Tax Tables Australia

Mara

• 3 months later...

Thank you @Mara

Trying to get my head around budget and net pay so that we are realistic ito salary expectations. Hoping to start actively job searching by the end of the month. Found this useful calculator that takes all tax into account:

http://salary.calculatorsaustralia.com.au

Just 3 questions;

1. Is superannuation like a pension and tax like PAYE?

2. Is superannuation always included in salary packages?

3. What is HELP debt?

Thanks in advance.

1. Superannuation is pension. It is calculated as 9, 5% of your gross salary, payable by your employer. If you work in private industry it is usually paid by the employer, on top of your gross wages, to your super, without any participation from you. If, however, you work in government,  insurane/banking giants, or anywhere else, where they offer you a package deal, you must check with them whether it includes your super, because if it does, then you need to divide your package deal dollars offered by 109, 5 and multiply by 100, to work out what your gross wages are.

2. Often yes for packages, but not always. Always best to ask if it is not clearly specified.

3. HELP debt is not something you will be entitled to in any way. It is the debt you owe the goverment if you have taken a loan from them to study further. Until you become a citizen, yiu cannot access a loan like this. If your children one day need a loan to study further, they take it out in their own right, it will have nothing to do with you.

Hope this is now more clear for you. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I am on holiday in NZ.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comprehensive answer @Mara

The more I find out, the less I realise I know .... Conscious incompetence is at an all time high ;)

Enjoy your holiday in NZ. 

I also downloaded an App called "Australian Tax Calculator" and this helps a lot ;) 

Well will be more helpful when im applying for jobs and looking at packages etc :)