EOI pool with 60 points

JTurley

Question

Hi all,

So, i see that at the moment 189 visas are up there for the 70 pointers.

Help me understand something please my wonderful peeps?

I am not qualified yet, but will be a qualified special needs teacher by end of the year, with 60 points.

Special needs teachers are not a high demand skill/pro rata skill (like IT, accountants, engineers) who DEF need 70 points. 

They allocate approx 1000 spots for SN teachers each year and so far only 6 have been invited. What i'm trying to understand is...when your EOI is submitted, are you competing against EVERYONE for your 189 invite or in my case , would i just be competing against other special needs teachers? For example, if i am the only special needs teacher in the pool at 60 points not competing with any other special needs teachers in the world - would i get an invite? or are there other factors i'm fighting against?

SHED SOME LIGHT xxx

2 answers to this question

4 hours ago, JTurley said:

Hi all,

So, i see that at the moment 189 visas are up there for the 70 pointers.

Help me understand something please my wonderful peeps?

I am not qualified yet, but will be a qualified special needs teacher by end of the year, with 60 points.

Special needs teachers are not a high demand skill/pro rata skill (like IT, accountants, engineers) who DEF need 70 points. 

They allocate approx 1000 spots for SN teachers each year and so far only 6 have been invited. What i'm trying to understand is...when your EOI is submitted, are you competing against EVERYONE for your 189 invite or in my case , would i just be competing against other special needs teachers? For example, if i am the only special needs teacher in the pool at 60 points not competing with any other special needs teachers in the world - would i get an invite? or are there other factors i'm fighting against?

SHED SOME LIGHT xxx

The quotas provided for different occupations are the maximum number of places available.  They government is not actively trying to find this number of people.   So in your case whether 0 or 950 SN teachers had applied would in theory make no difference to your likelihood of an invite (in reality if 950 SN teachers had been invited it is likely that the occupation would by that time be on the pro-rata list by that time). 

It is the points that are relevant for the 189 visa. 

Edited by TeeTMI

Hi!

Unfortunately you are in the pool with EVERYONE.....Every two weeks or so they take in the people with the most points, and move down....80;75;70 etc...they will take EVERYONE in the 80 pool, then everyone in the 75 pool and then only everyone in the 70 pool.. (unless a pro rated occupation). So even if you submit a EOI of 60 points way before a person with 75 points, the person with 75 points will get their invite first. 

The department has been down scaling ALOT over the last few months on the number of invites they release....from about 1500 per round to 300 per round for the last few months. Not sure why..some of us on this forum think it's because they are trying to clear a back log on visa applications (OR we hope so). Meaning they haven't touched people with even 65 points in months. 

If you can, try get more points for your english test if you don't have full points yet (take pearsons instead of ielts - you may have better luck with them)...see if you can claim points for your spouse....

Best of luck for the future and congrats on coming so far in your studies! :ilikeit:

2 hours ago, TamLovesRic said:

...see if you can claim points for your spouse....

Hi there, when submitting your EOI, is there a place where you can earn points for your spouse based on the skill and English results?

We aren't quite at that stage of the process yet.

Thanks

21 hours ago, nyevfby said:

Hi there, when submitting your EOI, is there a place where you can earn points for your spouse based on the skill and English results?

We aren't quite at that stage of the process yet.

Thanks

Hi :) Yes there is a place where you can earn points for your spouse - the catch is that they need to have a listed occupation eg. plumber...electrician..teacher....nurse....

If it is not listed you can't earn points. For example, I have a degree in Finance and Aus doesn't really care - lol. And I'm pretty sure you have to get their skills assessed as well..(only 80%sure)...which can be costly BUT worth it if you can get extra points and that's going to get you an invite. If you already have 70+ points and are not in a pro rata'd occupation I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

You don't earn points for your spouses' english unfortunately...but you do need to prove they have competent english.