489 to a 887

veinkamerer

Question

Anyone that went on a 489 regional skilled visa and applied for 887 pr. Did you have any difficulties and/or issues being on a 489 and then converting to a 887. Positives and negatives please. Thank you. 

9 answers to this question

I am on a 489 visa and will be applying for an 887 later this year. I also follow a forum that discusses issues around the 887 visa. It certainly seems to be quite an easy process confirming proof of employment and living in a regional area for the required period plus the normal standard identification process. I have not seen any rejected yet once applicants have achieve the basic conditions. Certainly an easier process than applying for the 489 visa or any other skilled visa. The only problem seems to be the waiting period after application, which takes between 5 to 7 months if all docs are in place.

Love the name "TakeItOnTheChin"! 

Yes, thank you for the reply. What forum is it that we can follow regarding the 887 proses? And secondly my main concern  at this point is,  if you get sponsored by a state , but when immigrating,  you go to another regional area in a different state and follow all the rules required by the 489, would there be any issues when applying for the 887?

Hi veinkamerer, 

I follow the site below which has a section called '887 what's the update' where expats on 489 visas talk about their process in applying for 887 visas. it does have a lot of info and I have created my own extensive list in preparation for my PR application later this year.

https://www.pomsinadelaide.com/topic/32087-887-visa-whats-the-update/?page=687

The interesting thing about the 489 visa is that when you actually receive your visa it does not restrict you to only the regional area that invited you, it allows you to work and live in all the regional areas allocated in the throughout Australia, all of which are outside the main metropolitan areas. The legislation covers that and you are not restricted and indicates all post codes in which you may live and work. In my case I was invited to 1 particular regional area in NSW (which has about 7 regional areas) and moved to the regional area next to it because that had better work opportunities. I got legal advice on that before I made that decision. I have many friends that has applied and received their 887 visas without any hassle after having moved to different regions, or living in multiple regions. Check the link below for more issues relative to 489 to 887

http://www.australiavisa.com/immigration-news/from-a-489-to-a-887-visa/

Hope this helps and happy to help along the way

The name TakeItOnTheChin I felt was ideal, because getting to Oz means you have to take a few shots along the way, that is just part of the process of getting a visa. Just get back on the horse when the going gets tough

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin

Hi TakeItOnTheChin

Hope you are well. 

I am jumping on your chat year. My plans for the 189 is not working out as planned and the 489 South Australia has just opened. I take from your conversation above and my research that the if you live in the regional are for 2 years and work for 1 year you can apply for the 887 to convert to PM. Does this 1 year work mean you have to work in the skill you have been nominated in. Obviously I will attempt but if I need to feed my family I dont want to be pushed to look for work in 1 area. 

Then the second question I have for you being on 489. How does it differ in terms of benefits for PR. I heard the medical care is not coverd and school fees...do I have to get own medical aid? is it very expensive ? 

Hi Philip. The nice thing about the 489 is that you're not restricted to a specific job. The other thing is that you or the wife can apply for the 887 PR after the 2 years and not only the main applicant.

For question no 2, I'm not sure what all the differences are, but we have to get private health insurance and some states do offer free (or low cost) government schooling.

4 hours ago, Philip84 said:

Hi TakeItOnTheChin

Hope you are well. 

I am jumping on your chat year. My plans for the 189 is not working out as planned and the 489 South Australia has just opened. I take from your conversation above and my research that the if you live in the regional are for 2 years and work for 1 year you can apply for the 887 to convert to PM. Does this 1 year work mean you have to work in the skill you have been nominated in. Obviously I will attempt but if I need to feed my family I dont want to be pushed to look for work in 1 area. 

Then the second question I have for you being on 489. How does it differ in terms of benefits for PR. I heard the medical care is not coverd and school fees...do I have to get own medical aid? is it very expensive ? 

You do not have to work in the same occupation and your spouse or secondary applicant can become the main applicant if it is easier for her to get the 1 year of work done. School fees (public/state) are covered and you do not have to pay but you will need to get private medical cover until you apply for the 887 PR.

Nothing wrong with this visa at all, some people spend too much time hoping for the 189 which is becoming more and more difficult.

• Like 1

thanks allot for the reply 

Just to confirm then the kids would also be covered on 489? How does the private med aid compare cost wise ?  

Yip, as I understand it. Try this website. Got it from a Aussie friend. Very helpful.         finder.com.au

On 7/9/2018 at 3:41 AM, Philip84 said:

Hi TakeItOnTheChin

Hope you are well. 

Hi there,

I have been in Qld for just over a year now, on a 489. I have taken out medical insurance on BUPA and they've been good. Generally we don't see a doctor or have the need for medical treatment a lot. Recently we went to the dentist for a checkup and clean etc (what an Oral Hygienist would do in SA) and thank God the dentist in the town I  live in had just become Preferred Providers for BUPA, meaning my kids were free and I had a substantial discount on my treatment! We all 3 had xrays too... it could have been over $500 but it ended up being a little over $100. 

Re Schooling, I would not dream ofsending my kids to the state school here. They go to the local CAtholic school which is really good, particularly when it comes to discipline, which is good. It's a lovely school. I have to pay for it though, but like I said, the local state school is not an option.