Our first few days in Cairns

Dedrei

Well let met start off by saying that everything did not go smoothly with our getting over here. :D

We got at the airport to check in at Cape Town, just to find out that we were not booked for that flight. :huh: I had a email confirmation and everything from Deeksha (IOM) confirming our flight details right up to Cairns. Went to the SAA reservations desks and boy did I get some bad service and a cold shoulder. So I phone Deeksha to find out what the hell is going on as we need to check in as our flight is leaving in 90 min. Meanwhile my blood is boiling like crazy and I am stressing like you won't believe. Just as luck would have it she's on leave. :ilikeit: Great stuff hey? :angry: Talked to another lady and she says apparently we only paid for the jhb to Cairns part and not the CT to Jhb part? How'd that happen? :blink: I was furious by now and asked her what our course of action is now and she said she can't do anything from her side as their systems are down. :blink: , can you bloody believe it?

To top it all!! There were no Economy seats available on any SAA flight for the DAY! By this time I am beyond stressed. Worrying if we would make our flight in Jhb, worrying if we will be able to take our 40kg baggage allowance if we book another flight for us to get into Jhb? Then I looked at the flight schedule to see what other airline we can fly and there is only one flight we can take that would be in time for our Jhb one. So we went to the BA counter and asked if they still have seats for their flight? Low and behold they do. :ilikeit: Just costs us another R2200. Then asked about the 40kg baggage that we have and are allowed from Jhb/Sydney/Cairns. They say no probs, IOM just need to fax the Eticket to them confirming our baggage allowance. So after all this stress I just needed to have a brandy and coke. I don't drink really, but I just needed to take the edge a bit off. ;)

Nice flight to Jhb. Well would you believe that our bad luck has not run out yet... :P

After searching for ever for the international terminal (please don't go by the boards they have in domestic terminal as you would be going in circles) we eventually got to where we need to be - just to find out that our Qantas flight was delayed by 35min. While waiting for our flight it got further delayed. We eventually only boarded at 19.00 and our flight was originally for 18.10. We only left the airfield at about 20.00 as we had to wait for two late passengers. :angry: Well pilot made up some time in air so we only arrived like 1 hour late at Sydney.

Finally arrived at Cairns 22.40 Tuesday night. Got off the plane and was hit by that humid and moist air. And then it is raining as well. Weird weather, will take some getting used to.

Well we've been here for a few days now, and we are really loving it!! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Had our first shopping experience and let me tell you that it took us forever in Woolworths. There are so many choices you won't ever get in SA, it was really astounding. Spoilt for choice, hey mates? We went down every isle in Woolies and looked at about every kind of product and what the equivalent of this is in Sa. Got to the coffee/tea isle, and I was looking for the "african bush" tea - our rooibos tea equivalent. Heard from some of you that is what it was called here. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a pack of Vital Rooibos Tea. Made in Western Cape nogal. I was ecstatic to say the least - not even to mention the fact that this is all the way from home. :cry:

We walked around our Stockland shopping centre some more. People - please don't bring suitcases and suitcases of clothing over. The stuff is really cheap here. :unsure::) I mean really cheap, cheaper than in SA. Paid anything from $14 - $20 for tops for myself, stuff for work and some casual things. I totally went crazy. Came home and counted that I just bought about 13 tops/blouses. :blink:

Most of the stuff we have seen here are either the same price (if converted) or cheaper. We are really settling in well I'd say. Getting used to the weather. Only a few things that bothers/puzzles us are the following...

• The Quensland Gov adverts regarding safe driving and not speeding, are really upsetting and is quite of shocking nature. Suppose that is why the people don't speed. :o
  • Aussies don't know about having mushroom/cheese/pepper sauce on their burgers. They think you are mad for even suggesting it. :blink:
  • Tried the Aussie KFC and boy were we disappointed. None of that SA mayo on there and variety is not as big as SA. Only 3 varieties of rounders.
  • What is with the ozzies and their bacon & cheese burgers?

But alls good! :( We just need to get used to all of the new things. Don't get me wrong, we aren't complaining, just giving a balanced view.

Still looking for a replacement for our tangy mayo in SA, any suggestions?

Cheers for now! :hug:

Welcome DEDREI

Yes , and does the weather take getting use too.Sorry to hear about the xtra money you had to spend , but I'm sure that was the fastest you paid it without asking questions :ilikeit:

I am just a few hundred kms down the road in MACKAY and my daughter is going to Cairns in May with the school so I will hear and see lots of your town.

