Importing Motor Vehicle into Australia

netorius77

Hope this is not off-topic! 

We became Australian Citizens then moved back to RSA for work reasons. We are now looking at returning to Australia after 5 years away and wondering if I can take my 4x4 back to Australia with me, and what duties/taxes I would be required to pay. Any ideas?

@netorius77

I found the following link for you, I hope you will find the information there that you need. If not, make contact with them directly to ask your questions. Laws change all the time, so you want to know that you are following the correct path!

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

• Thanks 1

We briefly looked into it two years ago before we moved over and concluded that unless it's a collector's car, it's not really worth it. But find out from the state where you intend to stay, that should give you a solid answer. And try email, it might take long but they get back to you.

Be careful with this. Cars sold in south africa are often of a lower EU emissions specification than locally which means you will sit with a car that is technically not roadworthy in Australia. My mate imported his Audi Q7 and was only told it doesn't meet regulations when it got here. 

Had to go through massive processes with approvals taking months just to get it registered here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the replies - I will look further into it, but obviously environmental emissions would kill it if it did not comply so probably not worth the risk...