Information required for arrival in Sydney

Mariushvisser

Good day All.

So, we are making the big move to Sydney on 22 January 2017. I work in the SharePoint space and my wife is an actuarial analyst at the moment.

So we are looking for jobs and doing all the research for accommodation and how to actually settle in and start a life on that side.

We have booked accommodation in a little place in dee why for the first 2 weeks of arriving in Sydney but we need to get more permanent accommodation thereafter and we obviously have a limited budget. If any advice can be given on how and where is a good place to start looking, it would really be helpful.

Also, we would need to look at getting a vehicle when we are there.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Can't wait for the move!   

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I'm not in Sydney yet so can't really give advice, but you've definitely come to the right place for brilliant help. By the way I'm an actuary so maybe I'll see your wife there at some point :)

The best websites I've found for accommodation are www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au so try those. They're both a little like property24 in SA, in that they pull in the ads from pretty much every realtor out there so you won't need to try every estate agent's website separately.

Good luck!

Hi, welcome!!!

With regards to the property sites, the prices for rentals are accurate, the photos...like all other things, take it with a pinch of salt, they manage to make stuff look wonderful without actually lying about anything, amazing...I put it down to lighting and lenses...anyway. You can get a good idea about the price ranges for suburbs from these sites. You might want to go read up on other forumites' posts about the actual inspection process, because if you are looking at a place that attracts even moderate attention it will be a bit of a shock to your system. They give you 15-30min max to inspect the property, and you will be there with a whole lot of other people, at the same time. One of our friends said in some houses they literally formed a moving line through the house! (but they were looking in the CBD, so it probably won't be that bad in most other places) We rent on the outskirts of Melbourne, and even as such every house we looked at had at least 5-7 other couples there at the same time as us. So you'll also read the advice to see the agent managing the property before the actual view date, get an application form from them and fill it out in advance, then if you go through the place and you really like it: give the filled out form to them IMMEDIATELY!

It's just takes crazy to a level unknown to us. (But you'll get out the other side fine, everyone does.) ;) 

• Like 1

HI There

Thanks, yes this forum is great!

Thanks for the links and advice. What documentation would be needed for an agent to accept your application for a house?

ie. Reference letters., payslips?  

Hi, if you are fresh of the Boeing so to speak, you will need a reference (preferably from someone in Australia), proof of fund if you don't have a pay slip yet, plus all the general ID info you need to do anything in Australia.  e.g. passport, medicare card, drivers licence.  We also downloaded our South African credit report from transunion to provide some back ground.  If you are renting in SA, a letter from your current landlord might also help.

Good luck with it all  

Hi 

Thanks, I think I am going to get the Credit report from Transunion. Sounds like a good idea.

We only have 2 weeks to get long term accommodation, so its going to be a race to find something. Can you convert your drivers license to an Australian License and whats involved? 

It takes about a week to convert. Well actually it takes about 20 minutes but then you need to wait for it to come through the post.  Doing this and Medicare if eligible in the first day or 2 is a good idea as less proof if required and it makes it easier to do everything else. 

Like many any things in Australia getting a renal works on points. You need so many points to ID your self.      Passport, bank card and drivers are a good start (keep printed copies of visa as well). Check outhttp://www.tenancycheck.com.au/tenancy-forms/rental-application-forms.dot

We took about 4 weeks to find a place and move in. But we were lucky and did not have time pressures. You will have to move it when you arrive to find something in 2 weeks so set up bank accounts and so on prior to arrival and transfer cash before you land. Mobile number will also be useful. We use amaysim as they seem to be the best prepaid option. You can pick a sim up at a Coles supermarket or get it posted to where you are staying.  

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi there,

Thank you for all the info. We will be arriving in Perth in Jan 2017. Also planning on booking about 3 weeks airbnb, then rental thereafter.

When we arrive and register for the drivers licence, medicare, bank, what address do we use? 

Please advise on what are the postal address options available - eg. private box etc. 

Thank you

I used address of our 1m furnished rental for bank and drivers licence conversion. We got reference letters from neighbour's, Chairman of HOA and real estate agent who sold our home in SA as we had no rental history. Needed a current bill like Eskom to show we were up to date. Even sent brochure from our house show day to show how well we kept the place. They usually ask for info on all adults who will stay in rental. My husband had offer of employment and I had a bank statement as I wasn't working. It's not going to be easy finding a place in 2 weeks so I'm glad we had just over 1m. Totally agree about the photos looking great but actual place a disappointment. Unfortunately many show days were on Saturday so it was difficult to get from 1 short show house to another place not so far away but takes forever due to speed limit. We often drive around a neighborhood before show times during the week so we wouldn't waste our time later if we found the place and location wasn't what we wanted. I really like the Domain app

• Like 1

Thanks all for this information. Really appreciate it.

Yes I agree, the 2 weeks we have will be a bit of a challenge. Hoping and believing it will all work out. Gonna try and get as much done on this side as possible. I see there is a lot of requirement for the rentals... 

Does anyone have any idea about a getting a car for a good price when we get there? 

Hi @Mariushvisser, there is no shortage of car sales or dealerships here in Sydney. Be it in the city or further out.

You would have to be here to see what you like and what suits your budget. Check out carsales.com.au.

If you are looking for an old cheap car just make sure its not more than 10 years old, as by law they dealer has to give you minimum years warranted with the car. 

If you buy privately this is not the case.

Thanks Yuvi. 

I see that you cant just convert your overseas license in NSW and you would need to do some knowledge test and driving test.

Does anyone know what this entails, how difficult it is and where one can get material to study if the need be?

Thank you 

Hi Mariushvisser,

I converted my South African license in a coupl of minutes. Just make sure it has at least one month left on it before it expires. You fill in a single form, they take a picture, you pay I think $330 (don't worry this is for a 10 year license so it's not too expensive) and they send you a new license in the post within a week. Super easy. They have license departments in some of the big shopping centres so it's nothing like the horrible licensing departments in SA. Clean, efficient, friendly service. :)

• Like 1

What happens when the 10 years are over?  Are you still on their system hence you just renew or do you have to renew your SA license first and then present that to them?

HI Dave

Wow, that would be great!!

Thanks for the information.

Appreciate it. :D

Hi ChrisH,

I cut up my SA's license as soon as I received my NSW license. You would just renew your NSW one after 10 years, they wouldn't ask for your SA one again. You only need an SA license to get your first issue of your Australian license. If you move interstate in Aus you can get your NSW converted to the state you're moving to for free. So don't worry about paying for the 10 year one.