Moose On The Moove

Moose2014

Hi there fellow forumites,

I've been thinking about starting a journal on here for a while now and I've finally decided to give it a try. *all the usual upfront apologies for poor writing, grammar etc. apply* I've learnt so much and found so much comfort from my fellow forumites' posts and only hope that this can help someone else.

(Not So) Quick Catch-up:

I grew up in Durbs and very much enjoyed the warm coastal lifestyle. After school, I went to Pretoria where I studied Information Science and met my husband (a veterinarian) in 2011. After graduating we lived and worked in Cape Town for just over a year before getting married and moving to the UK in June 2014 on a sponsored visa (along with our cat). Our motivation for the move was to take advantage of the opportunity to see some of the world before thinking about eventually having kids, earn some pounds to pay those student loans off quickly and to be closer to my husband's parents who are also in the UK. We had no specific plans to stay or not stay in the UK but rather approached things with a 'let's see what happens' attitude.

Fast-forward to June 2015. After a year in the UK, one long, dark winter and other issues specific to our personal circumstances I had experienced enough to know that wasn't my forever-kind-of-place and not where I wanted to raise kids. Not saying the UK isn't a lovely place to live and raise kids, it's just not what I want. I started thinking about other options and looking into other places. With things in general on the decline in South Africa, although it was heart-breaking, we know this wasn't a realistic option/clever choice at this stage. The main driver for us was lifestyle, both craving the coast and the opportunities for adventure/ shift in priorities that generally come with it. After considering our options and tons of research, conversations with friends living in Aus, vets in Aus and our closest family and friends we decided we would try for Australia seriously/begin the process in Aug 2015. We set our sights on Queensland, and eventually decided to start off with the Gold Coast. At the time we heard that there was vet work available and the look of the city excited us. The 'touristy' vibe actually appealed to us after living in a quiet English town outside Cambridge we crave the energy and commotion. We are still in our twenties after all! After additional research and chatting to people living there we decided this was a good place for us to start off in Aus, if we didn't like it we could always try somewhere else. We also found out that our friends got transferred there coincidentally and that would mean we could stay with them to begin with which would be an immense help.

Because we were lucky enough that veterinarian was on the SOL we decided to apply for a 189 visa (after tricky experience with the UK sponsored visa we had no interest in 457) and started with my hubby writing IELTS in Aug 2015. Luckily he achieved above 7 bands scores for the test the first time and we had the required extra 10 points in the bag. We did however need to wait until the end of the year for him to qualify for 3 years' work experience for the extra 5 points to bring us to 60 points. We went on holiday to SA in Sept 2015 and applied for unabridged birth certificates and police clearance certificates (soooo much fun) while we were there. I also requested a letter from my school to prove my English proficiency.

We then spent Oct/Nov gathering all remaining required paperwork both for his skills' assessment and the visa application. He also had to be a member of the Queensland (our goal destination) Veterinary Surgeons' Board before applying for his skills' assessment with the Australasian Veterinary Board Council. For both the Surgeons' Board and Skills' Assessment we had to send all the paperwork to Aus by post.

We received news of the positive skill and work experience at the end of Jan 2016 and submitted our EOI immediately. We were fortunate enough to receive an invitation the very next round, sooner than anticipated. We lodged our visa application on the 11th of Feb, uploading everything and booked medicals for the 26th of Feb. I was nervous for the medicals as my husband had worked with some colleagues in Cape Town with TB but luckily everything went smoothly, his medicals were referred and took a few days longer to show up as cleared on our My ImmiAccount. After many sleepless nights (as we didn't use an agent I was always nervous I made a mistake somewhere) we finally received our grants in April 2016. Best email of my life!!!!

Today (15th May 2016):

As I type this I'm sitting on the couch of my in-laws' couch. We've given up our rental and have moved in with them to maximise savings for the next few months until we make the move. At the end of April we packed up our valuable/most practical items and these are in storage until the shipping company will ship these for us later. Not a lot of stuff, probably about 1/5 of a 20 ft container. We are using PSS Removals and a shared container (eek), they seem to have a good reputations for UK-AUS shipping. I will update on this when we're on the other side and receive our belongings. Touch wood, all goes well.

On Friday we booked our flights! That is it, we're going! 25th of August is the day! We're flying Heathrow - China, China - Brisbane and our lovely friends are collecting us at the airport. China Southern airlines were also kind enough to give us an additional luggage allowance because we're migrating. That means we each get 3 x 23kg which is plenty considering we only have some of our clothes and personal belongings but good to have it if we need it. Hoping the airline itself is OK, reviews seem fine. We only have a 4-hour layover as we decided to not explore China at this time.

