Got our visas, the fun is about to start

StaalBurger

Hi everybody, 

After what feels like forever, my girlfriend and I have been granted visas, thanks to the wonderful work of Stephen Dickson. Things just got very real for us. 
We look forward to making friends on the forums, asking many questions, and learning as much as possible. 

We're from Cape Town, and we hope to settle in Melbourne. (We got state-sponsored visas for Victoria.) I'm a software developer, and my better half works in the catering and hospitality industry.

Wish us luck as we begin this new chapter. :)

• Like 7

@StaalBurger Good luck! It's been six months for us and as my wife remarked yesterday. Our only regret is that we did make the move to Aus sooner!

Welcome @StaalBurger! Congrats on getting your visa and good luck for the road ahead! We are also from Cape Town with a 190 visa from Vic. When are you guys planning on moving over? 

Thanks @CyberJoe and @CazK

I have decided to try to get a job before we move, but I don't know whether this is a realistic plan. I need to polish my CV and start spamming the Oz recruiters...

If it turns out that I need to be in Australia to get a job in Australia, I will probably make the move in about two months' time. 

Edited by StaalBurger
  • Like 1

Hi, 

Sounds similar to our timeline. Flying out to Melbourne 3 July. (Hubby also in IT)

Goodluck with the next stage / last bit. I think we are all "rollercoastered out" and just want to get things done now.

I tried the finding a job first, only received rejections. I arrived in Melbourne this week and started sending applications out yesterday. Hoping for interviews next week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eva said:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!

Thanks @Eva There is still plenty of uncertainty for us, but at least we're moving forward. :)

Edited by StaalBurger

1 hour ago, JonathanR said:

I tried the finding a job first, only received rejections. I arrived in Melbourne this week and started sending applications out yesterday. Hoping for interviews next week.

Good luck @JonathanR! Keep me posted on your experiences in Melbourne.

1 minute ago, StaalBurger said:

Thanks @Eva There is still plenty of uncertainty for us, but at least we're moving forward. :)

Wishing you every happiness in this emigration journey you are on, it has been a wonderful experience for us and we have never looked back!  All the best...