Melbourne activation what to see

Husky

Hi there,

So we are activating our PR visas in a few weeks with a whirlwind 4 day trip to Melbourne (1 day either side spent traveling). Yes, I know it is a little mad. Will be making the permanent move at the end of the year. Reasons for very short visit now are:

1. Daughter writing matric and her final exams end a week after our required entry date;

2. My husband and I both consult/ freelance, so basically earn R0 if we are not working. Trying to save as much as possible so taking more than a week not an option right now;

3. We got a great Qantas deal for flights, but means that it is slightly out of season, so kids missing a few days of school.

Our plans are to go to some scheduled interviews on day 1; visit the university in Burwood, schools and surrounding suburbs on day 2; and do some touristy things on days 3 and 4. It is really important to us that our kids (aged 18 and 13) have an amazing time and get excited about our big move. They are good kids who enjoy physical activity and fun entertainment. Any suggestions on things we could do in or around the city? We are staying in an AirBnB in Southbank and will be using public transport, except for the one day visiting the suburbs.

P.S. We get that the weather is likely to be grey and wet. That's ok! We'll bring umbrellas.

• Like 2

Sorry for the non answer, but I saw a melbourne groupon that gives entry to a few places.

Can't remember which though, and maybe what caught my eye might be a bit "young" for your kids.

But maybe google something like multiple entry/ tickets or maybe browse groupon melbourne. You never know what pops up. 

There was a Lindt chocolate experience a while ago for quite cheap.

(Also dependent on what you like, you know... Strings come in all sorts of lengths :P:D)

• Like 1

If you have a wish to see Koalas and Kangeroos, then head to Healesville Sanctuary. You can go there on a bus trip. If you go there do ensure that you watch the "birds of prey" show!

https://www.zoo.org.au/healesville

Eureka Skydeck, has a glass deck that slides out - breathtaking

http://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/Melbourne/Things-to-do/Art-theatre-and-culture/Architecture-and-design/Eureka-Skydeck-88.aspx

Scienceworks - if your kids are into that - it is interactive and good fun

http://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/Melbourne/Things-to-do/Art-theatre-and-culture/Museums/Scienceworks.aspx

All kids like roller coasters and rides!

http://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/Melbourne/Things-to-do/Leisure-activities/Luna-Park-Melbourne.aspx

• Like 1

The CBD has a variety of attractions - depends what the kids like. 

You will be able to walk around the CBD - there are laneways, museums of various types, china town, big shops, theatres.  Aquarium.

Walks/ boats along the river.  

Tourist Information - is close to Flinders Street Station

http://www.visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Melbourne/Things-to-do

I love the cafe culture and arty farty vibe of Melbourne, but the weather was pretty miserable each time I visited.  Take a THICK jacket - it can get incredibly cold, no matter what time of year you go, especially when there is a wind involved too... My last visit was during October and I was freezing! The wind was off the charts!

Lots of little malls and laneways - many with amazing grafitti (great for photos!) There are visitor guides (people) everywhere near the CBD.  If I recall correctly, they wear red jackets... There is a city circle tram (free) that you could hop on and off at the various places to see.  There is a massive information centre at Federation Square across Flinders station.  Make that your first stop - they're very helpful and there are heaps and heaps of maps & brochures!

• Like 1

Thank you @wonderer @Mara  @TeeTMI and @Riekie

Great advice and ideas. Yes, they love animals, scary stuff, shopping and roller coasters. Starting to get very excited. Normally like to just go with the flow but with such limited time, will need to choose carefully.

There is also Luna park in St Kilda - and little penguins can be seen at dawn/dusk coming in to their nests at the pier - but would be chilly at this time of year.

And Melbourne Zoo.

Edited by TeeTMI
  • Like 1

Some good ideas have been suggested there :)

As far as weather, invest in great windbreakers and you will be sorted. Even the thickest jacket will allow the cold wind through, but a warm layer with a windbreaker over it is the bomb in Melbourne :)

• Like 2

Visit Sydney opera house. No jacket required.

Edited by SimpleSimon

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2017 at 9:28 PM, SimpleSimon said:

Visit Sydney opera house. No jacket required.

:jester:

@Husky Please give feedback on the trip... When will you be going?

@wonderer Does Oz still have Groupon? It was my favorite, had to settle for Hyperli now...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Duke1989 said:

@wonderer Does Oz still have Groupon? It was my favorite, had to settle for Hyperli now...

jip!

https://www.groupon.com.au

It seems quite active, even the smaller cities

Like always you have to do your homework and read the fine print and not just throw money around....:cowboy:

Edited by wonderer
  • Like 1

I just looked at Groupon for the first time now... Looks like awonderful tool if used prudently. I'm curous to see if I'll use it in the next few months. (the website and app look good)

• Like 1

Leaving on Tuesday evening for our activation trip and all very excited.

With all the changes by home affairs regarding travelling with kids, I am unsure what the latest rules are regarding unabridged birth certificates and certified copies of parents passports. We are all travelling together, so do we still need certified copies of travel documents? If yes, which ones?

Relates only to my son who is 13. 

We travelled with our passports and the original unabridged B cert. No copies of anything. We have the birth certificates in ziplock type bags to protect them

Butterflies? 

Its a pity we can't meet up, but I'm sure its going to be marvellous

• Like 1

Butterflies ...... An entire kaleidoscope.

Will WhatsApp you when we settle. Thank you @wonderer

Edited by Husky

On 7/21/2017 at 6:28 AM, RedPanda said:

I just looked at Groupon for the first time now... Looks like awonderful tool if used prudently. I'm curous to see if I'll use it in the next few months. (the website and app look good)

I used them allot here, pity they closed down. About half our "date nights", holidays and birthdays was planed with Groupon. 

Glad to see it is still working in Auz. 

Edited by Fidjet
  • Like 1

Whilst I'm in question mode, out of interest, are there any specific Australian foods and/ or restaurants that you would recommend we try? Something particularly Australian. 

Hi @Husky

I hope you have a great  trip to Australia. 

We went for a long weekend holiday to Melbourne a couple months ago and we did the Yarra  wine tour. It was great.  It goes from the city through the suburbs and on to very pretty area so you get to see a lot. 

We constantly use Groupon for a little getaways, lunches, massages and so on.

Melbourne weather in winter is not that great so prepare yourself with warm jackets and thermal underwear.

It gets dark early in the evening  and stays dark till relatively late in the morning. It is also often grey and drizzles.

We emigrated to Melbourne in July from Johannesberg and thought that we had arrived in hell.

If you look past the weather though you will see a wonderful city with warm people and amazing nightlife in the CBD.

• Like 1

The most Australian meal you can have is to go to an RSL bistro. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

Thank you @SimpleSimon

Wine ..... Mmmmm 

@Husky How has your trip gone?

Will write down the whole experience in my journal when we get back early next week. What I will say is this ........ We all LOVE Melbourne :wub:

It feels like home.

• Like 3

I'm so glad you liked it :D 

• Like 1