The plan is for my hubby to start locuming as soon as he can for some income and I hope to setup some interviews for shortly after our arrival. We also plan to purchase a car soon after we arrive. We will have enough cash saved to tide us over until we find work, hopefully, with emergency cash available if we need.

Once we're settled we will send for the animals (we acquired a naughty whippet in the UK) whose migration process is just as complicated and more costly than our own. But that is a story for another day. Luckily they are staying with the in-laws until we're ready.

My husband has given notice as he had to give three months' worth. I will give notice in June as my notice period is shorter.

So far this journey has been super challenging, dealing with the admin of it all, the emotional aspect, mixed reactions from friends and family. No support from some, joy from others. The financial implications of the move, but knowing this is a priceless investment in our future. Feeling bat sh*t crazy, having to keep this HUGE secret from close colleagues at work, feeling super excited and then super nervous. Packing up all our stuff, getting rid of the stuff that just isn't worth taking, scrubbing the oven in our rental before moving out. All of these things being physically and emotionally exhausting. Right now we're just itching to go. We've tried to fill-up our weekends with friends and the family we have here to maximise on the time we have left with them. We got to tickets to Wimbledon (bucket list tick for me), we've booked a seaside weekend away with the in-laws and we're going for massages on Tuesday for our anniversary.

For anyone starting out on this journey, the best advice I can give so far is to just take it one day at a time, celebrate each 'victory' and try not get overwhelmed with what's still left to do. But yes, we're not even there yet so let's see how this goes...

Until next time,

Little Moose

• Like 7

Enjoyed reading your story so far - cant wait to hear more.

Your visa process followed a similar timeline to ours but we are only planning the move in Jan 2017.

My husband turned down a wonderful job offer in the UK (we are currently in South Africa) and we decided to put all our eggs in the Oz basket - luckily we received our 189 visa without to much hassle but him getting the right job in Australia is a big worry for us still. But despite having lots of close family in the UK my husband was adamant that we would have a much better quality of life in Australia (the temp nature of the UK visa also bothered us) so even though we had never visited Australia we pushed through with the visa. We are going over in July to validate and for my husband to meet with potential employers - he is a civil engineer.

What line of work are you in?

Love your post Moose and all the best with the remainder of your journey. I'm sure you will love the Gold Coast, especially the weather!

Exciting stuff @Moose2014 on the Moove :lol:

As a fellow vet family we will definitely follow your story closely. Please keep us posted.

All the best

Hi all,

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far!

@emmayenkanna cheers to smooth sailing for us all!

@JackoFam I'm sure the validation trip will go well with regards to getting feelers out for a job for your hubby, I know it's tricky to secure employment generally without the employer having met you first so this should help a ton, will  be holding thumbs for you! Someone once told me that living in the UK for an ex-South-African is just existing, not LIVING. Sums up my experience pretty well. Bearing in mind we had some extra negatives over and above the weather to deal with because of our personal situation. Of course you can make the best of it, but when you grew up like I did, outside and active majority of the time, it's really hard to be satisfied with this grey lifestyle knowing what I'm missing out on and what my kids (one day) will miss out on if we stayed here. We've never been to Australia, but I KNOW we're going to love it, not all of it, and it's not going to be rainbows and ice cream all the time, but I do know I can't stay here. Luckily we're early in our careers and kidless, so we can 'wing-it' to a certain extent. Excited to venture into the unknown and feel super blessed for the opportunity!

I'm currently working at Cambridge University Press on the platforms that we have for our books' digital content, I'm in a project management'ish' role, also managing the building of a new app. Really loving it here and will be sad to go. So I will hopefully look for something similar in digital project management and not too fussy about the industry. But am also open to trying something completely different.

@Dora Really hope so! Really enjoyed getting rid of the majority of my thick winter stuff :)

@WayneACT Good luck with everything on your end too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from this end:

Last week we each opened our own bank account through Commonwealth Bank. Really easy to do online, but you have to be within 3 months of arriving in Australia. Have a few friends who recommended the bank so we will see how things go. I've also heard ANZ and NAB are good.

We've asked that the shipping company aim to deliver our goods to us around the 19th of September. We then have the option to have this stored for free for a month if we're not ready yet.