KFC is definitely disappointing , so we do subway instead...more healthier also.

ENJOY YOUR EASTER WEEKEND

Guest Larry

Hey! Welcome to OZ! :ilikeit: Pity about the flight booking mix-up. - But that is all behind you now.

When I flew over about 12 years ago, I went via Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific in Jhb forgot to tell Hong Kong about my being OK for an extra 20 kg of luggage for my SCUBA diving gear. They wanted to charge me for excess baggage! They kept repeating "We have no message! We have no message!" So I spat the dummy big time, sat down with my feet on the scale and refused to move until somebody with a bit more authority attended to my case. Asians don't like confrontation..... They let me onto the plane with my excess luggage and without having to pay for it! :ilikeit:

But Cathay Pacific have lost a customer!!

Anyway, it is hot and sticky down here in Caloundra as well. A beach visit might be called for.

Welcome to OZ!!

Hi Dedrei! Glad you made it!! :ilikeit: It feels like a last kick under the butt from RSA - having to go through all of that to get here - doesn't it? Well, you're here now - and from the sound of it, you're already having a ball!

Jip, there's a lot to get used to, but you do. I LOVED RSA chokkies, and did not like the Aussie version at all, but now I got so used to it - a girl's gotta have chokkies! - and when I get some from RSA, I find them too sweet! (Never thought I'd say that!)

The best Crosse & Blackwell alternative (close....but no cigar - but if you're desperate, this is the best you'll get) is Heinz Salad Cream. (It is in in a very tiny bottle - about the size of a small glass - with the nr 57 on the label). I've tried them all - all the brands, with egg, without egg, and Heinz Salad Cream is the best.

The bacon on the burgers is one thing, but the BEETROOT! I mean, really! Still can't get used to it and always ask for "no beetroot" (Have you tried a tuna mayo toasted sandwich in Aus? Don't bother - it's disgusting)! I don't eat KFC - haven't for many years, so I can't sympathise with that one. Good news: I contacted Steers in RSA to find out if they'd be considering opening outlets in Aus and were told that it is part of their short term planning!!! Can't wait to get my hands on a decent burger! :ilikeit:

I'm glad you're having a good time in Aus. I've never been to Cairns but it is definitely on my "must do" list, so I'll see ya! Shout if you need any Aussie info or assistance - and let me know as soon as your dogs arrive in Sydney!

Chat again! :ilikeit:

Dear Deidre,

I am so glad that you are finally in Oz and sorry to hear about the problems that you've encountered on CT Airport.

When does Hubby start with his work? Are you planning to go for interviews shortly or will you take a few weeks of to settle in?

I think about you and it is feels funny not to get a skype message from you in the morning. You and I will have to chat on skype in your evenings and my mornings.

Good luck and enjoy!

Pippa

(O-ja, please send me some pics of Oz when you get time!)

Dedrei!

glad you made it, girl.

The tropics takes some getting used to, even for Aussies from the south of Australia which has a temperate climate, so don't be surpised if you are working up a sweat and sticky all day just going for a stroll outside.

I remember in 1978, my time in Townsville, a city about 200 kms south of you in Cairns. I worked in a factory there for a couple for months, and the young Aussie foreman and I got to be mates, so he invited me and my mate who travelled up from Adelaide with me, over to his place one Saturday for a beer.

I looked at his fish tank, cos' I had tropical fish as a kid and remarked "where's the heater element for these tropical fish??"

He looked at me as if I was two bob short of a quid.

His reply . . . . "tropical fish don't have heaters in the tropics!"

. . . DERRRR

What a numb I am at times!

Don't be surprised if you get caught out like that yourself once or twice.

One word of warning.

DON'T swim in the Pacific Ocean like I did.

The beaches in Cairns are very inviting and sooo warm . . . . BUT . . . there are Box Jellyfish in the ocean that can kill you in the "wet" season (summertime), so if you want a short stay in Australia just swim in the sea and ignore what the locals are doing.

To this day, it's an absolute miracle that I didn't end up in intensive care in hospital.

Welcome Dedrei

So glad you're finally here as well, seems like ages since we were both still in SA! Before you know it you'll be settled and it will feel like you've always been here.

