Any packing tips?

ChrisH

Question

So our move is coming tomorrow!

I've seen some suggestions here and there wrt packing.  Lets get a list of good practices together for guys going through this.

• Remove printer cartridges and put them in ziploc bags.
  • Remove all batteries from remotes/clocks/etc.

Does anybody know if a bigger battery will be fine?  I have a UPS that I'd like to take, should I remove that battery as well?

On 2017-5-26 at 9:48 PM, miles said:

For electric appliances, are you rewiring everything, or just buying a crapload of adapters? 

We feel the adaptor approach is rather temporary and this is a permanent move, so we got a few adaptors for the immediate needs, then got onto rewiring asap. It's not hard, get a bunch of Aussie plugs and just take an hour or so and rewire everything you can get your hands on. I also love the fact that Aussie two-pins go straight in the wall socket.

• Like 1

They packed just over half our stuff today. I'm very bad at estimations, but starting to wonder if it has happened to anyone were they ended up not fitting everything into the 20ft?

4 hours ago, wonderer said:

They packed just over half our stuff today. I'm very bad at estimations, but starting to wonder if it has happened to anyone were they ended up not fitting everything into the 20ft?

You end up with a mattress and washing machine on the lawn, giving it away to the first person who will take it because you don't have any options.

Happened to us, but only once. Not pleasant.

On 24/05/2017 at 5:44 PM, CazK said:

Hi @Riekie, what reason did they give for destroying your table?

They had a concern about wood borers due to it being antique... We did bring in other antiques though, so not sure why specifically this one.

8 hours ago, DXB2OZ said:

Happened to us, but only once. Not pleasant.

How many containers have you shipped? :)

Thanks, will see that they pack the most important things first. Then we'll assess whether to consider groupage or move cube for the rest, but would rather not....

They'll finish packing today, I'm concerned about all the empty amo boxes and plastic drawers that could have been utilised for other things......

On 5/27/2017 at 1:36 AM, Mara said:

Just a word of advice for those planning on changing their plugs, I know it is a general thing in RSA, as nothing, in my time, was sold with a plug, you had to supply your own. In Australia, nothing is sold without a plug, as that would be illegal. Due to this, you are supposed to get an electrician to change the plugs, please do not start laughing, that is actually a true statement. Now I know you are not going to do this, but let me leave this with you. Please know what you are doing, BECAUSE, if for any reason, a fire is started, by an appliance on which you changed the plug, then your insurance will not pay out, unless you can show a certificate from a licensed electrician that you had it professionally done. Now that you wonder how they would know that, is because the plugs you buy at Bunnings do not look anything like the plugs that come with the appliances in Australia, as these are molded together with the cord so that they can not be opened.

So adapters are fine from an insurance perspective?

2 hours ago, TamTam said:

So adapters are fine from an insurance perspective?

Not sure, but I can tell you that transformer plugs are bulky and you won't be able to use them everywhere. 

Oki doki - done!

How did the packing going Chris?

They are here now packing up my house! Exciting!