In other exciting news, hubby received a good job offer. We're still looking into this and discussing the contract but essentially it will be a locum position for Gold Coast/South Brisbane but mainly being located at one specific clinic in the Gold Coast. This affords us the luxury of having an income almost immediately after arrival but at the same time allows us to be flexible and decide which areas we like and see where I get a job. It seems there is a lot of work around for vets in the area, particularly locum work so we are blessed in this regard. I'm going to start applying for suitable roles for myself a little closer to the time and ideally have an interview or two (or as many as I can get) lined up for when we arrive. But we will see how things go once I start applying and I'm well aware from my experience with job hunting the UK that this may take more time than expected. The important thing is we have money to tide us over for some time and hopefully one job in the works.

With 85 days to go until we depart I'm getting ready to hand in my notice at work. There is a chance of them offering me the opportunity to continue my role remotely, this could potentially work as our dev team is based in Manila so my hours would be more similar to theirs than now (while we're in the UK). I don't know how I would react to this, I had a similar experience when moving to the UK working for my CT company remotely and it didn't pan out. That being said their (the CT company) promises weren't kept and the role was different. I guess I will think more about this if it is actually put on the table when I inform my current employer of our plans.

Otherwise we're trying to get the dog and cat's stuff in order for their 'great trek'. Hubby is sorting this out though so I'm not sure of all the details and requirements but I do know this is nearly as complicated and MORE costly than our visas. The cat actually has come with us from South Africa so by the time he's in Aus he will be quite the traveller! And a bloody expensive cat too! We also still need to figure out how to get them from the quarantine facility to the Gold Coast. We're going to give ourselves 2 months before they arrive to secure a pet-friendly rental. Hoping this is enough! I'm going to put together a 'this is us' pack as suggested somewhere on this forum with a little info about us and the animals as well as references. Hoping this will help secure a rental sooner.

We're organising a farewell for a couple of weeks before we leave. I'm actually feeling really calm about everything, surprisingly so. Although I will miss my friends at work, in-laws and other friends we've made in our time here (it's been 2 years now) I feel much more at ease about this move than our move to the UK from SA and overall I'm just feeling excited and optimistic...with a slight dash of nervousness ;) 

Until next time,

Little Moose

• Like 3

Hey @Moose2014! That is great news, congratulations on the job offer! We put our house in the market a month ago, the first offer we received did not pan out so were hoping the second purchaser is able to raise the required funds. As soon as we hear the house is sold, it is also job hunting time for us!

Loved the story about the great world traveller cat, if my dog was any younger (and smaller) he would also make the 'great trek' with us. Instead I will have to Skype the little bugger every week since we decided that it is better if he stays here with my sister. At 15 years old, I really do not want to put him through the stress of the whole quarantine and flying process. Going to miss him tremendously but he loves my sister and I made sure that he has a "trustfund" for all the food and snacks that he loves.

Good luck with the rest of the arrangements, sounds like you have everything well in hand!

• Like 1

@Moose2014 What a lovely synopsis of your adventure to Australia! My family and I are also relocating end-Aug, from JHB to Sydney then to Brisbane. We've got accommodation with an AirBnb for a couple of weeks while we find a rental. We are in the fortunate position that my hubby started on a contract with the company he'll be working for in Brisbane while still in SA, so one of us is employed from the get-go. I've got 3 kiddoes (one tiny baby included) so I wont be working for quite some time. 

We're also moving out end-June to stay with my parents and my in-laws until we leave, and our farewell party is planned for Mid-Aug.

It's so exciting to know someone else who'll be in Brisbane/Gold Coast area from eng-Aug... wishing you a great couple of months till then! 

Keep well! I am sure everything will go swimmingly. 

• Like 2

Hi both @CyberJoe and @ClaireP aka Mrs @riaanpdaddy lol!

@CyberJoe holding thumbs for you re: selling the house! And I laughed at your doggy's 'trustfund'. But yes much better for the little guy at 15 to not deal with all the drama. Our boys are 3 (cat) and 2 (dog) so they should (hopefully) be fine, I'm nervous about it but have to keep the eyes on the prize. We're trying to do all we can to be prepared as much as possible but I guess for all of us there will be some extent of 'winging it' going on. I'm sure you've mentioned it before but where are you guys looking at moving to?

@ClaireP congratulations on your littlest one, I remember when your husband shared the news of the birth. Didn't you get your grant on the same day? And yes lovely to think we will arrive at a similar time, we should meet up for a braai once we're all a little settled. Looking so forward to it!

