Odd question

DesertDaisy

This is very silly question, but well, I can't help it. We are currently living in the Middle East and its very difficult to get hold of some South African products. I have discovered that I simply cannot live without Mrs Balls (or Wellingtons) chutney and more importantly, Crosse & Blackwell mayonnaise. The mayo we get here is absolutely insipid, and I hate it. I just wanted to know whether I should pack some in my luggage....

Oh, and my kids love Pronutro. Is that available?

We have lots of SA shops in Oz. Even the local Coles & Woolies supermarkets are starting to stock some of the things. Just need to have a browse at a few of them close by.

Try out www.springbokfoods.com or www.satooz.com - and they deliver to where ever you are in oz. Don't despair, you'll find it. Even in the remote regional town that we are, we get surprised every week at what we find.

SA goods such as the ones you mentioned and others are fairly readily available in the main centres of Australia and New Zealand, and if there is no shop around, well as you saw below, you can shop online. As Dedrei mentioned even the Aus (or NZ) Supermarkets and dairies offer SA products. Superarkets tend to be cheaper.

But as for packing some into your luggage, I would generally steer clear of that, depending on the type of foodstuffs of couse. There are severla sites with info but have a look at these for imports restrictions:

Australia: http://www.daff.gov.au/content/publication...93E5D87CAB8AF20

New Zealand: http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Arri...ons/default.htm

Both countries have stringent bio security laws and they DO enforce them rigorously.

Hehe. Mrs Balls will always be a favourite. :ilikeit:

Hi DD,

The only thing we are struggling to get over here is "un-squashed" Chocolate Logs. My wifey loves the stuff but they are all misformed, squashed or not very fresh (container damage and not enough respect for the subtleties involved with importing transporting and retailing chocolate logs - this is a fine art, believe me!)

Can anybody help, my wife needs her fix!

C'bug

Hi DD,

The only thing we are struggling to get over here is "un-squashed" Chocolate Logs. My wifey loves the stuff but they are all misformed, squashed or not very fresh (container damage and not enough respect for the subtleties involved with importing transporting and retailing chocolate logs - this is a fine art, believe me!)

Can anybody help, my wife needs her fix!

C'bug

Oh my goodness what a laugh. I buy my Mrs Balls, jelly tots and a few odd SA goods at Franklins which is part of the Pick n Pay group. I have bought a chocolate log or ten but yip they are all skwished and you just can't pick the chocolate off bit by bit if it is all mushed in. Its just not the same. :hug:

Hey Guys!

Maybe I should start a "squished chocolate log support group", for those who have had to endear the frustration, deprivation and shear tyranny of having to put up with those freakin flat and lifeless excuses for chocolate logs, any other takers?

Or maybe we should out put a chocolate log "watch" (like they do currently with the servo's that sell cheap petrol) and offer to pay an reward for someone who can find a perfect chocolate log in an Aussie shop!

choco BUG!

Here I am C'Bug, to collect my reward!!

Perfect in shape and size are the chocolate logs we buy at Springbok Foods in Sydney! Fresh too - Luv them now and then (not a big chocolate lover).

Here's your chance to convince your wife to come and have a holiday in Sydney!

Cheers

SAS

I will go and have a look at the shop that we have here and let you know. I am also a huge choclog'aholic.

:hug:

The SA Expats out in the Middle East don't moan about Chocolate Logs, but they do moan at the lack of NikNaks.

As for other stuff, well, occasionally one of the local speciality supermarkets stocks things like boerewors, biltong, mielie meal, All Gold Tomato sauce, Koo Jam, Pronutro, Maltabela, Ouma's Rusks and Ina Paarman spices. They always have Nando's Sauces, and I found another shop that stocks Steers Sauces. Its just all very random and you never know what you will find.

For me the big thing is the mayonnaise. They bring that it maybe once a year. When my mom comes to visit she brings me at least 3 bottles. But its never enough....

Guest Seoul Sister
The SA Expats out in the Middle East don't moan about Chocolate Logs, but they do moan at the lack of NikNaks.

As for other stuff, well, occasionally one of the local speciality supermarkets stocks things like boerewors, biltong, mielie meal, All Gold Tomato sauce, Koo Jam, Pronutro, Maltabela, Ouma's Rusks and Ina Paarman spices. They always have Nando's Sauces, and I found another shop that stocks Steers Sauces. Its just all very random and you never know what you will find.

:boxing: I haven't seen a single item on this list for more than 2 years !! My sister sent me smarties a while back and I was so chuffed - I had one per day to make them last longer (not really, probably more like 10, but it was torture :o ). I will take a chocolate log in just about any shape right now... :holy: Squished, melted, flat, bent, bring it on ! :blush:

See ya

SS

Edited by Seoul Sister

I have to disagree with all of you. :D:blush: (re Chocolate Log). I CAN live without them. :D:P In fact, I prefer to live without them no matter what aweful shape they are in. :P:holy:

But I am prepared to pay slightly more at the shops for Peppermint Crisp provided it's fresh. And if I am really really nice to my lovely wife we get 'Peppermint Crisp Tert'. :boxing::o

Hey NZH nobody's perfect! hehe those peppermint crisps are really good in a tart but hey they taste like toothpaste with a light choc covering...I need my choccies more decadent!

