SkillSelect 189 for 20th June 2018

SkillSelect 189 Invitations published for 20th June 2018 (the last round of the 2017-18 migration year).

For ALL occupations NOT in the table see text below

- 189 Invitations
300 invitations were issued for the 189 visa to EOIs with 75+ points (EOI date of effect prior to 13/6/2018).
[the good news is that in the first round of invitations for the 2018-19 migration year we saw some 189 invitations issued to EOIs with 70 points]

- 489 (Family Sponsored)
5 invitations were issued for the 489 visa to EOIs with 80+ points (EOI date of effect prior to 09/05/2018)

The attached table is ONLY for occupations that are issued on a ProRata basis

Points.jpg

20 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

the good news is that in the first round of invitations for the 2018-19 migration year we saw some 189 invitations issued to EOIs with 70 points

Unfortunately, only 800 invitations in the first round and pro-rata occupations were all sitting on 75 points in the first round. Pro rata applications were also capped to only 20-25% of normal allocation.

Things are looking very grim at the moment - at this stage I'm not sure if I'll get an invite and I'm running out of time. 

It had only been 300 each round since December 2017 prior to this round, so hopefully the figure may be higher than this for a while?  

Edited by TeeTMI

5 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

It had only been 300 each round since December 2017 prior to this round, so hopefully the figure may be higher than this for a while?  

Certainly hoping for the best, but with the latest numbers and the capping of pro rata occupations, the points won’t go down to 70 until invitations increase and they stop capping.

Until then, this means 75 points is effectively the minimum points needed for invitations for pro rata occupations.

The last 70 pointers on pro rata occupations got invites in Oct 2017. For 70 pointers to get invites again, the number of invitations will have to return to normal levels of 1500 again and stay there for a few months for the backlog to clear.

I’m realy hoping this will happen, but with all the politics of politicians wanting to cut migration by 50%, which has effectively been the case since Dec 2017, all we can do is hope at this stage...

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and in the early stages of the process.

Qualified CA(SA), 32 years old, 7 completed years work experience

I need to achieve 79 on the PTE test this weekend.

Based on my calculation, this would get me a total of 80 points.

I will be applying for the 189 Visa for Accountant, when I eventually get to the EOI stage.

Do I still stand a good chance of getting this VISA based on my scenario?

Thank you!

@Cherryford How do you calculate 80?

I would say:

PTE: 20

Degree: 15

7 years work xp: 10  (you need 8+ for 15)

That's 75 points.

Which is pretty much the minimum for accounting. You should get an invite on 75 points but expect to wait a while (months)

If you hit 8 years experience prior to turning 33 you will go to 80, once you get 33 you will go back to 75.

80 will give you a good chance.

Please note, this is based on the fact one of the accounting bodies assess your work experience as positive. Have you had your degree and experience assessed?

@Piet1234

Sorry yes, I mis-read the page and see now that 15 points is for work experience in Australia.

I have all my work references ready and as well as all my degrees.

I have a letter from SAICA stating I'm a member in good standing.

I'll be applying to the CAANZ for a skills assessment, but doing the English test first to submit with that request.

Do you know  what the difference is between these 2 and what one should apply for?

- Skilled employment assessment

- Combined assessment option

https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com/about-us/what-we-do/migration-assessment/australia-immigration/skilled-employment-assessment

Thanks

1 hour ago, Cherryford said:

Do you know  what the difference is between these 2 and what one should apply for?

- Skilled employment assessment

- Combined assessment option

Skilled Employment Assessment: This is to assess just your work experience, BUT you can only choose this option AFTER you have done the Qualification Assessment from them.

Combined Assessment: This one they do you Qualification Assessment first, and if your qualification assessment is positive they do a work experience assessment.

If you haven't done a qualification assessment yet, which I assume you haven't you should take the Combined Option.

The other option exists if you were not sure your qualifications would be positive, so can do a qualification option first and if positive come back and do work experience. This would save some money if the qualifications comes back negative but with SAICA membership I would go straight to combined as these guys take about 7 weeks.

To be invited to apply for the 189 visa, Accountants currently need at least 80 points.  Recently, with only 80 points you might expect a wait of around 5 months before receiving an invite.  

Be aware though that points and waiting times can vary considerably over time depending upon a variety of factors, some of which are unpredictable.

@TeeTMI

So does that mean there is no chance of getting invited to to submit an EOI with being a CA(SA) and a score of 75?

Where does one access the table in your screenshot above?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

@TeeTMI

So does that mean there is no chance of getting invited to to submit an EOI with being a CA(SA) and a score of 75?

