One way flight - what to take on airplane?

Cole

We've finally got an eta for moving to Brisbane - mid-Jan 2018.  To say we're excited and relieved to finally have the date in sight, is an understatement.  We're starting to go through the motions of making to-do lists (sell, pack, do, etc).  

The idea currently is to pack up the house and send our belongings ahead with an estimated delivery for beginning Feb, we figure it'll be easier to camp out here, as we know our neighbours and can lend stuff more easily on this side to tide us over.  Hopefully we'll be able to find a rental by Feb, and can enrol the children at a relevant school for the catchment area.

My question is, what would you suggest we pack to take on the airplane (ito checked luggage) for 2 adults and two children aged 5 and 7 to tide us over until our stuff lands? We'll probably be staying in some kind of furnished accommodation until our stuff arrives or we find a rental.  I keep trying to think of things that may prove useful, since the luggage allowance seems good, but am only coming up with clothes and toiletries...should I be considering things like blow up mattresses and sealed spices or other odds and ends that may save a couple of bucks on that side/in case we find a rental fast?  Or would you suggest travelling light on the airplane?

And also, it seems a waste to buy new luggage for one big trip (we tend to travel light, did a month of LSD with hand luggage only for each of us) - can you recommend any alternatives for luggage options that won't break the bank?  I checked with IOM and they say 2 pieces of checked baggage per person up to 20 kgs each, and up till then I'd been thinking about getting a couple of those inexpensive plastic Pep zip bags but have to reconsider if it's just two each.....

Congrats on the moving date. 

We landed in Melbourne in beginning of January with a similar idea to you as timing of container. We stayed with family in SA for 1 month and we camped in our rental in Melbourne for another month (our container arrived on Thursday ). What we have found so far is that stuff (anything that can be made cheap in China) is relatively inexpensive here so getting basic stuff to camp doesn't break the bank. But in the beginning you are trying to save money so pack anything that is lighter and smaller to pack in your luggage. But only if you already own the stuff in SA I can guarantee you can get the basics here cheaper if you are buying. 

If i was doing it again I would pack the following:

towels

1 or 2 good knives (obviously pack in checked luggage)

I really missed my good pots so if you can fit in bring with

Maybe a set of sheets but check sizes of blowup mattresses here first, EVERYTHING your kids need to start school, including lunch boxes - we put most of their school things in the container which was 1 week late so we had to buy stuff for their first first week, but again only if you own the stuff already, it's relatively inexpensive here. Also my sons primary school put together a stationary pack that we had to buy anyway.

We were also lucky that we decided not to bring any appliances as ours were very old so we could buy new here so had things like tv and washing machine right in the beginning. Everyone told us appliances were also cheaper here but we found them more expensive than South Africa.

Basically think about what you would miss most if you didn't have it for 2 months and bring that if you can fit it in. It's a real life lesson seeing how little you actually need to survive really happily. We were so happy to have our container arrive but even though we culled our stuff ruthlessly before we left we still brought too much stuff. I straightaway repacked 6 boxes of things that will be stored in our shed until we have a more permanent home. 

You will also be arriving at a massive sale time and will be able to pick up some real bargains. The best shops for buying cheaper items are Kmart (my  favourite) Big W, The reject shop, Target and IKEA. Look at their prices online which will help you decide what to bring and what to send in container.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3