Acreage near Brisbane

michaels

We have applied for a PR VISA and hopefully we will be in Aus by next year this time. We have always wanted to live on a smallholding outside the hussle and bussle of city life but always feared our safety in these remote areas. One city we have noted is Ipswitch and its surrounds which is close enough to Brisbane for travel but far enough out to be considered rural. Does anyone have any comments on these areas such as Crows nest, Anthony, Thornton, Milora and Ipswitch in general.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

Ipswitch is not a little sleepy town! We are also looking for something more rural. I would look at Karana Downs area as well (Ipswitch way) then another area would be going towards the Sunshine Coast, lots and lots of lovely little towns. We love Maleny but that is a little far to travel to Brissie for work.

The advantage of buying out of the city is that the prices are much more affordable.

Nilo

Hi Michael,

Also have a look at Mt Tamborine (in Gold Coast) a lovely place with a very unique and charming character :ilikeit: . I also LOVE Pullenvale in Brisbane :D - a lot of acreages, but very close to the city, but one definitely get a lovely country feeling ;) !

Good luck!

Pippa! X

Hi there

I have also looked at the following web page http://www.aussiemove.com/sub and checked the areas with regard to distance from Brisbane and also the median prices. Some of areas are rather pricey. I must say Beaudesert seems a rather nice area. We unfortunatley don't see ourselves spending much more than say $350-$400 K on a smallholding so we will be limited to only a couple of areas. I am in IT and it looks as though I will be working in the city when I get over so I cannot be too far from the city, but not necessary Brisbane city. Who knows. My family however will not need to be close to schools as they are all currently home schooled and we will carry on with homeschooling when we move across.

Any further information will be welcome.

Regards

Michael

Hi Pippa.

My hubby's been using Google Earth to look at Brissies and there was one area he said that looked really nice. Turns out it's Pullenvale! :ilikeit:

It does look nice...hope we can afford to buy there one day when we come over!

Hope you're all having a great weekend,

Michele

• 5 months later...

Looking on the Web and lots of nice acerage but over 100km from Brissie - thats to far to commute!!

I assume that staying on a small holding/farm is safe in Aus and specifically Brissie??? Nothing like doing that in RSA??? We want to bon on small holding that is big enough to have some horses, close enough to the city to work, and to the beach to swim in the sea!!! Is that doable?

What would one need to spend to get this?? and Where??

THere are Samford, Fernygrove, those areas are lovely would love to get acerage there!! Drove thru there yesterday, again!!! Have a look on Realestate.com.au and select acherage once you've selected Qld etc etc. Prices a little steep but, if you can afford it do it!! I think about 30k's from the city. Be prepared for traffic!!! I think worth it though!!

thanks nilo... when you say steep what kinds of pricing and what size/dwelling are you getting for that. Are these farmable (not sure thats actually a word) so could I keep sheep etc (HEY HEY HEY, I know what some of you are thinking!!!! and don't!!!! :whome:

I know this is probably a rude question, but anyone have photo's of any of these areas?

As Nilo said, Malaney is nice place, but to far.

To get a small holding reasonably close to the city (and at a decent price) , you might struggle a bit i'd say.

But, good luck i say

thanks nilo... when you say steep what kinds of pricing and what size/dwelling are you getting for that. Are these farmable (not sure thats actually a word) so could I keep sheep etc (HEY HEY HEY, I know what some of you are thinking!!!! and don't!!!! :whome:

I know this is probably a rude question, but anyone have photo's of any of these areas?

I would say $500 000 and up. Not huge ground and I suppose 10 sheep will be ok. But in the same breath they might have "rules". Maar o liewe tyd dis so so mooi daar!! Het nie gister phodies geneem nie. Sal volgende keer, Google earth dit, miskien sien jy iets, het self noggie probeer nie.

Hows that for 2 taled!!

My man se ouma was 'n Mc Donnald, hy wil ook net plant en boer (maak my eintlik gek) die liewe ding groei tamaties en herbs soos basil ens hier in ons klein dorps tuintjie in Brissie. Sal maar moet 'n stukkie aarde koop een of ander tyd dan kan ek vir hom sing, old Mac Donnald had a farm he yi he yi ho!!! Wat seg jy?

Hi Michaels, Gaan 'n bietjie na www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au sluit aan as 'n member daar is hope informasie daar. Dan kan jy hope vrae vra van die mense wat boer, " exkuus "vra vir die ander mensies se antwoorde, het dit nie so bedoel nie. Vra oor suitable areas etc hoeveel acres jy nodig het etc and onthou jy kan net so lekker boer op 'n kliener stukkie grond, plant net reg. Daar is rules in die dorp geen hanne nie maar jy kan a paar henne aanhou. Sien jou daar.

We have applied for a PR VISA and hopefully we will be in Aus by next year this time. We have always wanted to live on a smallholding outside the hussle and bussle of city life but always feared our safety in these remote areas. One city we have noted is Ipswitch and its surrounds which is close enough to Brisbane for travel but far enough out to be considered rural. Does anyone have any comments on these areas such as Crows nest, Anthony, Thornton, Milora and Ipswitch in general.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

I see that you posted this in Sept 2007 - I was not a member then and would therefore, not have replied then.

We travelled to Brisbane in December 2007 and I was fortunate enough to go for an interview with a large finacial services company. The person that interviewed me gave me a list of the suburbs to avoid - one of them was Ipswich. His reasoning here was that it tends to attract the misfits (the people that have not fitted into Aussie society) and the schools attract the gangs - he commented that the Ipswich schools were where all the problems were taking place with school gangs, etc.

I have not had occassion to check this information out one way or the other, and therefore, post it tentatively without really knowing whether the information is true or not. The person that interviewed me was a local Brisbanite and therefore, I assumed that this information was correct.

