Any packing tips?

ChrisH

Question

So our move is coming tomorrow!

I've seen some suggestions here and there wrt packing.  Lets get a list of good practices together for guys going through this.

• Remove printer cartridges and put them in ziploc bags.
  • Remove all batteries from remotes/clocks/etc.

Does anybody know if a bigger battery will be fine?  I have a UPS that I'd like to take, should I remove that battery as well?

@miles it may sound as if I am over reacting, but just imagine this, you are in a rental home, for which you do not pay building insurance.. so if there was, by the slimmest chance, to be a fire, started by one of the appliances that you changed the plug on, the insurance company could be arguing with the owner about paying.. just guess where they would be trying to collect their money? Also make sure that if you do get in an electrician, that you tell him you will need a copy of his "A" Grade License, before he commences the work. He will also have to list, by item, the plugs he changed, not just a statement of 15 plugs!

I know someone in the insurance game that warned me about this... not something we ever think of!

• Like 1

Our agents are happy with our camping battery box, which has large ups type batteries. We are however able to disconnect them from one another...

(Dont think i answered you question, sorry)

What i would also like to know:

In the container: if they are unhappy with anything, you need to pay to get it cleaned or destroyed.

On the plane: are they as strict? For instance will the check the shoes in your bag or on your feet? Will they just confiscate or will you also pay for clean or destroy? 

My container is being packed on Thursday - yikes! It has been a rough few weeks getting sorted.

This may seem dumb but why should I take printer cartridge out? I had not even thought along those lines....

To be safe, I have removed all batteries from toys, remotes and torches. We have remote control cars that have rechargable batteries and I have disconnected them but not sure whether to pack them or toss them and buy on the other side....

@wonderer when we traveled to Oz last year, not one of us 5 had our shoes checked. An Australian friend of mine joked that you should wear your muddiest shoes on the plane and then they will be removed and cleaned and returned to you so you get a free clean! Not that I would chance it! :D

• Like 1

@LouiseMark,

If your shoes are dirty, they don't clean them, they incenrate them and send you the bill, because, well someone has to do the work and at $19 am hour min wage, expect a bill. Welcome to Australia!

Good call on the batteries, I'd also just check that you can get printer cartrigages for your printer here, years ago I bought a printer in the US, same model as SA, but used special US only cartigages! When you put the local ones in it presented an error saying it wasn't recognizable.

Also, you never know why they are going to look at, they cut open boxes of clothes, linen etc, but left the box of cow hides, skulls etc (though we did have paperwork for them). 

Cheers

Matt

16 hours ago, wonderer said:

In the container: if they are unhappy with anything, you need to pay to get it cleaned or destroyed.

On the plane: are they as strict? For instance will the check the shoes in your bag or on your feet? Will they just confiscate or will you also pay for clean or destroy? 

If you choose not to keep it you don't pay for it to be destroyed. We had an antique rosewood table that was destroyed and we did not pay anything. There is a charge to have it treated. (Apparently nowadays you have to pay for it to be destroyed too...  They must have gotten tired of all the stuff people pack in their containers which were not allowed).

They don't check your shoes on your feet or in your luggage on arrival unless you come form a high risk area such as freshwater lakes or a high risk country - but you declare that on your incoming passenger card, so if it doesn't apply to you, it won't be checked. Sometimes, for certain flights from high risk disease areas and during times of things such as mad cow disease they will have a liquid you step in with your shoes on on your way through customs (very shallow, so literally only the soles).   

If you're packing your container, just make sure there's no obvious soil or plant material stuck on your shoes.

Don't freak out about it too much.

This is what has to be declared on the incoming passenger card:

https://www.border.gov.au/EnteringorleavingAustralia/Documents/english-ipc-sample.pdf

• Like 1

I had a small consignment that arrived in Brisbane earlier this year, they charged me $50 to have a small damn camel destroyed, quite a cheek. It was some ridiculous price to have it treated. I just laughed

30 minutes ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

I had a small consignment that arrived in Brisbane earlier this year, they charged me $50 to have a small damn camel destroyed, quite a cheek. It was some ridiculous price to have it treated. I just laughed

Wow!  Things must have changed then...  Back in my day it was free. B)

3 hours ago, Riekie said:

We had an antique rosewood table that was destroyed

Hi @Riekie, what reason did they give for destroying your table?

@AFreshStart my buddy was simply taking the mickey regarding shoes.

