Arriving (and surviving!) 4 weeks in Aus/Alice Springs

Tracy

After so many weeks of living like squatters and not knowing what would happen with our visa, once it came through, the last few days went very quickly.

We had managed to say goodbyes to everyone except my dad, and somehow it didn’t feel like we not going to see our friends and support network for a long time; it just didn’t seem like it was finally happening.

The final goodbye was not pleasant and I don’t ever want to have to go through that again. I know my dad didn’t take it very well either, and after 14 months of being focused on getting to Aus, I suddenly didn’t want to go.

He has had to learn to read emails and phone calls make things much easier; the world is really a small place in terms of communication.

Our final nightmare was that TNT’s vehicle had an accident at 3am somewhere near Harrismith and all contents were strewn over the N3; you can imagine the images going through my mind…my long awaited visa sticker ripped to shreds or burnt in my passport!!! We finally got the passports about 5 hours late but in tact – and now here in Alice we have no less than 3 TNT vehicles who are ALWAYS near me in town – I’m being haunted!

The weather:

Yup, it’s hot! But very, very dry – no humidity. And that is what makes it bearable so far (summer is still to hit us!) We’ve had 38˚ already (and it’s still Spring!), but it wasn’t unbearable at all. My skin is starting to shrivel it’s so dry here. A piece of bread left out for a few hours will be like toast. Most people have automatic sprinklers in their gardens and water, although we are encouraged to save it, doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem. Elsewhere in Aus it’s at critical levels. They seem to be reluctant to build de-salination/recycling plants. Strange.

Most gardens have big shade nets over them so you can sit outside. There are lots more trees than I imagined as well. Yes, loads of red sand as well!

The town:

You know, as much as you research and Google a place, it’s never quite the same as in real life. We were met by the College secretary and given a tour of the town including Anzac Hill. When I got up there and saw the Australian flag fluttering high up on the pole above me, I have to admit I got a bit weepy. I was finally in Australia.

Alice is a very unique town, and I’m sure there are lots of unique towns in Aus! But here you have lots of transient workers and tourists and there’s always a feeling of “something” going on; tourism is it’s money spinner. There are also lots of “foreign” Aussies here on work contracts so there are lots of different (and interesting!) people to talk to. One thing about life in Aus is that families are very used to either having (mainly) the father working far away and flying home, or the whole family living in different places for different lengths of time. It’s the norm here to change things often.

It took one week to know where everything in Alice and surrounds are – and still no road rage!! Everyone is polite and there is no sense of any big city rush here.

We have everything we need and to have to stay here for 2 years won’t be so bad at all.

There are plenty of things to see/do/learn about here. Camel farm, horse riding, reptile centre, telegraph station (nice picnic area!), exploring on established 4x4 tracks all over the place, sport, pubs, movies, video rental, art galleries, restaurants – you name it.

Cost of things:

In a sentence? I have no idea! Multiplying things by 6 to get an equivalent in Rands nearly gave me an ulcer. I have to buy food so all I do is buy the similar kinds of things to what I bought in SA. I find it an adventure to try new things; so far I have had no need to find an SA products. Good old common sense prevails, I think. Rentals are very expensive here; very few of them and it was a stressful time finding something similar to what we were used to. I’m still getting used to no burglar bars, (their fly screens and bug doors just don’t do it for me!), nothing being locked away, and garages with equipment in them being left open and patio sets wide open to the road. Crime does exist, unfortunately – everywhere, but not the quantity or severity of SA. I find young kids get up to no good easily here and do the grafitti and “hooning” (driving cars like idiots).

I bought myself a 4WD Mazda dual cab (I have to pay it off in the 2 years I have on my visa) – something I could never have afforded as a teacher in SA. And broadband access is very cheap. Bread, milk, petrol? I have no idea…I need it so I buy it!

Somehow most people in Alice seem to have an adequate standard of living and seem to make ends meet.

Social integration:

People are very friendly and everyone has a smile when they greet you. It makes SUCH a difference to the grunts we got used to in Africa. My colleagues at school seem to be like most teachers I have come to know; caring and supportive. I have been invited to a few BBQ’s already.….Again, the transitory nature of this town means that over holidays (we currently have 2 weeks) people travel all over Aus to be with friends and family. I have found that if you decline invites to drink beer (they do that a lot here!), or join a social gathering, you will be though of as rude and unfriendly. You simply HAVE to make the effort to go – and soon enough it’s not even an effort.

