newbie starting the process

Carrots

Hey all.

I am getting married in a couple of months time, and plan to start the visa application shortly thereafter. I have always thought that I would have a relatively easy time getting a visa as I am pretty well qualified with an Electronic and Computer Engineering degree and working as a software developer. However, reading up on the skills assessment process I am not so sure any more.

I was planning on applying on my own, but now I think having an agent to guide us might be a good idea.

Welcome to the forum.

I personally think working with an agent is better and would recommend you start by letting one of the agents do an assesment for you and take it from there.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:18 AM, Carrots said:

I am pretty well qualified with an Electronic and Computer Engineering degree and working as a software developer

The problem you'll find is that it's not so much about qualification but more about your work experience after those qualifications.  The other issue is that the minimum points required for Software Engineers have gone up to 75 points meaning you'd have to score full marks in your English test and be under 33 years old (http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/49112-skillselect-189-for-20th-june-2018/).

Start the process as soon as you can, good luck!

13 hours ago, ChrisH said:

The problem you'll find is that it's not so much about qualification but more about your work experience after those qualifications.  The other issue is that the minimum points required for Software Engineers have gone up to 75 points meaning you'd have to score full marks in your English test and be under 33 years old (http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/49112-skillselect-189-for-20th-june-2018/).

Start the process as soon as you can, good luck!

Oh crap. 

65 was looking to be pretty difficult for me.

I'm 38 at the moment, with 13 years of actual work experience. The question is how much ACS will deduct during the skills assessment process. We probably can't get the extra 5 points for my fiancee who is on the STSOL list if we apply for the 189 visa.

It seems chatting to an agent will definitely be a very good idea at this stage. 

Edit: I see the screenshot in the link specifically mentions "software and applications programmers", but the first 4 numbers of the code is the same as for software engineer, which is that I am hoping to apply as. I guess it depends on what ACS decide I qualify as.

Edited by Carrots