Where does one access the table in your screenshot above?

Thanks

You can submit an EOI with a score over 65 - however the table above shows the points required to be invited to apply for a visa.  The scores required can and do change over time depending upon variables not yet known, it can go up or down.

The table is on the department of home affairs web site under skillselect.

As mentioned by Tee 65 is the technical minimum but as Accounting is a pro rata occupation and there are so many people applying under it you would need more.

75 points will give you a slim chance, although your wait on 75 points at the moment is expected to be over a year. In this year you will turn 33 and then lose 5 points and go down to 70. This will change your EOI date and put you at the back of the queue on 70. Also during this year you should move to 8 years experience, and if all 8 years of experience are assessed as positive you will gain 5 more points putting you back to 75.

Of course if you get to 8 years experience before your 33rd bday you will move up to 80 points temporarily.

When do you become 33 and when do you expect to get 8 years experience?

Also not sure if NSW sponsor Accounting anymore, but last year it was possible to get 5 extra points by going the 190 State Sponsorship route to NSW (worth a look)

One thing to bear in mind, as mentioned by TeeTMI, this is based on current SkillSelect rounds, where they are taking 800 per round of which only 45ish are accountants.

Last year at this time, they were taking around 2000-2500 of which probably 500 were accountants.

To give you an idea, we got an invite on 80 points in 2 days, where if you were to submit on 8 points today you looking at around 8 months wait. This is very variable and totally up to DHA. 

My best advice is to get your stuff assessed, and launch with as many points as soon as possible. This isnt going to get easier.

@TeeTMI @Piet1234

When do you become 33 and when do you expect to get 8 years experience?

I turn 33 on 10 September. I started my articles in 2010, so I am currently in my 8th year working since then. Not sure how they calculate it? Does it have to be completed years? I assume so.

This is extremely confusing and seems near impossible as I don't see how one is able to get more than 75 points?

One thing to bear in mind, as mentioned by TeeTMI, this is based on current SkillSelect rounds, where they are taking 800 per round of which only 45ish are accountants.

How many rounds are done per year?

Do I get my PTE results immediately on the day of the assessment?

If so then I can submit everything next week to CAANZ.

However I don't want to spend money on all these assessments if it is already a hopeless case only having 75 points? :(

12 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

I turn 33 on 10 September. I started my articles in 2010, so I am currently in my 8th year working since then. Not sure how they calculate it? Does it have to be completed years? I assume so.

You start today and work backwards.

But there is a catch... They only count work experience post qualification ie) After the point they believe your studies match the Aus equivalent of an Accountant.

So for (hypothetical) example: If you didn't have a degree and somehow did three years articles and then became a CA member after them. Then your articles wont count towards your work experience only the experience after becoming a CA.

But if you did something like: B.Acc (4 years) OR B.Com (accounting) 3years + B.com Honores Accouintg (1year) prior to your article then at that point you meet the Aus skills level and all paid work experience (if relevant) will count.

My wife, for example did B.Com and B.Com Hons, and then did CIMA about 5 years after she worked, they counted her work experience from after the degree and ignored CIMA.

25 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

This is extremely confusing and seems near impossible as I don't see how one is able to get more than 75 points?

My wife was very lucky, she got 30 points for age, 20 for english, 15 for degree, and worked for 9 years straight out of University for a large corporate company as accountant. So at 32 years and 4 months she had 80 points, but yes getting 75+ points isn't easy. There are some other ways to boost points:

5 Points: State Sponsorship: Check our New South Wales State Sponsorship Page, last year they were sponsoring Accoutants 

5 Points: Spouse? If you are married/de facto partnership and your partner has a degree in an occupation on the same list as Accounting  your partner may be able to add 5 points.

27 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

How many rounds are done per year?

Two a month, two weeks apart. Usually 1st and 3rd Wednesday (could be 2nd and 4th) at 00h00 Sydney time, so around 1pm/2pm SA time on Tuesday.

29 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

No idea, didn't do PTE. I think it is a few days but could be mistaken.

@Piet1234

At the start of 2010 I had obtained my BCom Accounting (3 years)

However I was doing my BCom Accounting Honours (CTA) (1 Year) at the same time as my first year articles. - Based on your example I'm worried now that they would discount 2010 as a year of work experience?

I've already looked at the spouse 5 points. My wife has an honours degree however there isn't an association like SAICA with which it can be easily assessed/confirmed/vetted.