My colleagues have all chipped in and lent us most of the basic things we needed for a few weeks. Having a Home Economics classroom helped! I got one of almost everything I needed for the kitchen too!

What I HAVE discovered, is that here, everyone is respected for who they are no matter how “different” they may be in appearance or attitude. No-one stands out in a crowd and no-one is really interested either! You are free to “do your thing” (obvious police laws notwithstanding!)

Children in Alice:

As a teacher this is my job – kids.

Yikes.

I have to be careful here as again, these comments are endemic to Alice I believe.

Kids here grow up FAR too quickly. They can drive cars at 16, most have jobs that they go to directly after school most days and on weekends, and many have the most appalling language. I am shocked by how they speak in front of a teacher. Disrespect for a teacher is also high on my “ I don’t like” list. Where does this come from? Quite clearly it’s the lack of boundaries at home. But with them having responsible jobs, when they come to school and are given what they consider menial tasks to do, or even be reprimanded, it goes down like a lead balloon. It’s quite a complex problem. The senior kids are very abrupt and call a spade a spade. Unfortunately at my new school, academics are not at the top of their priority list. I have to admit that I have a problem with that. And yes I am “only” a PE teacher; but PE also has a big element of theory and health education that goes with the practical side. Sport is huge here. The government throws money at sport to keep kids off the streets and maintain a healthy population – nothing wrong in that at all. But I have an A grade daughter and the lack of academic focus could be a problem in the near future. There are some politics within the school that are contributing to all of this and perhaps with time things may change as I have found out that I’m not the only one to see all the negative things.

My big negative thing is my year 11 class. They have been a problem with about 6 teachers and now it’s my turn. A bunch of BIG, unruly, burly boys who believe they can control anything and anyone. They are going to be my challenge – or my reason for resignation! Within the first week I had a bad run-in with a mom of one of the boys. What a cow of a mother – no wonder the son is like he is! I was supported by management but not before I was verbally abused and insulted. :boxing: But I had that in SA too…..

On the other hand, I have a nice bunch of year 10 girls to offset these dudes….:)

The fantastic news is that my daughter settled in so quickly! She has made some nice friends and I can see by the smile on her face when I see her (we are at the same school) that she is happy. I have told her that no matter what happens, or where we end up, the rules we had between us and for her will not change. That bit of consistency has worked very well. She has made it easier for me to get on with my job. Kids are definitely more resilient than we are.

Generally:

I decided to get stuck into things as soon as possible. I had a house rental and car within a week and I have joined the Outback 4WD Club and tennis club already. I have already dug out 2 Landy’s in the Finke River bed – ha ha ha! :blush:

We have joined the library and go walking in the Mall(it’s an outdoor mall) often to feel like an Aussie would feel.

You cannot hide in your house once you get here. Your life must be continued as soon as possible. Aussies are only too keen to help out someone who they can see is willing to give something “a fair go”.

You also won’t get far if you don’t try and adopt all the values of Aus life.

I’m so glad I spent a bit extra on not sharing a container. The ship is due to dock in Adelaide tomorrow (YAY!) and all our things should be here in Alice by the 19th October. :ilikeit: Our life is almost back to normal and now we’re missing our bicycles (almost EVERYONE cycles here to work!), different clothes(!), furniture and oh yes, my kettle and oven-gloves(never thought I would miss THOSE!) and my tools to fix a rattly bash plate I walloped in the Finke River

I also know I made the right decision in bringing all our stuff and not replacing here.

I am focused on getting my 4WD ute (bakkie) kitted out so we can explore everywhere. This country makes it so easy to get out and discover. The historical aspects of pioneering the country are fascinating; quite similar to Africa pioneering. I have a new respect for camels as well!

Work in Aus? There is lots – an ageing population with youngsters who don’t really want serious jobs. Very strange! There are always signs up around town for help wanted. It may not be the type of work you were used to doing, and it’s often manual kind of work, but it’s work and seems to be decently paid too.

Indigenous people:

This is a tricky and very complicated subject, but I’ll comment on it as I see it given my past experiences with similar things in Africa.

