Arriving (and surviving!) 4 weeks in Aus/Alice Springs

Tracy

Hi Bob,

You've mentioned all the spots we're going to visit and camp at up at Ningaloo.

We'll watch out for the cyclones - hey, after all the drama I went through to get here a cyclone would be really unfair of The Gods!! :huh:

And so far my round trip is going to take 7000kms - 13 days travelling.

Big? This place is massive!

Tracy

You'll have the odd weekend full just going out to Glen Helen Gorge or King's Canyon near to where you are.

Those spots are some of the best I saw on my trip.

The feeling I get in camping and holidaying in central Australia is one of the place being timeless.

Australia is Earth's oldest continent. Its geology is well worn and old.

You can stand on a ridge top in the Territory and feel that the view has been the same for millions of years.

It's rather sobering to feel yourself only a few years old in comparison.

Gazing up at the stars at night over a campfire makes you feel you are getting a darn sight more than a 5 star restaurant can offer!

Have fun in your 4WD, but first get to know the safety aspects of that part of Australia.

Don't go far on a trip alone. Go with a group or another 4WD.

ALWAYS take at least a litre of water with you. If you get stuck some place, it will keep you going until help arrives.

In sand, let your tyre pressures down to around 18 / 20 psi to get you through it.

On dirt roads, keep your tyres around 25 psi, or your car and suspension will feel every bump in the dirt road! . . . . not pleasant if you're doing more than a few kms off road.

Enjoy!

. . . I just wonder WHY there are so many flies in OZ.

Now, I'm no etymologist, and I don't know anything about insects either, but supposedly it is all to do with ... dung beetles.

Prior to the arrival of Europeans just over two hundred years ago, there were not many flies in Australia because the dry dung produced by kangaroos and other native animals is not very suitable for fly breeding. Then cattle were introduced, and it turned out that no dung beetles had evolved in Australia that could cope with all the bovine waste. Which meant that the flies could have a field day in the fields.

Years ago the problem was a lot worse, but various types of foreign dung beetles that know what to do with cattle dung have been introduced.

There is a whole book about this at:

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html

PLEASE would the next Saffer into Aus hide a buch of dung beetles in their container?

We'll take a collection to bail them out if they're caught!

Thanks for that!

I stand to be corrected, but i remember a documentary from the early 90's that dealt with dung beetles from Africa, that were introduced into Australia to try and curb the fly problem.

I wonder what the success rate was, if any?

Dax

You either learn to get used to flies in your face (my wife can't stand looking at me in the bush with the flies), or you spray with Aeroguard about every hour or so . . . the little pump packs are the best, I've found . . . or you wear a net.

You could try wearing a wide brimmed hat with little corks on the end of a string . . . . that the old swagmen used to do years ago in Australia's bush.

You've got to remember that the Aborigine is basically a nomadic people closest to the Bushmen in the Kalahari.

There aren't too many water holes where they come from and washing / showering every day is definitely one of life's luxuries that will have to go in the dry times of the year.

They aren't used to having a shower down the hallway, nor a laundry with a washing machine in it with power on right out in the bush, so if they come to town and smell bad, that is how you will find the Aborigine in the bush.

When we crossed the Simpson Desert a few months ago, we were pretty sticky after only a week!

They've survived 40 000 years living like that around that area, so us coming along in the past 50 years won't change them that quickly.

It will all take time . . . . and a lot of encouragement!

• Like 1

I loved your post. It is inspiring to hear the good stories when I've heard so many negatives. I was sorry when I got to the last paragraph!

I get really excited when I read posts like yours. I just want to fast - forward to when we finally get to leave here.

My brother and family will be in New Zealand before the end of the year. My family is taking it very hard. (Especially my father - isn't this strange) I dread having to tell him that we are also leaving some day. It makes it easier that my younger sister has also started her application process for auz. I'll let her break the news first! (I'm a coward that way) :D

Good luck and enjoy!