Mid 40's

Peruvs72

Hi

I am new on here; just browsed through some threads and decided this would be a good place to find some answers. I am 44 years old and a father of a 14 year old girl. I was more keen to go to New Zealand as I have more family and friends there but the work opportunities seems more limited in the IT field. I live in a small town in the Eastern Cape and setup and maintain computers and networks for small businesses and private persons. In 2014 I enrolled for a Bcom (Business Informatics) degree at Unisa which I hope to finish the end of this year. My main reasons for leaving SA is 1.) my daughter's safety when she goes to varsity and if our university's degrees will mean anything in the future 2.) my business can't grow due to tenders reserved for BEE companies 3.) work opportunities for myself to upgrade my skills 4.) ever increasing inflation rate and rand getting more worthless by the second. I don't have a specific location in mind yet but are interested in Adelaide or Perth. I have a cousin in the Sunshine coast but it sounds like IT opportunities are limited there.

Welcome @Peruvs72 Guessing the 72 is 1972 ... Same year I was born.

I also suggest you move quickly as you'll lose age points when you turn 45. Not impossible, but far more difficult. There are two agents active on this forum who may be able to help you with an initial assessment: @TeeTMI and @SD_MOA 

• Like 1

Thanks , yes would have liked to get the ball rolling earlier but such is life. I'm in two minds about losing points on age but gaining on qualifications. Choices , choices.

I would not wait for the B Sc to be completed, you will not gain any points for work experience and you lose all age points.  Just have a look at how the ACS sees qualifications and experience.  You can only use work experience gained from two years after you obtained your B Sc.  You also need a B Sc plus two years work experience in a relevant field to qualify for an ACS assessment. By that time it will be too late.  There is the option of recognition of prior learning but then you require 8 years work experience if you have no qualification or 6 years if you have a non-ICT qualification. Speak to an agent ASAP.

Edited by CharlesH
  • Like 1

As Charles mentions if you are looking at a skills assessment using the ACS you need to recognise the criteria to be considered 'skilled' relating to the different options.  Plus there is a significant loss of points at the age of 45 (although you might balance that with the points for the degree if you hit that age, although if you already have points for another qualification you would still loose on balance). 

Depending upon your circumstances you might look at a combined approach - a skills assessment based upon your current background (assuming eligible) plus continuing with the degree to obtain those 15 points in case you hit 45 before a visa is granted?

Another age related issue is that many of the ICT positions are under a Pro-rata allocation and depending upon the occupation more than 60 points may be required.

• Like 1