They cannot be likened to our blacks – but rather the Bushmen. And it’s very sad to see that they are a dying breed for a few reasons. Unfortunately the vast majority of them are very, very lazy, and this whole thing of “sit down money” paid by the government doesn’t encourage them to get off their butts and do something constructive about it. They have been marginalized for sure, but over 200 years, from what I have been reading, not much has changed. Social re-dress here is a big priority on the NT Governments list. But uranium mining here in the NT is becoming very important and all of it is on “their” land. So they still get money for doing nothing. Many, many adults cannot read or write and speak marginal English and schooling, even with young kids, is a mission. Our pre-primary unit in town has to feed them, wash them and provide everything to encourage them to come to school – and then after a few years they stop.

I teach a few in year 12 and they are just so not into anything…

They all live in camps nowadays, no more out in the bush, and camps are houses that have been provided for them by the NT.

But they tend to be very overcrowded, with lots of car wrecks lying around and often the houses are very, very run down. Most of them sleep in the open at night rather than in doors.

I find their personal hygiene shocking to say the least…

Grog is a huge problem in their community. So much family violence – we had 3 murders last weekend in Alice and all indigenous incidents. The kids bear the brunt of it hence the Intervention Policy to try and protect them. It’s a contentious issue which may or may not work. Time will tell.

In 4 weeks, we have not been approached by ONE in the street. They are not violent towards “outsiders” unless the younger ones gang up on someone in isolated incidents to harass a poor soul. No begging in the street, no coathangars to be bought at any robots! My daughter no longer slinks down in her seat in town if someone passes by….

I left my new purchases of 4x4 fridge, cooler bag and other goodies plus groceries in the ute with the tailgate wide open the other day, and came out to find a bunch of them sitting on the floor next to the truck. I went cold! (old habits will die hard). But nothing was touched. Again, being sensible wherever you go will do no harm, though.

And yes, here we have lots of them, but in terms of African numbers, we still hardly notice them.

Banking:

I have found the Commonwealth bank to be amazingly helpful. We went to the Migrant banking section in Perth the day we landed and got all our banking sorted out. All I had was my passport as credentials!! We have a transaction and savings account each and I have a credit card. I’m not a whiz at money things, but in comparison to my situation in SA, I am far better off here. Interest rates and banking fees are lower, it’s SO easy to get finance if you have a job (with proof of contract) and that’s with zero credit history and no fixed address at the time of application! My car finance was approved in 5 minutes! Internet banking is very similar to SA. I’m battling to come to terms with being paid every 2 weeks though…just different. Oh, and you don’t have to talk to someone through 3 inch glass at the bank – no fish-tank doors to get in either!!!

We had all our cards POSTED to us and they had been sitting in the box outside for 2 days while we were at Ayers Rock! Pin numbers get posted a few days apart – imagine that! :blink:

And ID?

They have this point system where different documents carry more points, but your drivers license seems to be the main one. Ha ha ha imagine that!

Drivers license:

Here in the NT you can do your learners as many times as you want. For free!

I tried it when I first went in, but failed cos their distances from things are different to SA. I downloaded the book and passed the next day. I do my practical with an instructor on Monday. Hope I don’t frighten him to death! I have had a license for over 20 years and ridden a motorbike halfway around Africa too! So I should be ok! Strangely, I may have to do a m/bike course so as not to have to use P and L plates or be restricted to engine capacity – that would be a blow!

Police? We’ve seen them every now and then – nothing to worry about. I think out here they are more involved with the dry camp laws and the indigenous hassles plus the hoons; not decent driving, law-abiding motorists.

Oh, vehicle registration is far stricter than in SA. It involves having your vehicle permanently road worthy…..

Downsides?

Of course there are some.

I miss my dad and my friends. I miss not being able to share all of this freedom and stress free way of life with them. :blink:

“homesickness” as such hasn’t hit me (yet). Keeping busy and getting involved with people will minimize that.

And that’s about it!

This country and it’s people have everything that I need to be happy and secure. It’s up to me to go out and do it.

I got here with very little money, and with just my daughter and I.

I won’t ever forget my friends, my roots or my birth country and I will try not to run it down. I will be factual if asked – and I have been asked often. SA is very much an “unknown” here.

I have been given a chance to live a good, safe life and I intend to grab the opportunity with both hands and help out where I can.

Will I stay in Alice longer than my 2 year contract?