5 Points: State Sponsorship: Check our New South Wales State Sponsorship Page, last year they were sponsoring Accoutants 

We were looking at Brisbane as we have family there - so I'm assuming this wouldn't help with that goal right?

4 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

However I was doing my BCom Accounting Honours (CTA) (1 Year) at the same time as my first year articles. - Based on your example I'm worried now that they would discount 2010 as a year of work experience?

As I understand it, Australia doesn't recognise honours - only Bachelors and Masters.

The starting point would be to get a skills assessment done. The Skills assessment will state how many years experience you can claim for and which qualifications you can claim for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cherryford said:

I am not the assessment authority so they may have other ideas, but from my own research, to get a positive skills assessment you need to meet 7 out of 9 core competency areas. One of those areas where a lot of people fall short is Financial Accounting, and it is the Fin Accounting Subject in the B.Com Honors that meets the requirement not the B.Comm Accounting.

So yes I would think they would not count that first year article. 

PS: I may be wrong, like I said these people seem to do things on a whim. There are 3 assessment bodies for accounting and from what I have read you could submit the same case to two of them and get two different results.

Unfortunately you will never know 100% until you have submitted your papers to them to assess. So I wouldn't get too down until you have done that.

9 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

I've already looked at the spouse 5 points. My wife has an honours degree however there isn't an association like SAICA with which it can be easily assessed/confirmed/vetted.

Whats her degree in? Have you checked the Aus Skilled Ocupation list? That list will show who the people are who assess her degree.

12 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

We were looking at Brisbane as we have family there - so I'm assuming this wouldn't help with that goal right?

You would need to live in NSW for two years, although I just checked NSW website and their State Sponsorship is closed at the moment, you can look at Queensland State Sponsorship if they do accounting, if recall from last year they didnt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyIsland said:

As I understand it, Australia doesn't recognise honours - only Bachelors and Masters.

This is not true per se.

My wife has B.com Accounting, and B.com (hons) accounting. It is the honours year that brings the SA 3 year degree in line with most of the overseas universities whose bachelors are 4 years long.

11 minutes ago, HappyIsland said:

The starting point would be to get a skills assessment done. The Skills assessment will state how many years experience you can claim for and which qualifications you can claim for.

I agree with this, up until you have submitted your papers and the assessment authority comes back with a result, then everything here is speculation and based on various example cases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cherryford said:

I got my results the next day - wrote at 12pm, got results at about 11pm next day

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

@HappyIsland how did you do?

any advice for the day? 

Proper microphone placement? Worst question types to prep for? Managing with other people speaking around you?

Microphone advice : place it as far away from your mouth as possible, you get unlimited time to adjust and test the sound. Reduce the pop sounds so that your spoken voice is as clear as possible.
I had to get top marks too - I found the repeat sentence and describing the graph sections the most challenging.

I took the ptepractice tests twice and made sure I scored consistently above 79.

I wrote more than once, I found writing the test with others talking while you're trying to repeat a long sentence extremely challenging, although YMMV.
The least busy times are Wed or Thurs in the middle of the day - most people write early in the morning, so book for later if you can.

I got 90 (listening), 90 (Reading), 86 (Speaking) and 89 ( Writing) after my 3rd attempt - others were usually with speaking just below 79. English is my second language. My wife managed to score 90 in all 4 categories by just doing PTE practice once, but English is her first language.

The best prep advice I have is to watch the E2 Pte channel on youtube, even if you just watch a few clips tonight:

PTE Speaking: Repeat Sentence
PTE Speaking: Describe Image

PTE Listening: Write from Dictation

PTE Writing: Summarize Written Text

PTE Writing: Write Essay

Edited by HappyIsland
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cherryford said:

@HappyIsland how did you do?

any advice for the day? 

Proper microphone placement? Worst question types to prep for? Managing with other people speaking around you?

@Cherryford We did our PTE tests (results in 48 hours - Edenvale centre) in February and we were lucky because apart from myself and my husband, there was only one lady. (Tuesday) I think there are 8 computers in the room.  

My tips in no specific order:

- prepare a few sentence intro because this is the first thing you need to do when your time starts 

- practice describe image, to me this was most challenging (memorize things like.."this graph refers to etc... ", sentences that you can use whichever graph you get (there are quite a few!) 

- don't "uhmm" at all cost as this will affect your fluency marks (as long as you slowly keep talking without any pauses you should be ok!)

- we bought a sample Platinum tests from https://ptepractice.com/ (I would highly recommend doing it) 

- I would also recommend watching E2 PTE channel 

...can't think of anything else right now:):)  

Edited by Justyna
  • Thanks 1