Hi Dedrei

Baie welkom in die land van Aus. Julle sal vind julle moes lankal oorgekom het. Die buns wat KFC hier by ons gebruik, proe of dit die is wat verlede week deur die Salvation Army uitgedeel is, en jy kan dit glad nie afsluk sonder iets nats nie. Bi lo(een van ons kruidenierswinkels op die Sunshine Coast) se eie mayonnaise proe nie te sleg nie.

Mag julle baie gelukkig wees waar julle nou is. :ilikeit:

HI Dedrei,

Welcome in Aus! Was nice to read your message, took me back to our first couple of weeks in Aus, Brisbane too!

Anyway you will experience many differences, but will also experience many things that are similar to home!

Cairns is a great place with soo much to see and do, especially if you guys are the outdoor types. I love Port Douglas (very beautiful - just North of Cairns), Kuranda, Palm Cove and off course the esplanade! The local zoo is also quite good. Also quite a holiday destination - with a bit of a transient population!

Anyway you guys are very brave to live in that sort of climate, arriving just after the cyclone and all! hehe Our first visit was in a December and man did we suffer! I think if you can survive that you'll be quite OK there! Prepare for the perculiar site of seeing people in shopping centres with nothing else than a pair of board shorts, no shoes and shirts! That even happens down here in Brisbane in summer!

There are quite a few Nando's in Brisbane and surrounds, not sure if there is one up there - at least they have good chicken burgers with all the sauses! I have family up there and they order things from www.satooz.com.au, we do too and they are quite good with the deliveries. I'll try and find out if they have any SA shops up there, I think the SA community is relatively small up there, but probably not bad to get hooked up for some familiar chit chat!

Now Dedrei please remind us again, how come did a Cape Town girl choose Cairns of all a places?

Enjoy the place and you can relax now! You are in Far North Queensland (refered to as FNQ) now. Get out there and enjoy the water and the diving etc. and yes stay within the "patrolled beaches" to avoid all the potential dangers!

Chatterbug

Dankie almal vir julle support!

Ons het die naweek lekker die plek bekyk en besoek. Ons niggie van Townsville het opgekom vir die paasnaweek na ons toe en ons so bietjie rond gewys.

Was Saterdag Port Douglas toe en na die Habitat Centre. Dis stunning!! Lekka brekkie geëet saam met die voëls en kangaroos gevoer. Nog besig om my pc op te stel met die internet so sal nog vir julle foto's wys.

Sondag was ons deur Kuranda toe. Ougat dorpie met al die markets. Daar is vreeslike mooi watervalle in daai omgewing. Kan nie wag om julle te wys nie.

Dit reën net aanhoudend op die oomblik hierso, met die sikloon Monica wat nou bo ons verby gaan. At least is dit nie meer so bedompig en humid nie. Moet sê mens raak nogal vinnig gewoond aan die klimaat.

Enigeste ding wat ek nie van hou nie is die bloody jetlag. Het Vrydag nag kierts regop gesit tot 3.30am die oggend en toe gaan slaap en moes toe weer 6.30am op vir ons trip Port douglas toe. Lyk my ek is nou oor dit, maar dis regtig nie nice nie. Manlief slaap soos 'n klip.

My man het laas week sy werkgewer gaan ontmoet en ek was toe sommer saam. Regtig nice mense. Die vra sommer vir my hoe weet ek so baie van hoe dinge by my man se werk werk. Ek weet nie, ek like net van dinge weet en hoe dit werk en manlief is te happy om te vertel.

Ek moet nou afspraak maak met die accounting firma die week om hulle te gaan sien. Het mos telefoon interview gehad toe ek nog in die kaap was. Toe ons in Sydney land check ek gou toe my emails en toe het die baas van die plek my net gemail en gevra of ons darem iemand het wat ons optel en is ons darem georganise? Ek mail toe terug en sê ja, die ouens van my man se werk het ons darem kom optel.

Al ding wat my op die oomblik vang is om sonder 'n kar te wees. Hierdie bus ryery en wag vir een werk nie vir my nie. As ek iewers wil gaan wil ek nou gaan. Kan ook nie regtig die suburbs explore nie. Ons neef het darem vir ons bietjie rond gewys. So 'n karretjie is eerste op ons lysie al is dit 'n Daihatsu Charade of Sirion.

Ok ek moet seker gou my wasgoed by die laundry gaan haal. :lol:

Cheers vir eers

:ilikeit:

Bly om te sien jy is hier!