I don’t think so even at this early stage. My daughter will probably go to Uni and I’d like to be near her and we already miss the ocean BIG TIME! (planning a few weeks camping/diving at Ningaloo Reef – I don’t care how hot it gets in my tent; I need the ocean!)

Of course, this is all how I see things here; it may not be the same for everyone as we all have different expectations and come from different starting points, but those of you with doubts, let them go. This is not Africa and will never be so don’t try and compare countries. Start again! It’s entirely possible!

Love and hugs :hug: to everyone who have been so supportive of me and helped with so many things.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else - I don't have all the answers but this is what the Forum is all about; helping the rest of you get here!

Tracy

Fantastic post!!

Glad to hear that children are the same all the world over, it is the parents who differ!!

I don't know if I would cope with 38C in spring, summer is going to be HOT, but that is what air conditioners are for :blink:

Enjoy your two years there, they will fly past!

Cheers

Gaille

Excellent post Tracy! I posted some comments on your post in bold. It seems a bit funny, your originalpost is in normal script while my comments are in bold - sorry for the confusion!

Cheers,

Dax

I would be wary here and keep a low profile at first, wait till you are more embedded in th eschool's culture & systems

There are some politics within the school that are contributing to all of this and perhaps with time things may change as I have found out that I’m not the only one to see all the negative things.

These types are the bane of all high schools in Oz

My big negative thing is my year 11 class. They have been a problem with about 6 teachers and now it’s my turn. A bunch of BIG, unruly, burly boys who believe they can control anything and anyone.

Methinks she's going to be fine!

The fantastic news is that my daughter settled in so quickly! She has made some nice friends and I can see by the smile on her face when I see her (we are at the same school) that she is happy. I have told her that no matter what happens, or where we end up, the rules we had between us and for her will not change. That bit of consistency has worked very well. She has made it easier for me to get on with my job. Kids are definitely more resilient than we are.

One cannot begin to appreciate the issues/problems unless you have checked it out firsthand - you're right!

Indigenous people:

This is a tricky and very complicated subject, but I’ll comment on it as I see it given my past experiences with similar things in Africa.

They cannot be likened to our blacks – but rather the Bushmen. And it’s very sad to see that they are a dying breed for a few reasons. Unfortunately the vast majority of them are very, very lazy, and this whole thing of “sit down money” paid by the government doesn’t encourage them to get off their butts and do something constructive about it.

Grog is a huge problem in their community. So much family violence – we had 3 murders last weekend in Alice and all indigenous incidents. The kids bear the brunt of it hence the Intervention Policy to try and protect them. It’s a contentious issue which may or may not work. Time will tell.

Adelaide is just down south from you :blink:

Will I stay in Alice longer than my 2 year contract?

I don’t think so even at this early stage. My daughter will probably go to Uni and I’d like to be near her and we already miss the ocean BIG TIME! (

Edited by Dax

Very interesting post.

About the skin dryness, see if you can get your hands on Campher Cream, not the white pot with the dark green lid, but the dark green pot with the dark green lid. Make sure it is Ingram's campher cream.

Namibia is also a very dry country and that was the only cream that worked for me. I brought a whole bunch with me and in Canada it is the only cream that helps my skin during the dry Alberta winters.

Regards,

Retha

Tracy- you are an inspiration!

I have lived in this awesome country for 6 years, but have not had the opportunity the pass the Great Divide.

My best wishes to you and your daughter. Good luck with the child/men you have to teach. You have guts!

With admiration

Queensland Girl

Guest colton

Interesting post Tracy,

I know how you feel re your dad. We never had a single day of doubt or worry but the day we left for the airport and I had to say goodbye to my dad was the HARDEST day of my life. I decided there and then that I couldn't do it, there was no way I was going to leave him, I just knew I would never see him again. My husband and kids had to drag me away crying it was so bad. Unfortunately my dad passed away 2 weeks after we landed and that was the only negative thing for me, but I know he wanted this for us too and he would be happy for us.

Enjoy the experience, you get out what you put in and your attitude is good so you will be fine.

Hi Tracy

Great to read your post and I am so so glad that things are working out for you in Aussie and especially Alice. Hubby said it has a special kind of thing!!

The waiting was worth it wasn't it!!

Good luck and come visit in Brissie with all ya dollars! Always have a spare room.

