IELTS Scoring for Auz Visa Points, remark writing?

Vann

Question

Good Day All.

I wrote my English Exam through IELTS as I am in the process of applying for the 189 or 190 Skilled Visa.  I have read various places, border.gov.au, and others, and some say you need a 'Band Score' of 8 or above for 20 points, and some read you need 8 or above for ALL modules (L, R, W, S).  My scores are as follows:

Listening : 8.5

Reading : 8.0

Writing : 7.5

Speaking : 9.0

Would the above suffice for the 20 points in the Visa Application as the overall Band Score is 8.5, or should I ask for a re-mark for my Writing module?  Has anybody got any advise here on what I should do, or has anybody else got a 'Band Score' Overall of 8 or above and got the 20 points, or because of the 7.5 I'll only get 10 points?

I need some advise here if I have to get a re-mark, or re write the whole exam (Id refer not to go this route).

Thanks very much! :)

Shaun

15 answers to this question

You need an 8 for each section.

How can I prove I have superior English?

To prove that you have superior English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• You have achieved a score of at least 8 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.

https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-superior-english

I know some people have done the Pearson exam the second time around and done really well as the format is a bit different.

There is not much success with having a re-mark (from what people have posted on here).

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.  Ill try book for the PTE English exam, its just that Pearson only have exam centres in Johannesburg, so I'd have to fly up there to write it.  Flights these days are not as cheap as they used to be, but I was looking to do the PTE exam over the IELTS.  Ill do the PTE exam, and again if its not what I wanted Ill then request my IELTS Writing to be remarked, and wait for the 8 weeks for results.

Thanks again!

@Vann perhaps have a look here and here as well. Some people have had success with a remark of the writing section. Like you we are also in CPT and would prefer to give Pearson a go, but Engineers Australia won't accept it unfortunately. There has also been some debate about the Pearson testing conditions (I didn't search for that thread but it came up a few months ago again). We were advised by a migration consultant that some clients have found Pearson easier, so that throws another opinion into the mix :)Good luck!

Hi Vann,

My husband received his scores today also. Like you, he achieved over 8s for all modules except one (funnily enough, he got a 7.5 for reading, which is so odd as he thought it went very well and was worried about writing, which ended up being fine :)).

It's so frustrating, but yes superior English is 8 in each band to get the 20 points. My husband booked already for the PTE up in Joburg. We have seen a lot of people commenting that they did much better in the PTE. My husband also likes the idea of computer based, as his hand writing is not great.

He writes PTE in 2 weeks, hoping that's enough time to prepare. For anyone who has written both, is the format of the test very different to IELTS? He will start studying this weekend and find out soon enough.

Crossing fingers that all goes well for you Vann next time around. When I spoke to our emigration consultant, he said they have SO many clients having the same experience (8s for all bands except 1).

Good luck & keep us posted!

• Like 1

Hi Jo

Thanks for your reply.  Yes that is strange, if I had to comment on this it would look as if IELTS knows that immigrants are after the 8 for all four modules for max points, and purposely make one just below so we have to pay extra for a remark, or worse, rewrite!  Make the most money out of people looking to migrate...

Ill also look to be flying up to JHB now to write the PTE exam, seems the exam marking is done digitally / electronically as its online based (for some modules), and not determined by human decision.

Good luck

The Australian Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection has no ownership interest in ILETS. ILETS has been around long before DIBP used it as a measure of English competence. In 2014 there were 2.5 million ILETS tests taken in over 140 countries. 51% of ILETS test takers are for pre assessment for higher education, mostly for USA universities.

South Africans are the second highest average scorers of ILETS (after Ireland) with an average band score of 7.5. The Irish got an average band score of 9.0!

English and Afrikaans first language takers are joint first with an average band score of 7.2.

If there is a money making process going on the Australian government is not in on it. Their willingness to accept other English language competence tests support that. 

About 6 years ago the then equivalent of the  DIBP did research on its immigration program and found that most, what were considered, failed immigrants were because they did not have adequate English skills, as a result the DIBP introduced ILETS (and later, other English competency tests) to improve the (I'm trying to think of a Politically correct word) quality of immigrants. Subsequent research has found this English testing to be a success.

English scores are actually one of the immigration criteria that can be changed in a relatively short time, months, rather than years, in the case of experience and qualifications.

If you make a spelling mistake in your reading or listening answer, the answer is wrong. If they ask for three words and you put down four, the answer is wrong. Often the multiple choice will have an answer that is close before giving the correct option, so many people automatically put that one down without carefully listening/reading all options. It is a very detail oriented exam.

I was in the exact same boat as you. I went the route of re-marking my writing pieces as I also felt it was worthy of a far higher score. It came back negative and I used my IELTS score as is.... scored 70points instead of 80points for expression of interest. I sent in my application and received my invite 6days later. I wouldnt worry about obtaining the extra 10points unless you need it.

Good luck!!!

On 6/17/2016 at 2:42 PM, Vann said:

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.  Ill try book for the PTE English exam, its just that Pearson only have exam centres in Johannesburg, so I'd have to fly up there to write it.  Flights these days are not as cheap as they used to be, but I was looking to do the PTE exam over the IELTS.  Ill do the PTE exam, and again if its not what I wanted Ill then request my IELTS Writing to be remarked, and wait for the 8 weeks for results.

Thanks again!

Hi @Vann

I know it has been a while since you last commented on this post but I was curious to know if you have booked a test date for your PTE English exam yet?

My husband writes this Friday, 8 July at the Cape Town test venue based in Claremont. I noticed that you live in Cape Town as well... 

Martine

Edited by MartineM

Hi MartineM

I havent booked my PTE Exam yet, and didn't even know it was now in Cape Town until you wrote this!  So thanks for that!  I have sent my IELTS for remark, but think Ill also do my PTE as I don't suspect my IELTS mark will increase.

Thanks so much for the info! :)

• Like 2

Absolute pleasure.

All of the best.

Martine

Hi @Vann,

Did you ever receive your remark result? 

My husband received a positive result from his remark for IELTS this morning, 10+ weeks later, so a long wait, but it is possible!

Writing mark went from 7.5 to 8, which is what we wanted, so we now have a total of 80 points(75 + 5). We will be lodging EOI/State Sponsorhip as soon as we receive the hard copy of the new test results.

Super stoked right now! :D

All the best!

2 minutes ago, Chezzy said:

Hi @Vann,

Did you ever receive your remark result? 

My husband received a positive result from his remark for IELTS this morning, 10+ weeks later, so a long wait, but it is possible!

Writing mark went from 7.5 to 8, which is what we wanted, so we now have a total of 80 points(75 + 5). We will be lodging EOI/State Sponsorhip as soon as we receive the hard copy of the new test results.

Super stoked right now! :D

All the best!

Hi there!!

Thats great news!  Wow, Im impressed!  I have not received my remark as of yet, I am also hoping to get my 7.5 in Writing up to an 8, so I am waiting patiently.  I will let you know as soon as I receive it.

Congratulations, and good luck with your EOI. :)

Regards,

Thanks so much, and I hope it works out for you too!

Perhaps you should give them a call? My hubby emailed them but they never responded, eventually, after my persistence, he called them on Friday and they said they would get back to him today, and then this happened! 

I look forward to hearing your outcome :)