Moose On The Moove

Moose2014

Hi all,

I realise that we have been in Australia for over 2 months and I have not posted a single update. *hangs head in shame* As you can imagine SO MUCH has happened in these two months, I will attempt to share as much info as I can in the hopes that this might prove helpful to fellow forumites. I will break these up into different posts, ain't nobody got time to type/read everything in one go.

Overall we really couldn't be happier/more fortunate with our experience so far.

LANDING AT BRISBANE AIRPORT:

This was a breeze. No major excitement or welcome when they scanned our passports (everyone says this is an anti-climax, so true after all the blood, sweat and tears to get the visas. Being able to live in this country is reward enough though :)). We had a few items I thought customs would want to inspect but they just waved us through - but DO DECLARE everything you're not sure about, they list these on the landing card. Our friends were there to pick us up and away we were! No queues, no nothing! The landing itself beautiful by the way, we landed around 8 am on a clear day so could see everything!

FIRST FEW HAZY DAYS:

The first few days went by in a flash. We were fortunate enough to have friends offer for us to stay with them in Coolangatta, Southern GC. Beautiful beaches - white sand and blue warmish sea water. They're renting a holiday apartment 100m from the beach so the resort even had a pool and jacuzzi! We were so lucky to be able to be spoilt with access to the beach, especially while we didn't' have a car. You must remember we'd just been in the UK for 2 years, so this Durbs girl couldn't get enough! We stayed awake until 9pm the first night which meant we didn't struggle with jet lag. We also managed to collect our Commonwealth bank cards (ask them to print you a proof of address while you're there for use later) and buy sim cards (Telstra prepaid $40 6GB data Unlimited calls) on the way home from the airport which meant we had immediate access to funds. We also managed to sign-up with Medicare and get our drivers licences converted in that first week using our bank letter, UK bank card, medicare card as proof of identity. We also bought a cheapie car which meant we were mobile! Busses work really well though! In QLD it's really worth getting a go card (at your local 7/11) as you then travel on lower rates.

Also sign up with your local library. It's free to join and use their computers - you only pay for printing. Excellent if you're needing to print multiple copies of whatever when trying to secure a rental - but more about that later.

We then spent most of our time, until hubby started work a month after our arrival, just being tourists. We went to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary (really worth a visit), went stand-up paddle boarding, climbed mount. Warning (hectic 3am start but so worth it), spent tons of time on the pristine Coolangatta beaches, went to Brisbane (lovely!) for a wknd (unfortunately the Bokke lost the rugby match we went to watch) and started our rental search.

That's it for now, will post again soon.

Good luck to everyone with whatever stage you're busy with.

Little Moose

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

On my last post (November) I said I'd post again soon...well apparently mid-Jan and over 2 months later is soon..but here goes anyway.

Overall life has been really good to us since our arrival in Aus. We're now settled in a lovely rental 10 mins from hubby's work in Burleigh Heads. Our dog and cat arrived safely at the end of October and we hosted my parents for an thoroughly enjoyable 3 weeks until mid-December. We explored the Gold Coast, did some hiking, went to shows, went on day trips, did some shopping and of course ate too much. We then followed this with quite a mellow Christmas and New Years with friends. Our dog loves the water and we spend many a weekend enjoying the pristine dog-friendly beaches and parks available.

Securing a rental was tricky as there is quite a lot of competition, especially if it's a good deal and in a good area. You're also limited to attending inspections at set times usually booked online. These can sometimes only be in a week's time or longer so finding a property on short notice and making sure that the inspection and move-in date is suitable and soon enough is tricky. Top tips would be to submit your application as soon as you can after the inspection (if not there) and write a personalised cover letter.

Hubby had fortunately secured a job from the UK and started end of September. He is thoroughly enjoying this and in this regard we wouldn't be happier after 2 years of a difficult situation in the UK.

I myself have struggled to secure a job to date. The time of year doesn't help as Aus goes into shutdown for most of Dec and Jan. I've even applied to work at our local Coles and other casual jobs as at this stage I just want to get out of the house and do something constructive whilst meeting people. Just when I thought I could not write another cover letter I heard yesterday that I have my first interview tomorrow so hoping this goes well! This is for a role related to my qualifications and experience, is 800m from hubby's work and the beach and looks like something I would enjoy. I'm just happy with getting an interview at this stage so whatever happens happens.

We're so grateful everyday to be living here, even in this heat wave :) Some of my favourite things about the Gold Coast/Aus so far are:

- The amazing weather (coming from a girl who grew-up in Durban and then lived in the UK for 2 years this is a winner even in 36C humid heat)

- The generally friendly and helpful people

- The beautiful, clean and tidy beaches and parks and other public amenities

- $1 slurpees (especially sour watermelon)

- The health and environment conscious attitude (so different from UK)

Some of my not so favourites:

- Internet struggles (we're unlucky enough to be living in a dead zone for even ADSL - there are no ports available. So we're limited to Optus home wireless internet and slow speeds - it's generally usable so it could be worse but I wasn't expecting this, coooome on NBN!)

- The M1 (highway between Gold Coast and Brisbane) and the way some people drive - almost on par with SA taxis

We're looking forward to the arrival of close friends next week who will stay with us until they find jobs.

Our families also plan to visit at the end of the year so that is also something to look forward to.

Good luck to everyone on your respective step in this journey!

Little Moose

• Like 4

@Moose2014 - Thanks for the post. Sounds awesome - good luck for the interview. 

As for the internet - I dont think I could survive without my internet :D

@FingersCrossed Thanks! It's generally OK. The occasional buffer while streaming Netflix or losing a Skype call. Just the jump of going from 100Mbps+ in the UK to max 5Mbps is a shocker. #firstworldproblembutshouldntbe

• Like 1

@Moose2014 - that is bit of a drop. At least you know that they will probably sort it out soon without the need for a corrupt tender and months of delays due to strikes or cable theft. :D

Good luck with the interview!