Good luck all with final admin/organising before the Aus-side admin/organising begins once we land, eek!

Little Moose

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The latest:

Since I wrote last there have been many developments - I have given notice at work and as I suspected we discussed the 'working remotely' option but in the end both parties agreed it would be mutually beneficial to make it a clean break. I definitely think it's the best decision for me, this is based on my working remotely experience upon arrival in the UK, you immediately cut yourself off from what could potentially be a supply of new friends at work, you're stuck in the house, don't get to know any of the areas, just not for me. I've updated my resume and LinkedIn and have started looking at some opportunities. There are a few that look interesting which I plan to apply for this weekend but with our arrival still two months away (and three until I want to start working) I'm not too optimistic about a response but you never know...

Hubby has however had a fantastic response to his applications and has narrowed it down to three options. That is if he doesn't decide to go solo and locum for the first few months to get a feel for the area. All three of the potential employers seem lovely and reasonable down-to-earth people (or from what you can tell from Skype and email anyway) and at the end of the day we do have PR so if he accepts an offer and is not happy after a few months nothing is stopping him from moving. This is not a luxury we have in the UK and we are so grateful/excited/relaxed about the situation because of it. Since he has given his notice his work environment has become more challenging and I think he is desperately counting down the days. Which is actually really sad, but also not of his own doing.

We've managed to obtain import permits for the dog and cat and will book quarantine this weekend. So making progress there too.

We also had the drama last week of the UK's BREXIT outcome. Luckily we had thought about it and bought a bunch of Aussie $ with our pounds which I'm super relieved about. But the atmosphere in my office is very gloomy and many of my colleagues are still shocked at the outcome as most of then had voted 'IN'. We also have many EU colleagues in our office and the uncertainty is very difficult for them. It's the first time in my two years in the UK that I don't feel like the UK government have most of their ducks in a row. And then there was the knock-out of England in the Euros against Iceland which I don't give a hoot about, but also has a definite affect on the mood. Summer has also just completely failed to appear and I'm still walking home in pouring rain most afternoons. But enough doom and gloom...

The countdown is ON! 57 sleeps until we're on that plane. And we're going to Wimbledon next week (eeeeeeeeeeeeek!) and have many other fun things lined-up for before we leave. So focusing on the positive! We've also organised a farewell at work and one for our local friends so will be nice to see everyone that last time before we leave.

My best friend is also at medicals stage for PR so holding thumbs her and her hubby will make the move early 2017.

That's all for now!

Good luck to whoever reading this for whatever stage you're in at the moment.

Little Moose

Edited by Moose2014
Typo
  • Like 1

Congrats @Moose2014, sounds like things are moving! I am slightly envious of veterinarians in general at present. So far companies I have applied for have either not responded at all or insisted that they want someone within 30 days. I do understand how IT works with deadlines etc pushing hiring decisions but that veterinarians can arrange to start working in three months or more time is enough to make me seriously envious! My wife has also handed in her notice, she really got along well with her boss and decided to give two months notice instead of the normal month. So pretty soon it will also be job-hunting time for her as well, if you have any good links where jobs are advertised, please pass them on, will be much appreciated.

Good luck on that side with the rain, pretty sure you will have a lot less of that in 57 days :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hi @CyberJoe,

Yes the difference in recruitment for us geeks and vets is like night and day. I think the main difference is generally you have a one or few at most vets running/owning a practice so they have the luxury of being able to be more transparent about plans. They also do the recruitment themselves generally (unless it's a big corporate which is more common in UK and Aus) and I think because experienced vets are scarceish on the Gold Coast at the moment we are fortunate that he is very much in demand.

http://www.kookaburravets.com/Australia/IndexOz.htm is a great site where jobs are advertised and we were referred to use this by two vets in Aus and hubby found two of his prospects here.

There is also a super useful Facebook group called 'Veterinary Employment and Locum Network' where he found the third.

Good luck with the search for both of you! I've almost resigned myself to the fact that I will at least need to be in Aus first for interviews and will not get very far remotely but you never know! I'm definitely going to try land something before we get there but not stress too much if I don't.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Little Moose

@Moose2014, i am so enjoying reading your updates. its good to know that there is many of us going through the same thing. My husband and I have not given notice yet at our workplaces for fear of victimisation...lol, will inform them a month before. We have each downloaded a countdown timer app which tells us how many days until resignation, last day of work, leaving for zim and leaving for Brisbane...etc. We have started selling our furniture, my kitchen is almost empty with 4months to go. we have a guy who specialises in selling home contents for people that are relocating coming over hopefully that will go we... We contacted Roland from ITouch to do our cv's, they look amazing and we have started looking for jobs, staying positive for positive feedback.

