"Gewone Salaristrekker"

bienkie

Hi all

Rodz - Bunnings is a HUGE hardware store. We frequent it often and that is where Des has bought most of the tools he has aquired. They even sell curtains! Was there yesterday as Des is building a biltong dryer!

Ernie - Most salaries are paid weekly or fortnightly. (but you know that I'm sure)

We had to pay a full month in advance as Bond (deposit) maybe you could adjust yours. I have heard that you could make an arrangement to pay it off.

Medical - Depending on the visa your on you will be eligible for Medicare, that covers most of the cost for doctors and hospital. Medicine and detal etc is for your account. If you are on a PR visa you might want to look at getting a "top up" medical aid. That should not cost too much. About $100 to 200 per month depending.

Life insurance - Your Supa fund should have at least $100 000 on life cover with an option to increase that at a minimal payment per month (my husbands supa has)

Vehicle insurance - I did the excersize and for us RACQ was the cheapest and had what we require at the moment that worked out $400 per year for both vehicles as one in on Thirdparty fire and theft only as it's a small old car that cost us just $600, we don't want to be liable for the other guys damage however. The theft part...... very unlikely here in Brisbane.

We have not yet done our licences as we're on 457 and it's not neccessary (in Queensland) until we get the PR. If I remember correctly it was about $80 per person. And rather easy as far as I understand.

Vehicle registration - REGO is what they call it here. If you buy a vehicle without a safety certificate you have to get one, that is about $100 then the rego (for 6 or 12 month periods you have an option, we did 6 months as cash was a bit tight) and the stampduty on the sale price. The little car cost us $315 and the Holden $340.

We are renting so do not pay for waste removal etc.

I believe you should live comfortable with your budget, even be able to save a bit once all the major expenses are out of the way. We're here for just over 5 months and have mannaged to save a bit already. We have also been able to go out and get take aways dvd's etc without breaking the bank. We arived in Aus from Seychelles so only have very summery clothes and have had to buy quite a lot of extras.

So there you are, hope it helps. Ask if you need more info will be glad to assist.

Bear in mind that we live in Brisbane and this is a very large country and costs change. My son and his wife live in Bunbury just south of Perth and their budget's very similar. He's even gone and bought a Nissan Patrol to go 4x4 on the beach. They did over extend themselves a bit with that one but he says it's worth the budgetting!! At 24 life's good!

See ya

Nilo

Hi Nilo,

Thanks a mil for the info! It helped in closing the "GAP".

Thanks

Ernie

Hi JJ

Ons bly in Sydney NSW. Soos die ander sĂȘ, dit hang baie van jou lewenstyl af, maar 85k nadat super annuation afgetrek is, behoort genoeg te wees. Probeer dus vir 95000$ (super annuation ingesluit) onderhandel. Vir 'n 3 - 4slp huis met 2 badkamers betaal jy in die Hills area so tussen 400$ - 550$ 'n week. Ons huur 'n 3 slaapkamer, 2 badkamer vir 430$ per week.

Laat weet maar as jy nog vrae het!

Groete van huis tot huis

Tania

:ilikeit: Hi Tania

Baie dankie, dit help baie.

Soos ek verneem (ek ken darem een ou daar waar ek gaan werk), is die huishuur darem so 'n bietjie goedkoper, want dis redelik uit die stad uit.

Sal jou laat weet as ek nog vrae het.

Groetnis

JJ

• 4 weeks later...

HI

Julle sal dit maak. Al wat ek voor bietjie versigtig sal wees is dat jou man `n oorbruggings toetse ens sal moet doen, om sy kwalifikasie erken te kry.

Maar as julle eers $ verdien sal dit goed gaan. Moet net nie skuld in SA los nie. Julle gaan al die geld wat julle kan nodig he.

R30 000 vir vliegtuig kaartjies. R10 000 vir 2 weke in `n apartment as julle hier aankom R25 000 vir `n ou kar (dalk `n luuksheid) maar hoe anders gaan julle al die meubels wat julle kan optel langs die pad, en by die op shop goedkoop kry by die huis kry?

Budget vir kruideniers ware 2 keer meer as in SA. Als is duurder. Ek het `n vriendin wat nou al vir 3 maande op `n matras slaap en geleende banke het, en sy wil nog nie terug gaan nie. So enige iets is moontlik!!!