6 month validity of passport upon arrival in Aus and activating PR visa required?

Moose2014

Question

Hi all,

We're a married SA couple living in the UK with only SA passports. Does anyone know if there is certain amount of time your passport must still be valid for when you enter Aus for your visa activation/arrival to stay permanently? We will be on 189 visa. If all goes well with visa (we're in limbo land of waiting for our grant) we will need to enter before 21 October as this is when our PCC expires but we're planning on entering end Aug/Sept due to work commitments here. My husband's passport expires 15th Feb 2017. We decided to wait until we're in Aus for him to renew from there, we're currently in the UK and wait time is around 4 months apparently so we will be cutting it close if we did it here, will need to update his passport no. with Aus for our visa and I don't want to schlep to London if we don't have to. I've googled this to death and can't find a comprehensive answer and all I could find is that if you're on a tourist visa your passport only needs to cover the length of your stay. This is different to most countries which require that you're passport is still valid for 6 months upon entry.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure before we either start the application process here or try plan our entry date so that we know we're safe?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Check it with other forum members as well, but as far as I know the only passport requirement is for them to grant a visa. So I think they want the passport to be valid for at least 6 months when you apply for the visa, but I don't think they care too much when you do the actual visit on the passport-visa combo. I suppose your passport has to be valid for the duration of your stay, but I don't think they care too much if it expires soon after you exit.

But just double check this.

Edited by RedPanda
So many typos!
  • Like 1

So hubby called Aus embassy in UK yesterday and lady confirmed passport has to be valid when we enter but that is it. So hubby can renew from Aus once we're there. Such a relief. She did however warn us to check with airlines as they might have their own 6 month rule and be funny when we're checking in to fly.

• Like 1