Since we got the grant letter waking up in the morning to go to work has been such a mission. The moment you get in the office feels so good coz you know your time there is now limited but you continue working hard as if everything is normal. my husband is going away on a project coming back in our last month...will give our landlord 2month notice end of August...our parents our have been the best supporters, if it were up to them we would have left long ago lol, knowing that we have their support makes it so much easier. The only thing we can think off is how awesome it will be for them to flyover and see us....that we cannot wait for...

we will only open accounts in august September thereabouts...good luck with everything else.

Hi @Theshi,

I also have one of those apps on my phone...56 sleeps until we fly heehee :)

Good luck with the selling and job hunt, crossing fingers for you!

Don't worry I know the feeling. My work environment is fantastic and I'm sad to leave my good friends at work but it is hard to stay motivated, I'm trying my best but you can't help thinking "What's the point?" in the back of your head, especially when there are stressful times. Eye on the prize, eye on the prize.

You're so lucky that your parents are so supportive, we've had some issues on this side although things are going much better now, and yes, can't wait for their first visit. My parents are already looking at flights heehee!

Good luck with it all, who knows perhaps we will meet one of these days?

Little Moose

@Moose2014 Thank you for that website! We just had a quick peek through some of the ads and we cannot believe how awesome some of those practices are. E.g. This one: http://www.kookaburravets.com/Australia/Permanent/pictures/My_Vet/my_vet.htm It looks incredible! Never thought of it, but a lot of the positions actually offer accommodation included. That would be a HUGE bonus for the first few months we are over there.

• Like 1

Hi @CyberJoe,

Happy I could be of help! Hubby accepted offer on Friday. It's a new practice that hasn't opened yet so very exciting but daunting eeek! Good luck with the search! And yes accommodation could be a HUGE help! Have you decided Sydney vs. Melbourne? You fly 20 days before us!

Little Moose

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today marks 28 sleeps until we get on to that plane and 15 days left at my lovely job with lovely friends (sob). It also feels like the rate at which time goes by has just about doubled and I feel like I blink and another day has gone by. This is both scary and really exciting, I'm starting to feel the nervous/excited butterflies in my stomach flap their wings a little harder. It's also still all really surreal and I think the combination of this nervousness/excitement, present living situation stresses, leaving a job I love and just generally having a tough time over the last two years in the UK, might mean I completely burst into tears when we finally walk through to arrivals in Brisbane airport. If you're reading this and going down this same rabbit-hole-with-a-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-I-hope then you may be able to relate.

So a quick update on what we've been up to - both Aus move and non-Aus move related (balance is key to this saga):

- We went to Wimbledon and I saw the Williams sisters play up close and personal - childhood dream realised :) For any tennis fans this is really an experience and so worth it if you ever have the opportunity

- We've started saying our farewells and spent a fun weekend in London with different groups of friends there

- We've organised work and non-work farewells (ordered the boerewors, delegated the making of the peppermint crisp pudding and planned for the braaibroodjies for the non-work - Saffa friends one)

- We've finalised the dog and cat's quarantine stay and paid (eeek) - they should be with us at the end of October, we still need to pay for their flights though (another eeek)

- Our belongings are being shipped next week for arrival mid-September, this hopefully gives us enough time to secure a rental, if not this will go into storage until we're ready

- We're going to put the ad up for the car after this weekend's trip to see family (and go see Wicked on The West End) YAY!

- I've kicked-up healthy eating i.e. less sugar and more working out (genuinely helps me feel better)

- Gone to dentist for check-ups

- Started applying for jobs for myself similar to my current role and in good locations (applied to three so far, not too optimistic but let's see what happens)

- Started compiling 'Arrival To-dos' list based on several threads on this forum

- Most importantly we've booked tickets for the SA/Aus rugby match in Brissy on the 10th of September with our friends, we're making a weekend of it by booking an AirBnB which will allow us to see more of Brissy

- Started watching a fantastic new retro (set in the 80's) ET/Stephen King-like series on Netflix called 'Stranger Things' which is highly recommended if you're in to that sort of thing

We still need to figure out how we're getting to Heathrow as our car will hopefully be sold and even then we wouldn't fit all four of us (hubby's parents will take us for send-off) and our 6 bags so will most likely hire a bigger car for the day. I also need to STOP buying stuff but that Wimbledon towel was just so beautiful and will come in handy for the beach :) My plan is to also start compiling a 'who we are' pack for when we apply for rentals next week to have that ready to go when we land although there is no super urgency to find a place.

