Opinions needed: Arriving in Brisbane - First nights in Hotel, B&B or striaght to AirBnB

riaanpdaddy

Hi guys,

From those of you that have already been through this, what's your opinion on the first couple of days arriving in Brisbane? Here's what we thought:

Seeing that we are selling most of our stuff and sending a small cube to arrive about 4 weeks after we arrive, I thought we should stay somewhere where we can get breakfast at least or easy dinners the first two nights upon arrival. We are 2 adults, 2 kids and an infant - so this does make it a bit tricky and costly. Thereafter I thought booking AirBnB for two weeks to give us time to find a rental. I will be working immediately and we know where we want to stay and what school the kids would like to go to.

Or do you think it would be possible to find a rental from SA and move in on 1 September 2 nights after we get there?

Riaan

• Like 1

Hi Riaan, 

If it was me, I would try and find a rental asap, especially if you know where you want to stay. I just think that with kids, the sooner you can get stability back in their lives the better. And I think the sooner you can change from restaurant eating to your own kitchen the better since restaurants are expensive in Aus.

There is plenty of South Africans over there who will help you out with all sorts of stuff to get you started. The first time we went over, there was so many people who came out and borrowed us beds, tv's, plates and mugs and even a fridge. 

You can also buy cheap second hand stuff at Opp shops that can help you out for the first weeks. I'm sure it will work out alot cheaper than all those restaurant dinners.  I can direct you to some of the good Opp shops over there - I'm a closet Opp shopper ?.

I can give you contact details of a good rental agent that we worked through when we were there.

Edited by Dora
  • Like 2

I vote for airbnb from the start because you have kids.  If you rent an entire home (which is what we always do) then you'll be getting a furnished place that will feel homely because it is actually somebody's home.  Choose something in the burbs and there'll be supermarkets close by.  Despite the cost, I'd say you'll need 2 weeks.  One week might be enough but it really depends on how certain you are of your chosen suburb and the availability of rentals at this time of year.  We usually order groceries online (Coles or Woolworths) to be delivered to our accommodation after our arrival.  They deliver as late as 9 pm so you can pick a time that will suit your arrival.

The thing with renting is that nowadays most states require you to view the place before you can sign contracts and also you are at the mercy of what is available at the time that you rent.  A rental will be empty so you'll need time to get furniture etc even if you are able to borrow from Saffas.  I just can't imagine renting any old place because you've only given yourself two days and that's all that's available that week. Seems like unnecessary chaos, particularly with kids.

• Like 3

I have heard of people who have had bad experiences with AirBnb, but ours so far has been really wonderful. The place we're renting looks exactly like the pictures online, and the owners are really nice. I would say: Read the reviews. It has also helped us (potentially, we are still in the process) to find longer rental accommodation, because we can now cite an Aussie reference from the area we want to rent in. Kinda, a foot in the door.

So I would recommend AirBnb for the first period.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dora said:

I can give you contact details of a good rental agent that we worked through when we were there.

Hi Dora, that would be fantastic. A referral is always better. Thanks a lot:) Perhaps send a personal message on the forum or e-mail me at coachpienaar@gmail.com

This all great advise, thanks so much. I feel better now about booking AirBnB immediately and not even bothering with a hotel for one night. We arrive 15:00, so that gives us more than enough time to get settled in and have a Coles/Woolies delivery that first night. How exciting!