Is the Carer visa available for mental health issues

ChrisinBris

Quick question regarding the carer visa, is it available for assisting people suffering mental

health issues?

i tried to research and it mentioned scoring 30 on some health tables but I can't find those tables?

thanks in advance

It does seem to cover mental health but it seems to have to be very severe - as in one step away from being institutionalised where the person can scarcely care for themselves and there is no other service or person in Australia who can care for them.  This would be hard to get through I would think because psych wards in a hospital are available as are care places for dementia.  It would really depend what you mean by mental health.

Thanks for the link RYLC. I will definitely keep investigating this. As it's all well and good that a person can go be in a psych ward but that then leaves the spouse looking after 3 young children and unable to work. 

I appreciate that it could be a long shot, but will investigate a little more 

cheers

I think an agent may be required for an opinion on this one. I know somebody who, when faced with the possibility of the wife being hospitalised, was told that he could always stay home to look after his kids and go on Centrelink payments or if he was wealthy enough to hire an au pair. The stumbling block seemed to be about there being NO OTHER OPTION. He was told that a nanny or Childcare or going on Centrelink were all "suitable" options even if he found them unpalatable.  I think eventually her mum came over for a couple of months (just as a visitor) and then they opted to move back to RSA as it all became too hard.  Maybe @TeeTMI can weigh in?

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

Hi ChrisinBris

Obviously I cannot comment on your situation without knowing the circumstances. 

However, as RYLC and you have commented the Carer visa does include the requirement that the relative to require a significant level of care (Impairment level 30).  

And as above the care required must not "Assistance must not otherwise be reasonably provided or obtainable" there is policy surrounding this - and guidelines for DIBP officers to consider situations on a case by case basis.