Counselling/ Psychology

leeatedinburg

HI all I am looking for advice please, We have our visa`s and are making plans to move ASAP, In SA I am registered as a registered Counselor with the HPCSA, I have a honors degree in psychology and a post grad in Trauma counselling and accredited as a registered counselor under our board. My question is how do I find out what I and able to work as In Australia or what type of work I would be considered for, would I need to get my qualifications assessed by the Psychology board to be able to work? I have over 12 years of counseling and management experience. Any advice or guidelines would be hugely appreciated please. 

Hi

My husband is a registered psychologist in South Africa and has not been able to register in Australia.  Registration is a complicated process and they recognise some South African training and others not.  He also has to pass the English test and show proof of the hours of supervision he received 20 years ago during his internship.  He kind of gave up trying to get registered.  However, I wanted to give you good news.  He found a job without being registered.  He works as a "therapeutic practitioner" and does psychology type work.  There are many levels of psychological services available here, and therefore also lots of more  admin type jobs that still require a psychology background, but not necessarily registration.  It was not easy finding the job, with no local experience and not being registered.  There is also fierce competition for these kinds of positions. 

It is not cheap but the easiest route might be to do a masters degree in Australia, then you would more easily be able to get registered.

• Like 2

https://www.seek.com.au/job/37844173?ref=applied

Community Support Worker

Interact Australia LtdMore jobs from this company

Community Connectors Wanted!

ABOUT US

Interact Australia is a not-for profit organisation that empowers people and their families in choosing and designing a life for themselves – within their home and in the community.

THE ROLE

An Interact Support Worker facilitates amazing experiences with participants each and every day. Emotional and practical support empowers participants, turning their dreams into reality. By working collaboratively with participants to achieve their goals via a person-centred framework, you will be making a very real and positive difference in their lives.

ABOUT YOU

• You are a 'People Person' capable of creating meaningful and purposeful relationships
  • You are motivating, take initiative and possess critical thinking skills
  • You are trustworthy and compassionate – honouring the privileged position of entering into peoples' lives
  • You are an excellent communicator –  identifying, exploring and implementing personalised participant goals

Preferred but not required:

Students or candidates with experience in the following: Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Exercise Physiotherapy, Speech Pathology or Psychology. These skills and knowledge will directly link to the support we provide to our participants. 

Candidates looking for a change in career or who have lived experience with disabilities are encouraged to apply.  

ROLE REQUIREMENTS

• First Aid and CPR certificate (or willingness to obtain)
  • Blue Card (or eligible to obtain)
  • Own registered vehicle with comprehensive insurance
  • Like 1

Why don’t you google ‘psychologist Brisbane’ or ‘psychologist Adelaide’ (just as an example. Pick say 10 people and go and take a look at their qualifications. You will have to dig deep into their LinkedIn and professional websites. Try and figure out where and what they studied. It seems (to me, anyway) that many of them are not really fully qualified psychologists. I saw somebody recently and she seems to have a BA plus a few courses and experience 👀. So there seem to be ways and means to become ‘accredited ‘.

One big thing here is that you need to be a practitioner who is recognised by Medicare, so your patients can claim a rebate. If I go and see a psychologist I pay $150 per hour but get about $75 back from Medicare, because she is registered (and because I first obtained a GP referral). So that may also be an angle to look into. Good luck with it!!

Edited by Bonny
  • Like 2