Lovies

Nilo

Hi Tracy,

I really enjoyed reading your post and although I'm not in Alice I can identify with most of your reasoning, especially regarding the schooling and youth. It sounds like you will make a good go of it there and I'm sure the two years will be a breeze. :blink:

Hi Tracy

I loved your post. It is such a pleasure to read how you have embraced you new surroundings.

I loved this statement: "Bread, milk,petrol? I have no idea..... I need it I buy. It reflects my own sentiments.

We also love Australia and most things Aussie.

If you ever come down to Adelaide sent me a PM and Lee and I would love to take you (and your daughter) to lunch/dinner. My shout!

Enjoy!

Manny

Ps. If we go up to Alice Springs in the next two years I will settle for a spin in your double cab 4WD along the dry river beds

Tracy, thank you for this wonderful post. I so enjoyed reading it.

"This is not Africa and will never be so don’t try and compare countries. Start again! It’s entirely possible!" Tracy, I agree with you 100% Personally, I never want to hear the words "when we were in South Africa..."

"Bread, milk, petrol? I have no idea…I need it so I buy it!" I never look at the price of things when grocery shopping. If I want it, I buy it. I also never look for South African equivalents. It is fun trying new things and to be honest, I find the selection far better in Australia. And this is coming from someone who lives in a small rural town with one IGA supermarket.

On a different note, and simply to amuse everyone, the final bulk of our RSA funds has just been transferred to our Aus bank account. It arrived in New Zealand Dollars :) All I can say is, hubby and I are SO relieved the money finally here and we no longer have to deal with Standard Bank!

Every best wish to you and your daughter and your new life in Australia. Hope you get to the ocean soon. :lol:

Hi Tracy

Try this link for a businees that operates on-line from Aldgate in Adelaide.

www.african.com.au

You should be able to obtain the camphor cream Retha mentioned from them. If ther=y don't have what you are looking for, you can also phone them and check if they would order it for you.

You can also Google Ceylon Spices here in Adelaide, my wife always buys it there. If you phone th eguys they may send it to you. Ceylon Spices sells a range of South African products here in Adelaide.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Hi Tracy

Whow what a excellent post !!!!! :ilikeit: Thank you so much.

I hope all go well for you and your daughter. Enjoy every minute and the ocean is waiting.

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

Oh my word!

I'm actually blushing from all the nice things you guys have said! :ilikeit:

I'm just glad my thoughts may have been of some use to you.

The offer's of beers, beds and challenges in sandy river beds are all appreciated and accepted!

If anyone is passing through you're all welcome.

Thanks for the info for the Camphor cream - amazing what we DO actually miss and don't think about until we don't have it - a sad fact of life.

Colton, sorry about your Dad. I know I face something similar, but at least they were both supportive about us going.

Cheers for now!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy! That was just inspiring for all of us who are waiting to go over...

I had a issue with my Dad, who is 81. He is living in a retirement village, but has no medical dept or care. He is still self- sufficient, but getting old fast. We thought it well to put him in an old-age home, but then will have to send money over and pay for this. We believed that if the Lord wills for us to go to Aus, He would provide the finances.

So, last night I phone my half-brother and ask him to look out for an old age home near him, so my Dad has a relative close by. A few minutes later he phones back to tell me, he and his wife has talked and they would love for Dad to come and live with them! I thought I would burst into tears...

This whole process has been nothing but a blessing for us and everything has been running smooth since we decided to go! so we are so excited to go over, as we know there lies a special blessing there for us, and your message has just confirmed that! Thanks :ilikeit: ...

Regards

Elize

Wow, Tracy thanks so much for that! I feel inspired all over again...... you have the right attitude, and I know you will do well there.

Alice Springs sounds like such an interesting place. Keep posting!

Mary

Hi Tracy, reading your post made me recall Alice as we found it when we immigrated there from Pretoria three years ago. I can identify with the heat and yes it gets worse...43 degrees and up sometimes...and suddenly I miss the place...hehehe. I found myself nodding at all you wrote especially the indigenous people and their ...erm...lack of hygiene...it is a smell you cant describe to anyone. The only thing I found lacking in your post was the mention of the flies....and it being October, should be getting much worse now. <_< I am sure you will be happy in Alice....it tends to grow on you....If the Henley on Todd hasnt happened yet, be sure to attend it is loads of fun. Good luck over there...

