Construction Project Manager

SandyV

Question

Hi,

We have recently decided that we would like to immigrate to Australia, just a bit of a hick-up we're facing:

My husband is in the construction industry, he worked for a company as a Site/Project Manager for 15+ years, a year ago he started his own Construction & Maintenance company. The problem (I think it would be) is that he doesn't have any qualifications, he finished his Gr.12 in 1998 and started working for the company in 1999 up and until last year. 

My questions:

* Has anyone had a similar situation and still had their visa granted?

* What is the best route to go to have his skills assessed?

I've emailed Vetassess a week ago, but still haven't received any feedback. I've seen on www.abs.gov.au under Construction Managers: 

• At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Yours is one of those cases where you really need a migration agent.

@TeeTMI can probably answer this better.

Thank you for the reply @RYLC I really hope a migration agent would be able to help me.

Hi Sandy

Welcome to the forum

Under current regulations and policy, Vetassess would not be able to provide a positive skills assessment for a Construction Project Manager without an appropriate qualification.

The details you have seen on www.abs.gov.au  re  5 plus years work are a general expectation in the Australian work force (as opposed specifically to migration).  Using this occupation there maybe options within the employer sponsored stream (temporary / regional ?) depending upon your circumstances and eligibility.

Under the skilled stream there may possibly be the option to look at other potential occupations depending upon your husbands skill set and duties?

Edited by TeeTMI

Hi @TeeTMI ,

Thank you for the reply.

What do you suggest we do first? 

Kind regards,

Sandy