I found out today that my parents have booked their tickets to visit us Nov-Dec time, we haven't seen them since September so this will be really exciting for us. I can not explain how thrilled I am about this.

I'm really trying to enjoy the last while here, the weather is playing along to some extent and we had a few stunning days last week. But it is nippy and raining as I speak, this is England after all :) 

Overall apart from a minor panic attack every now and then, I feel like we're on-track and as prepared as we can be (famous last words much?)

Good luck with whatever stage of the process you're in. Remember to take it one day at a time and celebrate every victory.

Little Moose 

Edited by Moose2014
typo
  • Like 5

Thanx for the update Little Moose. They are packing our container tomorrow...we will arrive in  Brissie on the 8th of Sept.

Good luck with the rest of your farewells and all you still have to do before you board your flight.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Moose2014 Hey lil Moose!

I messed the dates up so you are in fact flying before us! Its been crazy on this side with all the admin and resignations and selling cars and house and packing and... and stuff :D My wife has not yet really started searching for a job, only sent her CV through to a few places yesterday. The lack of job hunting is not because we don’t need jobs, its simply that is been to darn busy with everything else. What has been amazing though is the very impressive veterinary clinics we saw from the link you previously sent. Very few South African clinics look that professional in my opinion!

Good luck with the last bit, hope you keep posting when you guys land! Holding thumbs that you enjoy it!

Cheers!

• Like 1

@Moose2014

Woah...you fly next week??? It's stressful and exciting all at the same?

Hope your travels go smoothly :D 

• Like 1

Hi all and especially @Dora @RedPanda and @CyberJoe,

Just a mini update as I have finished my last task on my to-do list at work and am about to give my laptop back permanently and then head off to the bar for my farewell and then that's it! HECTIC. Luckily we had the formal and emotional farewell yesterday so tonight should just be a night out with the work crowd in Cambridge :) Still can't believe how the last few weeks have flown by. Hubby finished work yesterday. We now have only 6 sleeps until we fly.

I feel calmer than I thought I would. I think this is because this process has TAKEN SO LONG that we had enough time to get to everything (famous last words and standby for the panicked update). Our last few remaining to-dos include scrubbing our shoes to get rid of any traces of soil, I want to buy a photograph of our local cathedral (http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/cambridgeshire/hi/people_and_places/religion_and_ethics/newsid_8282000/8282679.stm) to hang up in our Aus home, submit our tax returns (hopefully we get some £ back) and pack. We've organised to borrow the neighbour's double cab Hilux to fit all four of us (us two and in-laws who want to take us to the airport) and 6/7 suitcases. Thank goodness for this as we were quoted £200 for a big enough taxi to Heathrow.

Our belongings are well on their way and due to arrive in Brisbane port mid-September as promised, here's hoping they make it!

Animals are set to fly in Oct and they should be with us at the end of October. I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to them next week :( but it will all work out in the end. I've deliberately fattened them up a little as I suspect they will eat little during transit and quarantine due to stress.

We still haven't sold our car yet which is disappointing but luckily my in-laws have agreed to sell it on our behalf. This isn't perfect as it means we have less funds to buy a car when we get to Aus so we're contemplating renting a cheapie until this sells. Anyone have any thoughts on this or ideas?

We decided to do something crazy and have entered a Olympic distance triathlon in March. This gives us something to work towards and look forward to. We did a few shorter ones in South Africa so with some training this should be really fun and I'm really excited about it. We also found out yesterday our close friends had their 189 granted which adds to our excitement. I haven't heard anything back from the roles I've applied for but am not letting this get to me and it was sort-of expected so will carry on with my job search once we're in Aus. At least hubby has his job lined-up to start end Sept so this means there is slightly less pressure.

My next update will most likely be from Aus...eeeek! Chat soon!

Little Moose

• Like 4

Hi Moose, 

Good luck with the landing in Brisbane. It is 19 sleeps for us. We should meet up in Brissie. Hope you have a soft landing and all goes well.

• Like 1

I Like your post @Moose2014, but....(this is a regular problem for me: You have reached your daily limit of 20 Likes, and cannot Like any more posts)

All the best on your travels!

• Like 1