kan ek my vlooi vir 'n huis verruil?

Dankie almal

My man se ons moet die geld hou towards 'n huis maar hoe kan ek my "vlooi" vir 'n huis verruil?

Dis nie reg nie.

Ek sal maar huil en hard Bid vir 'n antwoord.

Elize ek is bly jy het die besluit self gemaak :ilikeit: na ALMLAL probeer raad gee en probeer help het.Dit gee n mens meer insig oor wat om te doen en te besluit. Lynette weet jy ek is so jammer vir jou regtig.My hart gaan uit na jou.Sterkte met jul besluit.Jou woef is te ougat.

Groete Ursula.

This is an extremely difficult decision to make, and its a bit like deciding to emigrate: once you've made your decision you need to stick with it and "buy into it". I can only tell you about my decision, and why I think it was right for us!

We've just been to Keringa to visit our two dogs (mini dachshunds) and three cats (DSH) They've been there since 15/08 and are well settled. Our dachshunds are both 10 years old and are both active, although the male is epileptic. Little dogs do have a longer life expectancy, about 15, compared to larger dogs so they're not technically old. Our vet was not at all concerned about the quarantine and advised us that we would suffer more than the animals.

We visit every Friday afternoon and they all appear to be in good health and spirits. When Colin comes into the dog run they leave us and run over to great him! What more could we ask for? The cats took a few weeks to settle down, but are now quite comfortable and relaxed. I do worry about what will happen while we are in Aus and they are still here, but we opted to keep them in SA as long as possible as the facilities are better.

Each person has to decide what's right for their pets. We made an informed decision to take our pets with us, so far I believe it's the correct decision for us. (I've posted some pics of the dogs in quarantine on Facebook if you'd like to have a look! Took the camera again today and the batteries were flat, so still no photos of the cats!)

Good luck with your decision!

C'Lou

We visit every Friday afternoon and they all appear to be in good health and spirits. When Colin comes into the dog run they leave us and run over to great him! What more could we ask for? The cats took a few weeks to settle down, but are now quite comfortable and relaxed. I do worry about what will happen while we are in Aus and they are still here, but we opted to keep them in SA as long as possible as the facilities are better.

thanks Cindy Lou I was just going to ask if anyone had put their cats through quarantine and before I have even asked it you have answered. Are your kids in Keringa?

Hi

Ek het ook al so gewonder wat om te doen met ons twee honde. Ons het vir Sasha sy's 10 en Milo hy's 4 en 'n half. Ons is baaaaaie erg oor hulle. Dis nou al moeilik om vakansie te gaan hou en reelings te tref dat hulle versorg is en te weeeet dat hulle reg is en dan jou vakansie te kan geniet.

Ek het Sasha een keer in 'n kennel gehad vir 'n week toe ek niemand kon kry om na haar te kyk nie en ek het lang trane gehuil en my allerhande dinge in gedink oor hoe sleg dit vir haar moet wees. Ek het niks van die kennel gehou nie en sy het met kennelcough daar uit gekom. Maar nou moet ek ook se - ek was daarna by beter kennels (net gaan inloer) en die mense van 'n kennel maak 'n grooot verskil. Hulle se ook dat 'n dier wat so 'n kort rukkie inbly nie tyd het om aan te pas nie.

Iemand het iewers gese dat daar gese word dat diere nie 'n begrip het van tyd nie, wel hiermee wil ek regtig verskil. Sasha is 'n baie slim en baie mooi hond en sy weet presies wanneer dit maandag en wanneer dit donderdag is. My bediende kom maandae en elke tweede donderdag en dan kom vertel sy vir my sy wil inkom, want sy en die bediende sit nie rondom dieselfde vuur nie. Sy weet ook (hoe weet ek nie) dat as ek die telefoon lui en iets se - dan beteken dit daar is iemand by die kompleks se hek en ek maak nou oop. Ek glo dat as ek ooit haar woordeskat moet toets sal sy regtig 'n goeie begrips kennis he. (nie verniet 'n spraakterapeut nie) ;)

Ek hoop met my hele hart hulle kan saam - sal maar sien

liefde groete

aniena

Edited by aniena