So let the fun begin! Container being packed tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 9:49 PM, LouiseMark said:

This may seem dumb but why should I take printer cartridge out?

They can leak so you want them in separate bags.

It went very well, surprised at how quick it went.

They pack so cleverly! Packers were here from 10am to 4pm. and so much is packed! Back tomorrow for the last stretch and the container arrives around 1pm. Then I can sit back for a while! It's been madness as I am still working and had to take 2 days off for this!

24 minutes ago, LouiseMark said:

had to take 2 days off for this

I quit my job for this! :D

• Like 3

Sigh.....i still have 5 weeks left of work...:wacko: just want to go now! I did this pack on my own as hubby is in Sydney already. Me and 3 kids ........madness!

• Like 1

Hectic @LouiseMark!  My wife still had to work until today but I could at least phone her up with last minute questions, can't imagine doing it all by yourself!

can I still ask advice?

Kitchen tins with slight rust corrosion or something (ever so slightly) around the rims??

Shall I try to get it through?

For electric appliances, are you rewiring everything, or just buying a crapload of adapters? 

5 hours ago, miles said:

For electric appliances, are you rewiring everything, or just buying a crapload of adapters? 

We might do the controversial SA multiplug just changing wall end plug. We're taking VERY few appliances though.

1 hour ago, wonderer said:

We might do the controversial SA multiplug just changing wall end plug. We're taking VERY few appliances though.

You can buy Aus plugs from Bunnings. Cut the old SA plug off and replace with the Bunnings ones, no problem. The wiring is also 3pin, same as original wiring.

@wonderer if the tins are already showing corrosion, then I would suggest you donate them and do not bring them with. If you bring any tinned food, then please ensure that customs will allow them in or it will be costly to have them destroyed. Also, six to 10 weeks packed in a container, in the sunshine, will not do much for the quality of your food in tins.

• Like 1

Just a word of advice for those planning on changing their plugs, I know it is a general thing in RSA, as nothing, in my time, was sold with a plug, you had to supply your own. In Australia, nothing is sold without a plug, as that would be illegal. Due to this, you are supposed to get an electrician to change the plugs, please do not start laughing, that is actually a true statement. Now I know you are not going to do this, but let me leave this with you. Please know what you are doing, BECAUSE, if for any reason, a fire is started, by an appliance on which you changed the plug, then your insurance will not pay out, unless you can show a certificate from a licensed electrician that you had it professionally done. Now that you wonder how they would know that, is because the plugs you buy at Bunnings do not look anything like the plugs that come with the appliances in Australia, as these are molded together with the cord so that they can not be opened.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mara said:

@wonderer if the tins are already showing corrosion, then I would suggest you donate them and do not bring them with. If you bring any tinned food, then please ensure that customs will allow them in or it will be costly to have them destroyed. Also, six to 10 weeks packed in a container, in the sunshine, will not do much for the quality of your food in tins.

Thanks Mara, nothing with food. Its the branded decorative kitchen tins... The ones for glen or joko tea or the flour or provita tinns that you would use for containers (on top of you cupboard) 

I know I'm a bit / very kitch and old fashioned (so don't judge please)  but we can show our kids the brands we grew up with in a few years. Still looking for a baindaid tin. Some were lovely winnie the pooh ones...

• Like 1

@wonderer All good then, and you are not alone, I also like all things old... especially the memories :D

On 5/27/2017 at 1:36 AM, Mara said:

Just a word of advice for those planning on changing their plugs, I know it is a general thing in RSA, as nothing, in my time, was sold with a plug, you had to supply your own. In Australia, nothing is sold without a plug, as that would be illegal. Due to this, you are supposed to get an electrician to change the plugs, please do not start laughing, that is actually a true statement. Now I know you are not going to do this, but let me leave this with you. Please know what you are doing, BECAUSE, if for any reason, a fire is started, by an appliance on which you changed the plug, then your insurance will not pay out, unless you can show a certificate from a licensed electrician that you had it professionally done. Now that you wonder how they would know that, is because the plugs you buy at Bunnings do not look anything like the plugs that come with the appliances in Australia, as these are molded together with the cord so that they can not be opened.

So you're saying, rather use a few adapters to get started, then call an expert in to sort me out on that side. 

I think it's just a few things I'll be taking with, Home Entertainment (TVs, XBOX), a few lamps, some kitchen appliances (not the fridge, afaik, those aren't allowed), and wife's stuff (GHD, Hair Dryer etc).