We are rolling...

Darran

Home Affairs...what a shambles!

I received a notification last month that my unabridged birth certificate was ready for collection. Great! When I arrived at HA they said that they couldn't find my certificate and that the manager who was authorized to do re-prints was not at work that day!  I finally managed to get back there today, only to be told that my unabridged birth certificate was not showing on the system because I had actually applied for a marriage certificate...

After showing them the copies of the original application (with tracking number etc.) and receipt of payment for a Birth Certificate, I was told I needed to refill in the application paperwork to "push" the original application (no payment required)...whatever that means!

I really hope this doesn't develop into an issue, here's to hoping Home Affairs pulls one out the bag...

Edited by Darran

• 1 month later...

We've had a pretty productive past two days! I collected my Unabridged Birth Certificate yesterday (we now have all our UBC's for the family), and my wife's IELTS results came through today. So proud of my wife, her marks were Reading 9, Listening 9, Speaking 9 and Writing 8.5! All points in the bag!

We now have everything we need for our EOI.

We are considering waiting until next month to submit our EOI, so that we can try and time our Visa application for after the birth of our third child.  The idea being that we can then add him to our EOI and have all the necessary paperwork in place for the Visa application, to avoid the delays associated with a late addition, and to try for a direct grant. Is this wise? 

The main concern is obviously the change of the visa year, but we also want to have as quick a processing time as possible.

• Like 1

Yea...this is one for the experts to answer.
Good luck though!

• 2 weeks later...

EOI submitted! It almost feels unreal to finally be at this stage in the process...

• Like 4

Invite received!!! Wow, was not expecting it to happen in under 12 hours!  Current emotion: flabbergasted...I thought the next invitation round was only on the 12 April?

Edited by Darran
  • Like 2

If you believe in signs, that may just be one. Congrats :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

My son was born last week Wednesday (all went very well!) and I picked up his birth certificate this morning (pleasantly surprised by how quickly it all went at DOHA).  Hopefully we will be going back this afternoon to apply for his passport and to do our PCC's.  I filled out Form 80 - my word that took a lot longer than I was expecting - and have all our other documentation in hand. Hopefully we will be lodging in early May!

• Like 6

Congratulations :D 

Congratulations on the birth of your little man!

• 3 weeks later...

My sons passport application has FINALLY been accepted (very long story, but suffice to say I didn't think Home Affairs could sink any lower until this last experience...), and we also managed to get our PCC fingerprints and paperwork done (we will send this off next week via PostNet).  Just waiting to have my sons passport in-hand and we will lodge our application.  Can't wait!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, almost a year to the day since we decided to emigrate and we have finally lodged our Visa application.  It's quite difficult to explain the emotions, but after such a long haul I almost feel numb!  

The next step is to upload all our documents, so hoping that our internet connection here in the sticks stays connected consistently enough for this to be achieved!

Thanks to all who provided us with invaluable advice (both requested and "stalked"), we would most definitely not have gotten this far without this amazing forum!  Onward and upward!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

We are now officially fully seated and buckled into the waiting room!  

All our medicals have cleared and all documentation (including PCC's) has been uploaded.  Such an exciting space to be in, though I'm sure the anxiety will begin to build as the days to Grant build up...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@DarrenDid you wait for the birth of your before submitting the EOI? We should be ready soon to submit our EOI, just need to do the English test and receive the results. However, we are considering waiting to immigrate before we have a second child (not currently pregnant). 

Is it better to go ahead with our visa and do a separate child visa once baby is born (if we decide to stay that long) or should we put our application on hold, get pregnant have baby and then finalise?

Thanks!

@Darran What does your wife teach and what do you plan to do in Oz?

I say this because after the relief of getting here, you find that people here are highly skilled, competitive and clever. It means it's a lot tougher to get going and you see others living the lifestyle you believe you should have, but can't afford it. The best antidote to the depression that could set in then is to have a plan.

Do you have a plan that extends through your first 3 years in Oz?

• Like 1

@Clauderoy Wow, that's a pretty hectic life-question to try and answer for you! ? If I were in your position I would try and get to Aus as soon as possible, and have your second in Aus. I would rather have the Visa in hand and then make a decision on having a child in Aus vs. SA, at least give yourself the option. In my opinion, if you couldn't afford the extra cost of the child visa (if you choose to have a child before gozing) then you probably couldn't afford to move to Aus in the first place (though this doesn't seem to be the case with you)? We applied for our EOI before the birth of our third, but included him in our dependants. We then waited to get his passport before actually lodging the visa (within the 60 day period). Time will tell whether this was a wise decision...

@SimpleSimon Thanks for the advice! Between the two of us we have 5 degrees, so hopefully we will 1) fit in with the "skilled and clever" crowd and 2) have more than one career option once we get to Aus. With this being a public forum and all I don't really want to divulge our "plan", but suffice to say we have a good road map in place that should see us living a fulfilled life across the pond.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

How wonderful @Darran

Congratulations. I find that people are inherently good and have been humbled at how many are willing to help.

• Like 2

Congratulations @Darran that is wonderful news!  Now for the real adventure, all the very best with your move.

• Like 1

Congratulation @Darren. Its nice to hear someone else also planning to go to WA, seems quite rare nowadays. Good luck with the next part of the journey! 

• Like 1

Congratulations and good luck, have fun with the decluttering. 

• Like 1

@Darran, it's a pleasure ;) 

Best of luck with the last push to declutter and arrange logistics. Hope WA feels like home in no time :) 

• Like 1