Wees dankbaar dat julle rooibostee het, hier is niks van die aard te kry nie. Ek drink nie Engelse tee nie a.g.v my koshuisdae ("Tannie, is dit koffie of tee dié?"), nou is ek maar op groen tee. Gelukkig is hier goeie koffie, veral in hierdie half Italiaanse dorp van my is die koffie baie goed.

Laat weet oor jou werk.

Haai daar.

Jy moet uitkyk by Coles hulle verkoop die rooibos tee.

By Action kan jy die Nando's produkte kry.

Hi Dedrei

Hope things are ok on your side with Cyclone Monica on its way...keep us posted .

Stay safe.

Things are fine this side. Just raining like crazy here and never ending this morning. Will keep you posted on developments.

We don't even know what needs to be done if one hits us, will need to get familiar with this sort of thing and read up.

Hi Deidre,

Dit klink wonderlik en te heerlik! Dit klink asof jou toekomstige / moontlike werkgewer nogal heel caring is oor jou en jou man. Dit is wonderlik en ek hoop regtig dat jy vinnig gehulpe raak met 'n werk.

Jy moet asb foto's pos sodra jy kan. Ek kan nie wag om alles te sien nie!

Geniet elke oomblik!

Groete, Pippa!

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi Dedrei,

I am so glad to see that you have arrived safely in Cairns. *phew* what a way to leave the country, hey ? The first time you feel a bit of a homesick mood coming on, just remember those :ilikeit: who made such a mess of the arrangements, and you will feel better. INSTANTLY !! :D

Good luck with all of the figuring out and settling in you will be doing in the next while. I hope you will be very happy with your decision and your new and improved life in Australia !!

One thing you should do. Write an article about how you feel right now. Write about everything that amazes you about Australia, e.g. how clean things are, how slow the busses drive, how the rain comes from nowhere, how friendly the people are, etc. Write it in the most detail you can. Print a copy out and keep it. I still have mine from when we arrived in Holland and it so much fun to read it every now and then and to remember how grateful and starry-eyed we were. I'm gonna frame mine and put it on the study wall in Oz, so you should come for a visit once we are settled in Sydney and come and read it. :ilikeit:

Congratulations on your new life !! :blush:

Lots of love

Seoul Sister

:D

Here are some pics finally. Over easter weekend we went to Port Douglas, Mosman Gorge in Raintrees forest, Kuranda.

*deleted*

Lovely pics Dedrei! :ilikeit:

How's Cyclone Monica affecting you guys?? :ilikeit:

Hey Dedrei,

Cool pics daardie! Kan jy glo die keer toe ons op na Kuranda toe was met die kabelkar in 2001 was daardie waterval droog! Moeilik om te glo met al die onlangse reen ne!

Ek het vroer gevra maar miskien het jy alreeds erens anders geantwoord, maar se gou bietjie hoe het julle toe besluit op Cairns? Wat was die trekpleister?

Ciao

Chatterbug

We are fine this side. Almost washed away by all the rain here. Unbelievable how much rain has falllen last few days.

Chatterbug, we originally decided on Melbourne when we started researching oz and the options. Started applying for jobs through seek for hubby but nothing came through. Decided that maybe we should widen our search and then we found the ad for a job for hubby in Cairns. Applied immediately. After some research on Cairns and consulting with family in Townsville and my sister in law that have been there we decided on Cairns. Hubby did get another offer from Mackay but decided against it as I might find it difficult to get a job and Cairns just seemed so much more beautiful in photos and the city is larger than Mackay.

Ons het uit eindelik 'n paar wiele!

Manlief het lekker staff discount gekry.

Sou nooit in SA so kar cash kon gekoop het nie.

Het a/con, power steering, airbags en is 1.3. Lekker rond gerits al vandag.

post-2-1145606484.jpg

post-2-1145606531.jpg

Hey Dedrei :ilikeit:

I’ve been reading your posts with great interest; I am so glad that you’ve arrived and are settling in. Congrats on the new wheels – your car looks great.

I’m sure you have far larger things on your mind than tangy mayonnaise, but try adding a dash of lemon juice to the mayo and see if that helps.

Keep smiling :)

Cindylou

You are here!

Thanks for the great pics. It is a beautiful place.

We have just returned from are yearly trip up in the Whitsundays and experienced some bad weather.(apparently due to Monica)

Not fun- 7 teenagers in a boat cabin and pouring rain. But in between we had some great moments.

Your car looks great -good for sideparking-nice and short.

Enjoy the weekend. I see the rain has let up.