And SAS I need evidence!!! Any photo of a perfect one with you yomping away will do!

More importantly I need perfect ones in Brisbane......mmm eating the choc part off then the marshmellow bit and the the wafer biscuit part.....mmm

C'Bug-gat!

those peppermint crisps are really good

No worries C'Bug-gat :D , but you really did not have to apologise. :o

Now you've ruined a friendship. :P:D Oh no, that was Lunch Bar (remember the ads?), known as Picnic over here.

At least we know that Peppermint Crisps are good for you, one can even brush one's teeth with it. Hehe. :D

And try making an edible tart with Chocolate Logs. Hmmmffff. :holy:

Clearly I am outnumbered here but I'll stand strong. :blush: Hehe :P

Look, I'll admit, that if one strips away the marshmellow yuck and chuck it in the bin, well then it's OK but hardly value for money. :P

I guess my old favourite since the early 80ties at least would be Snickers and Twix :boxing: to name a few.

.....and if your teacher would have asked you to write a 300 word essay on your favourite chocolate you'd think he was completely drunk...... Seems like deprivation is the mother of all essays..... hie-hie :boxing:

HI all,

Just came back from the local cafe with its little SA section, stocked up on Jelly Tots, wine gums and 3 chocolate logs - quality not too bad! This should last the night! I'm yomping away on a C'log as I type....mmmhh....old memories come rushing in!

What are some of the SA goodies (chocs, sweets, biscuits) that you have indulged in lately! Let's see if if you could come up some good ones. I just saw some Wilson toffee's (the Coke flavour) Vicks bubblegum (those big ones) and chappies.......sheez this conjures up memories of our old local cafe (Wenk's tea room) (before the days of all hours petrol station shops!) after a hard day of swimming/ jolling and kattekwaad eating sausage rolls or "Big Jack" pies and a bottle of 200ml coke that you got cheaper if you decided to "drink here". Then you'd ask for your change in "los sweats" and or Chappies (remember the Did you know? questions in the wrapper?) and Vicks. If you were cool or rich you'd also play a game of "pin ball" (the real thing), donkey kong, space invaders or the ultimate Astroids. Who remembers the "mammals" books and stickers?? Yip you've guessed it i'm an eighties kid.

You'd like to share??

Sentimental BUG

What memories Chatterbug!! and I loooove Wilson's toffee's especially the black ones and the coke (red) ones.

Without hijacking the thread too much, does anyone know where in Perth we might be able to get Savanna's, apparently the SA shop in Bull Creek had, but went there and they dont anymore. I'm really missing them!! :boxing:

I LOVE nickerballs (spelling??) and they have them at the RSA shop close to where we live. Problem is, if you had a black tongue in RSA and explained you're sucking a nickerball, no more questions asked. Try to explain that one to an aussie......

.....does anyone know where in Perth we might be able to get Savanna's, .....

Hi Pisces,

What on earth is a Savanna? I must be out of SA for too long!!

Cheers

SAS

Savanna's are a cider, been available in SA for quite a few years. As Barry Hilton says " It's dry but you can drink them", have tasted the ciders here, but they're just not the same, make me think too much of Hunters.

I LOVE nickerballs (spelling??) and they have them at the RSA shop close to where we live. Problem is, if you had a black tongue in RSA and explained you're sucking a nickerball, no more questions asked. Try to explain that one to an aussie......

Don't explain, keep a few in your pocket, and demonstrate! :):lol:

A friend brought me Tennis Biscuits yesterday. Its the first time I have seen any in two years! Most people here have never heard of them and its so difficult to explain what exactly they are and why they are called Tennis Biscuits!

Because of the SA influence in NZ, all the New Zealanders here in the UAE also crave Mrs Balls and Ina Paarman's spices! We're infecting people!

Guest Seoul Sister
Because of the SA influence in NZ, all the New Zealanders here in the UAE also crave Mrs Balls and Ina Paarman's spices! We're infecting people!

Hey DesertDaisy,

(As you have started such a MOUTHWATERING thread, I'm thinking maybe you should rather be our Dessert Daisy ;) )

COOL about educating the NZlanders ! Mmmm, the more stuff you mention, the more things I am starting to miss. :) You are not going to believe my now, but Japanese children also know Marie Biscuits. :o Hubs bought them in Tokyo and we have also bought them here at the Japanese import shop. My youngest has a little Japanese boy in his class and he was SO chuffed when I sent him some Marie's for snack. Can you believe it ! And it even says Marie Biscuit ( のビスケット) on the packaging. I wonder how that works.. (??) With a name like Marie, I doubt we got it from them, did they get it from us ? Wonder where it comes from originally.. Anyway, still amazing.

Enjoy your tennis biscuits ! (I miss eat-sum-mores now ! (spelling??))

Love from here

SS

:lol:

Just to wet your appetites even more.

Our local shop just got some more stock in this week, blew a whole whopping $50 on all of this.

post-2-1147693016.jpg

Guest Jules

Chatterbug,

Could you please tell me where you bought your SA goodies in Brisbane or if you know of any other shops here? There's nowhere in this area and I would prefer to see what I am buying so I haven't bought online. I don't mind travelling once in a while to get my fix :lol:

Thanks

Julie :)