Hi ExASP!

Unfortunately we got here just after the Regatta <_<

Flies? I have tried every South African lotion, cream, perfume, you name it to try and discourage the little buggers and so far...nothing!

Great post Tracy!! Man it was just the post i was waiting to read. I draw my inspiration from you!!

All the best to you and your Daughter.

Thanx ExASP for that 43 degree tip..........

The Flies in Alice!!!

Hubby had been there twice for 3 week stints at the Airport. He bought a net that you put over your head as the little so and so's like to come to your eyes and nose and even your ears.

He used to phone me while having a smoke (he still smoked then) and the conversation would go like this ...

Hi darling.....spit!

What you doing.....spit!

bla bla .... spit! .....bla bla bla.....spit!

Better go .....spit! can't talk.....spit! these flies ...... spit!

are trying to get in everywhere!.....spit!

NB Not a real spit but that type of sound!

He did however love the place, flies and all!

Hi Tracy,

I loved your post, read and reread it, very informing, thanks. I just wonder WHY there are so many flies in OZ.

Every time one mentioned Oz in S.A. somebody had something to say about the flies.

Is there really nothing to be done about them and how do you cope? What about having an outdoor lunch or picnic? Must be a battle to keep them at bay then. What is the answer, I wonder?

Curious,

Kannidood.

Well, Tracy, I did say that you will be on a pretty steep learning curve teaching in Australia's Outback.

No matter what happens, how you feel, just stick it out for two years.

Your post is excellent. You show a real willingness to "give life a go" and living in Alice Springs is one helluva challenge, even for Aussies coming from the southern cities.

We were through "the Alice" only a couple of months ago and I wondered if you'd arrived by that stage to teach there.

The township and its people are great, but like everywhere else in Outback towns, there's the Aboriginal problem that began in the late 1960s.

Well-meaning governments gave citizenship to the indigenous Aboriginal population in 1967, allowing them to equal pay with white Australians and access to all the social welfare available to the broader Australian community.

Where previously there had been Aboriginal workers and stockmen living and working on cattle stations (ranches) throughout this enormous country, suddenly the station owner had to pay them the same pay as white stockmen and station workers.

Before 1967, Aboriginal stockmen and workers worked for "baccy" and "tucker". Their food was provided by the station owner and they lived pretty much as they'd be doing for thousands of years with their families camped close by the station owner's homestead. If the kids got sick or broke a leg, etc. the station owner's wife would call in the Flying Doctor for free hospital treatment if needed.

Basically, everything was "free and found" for the Aboriginal workers and stockmen before 1967.

Change came and they had to be paid the going rate, so the owners of the cattle stations had to make some tough decisions, usually involving letting most of the Aboriginal stockmen and workers go. The cattle stations could afford to employ perhaps 5 or 6 workers, but not 30 workers!

With the Australian government throwing money at them, they drifted into the nearby towns where they ended up unemployed, living on "sit down" money.

With access legally to the pubs, lots of money in their pockets for the first time and time on their hands to sit down and party, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that soon alcoholism would be the main problem in Aboriginal societies.

The sad truth in many Aboriginal communities is now coming out, after many years of trying to pretend otherwise. If a white Australian mentioned any dramas within the communities, he/she was dismissed as being biased against Aborigines . . . . the usual stuff! That way everyone could live with a warm inner glow living in denial, pretending everything was improving and that government policies were delivering a better way of life for the Aborigines.

Wife bashing, child molesting, petrol sniffing, gambling and alcoholism, diabetes due to a lack of traditional foods, glaucoma, etc. have all made a big joke of the well-meaning politicians in Canberra, 2000 kms away.

Today's young Aboriginal kids will have seen most of their elders drunk for much of the day . . every day . . will have witnessed their mothers bashed several times, seen dogs in the camp kicked within an inch of its life on a regular basis, will have lived in housing that is trashed (by Aboriginies), will have been to several funerals of family and friends dying of petrol sniffing or alcohol or substance abuse, and are often a "lost" generation.

No wonder they are disrespectful and a law unto themselves because their upbringing will not have given them good modelling for adulthood.

Australian government records of success in dealing with Aborigines is not good.

