Degree different to skill being claimed

Hunts

Good morning,

I have been reading this forum for a few months now and appreciate all of the indirect help I have received. I have eventually decided to get the ball rolling regarding my 189 visa application.

I am a quantity surveyor with over 7 years worth of experience but the problem is that I did not study quantity surveying at university. I studied a Bachelor of Science in Property Studies at the University of Cape Town  and also did the Honours year. BSc in Property Studies is a sister degree to QS/Construction management, they are in the same university Engineering department (Construction Economics and Management) and they both cover many of the same courses over the years.

AIQS are the association that conduct the skills assessment for quantity surveyors and on their website it says the following:

The qualification requirement in Section 7.1 of our Skilled Migration Assessment Policy states that applicants must have a degree in "Quantity Surveying or Construction Management and Economics".  The interpretation of "Quantity Surveying" is defined in Section 2 of our Skilled Migration Assessment Policy.  Therefore, applicants with degrees in allied disciplines may be considered for skilled migration assessment.

This leads me to believe that my degree might qualify for the visa.

The questions I would appreciate assistance with are the following:

1. Could my work experience assist with a positive skills assessment?
  2. The AIQS Skilled Migration Assessment Policy states that employment references are required for each position held. How many references are needed? How many years do you need to go back? What if you cannot get a reference from one of your previous employers as the company no longer exists?

3. Has anyone else on this forum attempted (and perhaps suceeded) to apply for a skills assessment for a job that was not exactly that same as the degree they studied?

Thank you in advance.

• 2 months later...

My skills assessment was submitted to AIQS in December and I was told that it could take over two months to get a decision  yet a week later I received the good news that the skills assessment was positive. This proves that it is possible to get a positive skills assessment for a job on the SOL that is different to your degree.

• Like 1