Is having run your own business?

KenMich

Is having run your own business in South Africa and advantage when looking for a job in Aus? In the same field.

Edited by KenMich

Rather say that you were self-employed or that you were an independent contractor.  Running your own business and then looking for a job would be seen as a negative in my experience.  They will think you are either going to be too big for your boots, are going to boss people around, won't stay long or (depending on the business) going to set up on your own again in the future and steal clients.  All of this is generalisation of course. Your job at an interview is to downplay having your own business and to rather focus on the skills you now have from the experience and what you can bring to their organisation. I know you are probably proud of your achievements but what makes a good business owner (independent, decisive, go getter) are not the traits that necessarily make good employees.  If you are going into say a franchise then your previous business skills would be worth highlighting but otherwise not.

• Like 4

Thank you @RYLC that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Maybe we can get an employment agent to add some input here as well. It's a tough one for me as I have done so much in the last 10 years and none of it can be formalized. I have no idea how to formulate my experience into a CV that will sell all this.

Thank you

KenMich

Edited by KenMich

What sort of jobs are you planning to apply for?  That might guide you with how to package your experience.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to re enter into the IT field, more specifically Systems/Network administrator. That's where my last formal employment ended. I don't want to aim to high off the bat. I don't mind starting lower down. I'm sure the market will soon see my enthusiasm and abilities/versatility.

Okay so if it was me I'd start reading Seek ads to get a feel for the wording and skill sets required.  It'll get repetitive and then you'll have it down.  

Linkedin will be key for networking and joining relevant groups to make connections.  Whatever you do don't go on there and ask for a job.  Rather comment on relevant articles, ask questions about projects, compare views on systems etc.  Just chit chat at first to become a "familiar face".

Also use Linkedin to find varsity mates who now live in Australia.  It will be less of a cold call to message them and ask what they are working on, any advice they could offer etc.

• Like 2

Thanks @RYLC I have been looking at Seek already and have found some jobs which seem to fit.

My LinkedIn profile has been up for some years but have I not spent much time developing it. So this may take some effort.

I have school mates in Perth so this does not help much as I need a contact/s in Adelaide.

Thanks for the advice.

@KenMich 

10 hours ago, KenMich said:

I have school mates in Perth so this does not help much as I need a contact/s in Adelaide.

You need to expand your view that this doesn't help.  Have you looked at your school mates profiles on LinkedIn to see who they are connected to? There is the concept of six degrees of separation.  It may take a contact of a contact of a contact to hook you up in Adelaide. Every connection will get you closer to a job.  Don't fall into the trap of wanting one person to have an opening that they just have to have you for. That's a "hunter" mentality.  It's a network ("gatherer mentality).  It's not a direct line so you need to use it the network way.

I would also be looking at university class mates who now live in Australia.  You may not have been friends with them but you have the migration journey in common and you never know who may pull a potential job out of their hat. School friends know you personally but fellow students are in the industry.  Big difference with targeting a lead from the network.  

So look up your alumni at university and see where it leads...

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni

• Like 2

Thanks @RYLC for the link you sent. I have done so. Found a few guys in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth but no one in Adelaide.

I will keep looking. I have done some work on my profile but I think it can still do with some work.

You can look at it if you like and let me know what you think. I'll pm it to you.

Thanks

Ken

@KenMich

Try to sparkle your story with some stories about how your skill saved the day. Lots of Sysadmins out there and as an unspoken rule, the Indian guys rule the roost in that domain. Wipro, TCS, etc are absolute masters in the managed services space, I contract a lot of this service type to them because they simply cannot be beaten. There are exceptions, I will grant that, but try to differentiate yourself.

If you focus on InfoSec, you will will definitely get noticed..

Focus on the 3 Pillars of InfoSec, Detect, Deter, Deny.

• Like 1

@KenMich

I would not say I ran my own business, if you go solo here it is assumed you have fallen off your perch. Rightly or wrongly perceived that is just how it is.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2017 at 11:30 PM, RYLC said:

Rather say that you were self-employed or that you were an independent contractor.

I think thats the key. Just tell them that to get work doing what you did, you needed to be a contractor. They need to think that being an independant contractor was a nessesary evil and not your lifes ambition.

• Like 1