IELTS Remark

JoleneW

Hi

Has anyone applied to have their IELTS test remarked?

Were you successful in securing a higher score and what is the cost of the remark?

I have missed obtaining a Superior English result which I need for points by just 0.5 in the writing section and am considering having it remarked rather than rewrite?

Any comments or advice?

Edited by JoleneW
  • Like 1

I have heard of people getting a better mark on a remark, especially on the writing portion, my suggestion would be to do it, especially if it is faster and cheaper?

• Like 1

We might consider this for my husband (see my signature). Does anyone know if there's a cut off date from writing the test to getting it remarked?

Edit: meh, you can only apply for a remark within six weeks of writing the test.

Edited by LMOdendaal

Hi JoleneW

I had the exact same situation sent for a remark and got the same result. A friend of mine also came down by 0.5 in another section sent for a remark and got the same result. It cost R1300.

However I read other posts on this forum where people were successful.

Hope that helps! Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the exact same boat....also missed it by .5 mark.

Anyone know that if you get a remark and scores are lower if those are then the ones you use or can you use either?

Good luck and hopefully more people are able to guide us....

Regards

Hi SJB

It is my understanding that if you send for a remark and your score goes lower that becomes your final mark.

Whether you can use it or not depends on your visa application requirement.

In my case I need a set minimum score in ALL bands therefore it doesn't matter what my average score is.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Pink

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the feedback - i am a qualified educational Psychologist but trying to get a 189 as a teacher as i have more experience that route :)

thanks for all your help and guidance

• 1 month later...

Hi, my wife wrote 3 times. The middle one we sent for remark as missed writing by 0.5. Remark cost R1140. We received an increased mark up to required rate but only issue was that the British council in SA sat on the result until after my wife had turned 45 so had to change to 489 instead of 190 . The remark was actually done in the UK well in time but the local lot are highly incompetent and never actioned with no recourse what so ever. I sent emails weekly but they just never responded. I suggest trying other English options I.e. Pearsons. Seems other sections you are less likely to get a higher mark as open to less interpretation.

Thanks Stubman.

I actually rewrote the Pearson test as I couldn't afford to wait for the 6-8 week lead time for the IELTS remark.