As for acreage, it depends on what you can afford.

We have looked at Fig Tree Pocket - 9 km from Brisbane (West), The Gap (8 km from Brisbane), Gumdale 7 km from Brisbane(East), Coomera 34 km from Brisbane(South), Munruben, Forestdale, Tarragindi - 11 km from Brisbane.

Good luck and let me know what you find as we are also still looking for acreage.

Thanks

Lynn

Nilo, Old MacDonnald sounds just fine to me!!! Wife and I definately want a stuk grond and yep, want some sheep, chickens, veg etc The whole nine yards!!! Nothing big in commercial terms but something that can be self sustaining - so thinking around 50 acres but not sure what that means in Brissie or near by as I will need to work in town until this stuff is paid for!!!

If can't get that then say 10 acres so can have some horses and a few animals - and a dam!!!

But, needs to be near enough to get to beach in say an hour or so....

Not to much to ask for....

Personally, i'd avoid buying on the south side, north is better.

Also, yeh, ipswich i would certainlty never buy/live in the area. Looks like it still has a reputation.

whats south and whats north (not the direction obviously, but the cut off and some examples of towns/places)? Excuse the stupid question, but I don't know...

Also, what reputation in Ipswich? Any other areas with bad rep?

Edited by Lion King

South and North? The Brisbane River, as easy as that. En dan kronkel die rivier lekker so daar is nie 'n lyn nie.

Ipswich has just been voted the most livable town in the world of it's size, that should be an indication. Ipswich property prices had a 25% growth last year, Ipswich council has employed some ghuru to help with the towns image. Think of Brisbane as Jhb 15 years ago and Ipswich as Pta.

It's a lovely old town on the way up with a speed!

Mike!

Country living outside the major cities in Australia is really safe. I've been living in the bush outside of the major metro areas now since 1984, first around the lovely city of Hobart down in Tasmania, then came back to Adelaide where we just couldn't live with neighbours next door to us anymore closer than 200 / 300 metres away, so bought a 7.4 acre (3 hectare) block up in the hills to the east of Adelaide.

We built a mud brick house, had chooks (hens) when my youngest daughter was a teenager and earlier (that was her pocket money selling the eggs and looking after the chooks), still got a couple of sheep, got three cows (one recently got the bullet, so is in the freezer feeding my mob for the next 5 or 6 months!)

I've retired nowadays (18 months ago as soon as I turned 55) and I absolutely love the lifestyle, sitting outside in the morning with brekkie and Bible in the 7 metre wide gazebo listening to the numerous parrots and other birds, the Fairy Wrens hopping round my feet for insects.

I have no security fence here. We just don't need one. My local town is 9 kms to the east and has a population of only Australians, so nothing ever disappears. I leave my tools out whilst working and fixing the car . . . . . I was putting a new heater hose in the Mitsubishi yesterday and had to drop tools to pick my wife up who still bothers to work three days a week . . . all my tools were still lying around the place exactly where I'd left them, my son's ride-on mower out on the lawn still where it's been all month!

If you don't hanker for the instant convenience of a supermarket just down the road, then country living is definitely a great way to go, to bring the kids up on and live a healthy life growing your own veggies and planting an orchard, running stock for the freezer.

Enjoy!

Hi there

It all sounds to good to be true. We are a large family my wife, 5 children all under 12 years old. My children are home schooled and we will continue schooling them at home when we are in Australia. I however will need to commute to Brisbane for work, unless of course I get a job in one of the smaller surrounding towns. We have always wanted a small holding but due to safety reasons in SA never been bold enough to move to one. Last week we were allocated a case officer so our PR can't be to far away. (that is if we are accepted of course)

Regards

Michael

Guest Polly Lau-Nilsson

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm a real estate agent in Brisbane. Ipswich is a nice place, yes, it is close to Brisbane & it's booming in value & population too. It's in west side of Brisbane & you should not have problem finding acreage block to live (half to one acre will be a good size to live). You may have to go further west if you want bigger ones. For safety concern, put some security facilities & it should be alright.

Polly

I need to change my perceptions about size i guess. When I think of acerage I think of a small holding so anything under 50acres. (usually between 5-20 as an average).

When I start thinking of a small farm I think if 50-500 acre and then for a real commercial farm 500 and upwards (Depending on the type obviously)

In Aus, what do you call these - It would appear that Acerage means like 1?

We are also browsing to buy acerage property. Acerage means anything from 1/2 Acre upwards - We are looking at Teviot Downs, situated in Greenbank, 40 min from Brissie, 40 min from the Gold Coast.

You can browse a little bit on www.realestate.com.au to give you an idea about the area or visit their website: www.teviotdowns.com.au Just remember: some of these acerages doesn't have a drainage/disposal system, so you need to work that in as extra to the price and it could cost you up to $25 000. There are also certain rules for eg to build a house of at least 27 squares on the property. Read the rules, standards & regulations of constructing a house on any acerage properties before you make a decision to buy a block. Lots of pro's and cons... For prices on new houses, you can have a look at www.dixonhomes.com.au - most of the houses in Greenbank / Teviot Downs had been build by them or Hallmark - www.hallmarkhomes.com.au

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

Madelein

Personally, i'd avoid buying on the south side, north is better.

Also, yeh, ipswich i would certainlty never buy/live in the area. Looks like it still has a reputation.

Hey Choog, what about the South West - areas like The Gap, Kenmore, etc

What are they like - do you know?

K.rgds

Lynn

Yeh, one of the locals will be better suited to respond about the Gap & Kenmore. I never really knew much about those places except to say i think they are fine.

Choog, Ya been away too long buddy!! Ipswich is on the up and up!! Huge changes brand new Shopping Mall, Value for money houses etc etc. Not only Borketts live there anymore!!!