Anyone dealing with an ancient nomadic society only a couple of generations ago, where the wheel and the bow and arrow was unknown to them and expecting them to live like C21st white Australians is asking a lot.

Try living in the desert yourself for a couple of years with no tools to understand what a contrast it would be for yourselves living the same way as them!

I don't even pretend to have the answers, but treating them like white Australians, throwing money at them and expecting them to respond the same way as a white man isn't working.

They think differently, act differently and behave quite differently.

It may be all very well for democratic principles to be seen to be working, with equal pay and equal opportunites being applied, with have the vote the same as the white man, etc. etc. . . . but all these C21st ideas come from white men and women living a white way of life in white towns / cities, assuming that everyone is going to be better off having access to all that the white man has and responding accordingly.

The reality is that the "white man's way" may work a treat for white folk, but Aborigines are falling through the cracks big time.

Sorry for my cynicism, but as I write I know that Aborigines are suffering needlessly because of the well meaning policies of the Australian gov't over the past 40 years in particular.

Perhaps a form of "benevolent dictatorship" may be the answer for Aborigines . . . not that it would ever get off the ground in a white country like Australia, where democracy has to been to be working for everyone, and the "fair go" for all gives us a warm inner glow when we nod off at night!

Howzit Bob!

I didn't want to go into this topic too much on my post, but you are so accurate and perceptive. Being here much longer would have seen to that.

It IS a sad and tragic case and as you say, no readily available answers.

I have just finished reading a book by HM Barker about how he spent 18 years as a cameleer in the outback in the 1800's. What a story that was! I was quite sad at the end when he let all his camels go and walk away from that very hard and unique way of life.In it, you can see quite clearly how the "blacks", as he called them, lived and worked since for ever. Western lifestyles messed it all up.

I do feel sorry for the tiny kids; they're doomed almost right from the beginning.

I have also just finished watching a movie made by Keith F. Adams in the early 50's. He was an early Steve Irwin. He travelled the Gibson Desert to Alice, then up to the Gulf of Carpentaria, and then along the north all the way back to Perth in a BUICK!!!! (sealed roads at that time were virtually non-existant!!)

It's a movie aimed at the animal life and indigenous people he encountered; what a good DVD if you can find it: Northern Safari; the genius in the battered Buick.

Kanniedood, if someone can tell me the secret to the flies, I'll pay anything! Maybe Bob has the answer! ;)

Those fly nets on the hats are great cos then you don't swallow them, but picnics are horrendous. I don't think I'll ever get used to them.

Cheers!

Tracy

Edited by Tracy

G'day Tracy!

sorry about the eulogy on Aborigines, but I thought I'd paint a picture for you, seeing as you'll be rubbing shoulders not only with the run-of -the-mill Aussie up in the Alice, but also having to deal with the natives of that area too.

A history lesson wouldn't go astray, I was thinking!

By the way, Ningaloo Reef is great to snorkel in, but the current up the west coast of Australia (like the west coast of South Africa) is a fair bit cooler than the Queensland ocean currents.

Going in summer-time may be alright, but be aware that cyclones can come to any part of Australia's tropical coastline at that time of year . . . . and Ningaloo and the nearby town of Exmouth are both in the tropics.

Just keep your ears to the radio each day if you go there this summer for warnings.

I swam in the reef, finding Lakeside and a reef a little further to the south the best.

Coral Bay is all caravan parks and chalets, costing a small fortune to stay for a fortnight. We camped in out caravan at the Cape Grand National Park for $7 a day, "happy hour" being at 5pm when all the folks in the campsite get together for an hour at sunset in tee-shirts and shorts and pass the time before tea-time once the sun goes down. We had seven camp spots in our campsite.

Just remember that Australia is one helluva big place.

You won't be able to "pop over for a snorkel" for the weekend!

It will take the best part of a week's drive there and another week back, so allow two weeks of travel to and from Alice Springs, seeing the Bungle Bungles, Kakadu, the Kimberleys and the Hamersley Ranges on the way, if time lets you do so.

You've got to go thro Katherine before turning left to head west across the top of Australia, so pull up at Mataranka about 100 kms before Katherine and swim in the one of the hot springs there. Bitter Springs were the springs we found the best with the water temps being about 38 degrees and fish and small turtles swimming in the creek about 2 to 3 metres deep while you drift gently for 400 metres or so downstream . . . . magic!